Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #201
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So I don't know where this is coming from, but a UCLA fan on another forum I go to has said there are rumors that Herm Edwards will be the next coach at UCLA. Can that really be?

FWIW, I've heard the same thing on a USC forum. I think he'd probably be a good recruiter.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #202
tarcone
Coordinator

I think Herm Edwards would do awesome in the LA area. I bet he could recruit SoCal like no other.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #203
MrBug708
Head Coach

We already had Herm Edwards, his name was Karl Dorrell and his cousin coached at UW and Notre Dame, Ty Willingham. The only people saying this is the people at ESPN's radio show. Of course, the people at Fox Sports think that Rick is staying, so we might as well implode the football program. UCLA's problem is that we have disorganized teams that do not play up to potential. Hiring Edwards would do nothing to rectify that situation.

So we probably will hire him now
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #204
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If they can avoid too many injuries at one position, I'm not sure any team gets hurt that badly by scholarship reductions. USC played 49 players against Oregon, Oregon only used 48. Like most NFL teams, most teams play 50 players or less. I've come to the conclusion that scholarship reductions really only hurt future players who don't get the opportunity to get a scholarship.

Those poor five star kids with no other options

USC has avoided the injury bug on offense this year. Their offensive line somehow has managed to avoid too many issues, which is a shock because of the lack of depth on the team
Old 11-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #205
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Those poor five star kids with no other options

USC has avoided the injury bug on offense this year. Their offensive line somehow has managed to avoid too many issues, which is a shock because of the lack of depth on the team

Obviously, the 5 star kids still get a scholarship, but it all filters down and ultimately less kids get scholarships. USC's offensive line was lucky to avoid injuries this past year, but lots of guys were banged up and managed to play injured. Depth should be much better next year, especially if they get at least 4 of the fab 5 that are rumored to be coming to USC.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-24-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #206
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If they can avoid too many injuries at one position, I'm not sure any team gets hurt that badly by scholarship reductions. USC played 49 players against Oregon, Oregon only used 48. Like most NFL teams, most teams play 50 players or less. I've come to the conclusion that scholarship reductions really only hurt future players who don't get the opportunity to get a scholarship.
With typical amounts of injuries and attrition, USC is going to be thin in terms of depth. Yes, they played 49 guys against Oregon - that's pretty typical. Where it becomes a problem is when 15 guys that they projected to be starters or play significant time at the beginning of the season are not available, and instead of the 3rd, 4th or 5th year, experienced talent playing, it's young guys, or even worse walk-ons.

USC attracts enough talent that with decent coaching they shouldn't slip below .500 over the next several years as they endure and then rebuild from the scholarship reductions, but it's going to be tough for them to roll off 10+ wins seasons because their margin for error will be cut significantly.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #207
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
With typical amounts of injuries and attrition, USC is going to be thin in terms of depth. Yes, they played 49 guys against Oregon - that's pretty typical. Where it becomes a problem is when 15 guys that they projected to be starters or play significant time at the beginning of the season are not available, and instead of the 3rd, 4th or 5th year, experienced talent playing, it's young guys, or even worse walk-ons.

USC attracts enough talent that with decent coaching they shouldn't slip below .500 over the next several years as they endure and then rebuild from the scholarship reductions, but it's going to be tough for them to roll off 10+ wins seasons because their margin for error will be cut significantly.

+1 Michigan recently was down 17 scholarships for various reasons. Last year they had enough injuries in their secondary they held a tryout within the student body. USC and OSU won't be bad teams since it's way too easy to get 6 wins for major programs, but they will go through a downswing and will take time to become elite again.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #208
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We already had Herm Edwards, his name was Karl Dorrell and his cousin coached at UW and Notre Dame, Ty Willingham. The only people saying this is the people at ESPN's radio show. Of course, the people at Fox Sports think that Rick is staying, so we might as well implode the football program. UCLA's problem is that we have disorganized teams that do not play up to potential. Hiring Edwards would do nothing to rectify that situation.

So we probably will hire him now

What on earth is the similarity between these 3 coaches except for race? What pt are you trying to make?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 11-25-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #209
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN -- Urban Meyer requested to be taken off weekend TV assignment - ESPN

There's one person not covering the OSU/Michigan game.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #210
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
+1 Michigan recently was down 17 scholarships for various reasons. Last year they had enough injuries in their secondary they held a tryout within the student body. USC and OSU won't be bad teams since it's way too easy to get 6 wins for major programs, but they will go through a downswing and will take time to become elite again.

See: 2011 Florida State offensive line after 2008-2010 recruiting classes yielded 4 offensive linemen.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #211
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
What on earth is the similarity between these 3 coaches except for race? What pt are you trying to make?

Easy there Gloria Allred, the similarity between those guys is that they are known as high character guys who can't coach. I've seen enough of those types in the PAC-12.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #212
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Obviously, the 5 star kids still get a scholarship, but it all filters down and ultimately less kids get scholarships. USC's offensive line was lucky to avoid injuries this past year, but lots of guys were banged up and managed to play injured. Depth should be much better next year, especially if they get at least 4 of the fab 5 that are rumored to be coming to USC.

The problem with that fab five is that Cal and Oregon also think they are getting them

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-26-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #213
miami_fan
Coordinator

Al Golden has signed an extension with the University of Miami that runs through Feb 1st, 2020. And this means what exactly?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #214
MrBug708
Head Coach

SPORTSbyBROOKS
@SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
Multiple sources close to UCLA football program have told me tonight that Rick Neuheisel's firing will be announced tomorrow. Sunday.
---------------

I dont actually think he has sources, but good to see something is starting
Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #215
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think the AD has the balls to do it, but there is smoke in Clemson tonight. I have spoken with BOT member who claims he has spoken to 3 others and they are in favor of going another direction immediately.

No one else would hire the joker...so maybe the Dabo expriment can go back to commercial real estate.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #216
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Feldman is reporting Wulff is likely out at Wazzou. If there is one legitimate BCS job for Mike Leach, it's WSU. He will exist on an island unto himself since no one cares at all about WSU. He can get them back to being a solid team.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #217
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sources are saying Leach to WSU, which probably means Sumlin to ASU
Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #218
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I know UCLA fans would love a home run but I really feel like Ron English would get the job done there. A mean defense and physical run game could really look good in Westwood. I doubt it happens but it'd be intriguing. I will continue beating this drum.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #219
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sources are saying Leach to WSU, which probably means Sumlin to ASU
Leach to WSU would concern me. I am against this - keep Wulff!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #220
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rick's buyout is 250K
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #221
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Zook out at Illinois, Porter out at Memphis.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #222
DeToxRox
Head Coach

PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel

Akron Coach Rob Ianello got the call he was fired while driving to NY for his mother's funeral. That's just awful.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #223
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Rick's buyout is 250K
That's it? Rick needs a better agent...

Wonder how quickly he'll land on his feet as an offensive assistant somewhere.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #224
mckerney
Coordinator

And now Turner Gill is out.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #225
Izulde
Head Coach

Hope Hauck gets added to the list, though he probably won't.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #226
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
And now Turner Gill is out.

Gill was at Kansas for two years? That's a pretty short leash.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #228
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Gill was at Kansas for two years? That's a pretty short leash.

While I agree, I think it was warranted. Kansas was the worst BCS team in the country I think. Even worse then Wazzou. It didn't like things were going to get better any time soon either.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #229
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Ianello was at Akron for 2 years as well. At least Kansas has the excuse of being in the Big 12. Akron should recognize who they are and give a coach a real chance.

I just think it'll be tough to get a quality coach to come in if he doesn't even get time to build the program. Even if Gill's teams were terrible, two years is far too short a time to tell if he was going to be able to turn the program around.

Good news for Kansas though... I hear Neuheisel is gonna be available.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #230
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
While I agree, I think it was warranted. Kansas was the worst BCS team in the country I think. Even worse then Wazzou. It didn't like things were going to get better any time soon either.

You'll have to count me as ignorant as far as college recruiting goes...

So you get to bring in 10 or 15 scholarship kids per year? I doubt he was initially unable to recruit four and five star kids as Kansas has a pretty dismal program historically and he only has the Buffalo job on his resume? So these kids he has brought in so far are only freshmen and sophomores? Traditionally, unless your really gifted or the program is in pretty bad shape, most of these kids would be sitting for a while? I guess he could have brought in some JUCO kids as a short term solution?

Just seems like two years is an awfully short time to rebuild a program that wasn't top of the line to begin with...
Old 11-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sounds about right.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #232
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
You'll have to count me as ignorant as far as college recruiting goes...

So you get to bring in 10 or 15 scholarship kids per year? I doubt he was initially unable to recruit four and five star kids as Kansas has a pretty dismal program historically and he only has the Buffalo job on his resume? So these kids he has brought in so far are only freshmen and sophomores? Traditionally, unless your really gifted or the program is in pretty bad shape, most of these kids would be sitting for a while? I guess he could have brought in some JUCO kids as a short term solution?

Just seems like two years is an awfully short time to rebuild a program that wasn't top of the line to begin with...

I see where you're coming from, but they only had two wins. 42-24 over McNeese State and 45-42 over Northern Illinois. They had a few close games, but they also allowed 66 to Georgia Tech, 45 to Texas Tech, 70 to Oklahoma State, 47 to Oklahoma, 59 to Kansas State, 43 to Texas and 61 to Texas A&M. That is historically bad defense right there, youth or no youth.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #233
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
I see where you're coming from, but they only had two wins. 42-24 over McNeese State and 45-42 over Northern Illinois. They had a few close games, but they also allowed 66 to Georgia Tech, 45 to Texas Tech, 70 to Oklahoma State, 47 to Oklahoma, 59 to Kansas State, 43 to Texas and 61 to Texas A&M. That is historically bad defense right there, youth or no youth.

Not that is has any bearing on his firing or not. But wasn't Turner Gill the one that the alumni wanted fired before he ever coached a game?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #234
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So you get to bring in 10 or 15 scholarship kids per year?
You get to bring in 25 per year.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #235
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Count me in as thinking that 2 years is too soon to give Gill the axe. At least give him a 3rd year to see if there's notable progress.

As someone else noted, you're not endearing yourself to coaching candidates by showing you're willing to pull the plug after only 2 years. Kansas is obviously in a major rebuilding situation.

And a part of me thinks that the new AD saw all the young guys getting playing time this year and thinks that bringing in a new coach now will allow "his guy" to get off to a better start to his career.

Maybe Gill isn't the right guy for Kansas, but 2 years is a damn short leash for someone that (to my knowledge) hasn't had any off-field issues that make the school look bad.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #236
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So where does Gill end up next? Coordinator? Sit a year out and find a new bottom feeder?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #237
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe Akron should give him a call...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #238
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Kansas was the worst spot for Gill to end up two years ago. He's a Husker, so he didn't have any built-in love from the alumni. Then the AD that hired him gets chased out in a scandal and the entire athletic department administration turns over.

Add to that the fact that the cupboard was much more bare at Kansas than people thought. Mangino went out and got the best recruits he could following the Orange Bowl season, but they were mostly 3- and 4-star guys who should have been 2-stars and no one else was recruiting. Kansas was playing a lot of young guys because the last two Mangino classes were awful.

Then Gill finally lands a guy to be his QB and the kid gets into legal trouble and doesn't come to KU.

I like the idea of Turner Gill but I didn't think he was the right guy at the right time. And as a Mizzou guy, I'm very sad to see Turner go because he wasn't going to be able to right the ship.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #239
kcchief19
Pro Starter

This is good for a laugh ... one of the KU beat writers says the front runners include Mike Leach, Jim Leavitt, Larry Fedora and any Stoops brother not named Bob.

The only name that doesn't fit the list is Larry Fedora, and that's because he's the only one who isn't a dog with fleas. But even then I'm not sure Leach, Leavitt or a Stoops would touch the KU job with a ten-foot pole right now. Maybe Ron Stoops, but that's about it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #240
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe realistically, Kansas should look at Dave Christensen in Wyoming. Not because I'd like to see him go, but...seems more their speed.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #241
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe Akron should give him a call...

Akron has inquired on Jim Tressel. I think Luke Fickell ends up there though.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #242
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Leavitt would jump at the opportunity to get back into the game and he does have some history in-state (albeit with KSU). He'd probably be a decent 4-5 year steward to rebuild things back to respectability.

I understand that the previous administration hired Gill, but firing a recently successful head coach after two years is pretty ridiculous. That tells you that you cannot even afford to redshirt your freshmen and allow them to physically mature. They're going to have to overpay anyone decent, so they'll probably end up with someone with warts similar to Mangino.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #243
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I guess I look at the Gill situation as the administration admitting a mistake and rectifying it. Since it's a new administration making the hire the new coach should expect more support than Gill received. In all honesty, Turner Gill was a bad hire in the first place. I know I stump for Ron English and it may be because I see more EMU then I ever saw Buffalo, but Gill was 20-30 at Buffalo and followed it up with 5-19 at Kansas. He should have never gotten the Kansas job but he did. It's better to cut ties now if you don't think he can succeed rather then endure another season of misery since it's going only set the program back further.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #244
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Some smoke is swirling about Dan Mullen to PSU. He's done an admirable job at Mississippi State and has ties to the Midwest, but I don't see Mullen being a good fit in the Big Ten.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #246
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I look at the Gill situation as the administration admitting a mistake and rectifying it. Since it's a new administration making the hire the new coach should expect more support than Gill received. In all honesty, Turner Gill was a bad hire in the first place. I know I stump for Ron English and it may be because I see more EMU then I ever saw Buffalo, but Gill was 20-30 at Buffalo and followed it up with 5-19 at Kansas. He should have never gotten the Kansas job but he did. It's better to cut ties now if you don't think he can succeed rather then endure another season of misery since it's going only set the program back further.

I can understand that line of thinking and it is a brave call for an AD to make. At the same time, having that much turnover is pretty devastating to a program. Players transfer out. The players that stick around will be working on learning their third system in four years. The school will get a bad rap from assistant coaches. I just think it is too quick to pull the plug. At the same time, it isn't like they can fall much further, so maybe the time was right if Gill and the AD weren't seeing eye to eye, which is likely.

Quote:
Some smoke is swirling about Dan Mullen to PSU. He's done an admirable job at Mississippi State and has ties to the Midwest, but I don't see Mullen being a good fit in the Big Ten.

I really like Mullen and had hoped he would get a look from WVU (and there were some rumors swirling). Although it contradicts my previous remarks, I almost think Penn State needs to hire an established stop gap type of guy for a few years, rather than looking for a long-term guy with this hire. I think someone like Bobby Johnson (if he would consider returning) or Jim Grobe would be a good guy to re-establish order and be established enough to deal with Paterno's shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
I'm thinking one of these lower level schools jumps on Ron Zook. If Schnellenberger is stepping down at Florida Atlantic, that may be the spot.

They're in Boca Raton. They just opened a new 30,000 seat stadium this year. They're in a bad conference that a recruiter like Zook should be able to run over with his ties to the state.

That sounds like a good fit for Zook. Imagine the kind of talent he could accumulate in a conference that allows props.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think someone like Bobby Johnson ...

Would you settle for Paul Johnson?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #248
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I agree about PSU needing someone to restore balance. Mullen would be experiencing a huge culture shock in regards to the pressures at PSU opposed to Mississippi State, compounded further by the Sandusky black cloud. It's a no win situation for a young coach trying to establish himself when much of the fan base would be all over him for every mistake he makes while comparing him to Joe.

We'll see though.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #249
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I stump for Ron English and it may be because I see more EMU then I ever saw Buffalo, but Gill was 20-30 at Buffalo and followed it up with 5-19 at Kansas. He should have never gotten the Kansas job but he did..
Um, have you taken a look at how bad Buffalo was prior to Gill arriving? What he did there was quite impressive given the context...
Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #250
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Um, have you taken a look at how bad Buffalo was prior to Gill arriving? What he did there was quite impressive given the context...

I understand the context, and again it probably seems hypocritical since I think English will be a damn good HC, but I personally am of the belief that Buffalo had a great season with Gill at the helm, the culmination of three years of great work, but the chances he sustained it were unlikely.

If Mangino had not been fired the way he had, I doubt Gill gets the Kansas job. They wanted to scrub themselves of the dickish Mangino with the clean cut Turner Gill. He was an easy sell at the time because he is a nice, well spoken guy who many Jayhawks remember from his time to Nebraska. Don't kid yourself though in thinking that he gets the KU job if he had the demeanor of Brian Kelly though.