Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #551
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The Rose injury really killed the East IMO.

Too soon.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #552
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, you watch the Western conference and see real teamwork and strong offense. You watch the East and see 1-on-1 and stagnant offense. Not sure it matters who wins the East, but you never know (esp with the officiating this year).
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #553
whomario
Pro Starter

Just finished watching both games (was away from any internet over the weekend) and found both games pretty entertaining, but there surely is a fundamental difference for sure.

There also was a chart around recently, i think of the 10 least efficient offenses in the reg season came out of the east (and iīm not buying that the defense is so good there).

I love Durantīs performance, that was propably his best "controlled but stepping up when need to" game of his career, donīt think he ever had 8 assists to 1 TO before as well.
The thunder big men were massive, going 22-25 from the field combined (with Ibakaīs 11-11 obviously the biggest factor but Perkins and Collison contributed offensively as well)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #554
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
A compromise: At the end of this series, can we call it Celtics 0, Heat 0, Refs 4?

Studies have shown (Scorecasting had a good analysis of this) that refs, especially in basketball, will generally call in favor of the home team. Seems like that's holding form here.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #555
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Groundhog: We said the same thing for Philly-Boston Game seven "Who ever wins gets killed by Miami"

So, the one word that describes this NBA Playoffs is: "Youneverknow"

No, we know. The refs gave the first two to the Heat, the next two to the Celtics to make it look good...and the next two will go to the Heat again.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #556
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Miami was screwed last night. LeBron got called for 4 offensive fouls... 4 that is absurd and on all 4 it could have gone either way. Wade pointing to Haslem while he stood underneath the rim during the final moments of regulation is so frustrating.

It is clear to me that Miami needs a coach because the lack of Xs and Os in key moments is clear.

Phil Jackson to Miami.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #557
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, you watch the Western conference and see real teamwork and strong offense. You watch the East and see 1-on-1 and stagnant offense. Not sure it matters who wins the East, but you never know (esp with the officiating this year).

It's pretty pathetic that the majority of the east games come down to whomever can have their moderately offensively talented bigger guy hit the most 18 footers. I don't think that either Miami or Boston are particularly good teams and the result is that so many of these games will turn on a call or two.

Last edited by stevew : 06-04-2012 at 09:31 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #558
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Miami was screwed last night. LeBron got called for 4 offensive fouls... 4 that is absurd and on all 4 it could have gone either way. Wade pointing to Haslem while he stood underneath the rim during the final moments of regulation is so frustrating.

It is clear to me that Miami needs a coach because the lack of Xs and Os in key moments is clear.

Phil Jackson to Miami.

Pierce got screwed on foul calls too - and yes I agree, a couple of the ones on Lebron were ticky-tack. The refs were calling absolutely EVERYTHING last night, and it was up to the players to adjust their games accordingly. If the biggest scorer on each team fouls out of a playoff game you know the refs were a part of the problem for both sides.

That being said - it all came down to execution at the end, and Miami's execution at the end (as you pointed out) was horrible. Given the lead that the Celtics got out too (which I can't believe they pissed away AGAIN) Miami was lucky to even be in it at the end.

FWIW it's worth though - not sure if you caught it, but it seemed like the analysts were saying that Spolestra likely had a play drawn up and that Lebron ad-libbed basically - as you could see by the fact that he was dribbling towards Wade & whoever else on that side of the court as they were frantically trying to run away from him, rather than spacing, and then had to throw that weak-ass pass back across the court to Haslem.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #559
molson
General Manager

Obviously there's been a ton of luck involved but it's ridiculous and surreal that the Celtics still have some small chance to go to the finals. This team didn't even get over .500 for good until March. They really got it together down the stretch, otherwise they would have been a 1st-round out against whoever they played.

Last edited by molson : 06-04-2012 at 10:11 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #560
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Pierce got screwed on foul calls too - and yes I agree, a couple of the ones on Lebron were ticky-tack. The refs were calling absolutely EVERYTHING last night, and it was up to the players to adjust their games accordingly. If the biggest scorer on each team fouls out of a playoff game you know the refs were a part of the problem for both sides.

That being said - it all came down to execution at the end, and Miami's execution at the end (as you pointed out) was horrible. Given the lead that the Celtics got out too (which I can't believe they pissed away AGAIN) Miami was lucky to even be in it at the end.

FWIW it's worth though - not sure if you caught it, but it seemed like the analysts were saying that Spolestra likely had a play drawn up and that Lebron ad-libbed basically - as you could see by the fact that he was dribbling towards Wade & whoever else on that side of the court as they were frantically trying to run away from him, rather than spacing, and then had to throw that weak-ass pass back across the court to Haslem.

The refs made themselves a story and that should never happen in the playoffs. There were so many non-calls and stupid calls last night. Miami totally blew it last night and I know he won't publicly admit it but LeBron has to be pissed at Wade for telling him to pass it to Haslem.

Spolestra needs to find another job because it is clear the stars of the team have no respect for him. I know Phil Jackson was flirting with Orlando, well he can flirt with Miami and have 2 superstars who would love to have the amount of rings he already has.

This Miami team is so damn erratic because one night they are amazing and next they're looking like a middle school team.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #561
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
The refs made themselves a story and that should never happen in the playoffs. There were so many non-calls and stupid calls last night.

The refs made themselves the story in game 1 and game 2 as well, Noop.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #562
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
The refs made themselves a story and that should never happen in the playoffs. There were so many non-calls and stupid calls last night. Miami totally blew it last night and I know he won't publicly admit it but LeBron has to be pissed at Wade for telling him to pass it to Haslem.

Spolestra needs to find another job because it is clear the stars of the team have no respect for him. I know Phil Jackson was flirting with Orlando, well he can flirt with Miami and have 2 superstars who would love to have the amount of rings he already has.

This Miami team is so damn erratic because one night they are amazing and next they're looking like a middle school team.

I've felt all series the refs have been calling the wrong things and letting some stuff go that should be called. Ticky tacky technicals, offensive fouls, moving pics, and not calling obvious driving fouls when someone gets laid out.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #563
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The refs made themselves the story in game 1 and game 2 as well, Noop.

No doubt. However, last night was an offensive display that has Boston fans acknowledging how bad it was on both sides and they won last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I've felt all series the refs have been calling the wrong things and letting some stuff go that should be called. Ticky tacky technicals, offensive fouls, moving pics, and not calling obvious driving fouls when someone gets laid out.

I agree. This was been a poorly ref'd series and has taken away from what has been otherwise a fun and competitive series of games.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #564
RainMaker
General Manager

They have been intimidated by home courts in the series. Games 2 and 3 were pretty horrible displays of that. Didn't think Game 4 was that badly officiated. There were a lot of 50/50 calls in that game which will always draw the ire of fans. I think it seemed odd because Lebron usually gets 90% of the 50/50 calls and didn't seem to get any last night.

He does play incredibly physical on the offensive end, especially off the ball. Kind of like Shaq where you could call a foul on him on almost any possession.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #565
RedKingGold
College Starter

There is no way that Pat Riley and Phil Jackson could work together.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #566
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Obviously there's been a ton of luck involved but it's ridiculous and surreal that the Celtics still have some small chance to go to the finals. This team didn't even get over .500 for good until March. They really got it together down the stretch, otherwise they would have been a 1st-round out against whoever they played.
It's called facing the #5 team in the first round and the #8 team in the second round. That's not too tough a path (and still took Boston 7 games in round 2). Had Rose not been hurt, we'd be watching an equally awful offensive series between Chicago and Miami.

Last edited by Arles : 06-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #567
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
It's called facing the #5 team in the first round and the #8 team in the second round. That's not too tough a path (and still took Boston 7 games in round 2). Had Rose not been hurt, we'd be watching an equally awful offensive series between Chicago and Miami.

I think it would take 7 games for the Celtics to beat the Bobcats.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #568
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Ya, that's why I said the thing about luck. I'm just impressed, as I was during the season, that they got better as the season went along. And the late season success did get them out a first round series with Indiana or Chicago or Miami.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #569
Arles
Grey Dog Software

They did turn it on at the end. But, if you reflect, they faced a banged up Atlanta team that missed both Smith and Horford for games in the series. Played the #8 seed and now face a Miami team without Bosh. If they find a way to make it through this series, I think the West winner might win in 3 games.

That is, unless their top two players get struck by lightning
Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #570
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Don't forget that Boston is missing Bradley, who was key to the successful second half turnaround. This has forced them to play a hobbled Ray Allen, who has not been better than an absent Chris Bosh.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #571
Desnudo
Coordinator

I get that an ab strain is painful, but I don't think Bosh is doing his image any favors. I find it hard to imagine any of the other stars in this series sitting out because of it. That's a storyline no one seems to want to write about it.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #572
Easy Mac

Can we just get a moratorium on talking heads talking about a game within 2-3 days of the game being played. All I heard last week was that these series were over and they would be lucky to get to five games. Now, the other teams are probably the favorites to win each series.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #573
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I get that an ab strain is painful, but I don't think Bosh is doing his image any favors. I find it hard to imagine any of the other stars in this series sitting out because of it. That's a storyline no one seems to want to write about it.

If it was Lebron in this situation, he would be getting crucified by now.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #574
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Dude have you ever strained your abs? Painful as hell. And I think the smart thing to do is to rest him as long as possible- worst case scenario is he comes back for game 5, re-injures it and is unavailable for the Finals
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #575
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Dude have you ever strained your abs? Painful as hell. And I think the smart thing to do is to rest him as long as possible- worst case scenario is he comes back for game 5, re-injures it and is unavailable for the Finals

I had to walk to school uphill through 10 feet of snow with one once.

Do you think Kobe or Jordan sits? Jordan, out with a strained ab. I don't see it.

Pierce is playing with a sprained knee. Bradley played with two damaged shoulders. Hell, Rondo played with one arm last year.

It's more an observation on motivation than any attempt to crucify Bosh who actually seems like the only non-douche on the Heat.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-05-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #576
korme
Go Reds

Bosh is not Kobe or Jordan. Do I think the Bulls sit Horace Grant in this situation? Probably.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #577
Suicane75
Coordinator

Of course they sit Horace Grant, he's like 50.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #578
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Bosh is soft we all know this. Kobe and Mj can play with injuries Bosh can not.

Before anyone mentions this no I would not say it to his face because it then becomes personal. My opinion is based on basketball only which I feel I have a right to my opinion as I pay for NBA products and its the occupation he signed up for. Rant off.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 06-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #579
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Inside the mind of the San Antonio Spurs' Stephen Jackson - Grantland

Long as we know b/c it's Grantland, but it's good.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #580
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Bosh is not Kobe or Jordan. Do I think the Bulls sit Horace Grant in this situation? Probably.

Does Horace Grant allow himself to be sat?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #581
Easy Mac

Ho Grant probably wouldn't have killed a masseuse the day before a game.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #582
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Before anyone mentions this no I would not say it to his face because it then becomes personal. My opinion is based on basketball only which I feel I have a right to my opinion as I pay for NBA products and its the occupation he signed up for. Rant off.

Jbergey is a fat guy sitting on his couch mocking people who's entire living is based on their body condition based on some idiotic BS. But I wouldn't say it to his face because it then becomes personal. My opinion is based on this forum only since I paid taxes which allowed Al Gore to create the internet which allowed this forum to exist....

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-05-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #583
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dont know if he's soft, but it was pretty funny that Bosh got called out on the new Nicky Minaj record for crying

Last edited by stevew : 06-05-2012 at 07:48 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #584
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Sure, I'd ask him to his face how bad it was. If he wants to take the time to fly out and have a beer.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #585
Groundhog
Coordinator

So, LeBron drives and Garnett blocks him. It looked like a foul at first, refs don't blow the whistle, Celtics get a bit of a fast break before Rondo holds it up, then attacks the hoop, misses, Garnett rebounds and puts it back in and draws the foul. Ever since the block LeBron has been off-screen. Replay shows the block was clean, and LeBron pouting and turning and walking away from the Celtics hoop? Way to hustle back, King.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #586
Desnudo
Coordinator

i've got this on DVR, but have been watching the gamecast. Judging by the <40% shooting for each team, I'm guessing I should tee it up in the 2nd half?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #587
Groundhog
Coordinator

2nd Q was better than the 1st... but yeah, hardly required viewing so far.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #588
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Shocked that the Celtics are still in this. They couldn't have played any worse in the first half. Nothing was falling.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #589
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Horrible calls again.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #590
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Miami is such a mentally soft team. Wade either needs to be traded or needs to find a jumper because he loafs on defense and offers nothing offensively.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #591
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

So Garnett gets called for a crap foul and to make it even the refs don't call a foul on that push? Crap refs.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #592
heybrad
Norm!!!

I can't stand either of these teams but this is a great game.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #593
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pierce!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #594
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey, Brad.

Huge 3 by Pierce.. but before anyone says ANYTHING.. I'm disappointed by Allen's flop. That's not selling to the ref, that is a FLOP. Plain and simple
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #595
heybrad
Norm!!!

A little home cooking there? That looked like a charge on Wade to me.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #596
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's a bang bang play, I could see it called either way, and it wouldn't go amiss.

If they called it on Wade, after the reversal and the Allen flop, the refs wouldn't get off the floor alive
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #597
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(exhales). When I saw that ball go free, my first thought was "You have to be fucking kidding me"
Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #598
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Great win by the C's!

I'm sad now that they didn't manage to take Game 2...which they should have. Now they have 2 chances to close it out...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #599
heybrad
Norm!!!

Maybe I'm just tired but Doris Burke is looking alright!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #600
Groundhog
Coordinator

That was some impressive D by the Celtics on that last inbound. Cut off about 4 of the first 5 options on the inbound play and forced a tough 3.