Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #351
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'LL SEE YOU NEXT WINTER OLYMPICS!!!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #352
Groundhog
Coordinator

I certainly didn't imagine I'd be saying this when the 2011-12 season finally kicked off, but man, can anyone beat the Spurs? In the West they match-up very well with the Lakers and pretty well with the Thunder if Leonard can stick with the Durant, while in the East they are a nightmare for the Heat by being at least the equal of Dallas in 10-11 on D and certainly a lot better on O and the Pacers, as big a fan of theirs as I am right now, also don't figure to matchup so well with them.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #353
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Tim Duncan scored 21 points and Tony Parker added 17 as the Spurs moved on to the Western Conference finals with a 102-99 win (and a 4-0 sweep) over the Clippers. After the win, Duncan snuck off to the parking lot, sat in the back seat of his minivan, and filled a plastic cup to the halfway line with red wine. "This is your moment, Tim," he whispered to himself. "Enjoy." He took one sip, stared at the wine, and whispered, "don't be a glutton," before carefully pouring the rest back in the bottle.

never gets old Anybody else think that Duncan should do a Kareem (Airplane) in some totally weirded out movie at some point after his career ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #354
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tim Duncan is a bit weird I see. I am mad that he drives a minivan.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The scary thing with the Spurs is that they've reloaded on the fly and could easily be good for 5-7 more years. Replacing Manu and Duncan will be hard, but I'm sure they will figure it out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #356
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The scary thing with the Spurs is that they've reloaded on the fly and could easily be good for 5-7 more years. Replacing Manu and Duncan will be hard, but I'm sure they will figure it out.

I think they should make a play for Roy Hibbert when Duncan retires. The Spurs remind me of the Patriots minus the douche bag fans (Sorry to the FOFC Pat fans) and coach.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #357
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I think they should make a play for Roy Hibbert when Duncan retires. The Spurs remind me of the Patriots minus the douche bag fans (Sorry to the FOFC Pat fans) and coach.

I don't think the Pacers are going to let Hibbert get away. I hope so at least.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #358
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
never gets old Anybody else think that Duncan should do a Kareem (Airplane) in some totally weirded out movie at some point after his career ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Tim Duncan is a bit weird I see. I am mad that he drives a minivan.

I haven't followed the NBA strongly for awhile now. But this SI article from last week, on Duncan, was pretty good.

TIM DUNCAN is the most successful player of his - 05.21.12 - SI Vault
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #359
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It will be interesting to see if Blake Griifin is the first player to turn down a max offer and play out a qualifying offer. The Clips can control him for 2 more years.

I suspect SA will get Bosh in 2014 to replace Duncan, as he would make a ton of sense for them. And Bosh would be in an ideal situation as one of the guys.

Hibbert's market this offseason is going to be 4 years at the max(14M+). The Pacers will probably have to match an offer. He's a better player than Deandre Jordan(who got 4/42) and is comparable to Marc Gasol(4/57ish).

Last edited by stevew : 05-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #360
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Keep in mind, it comes from Clippers radio, but I have heard indications there on more than one occasion that Blake is interested in signing an extension, and of course, Blake signing will go a long way to getting CP3 signed as well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #361
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Orlando finally got rid of GM Otis Smith, that's good news. Van Gundy is gone as well, that isn't such good news. I know Howard hates SVG but I don't think he'll want to stick around with a different coach anyway.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #362
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who's going to radically overpay guys now that Otis is gone?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #363
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who's going to radically overpay guys now that Otis is gone?

Detroit? The Knicks? The Nets?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #364
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Otis Smith once again shows that former NBA players make the best executives.

Last edited by stevew : 05-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #365
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

To be fair to Otis Smith, the Rashard Lewis contract was merely really bad for the first few years. It was only after Lewis got busted for PED usage that it became truly horrific contract, arguably one of the worst in recent times. Never would have thought a guy with his kind of game would rely on that stuff but man did his game ever decline after getting caught.

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-21-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #366
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

so, seeing the 33-16 Free Throw differential in game six (I only got to see like the last quarter due to late night at work).. was the refs calling it differently for the two teams? Didn't seem like it on the bits I watched, the Celtics kept driving and making contact, and the Sixers were shooting jump shots.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #367
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
so, seeing the 33-16 Free Throw differential in game six (I only got to see like the last quarter due to late night at work).. was the refs calling it differently for the two teams? Didn't seem like it on the bits I watched, the Celtics kept driving and making contact, and the Sixers were shooting jump shots.

I saw some early and thought it was rather one sided. Sixers were getting mugged inside without a call.

Though it was that blown chance when the Sixers were shooting two free throws on a clear path call in which AI the second missed both free throws and then a lousy posession ended up with them still up 6 (instead of the possible 10 or 11) and then the Celtics seemed to turn it on from there.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #368
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Where are all of the purported OKC fans tonight? a lot of empty seats in that building...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #369
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Where are all of the purported OKC fans tonight? a lot of empty seats in that building...

really? I don't see one empty seat and looks like there is a huge crowd at a viewing party outside the arena.

Westbrook is unconscious right now.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #370
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why was Kobe on the bench?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #371
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
really? I don't see one empty seat and looks like there is a huge crowd at a viewing party outside the arena.

Westbrook is unconscious right now.

Nevermind. It was just the 3rd quarter fans going to the bathroom/drinking, etc. Seems they're all back now.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-21-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #372
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ah, so this is what 16M in luxury tax gets you these days. Lakers have to part out Gasol this offseason. And I think they should keep the Amnesty handy for 2013-14 Kobe. No way is he worth 30M on a 60M cap. By the time they save luxury tax the move will be close to cash beutral(especially if someone claims him)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #373
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nevermind. It was just the 3rd quarter fans going to the bathroom/drinking, etc. Seems they're all back now.

You obviously missed all the bandwagons in the Parking lot.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #374
Groundhog
Coordinator

Assuming Lakers go on to lose, I wonder if Brown gets the chop. Little unfair IMO given how woeful the Lakers bench in particular has been. If they are going to stick with Kobe and be in "win now" mode, they definitely need a shake up. Gasol and Bynum in the front court are two luxuries they probably can't afford given the state of the rest of their line-up.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #375
Danny
Head Coach

Lakers are done.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #376
Danny
Head Coach

Meaning they wont be winning a title in the immediate future
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #377
Groundhog
Coordinator

Depends on what they can get for Bynum or Gasol. If they can turn one of those guys in to 2 or 3 contributors - say, a decent draft pick and a starter - and pick up some depth in FA they can still be a contender, assuming Kobe has another 2 seasons left in him, which I think he does.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #378
korme
Go Reds

If LAL fired Brown, I could see them going after SVG
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #379
bhlloy
Coordinator

If they have any sense they will do exactly that. It might not be all Brown's fault they're out of the playoffs but he's still a terrible coach.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #380
chadritt
High School Varsity

They might have to fight the Clippers for him.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #381
Groundhog
Coordinator

Despite everything that happened this year, I still find it pretty amusing that the Clippers job is more attractive than the Lakers job.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
If LAL fired Brown, I could see them going after SVG

From Dwight Howard to Andrew Bynum? Hmmmmmm

Edit: Actually from Shaq to Dwight to Bynum. Yeah it might be time to have a shot with a pain in the ass player on the wing or in the backcourt.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-22-2012 at 08:16 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #383
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The way Gasol has been playing is precisely why the Griz got rid of him a few years ago. He is a very good player, but he needs to understand that and get out of his role player mindset.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #384
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The way Gasol has been playing is precisely why the Griz got rid of him a few years ago. He is a very good player, but he needs to understand that and get out of his role player mindset.

He should be a top 15 player in the league, maybe even top 10 if he had that I want to be the man mindset.

Last edited by Danny : 05-22-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #385
MrBug708
Head Coach

They wont fire Brown this year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #386
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

I think this is a bit unfair. I know we had this discussion earlier this season and I don't have the time or the desire to go through all the numbers to see how they compare. To me, Pau Gasol got demoted this year to the number three guy on this team. And that is the way he played.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #387
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pau Gasol is flabbergasted with the way you guys are talking about him. Look at that shock and outrage on his face.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #388
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

San Antonio v. Oklahoma City. That ought to move the needle.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #389
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

It is all a part of David Stern's conspiracy against large market teams. Knicks, Lakers Clippers, Chicago. I see the pattern Mr. Stern, I see your game.

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #390
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It is all a part of David Stern's conspiracy against large market teams. Knicks, Lakers Clippers, Chicago. I see the pattern Mr. Stern, I see your game.

You could also make the case he's conspiring against inferior teams, who seem to lose, more often than not.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #391
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I bet it does a huge share in places that are "Real Mmm'erica"
Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #392
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I bet it does a huge share in places that are "Real Mmm'erica"

That's true.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #393
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If the title game ends up being Thunder-Pacers, would that be the championship game of the 4 major sports that had the lowest combined population of the host cities?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #394
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Stern must've lost control of his black helicopters, because if he really had the power to fix games at the level people suggest, surely he wouldn't let an Oklahoma City-San Antonio series to happen. However, I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will ignore that and come back in full force if Miami beats Indiana.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #395
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If the title game ends up being Thunder-Pacers, would that be the championship game of the 4 major sports that had the lowest combined population of the host cities?

Just a quick look at the NHL gives us Carolina (Raleigh) vs. Edmonton as being lower at 1.145 combined vs. 1.410 for Indianapolis-OKC.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #396
whomario
Pro Starter

Propably the signature moment of yesterday´s game :

a problem of the Lakers also is that they don´t get many easy baskets. One, Kobe doesn´t open up space as much anymore as he´s defended (he´s definitely a "just let him get his, we´ll be able to survive that" player nowadays) with less and less help while Bynum still isn´t really getting established and their PGs still don´t create anything (Sessions was terrible). And their defense doesn´t force TOs, they managed to have the worst TO team in the league have a stellar series in terms of holding onto the ball (and were the worst team in the league forcing TOs in the regular season as well).
They also run pretty few Pick and Roll plays, just subjectively, at least "real" pick and rolls (they set picks for Kobe, but on 95% of them he shoots). I guess with the right PG both Gasol and Bynum could be pretty lethal in those situations.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-22-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #397
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Westbrook interests me. He ended up in the perfect situation for his skills, and he seems on pace to end up with several rings because of it.

Based on his style, he seemed destined to be a guy who played for the Hawks or Knicks or something and annually led all point guards in scoring and attempts while leading his team to a string of 7 and 8 seeds and playoff one-and-dones.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #398
whomario
Pro Starter

I would hold that thought as the Mavs as well as the Lakers haven´t really defended him well at all (and he really didn´t have to waste much energy on defense either), but it´s certainly impressive that he has only 14 TOs in 9 playoff games (and just 4 in the last 6 games)
He has more 1-or-less TO games in 9 playoff games (6) than he had the entire regular season (4)

It´s clear that the Thunder changed their sets offensively after last season and it seems to pay off now.

Last edited by whomario : 05-22-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #399
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Propably the signature moment of yesterday´s game :

a problem of the Lakers also is that they don´t get many easy baskets. One, Kobe doesn´t open up space as much anymore as he´s defended (he´s definitely a "just let him get his, we´ll be able to survive that" player nowadays) with less and less help while Bynum still isn´t really getting established and their PGs still don´t create anything (Sessions was terrible). And their defense doesn´t force TOs, they managed to have the worst TO team in the league have a stellar series in terms of holding onto the ball (and were the worst team in the league forcing TOs in the regular season as well).
They also run pretty few Pick and Roll plays, just subjectively, at least "real" pick and rolls (they set picks for Kobe, but on 95% of them he shoots). I guess with the right PG both Gasol and Bynum could be pretty lethal in those situations.

I would be very curious to see how that Lakers team plays with Steve Nash running the point. He's probably outpriced any midlevel exceptions with his continue strong play, so I doubt he would end up with the Lakers, but that would be an intriguing addition for the Lakers.

Well, on offense at least.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #400
whomario
Pro Starter

You can allways hide a bad defender in a good system imo, Nash´s problem in Phoenix has been that you can count the above average defenders he played with on one hand. I think Kurt Thomas was actually the best interior defender he played with and he was old even then and not much of a help defender, maybe Shaq to a degree (but he was such a bad fit everywhere else it hardly mattered) ... That´s it, isn´t it ?

I allways wonder what would have been if he had ever played with a Garnett, Duncan or or even a guy/player type like Hibbert or Marc Gasol. Heck, even guys like Dalembert or Camby.

Last edited by whomario : 05-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.