(9/25/77-12/23/08)

OT: SpaceBalls Sequel???

Press here for more info
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Something tells me the Schwartz may not be with this one. There's no topping the original.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I never really "got" Mel Brooks' movies, including Spaceballs. And, after seeing Men in Tights in a theater (the most painful 104 minutes of my life), I doubt I'd ever see another MB movie...
Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

please NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

spaceballs sucks spaceballs. one of the worst movies ever.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If'n you think this sequel wouldn't be any good, how about . . .

THIS ONE!!!!!

'The Lost Boys' Sequel Finally Gaining Steam?
Get more on Vampire Movies | Posted 08.23.04 @ 11:59 pm ]

It has taken over 15 years, but finally the talk is rising again. Dark Horizons reports that with the special edition two-disc set of The Lost Boys drumming up sales and interest, talk has begun once again about a sequel, which would reunite much of the cast. The cast included the famous Corey Haim and Corey Feldman.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

uh, I think you are forgetting about Rocky VI.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #8
gi
College Prospect

Damn...Spaceballs was a great movie. Spaceballs 2, the search for more money...I believe I have quote right.

One of the most quoteable movies ever. Classic.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
Danny
Head Coach

Space balls is very funny, as are several of Brooks' films. He's had some clunkers in there too.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 AM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Moichendising!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:00 AM   #11
hukarez
College Starter

Ridiculous speed!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

What's the matter colonel Sanders...chicken?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
If'n you think this sequel wouldn't be any good, how about . . .

THIS ONE!!!!!

'The Lost Boys' Sequel Finally Gaining Steam?
Get more on Vampire Movies | Posted 08.23.04 @ 11:59 pm ]

It has taken over 15 years, but finally the talk is rising again. Dark Horizons reports that with the special edition two-disc set of The Lost Boys drumming up sales and interest, talk has begun once again about a sequel, which would reunite much of the cast. The cast included the famous Corey Haim and Corey Feldman.

Any chance that they will be able to secure Haim and Feldman for the sequel? If they do, box office records will be broken.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

SPACEBALLS! One of the best movies of all time. Hell, a sequal may work, it just depends on how it is done.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

SpaceBalls 2 just won't be the same without John Candy.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #16
gi
College Prospect

Bah! Just get his stunt double to play the part!
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #17
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I love Mel Brooks movies, my favorite is History of the World Part I. Spaceballs was sweet.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #18
Ramzavail
College Starter

I bet she gives great helmet.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
SpaceBalls 2 just won't be the same without John Candy.

Agreed.

Then again, it also has the problem of being made in now rather than then. The tone of humor in the 80s was a lot different than now. It'll either be edgy and not very Mel Brooks or just not that funny to today's audiences who require something profane or offensive to be funny rather than just witty.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I don't know; Rick Moranis swearing might be funny.

"Bring me Spaceballs the Movie, mfer."
Old 09-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #21
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I never really "got" Mel Brooks' movies, including Spaceballs. And, after seeing Men in Tights in a theater (the most painful 104 minutes of my life), I doubt I'd ever see another MB movie...

Ever seen Blazing Saddles?

That's odd, I would have thought Brooks would appeal to you.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #22
The_herd
College Starter

Men in Tights is the best version of Robin Hood ever.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:32 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Then again, it also has the problem of being made in now rather than then. The tone of humor in the 80s was a lot different than now. It'll either be edgy and not very Mel Brooks or just not that funny to today's audiences who require something profane or offensive to be funny rather than just with.

Going off on a tangent here...

Ever see Napolian Dynamite? Not sure if it's still out in theaters. It was a comedy rated PG and was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's one I'll be grabbing on DVD once it comes out. 100% clean humor.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:57 PM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin
Ever seen Blazing Saddles?

That's odd, I would have thought Brooks would appeal to you.

I've watched bits and pieces of it, but it just didn't do anything for me. Watched some History of the World the other night, and pretty much the same - a few chuckles here and there, but overall...meh. Nowhere near as bad as Men In Tights, mind you, but that ain't saying much.

I agree, I would think he'd be right up my alley, but the humor just doesn't do it for me.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

I have to concur with The_Herd, Men in Tights makes me laugh to this day. I mean, the Patriot Arrow? Great stuff!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:34 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

Ever see Napolian Dynamite? Not sure if it's still out in theaters. It was a comedy rated PG and was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's one I'll be grabbing on DVD once it comes out. 100% clean humor.
Maybe I'll give it a shot when it hits video. To be honest, it just looked incredibly stupid. But that could just be the ad agencies for the movie.

And it's not that I'm decrying a little blue humor- it's good for a change of pace, but so many people make it the focus of their routines these days. I can count on one hand the number of routines these days that don't have more than 1/3rd of their time devoted to some loser commedian's sex life.

Also, I think there's a huge distinction between the language commedians use and the content. Take, for instance, a classic like Dennis Leary's "No Cure for Cancer". He swears a blue streak but it's because that's how he talks. But the punchline of his joke isn't "heh heh, I said 'fuck' in a funny way". Same with, say, Dennis Miller. Like him or hate him, he's well known for his commedic stylings and he swears a lot, too, but it's in his verbage not the crux of his message. Even Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words" sketch is more about the linguistics of the words and why they ended up as profane words (in a humorous light, of course) than anything else.

Anyways, I got off on a tangent here. But the whole point, going back to my initial post, is that the most widely accepted humor is stuff that's edgy but has very little thought behind it. Whereas Brooks is more witty and innocent humor so I doubt it'd play nearly as well and would suffer the same problem as most sequels made years after the fact.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-28-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:22 AM   #28
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Ridiculous speed!

Really? I prefer ludicrous speed...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #29
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This just in...

Pizza the Hut has eatten himself to death.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #30
SackAttack
Head Coach

And coming up next, our review of Rocky Five...Thousand!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #31
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this thread has gone from suck to blow.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:04 PM   #32
Craptacular
College Starter

Spaceballs is one of my top three movies of all-time. I'm not sure if I'd want a sequel (another chance at a hilarious movie) or not (can't possibly live up to the original). Maybe I should consult Yogurt.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:08 PM   #33
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Really? I prefer ludicrous speed...

they've gone plaid.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #34
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
please NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,

gotta echo ct on this one.

If you want to see a good Star Wars spoof, watch Hardware Wars...if you want to waste a couple of hours of your life, watch Spaceballs.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 PM   #35
haji1
Mascot

I still laugh my butt off when I watch Spaceballs, so there is no need for another one. Blazing saddles, men in tights, the princess bride, they just don't make them like that anymore. Nor should they try.
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:50 PM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dink dink.

Dink dink dink DINK DINK DINK....
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #37
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
gotta echo ct on this one.

If you want to see a good Star Wars spoof, watch Hardware Wars...if you want to waste a couple of hours of your life, watch Spaceballs.

Thumb Wars is pretty good too though it's only 3/4 of an hour or so.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji1
I still laugh my butt off when I watch Spaceballs, so there is no need for another one. Blazing saddles, men in tights, the princess bride, they just don't make them like that anymore. Nor should they try.

Yeah. I just can't think of too many flat out comedies in the last 10 years. Most are either romantic comedies (blech!), really stupid juvenile humor, or quirky indy films that aren't really funny but think they are.

SI

Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #39
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I hope they dont ruin the leagacy of a great masterpiece.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:12 PM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yeah. I just can't think of too many flat out comedies in the last 10 years. Most are either romantic comedies (blech!), really stupid juvenile humor, or quirky indy films that aren't really funny but think they are.

SI

You don't think Spaceballs had a lot of juvenille humor? Mel Brooks is the KING of the stupid juvenile humor genre... though he actually makes good movies in that area. I mean, Hell, the best fart joke in history was in Blazzing Saddles.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
You don't think Spaceballs had a lot of juvenille humor? Mel Brooks is the KING of the stupid juvenile humor genre... though he actually makes good movies in that area. I mean, Hell, the best fart joke in history was in Blazzing Saddles.

Yes, but Mel Brooks has a lot more going for his movies. It has all facets of humor (slapstick, parody, witty, even some thoughtful humor). It's not *all* stupid humor.

SI

Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 AM   #42
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

Ahh, Napoleon Dynamite is the best comedy I've seen in the past couple years I do believe, and the only movie I've actually went to see in the theatre twice that I can remember.

Great stuff, pretty low brow, but funny all the same.

Highly recommended to anyone who can handle some goofy humor, the guy does a perfect job of playing the part. Bah, now I want to go see it again.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

It's not so much that I have a problem with doing a sequel, but Mel Brooks hasn't written anything funny in 15 years.