Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #751
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I have to think that LSU/A&M is the largest miss of the O/U (45.5) in history.

It's definitely not every day the O/U is missed by 100.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #752
Edward64
Head Coach

Welcome to the 7 OT club!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #753
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's definitely not every day the O/U is missed by 100.

I bet the under.

Sums up my day yesterday
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #754
bob
College Starter

For fun. Let’s say:

- Alabama beats Georgia
- Clemson beats Pitt
- Texas beats Oklahoma
- Northweatern beats Ohio St

Everyone probably agrees on Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame. Who do you have as #4? Does it change if Alabama / UGA is close vs a blowout? I’d say no because if you take UGA, they would play Alabama again.

I don’t think UCF is #4 but the committee would have a hard time saying a non-power 5 other than ND really has a chance if they don’t take UCF. Would Texas get in with 3 losses?

Last edited by bob : 11-25-2018 at 07:51 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #755
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Unnoticed play at the end of regulation of that LSU game - AFTER the overturned INT, A&M had 4th and 18 and hit a sliding receiver short of the 1st down line. It was close, but he slid sideways/feet first and the ball was no better than 17.5 yards, short of the 1st down. No review, no measurement, no comment from the announcers - I assume because there were only 13 seconds or so and they didn't want to stop the game. But to my eyes, that was a bad spot.

I also thought the dude caught that pass and fumbled in the 2nd or 3rd OT. Again close, but he had control and 2 steps. I still don't get the "football move" stuff. There is no requirement that a runner tuck the ball. I could run Deion Sanders style down the sideline and never tuck the ball. Once you establish possession with 2 feet, everything after that should be a fumble.

LSU won that game 4 different times and still lost.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-25-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #756
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
For fun. Let’s say:

- Alabama beats Georgia
- Clemson beats Pitt
- Texas beats Oklahoma

Everyone probably agrees on Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame. Who do you have as #4? Does it change if Alabama / UGA is close vs a blowout? I’d say no because if you take UGA, they would play Alabama again.

I don’t think UCF is #4 but the committee would have a hard time saying a non-power 5 other than ND really has a chance if they don’t take UCF. Would Texas get in with 3 losses?

IF this were to happen I think Georgia would get in unless they got destroyed by Alabama in which the committee would probably feel perfectly fine with their reasoning of putting Central Florida in as the 4th team. It would just be super confusing at this point. Hard to take Michigan after getting beat by 20+ to an Ohio State team that you cant take for losing to Northwestern. Oklahoma is borderline as is with that defense. LSU with 3 losses doesnt seem to fit the criteria as well. It would probably make the committee quite happy however as it would give them a good enough reason to put UCF in as they could easily make the case no other team earned it.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #757
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I bet the under.

Sums up my day yesterday

One of my friends took and under mid-40s on a multiple OT game from 15+ years ago between Arkansas and Mississippi that ended up 58-56. He still hasnt forgotten it and talks about it.

They were at 48 at the end of regulation so its not like you completely whiffed on it if that makes you feel any better.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #758
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
One of my friends took and under mid-40s on a multiple OT game from 15+ years ago between Arkansas and Mississippi that ended up 58-56. He still hasnt forgotten it and talks about it.

They were at 48 at the end of regulation so its not like you completely whiffed on it if that makes you feel any better.

yeah, just one of those days.

Notre Dame letting USC march down the field was far more painful as I had a lot more on that one.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #759
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
For fun. Let’s say:

- Alabama beats Georgia
- Clemson beats Pitt
- Texas beats Oklahoma

I think your scenario is pretty clearly UCF.

More interesting to me is who is #4 if Oklahoma and Ohio State both win. This feels a lot like 2014 to me.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #760
MrBug708
Head Coach

Welcome back Clay!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #761
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Per reports: Kingsbury out at TT, Fedora out at UNC ... and a 2 yr extension for Lovie Smith at Illinois.

And I thought retaining CPJ was bad.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #762
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think your scenario is pretty clearly UCF.

More interesting to me is who is #4 if Oklahoma and Ohio State both win. This feels a lot like 2014 to me.

Yes, I think UCF also. I would welcome that to see how UCF would really do against the big boys.

OK vs OSU, assuming their wins are comparable, I'd go with OK. But I am rooting for a GA win which will put 2 SEC teams competing for the NC again.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #763
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

UCF would still have almost no chance in the committee, but given that their QB is toast, I would think the committee would use that excuse to bypass them. Kinda like when Cincinnati lost Kenyon Martin and they got dropped a full seed from the overall #1. And given that we're talking about 4 teams, not 64, that would likely mean no UCF, even in an armageddon scenario.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Next to Bama on Saturday, I don't know if I could root harder for anyone than I'll be pulling for Memphis.

#FuckUCF
Old 11-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #765
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
For fun. Let’s say:

- Alabama beats Georgia
- Clemson beats Pitt
- Texas beats Oklahoma

Obviously I don't particularly agree with the criteria, but isn't "they earned it because they lost fewer games" a big piece of it? (As opposed to "who can give Bama a good game?") So in that scenario, I'm thinking they would give it to UCF, QB or no, right call or not.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #766
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Next to Bama on Saturday, I don't know if I could root harder for anyone than I'll be pulling for Memphis.

#FuckUCF
Now time to have some fun with this impossible scenario...

UGA beats Bama
Pitt beats Clemson
Northwestern beats Ohio State
Texas beats Oklahoma

1. Notre Dame
2. UGA
3. UCF
4. probably Bama, but doesn't really matter for the punch line...

In this scenario, Jon has to root for UGA or UCF.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #767
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
In this scenario, Jon has to root for UGA or UCF.

Nope. Georgia vs LSU has prepared me for this scenario.

I root for a giant sinkhole to swallow the stadium (in the absence of a handy meteor).
Old 11-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #768
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Mack Brown back to UNC, supposedly.

Sources: Mack Brown Returning to UNC
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #769
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Mack Brown back to UNC, supposedly.

Sources: Mack Brown Returning to UNC

hahahahahaha
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #770
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
(PS while I'm ranting it doesn't matter except jersey color & I think Clemson should be favored by a TD or less, but I see no justification other than past playoff performance why Clemson is the 2 over ND right now. Clemson barely pulled out their only top 25 win at home against a team ND just torched on a neutral field, ND has two additional top 25 wins, and the two teams we struggled to pull away from with Book/Williams playing (Pitt/NW) are somehow both P5 division champs.)

I assume we are talking here about Syracuse? Is that the same game that Clemson played 2 1/2 quarters with their 3rd string QB entering the week? And the ND game where Syracuse's starting QB left the game before the end of the first quarter? Are we really putting these games on a level playing field?

The numbers I've seen have Clemson and Notre Dame with similar SOS and SOR numbers. Most computer rankings have Notre Dame lower than 3rd, while Clemson is a pretty consistent 2.

The preliminary spreads I saw had Notre Dame as a 12 point underdog to Clemson on a neutral field.

Since Clemson switched QBs, they haven't had an opponent come within 20 points of them. Granted, the best opponent they have played has probably been Boston College, who played almost the entire game without their starting QB.

If you want to go another comparison route, Clemson beat Florida State in Tallahassee by 49 while Notre Dame beat them in South Bend by 29.

Notre Dame beat Wake by 29 in Winston-Salem, while Clemson won by 60. There are actually plenty of comparison points between the two teams, and there will be another after Saturday. I'll be surprised if Pitt stays within 5 of Clemson.

Notre Dame deserves a lot of credit for beating Michigan, but that win just lost a lot of its luster.

I think like others in this thread that there is a ton of mediocrity in college football this year, and the ratings beyond the top 6 or so are pretty meaningless.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #771
Butter
Coordinator

True armageddon scenario seems like it would be Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and UCF all losing. Who backdoors in then? Georgia to play Alabama a second straight time?

Michigan?

A 3-loss Texas???

I feel like even if Alabama or Clemson lose this weekend, they are still both in. Unless they BOTH lose, then Bama is in over Clemson, while Oklahoma would probably be 3 or 4.

Last edited by Butter : 11-26-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #772
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Now I’m curious about your thoughts on this: if “can’t compete vs Alabama” is the metric, what if the SECCG plays out similar to last year’s championship game and several other dominoes fall as you mentioned above. Does a multi-loss Georgia team that would have proven they *can* compete with Alabama this year deserve another shot? (I mean, is the goal here “JUST DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP BAMA FROM WINNING AGAIN???” ��)
My goal isn't Anybody But Bama, it's crown a deserving champion. 14-0 UCF that beat Alabama & Clemson/ND back to back would be a deserving champion, 12-3 Texas that did the same would not be in my mind. Doesn't mean I want every undefeated non-P5 team in - I thought the committee got it right putting 1 loss Alabama that "didn't even win it's division" in over undefeated UCF last year, and one loss Oklahoma should definitely be in line ahead of them - but in the scenario where there is no one loss P5 team for spot #4 I'd prefer UCF.

I don't have any strong feelings on Georgia - like most I think they can get in and the committee would take them with a close loss if Oklahoma & Ohio State both lose... but I'd still prefer undefeated UCF in that scenario even though they have a worse chance of upsetting Bama.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-26-2018 at 04:39 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #773
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
I don't have any strong feelings on Georgia - like most I think they can get in and the committee would take them with a close loss if Oklahoma & Ohio State both lose... but I'd still prefer undefeated UCF in that scenario even though they have NO chanceof upsetting Bama, and wouldn't even score a point.

Fixed.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #774
Ben E Lou

Quote:
like most I think they can get in and the committee would take them with a close loss if Oklahoma & Ohio State both lose...
Yeah...a couple of days or so ago I posted that I thought in Bob's scenario that UCF gets in, but I've seen several pundits suggest that it would be UGA. *shurg*
Old 11-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #775
Ben E Lou

How to fix the CFP? Scrap Conference Championship Weekend

Quote:
This is the slate of games (rankings are projected) for the “opening round” of the current postseason:

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Georgia: Alabama only has to not lose by, say, 50 points and they advance. Georgia either has to win, or maybe just lose by a couple points, to advance.

No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 22 Pitt: Clemson just has to not lose by more than, say, 21 points and they advance. Pitt can’t advance.

No. 3 Notre Dame. Idle. They advance.

No. 5 Oklahoma vs. No. 13 Texas: Oklahoma needs to win, Georgia needs to lose and then they need to win a debate with Ohio State (or have Ohio State lose) to advance. Texas can’t advance.

No. 6 Ohio State vs. No. 18 Northwestern: Ohio State needs to win, Georgia to lose and then they need to win a debate with Oklahoma (or have Oklahoma lose) to advance. Northwestern can’t advance.

No. 7 UCF vs. unranked Memphis: Game is meaningless.

No. 13 Washington vs. No. 16 Utah: Game is meaningless.

]If the conference championships were scrapped, here’s what we could have instead, using five automatic bids for the major conferences, three at-large bids and home sites for the first round:

No. 8 Washington at No. 1 Alabama, yes, in Tuscaloosa.
No. 7 UCF at No. 2 Clemson, yes, in Clemson.
No. 6 Ohio State at No. 3 Notre Dame, yes, in South Bend.
No. 5 Oklahoma at No. 4 Georgia, yes, between the hedges.

Which set of games would you choose to be the first round of your postseason/playoff? This is not a trick question.

If you answer the former over the latter, you’re either a bowl director terrified of the playoff being staged in electric and historic on-campus stadiums (while generating economic activity for the towns that support the sport all year long) because people might realize there’s no need to give the bowls the semifinals, either, or you’re an asleep-at-the-wheel conference commissioner.

You can have eight teams with legitimate claims for a playoff spot play each other, or you can have Clemson vs. Pitt.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can have eight teams with legitimate claims for a playoff spot

Right there is where the hard fail comes in on this: There aren't 8 teams with a legitimate claim for a playoff spot.

There's nothing legitimate about at least two of those.

There was also never a need for the whole playoff silliness either, aside from the casual fan masses & the opportunity to make money from it.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #777
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The other major problem with the idea is that conference championship games are often the most fair way to determine the "winner" of that conference. With so many of the conferences at 12 (or more) teams and only 8-9 conference games, they are all set up with unbalanced schedules in terms of who plays who. I mean, they're already kind of messed-up anyway with teams not playing every other conference opponent, but at least with division winners and a conference championship game there's some level of addressing that imbalance.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #778
Danny
Head Coach

If George, Oklahoma and Ohio st all lost old UCF get in?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #779
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I don't understand why you can't have both conference championships and the 8-team playoff model. Whether or not the bottom few of those eight teams are worthy seems a moot point; if they're that much not worthy, they lose anyway. Is adding one game to the schedule that crazy?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #780
HerRealName
College Prospect

Ohio State at 6 and Michigan at 7. That's logical.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #781
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I would be in favor of a 6 team with 1 and 2 getting a bye and pigtailing in.
Beyond that, no expansion.

The challenge with a round 1 in a college town is how much advance notice you need to get police, traffic and crowd control..

SC can't exactly make 1/4 of their state troopers on mandatory overtime with 5 days notice...given vacation rules etc.

All these cool solutions lack logistic feasibility
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #782
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I don't understand why you can't have both conference championships and the 8-team playoff model. Whether or not the bottom few of those eight teams are worthy seems a moot point; if they're that much not worthy, they lose anyway. Is adding one game to the schedule that crazy?

You wanna start the season even earlier?
End it even later (and run into the NFL as more competition)?

Granted, the answer to both those is to go back to 11 regular season games but you're talking about a helluva lot of lost revenue to 100+ teams so, yeah, good luck with that.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #783
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The challenge with a round 1 in a college town is how much advance notice you need to get police, traffic and crowd control..

SC can't exactly make 1/4 of their state troopers on mandatory overtime with 5 days notice...given vacation rules etc.

All these cool solutions lack logistic feasibility

My questions regarding logistics:

1. How do NFL cities deal with this? There can be wildcard teams that don't know they're hosting a game more than six days in advance, but they figure it out.

2. Why in the world do you need 1/4 of a state's troopers to host one football game? And even if you need that much staff, why does it have to be troopers?

(Caveat: I've not been to very many college football games. But the two that I've been to at Maryland and at Purdue...well, I don't recall seeing ANY troopers. Yeah, not exactly 100k crowds in football hotbeds, but there's a big gap between "handful of hired security" and "1/4 of a state's force")

3. Neutral site? I'm sure Jerry World has this shit figured out and would love to host another date.

Quote:

Granted, the answer to both those is to go back to 11 regular season games but you're talking about a helluva lot of lost revenue to 100+ teams so, yeah, good luck with that.

I still don't buy this. Just play further into December or start back up again earlier. As for the NFL, you don't think a college playoff game could beat a Redskins/Titans game? Texans/Jets? Browns/Broncos? Those games are ass, I'd chose a playoff game in a heartbeat.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #784
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

SEC Championship game is Dec 1. The semifinals aren't until Dec 29th. No need to change a damn thing, round of 8 on Dec 15th, done.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #785
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

1. How do NFL cities deal with this? There can be wildcard teams that don't know they're hosting a game more than six days in advance, but they figure it out.

2. Why in the world do you need 1/4 of a state's troopers to host one football game? And even if you need that much staff, why does it have to be troopers?

(Caveat: I've not been to very many college football games. But the two that I've been to at Maryland and at Purdue...well, I don't recall seeing ANY troopers. Yeah, not exactly 100k crowds in football hotbeds, but there's a big gap between "handful of hired security" and "1/4 of a state's force")

3. Neutral site? I'm sure Jerry World has this shit figured out and would love to host another date.

I still don't buy this. Just play further into December or start back up again earlier. As for the NFL, you don't think a college playoff game could beat a Redskins/Titans game? Texans/Jets? Browns/Broncos? Those games are ass, I'd chose a playoff game in a heartbeat.

+1 to all of the above.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #786
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

I agree that taking a game away from 100+ teams is a complete non-starter...but what's the actual stumbling block to just adding the game? It's four total additional games per year.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #787
Logan
Head Coach

Guarantee we can find every one of those questions being asked back under the BCS system when people eked a true 4 team playoff.

The answer, as always, is that if the money is worth it, they'll make it work.

Last edited by Logan : 11-27-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #788
Jstraub
n00b

Unless you are an alumnus or die hard fan from your home state, I really don’t understand why people even follow this garbage. College football games are not good products, most games are blow outs and rarely do top seeds produce a competitive game. It’s basketball on grass for about 90% of the teams. The other 10 % either have all the defensive talent stockpiled (e.g. Alabama) or stubbornly adhere to tradition (Iowa, Wisconsin, etc). It saddens me because I used to love watching college football. I can’t even figure out what logic goes into conference alignment.

My solution

A. Reduce football scholarships (spread talent around)
B. Figure out who is in charge of this mess. NCAA, power 5 conferences, ESPN? Whoever it is need to take control or there won’t be casual fans in 20 + years. The on the field product is getting worse at an alarming rate.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #789
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
A. Reduce football scholarships (spread talent around)

My God, that's already done more damage to the product than anything in history.

There's barely enough talent depth to adequately stock half the teams as it is
Old 11-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #790
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

1. How do NFL cities deal with this?

Clearly you're not thinking about the size difference of a typical "college town" vs an NFL city.

The city of Athens has 125,00 people, the county population is 127k. Every home game attracts roughly doubles the population of the town for a day. (estimates are that an additional 1/4th to 1/2 of the stadium capacity comes into Athens on game days regardless of having tickets ... crazy to me but it happens). And there's basically one way into town for the majority of the attendees.

Atlanta has a population roughly 4x that, just in the city limits proper. Closer to 20x metro area vs metro area. And an NFL game draws roughly half the crowd.

This is not entirely unique to college football however. NASCAR events (track is south of Atlanta) have long been one of the busiest days for troopers here. Similar sized crowds (in years past at least), same overwhelming numbers.

Quote:

Go back to size. What other agency has that much certified manpower? It's either troopers or mobilize the national guard.

edit to add: Remember now, this is part of the discussion because the quoted article that sent us into this silliness specifically mentioned using campus sites, that was one of its (alleged) selling points. It was also one of the key pieces of evidence that the writer is completely out of touch with reality.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-27-2018 at 11:59 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #791
RainMaker
General Manager

I feel like most of these major schools could handle an on-site playoff game with 2-3 weeks notice. They handle basketball games on a day or two when the NIT comes out (I know it's a smaller scale). They handle moving games when there is a hurricane or other emergency on short notice. Plus the schools involved will likely know they're in contention for a home game and can probably plan sooner.

And it's not like money is an issue. Whoever puts the playoff together could provide money to the host school for the security and such.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #792
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Unless you are an alumnus or die hard fan from your home state, I really don’t understand why people even follow this garbage. College football games are not good products, most games are blow outs and rarely do top seeds produce a competitive game. It’s basketball on grass for about 90% of the teams. The other 10 % either have all the defensive talent stockpiled (e.g. Alabama) or stubbornly adhere to tradition (Iowa, Wisconsin, etc). It saddens me because I used to love watching college football. I can’t even figure out what logic goes into conference alignment.

Because for many it's more about the spectacle than the competition. It's about the bands, traditions, tailgating, and attachment to something in their past. Bowl games are the equivalent of people who watch an awards show to see what everyone is wearing and not who won.

I'd love to see an 8-game playoff but that's just because I think it's fun to watch the best teams play each other. As opposed to watching the best teams beat up on vastly inferior competition. But people watch sports for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The other major problem with the idea is that conference championship games are often the most fair way to determine the "winner" of that conference. With so many of the conferences at 12 (or more) teams and only 8-9 conference games, they are all set up with unbalanced schedules in terms of who plays who. I mean, they're already kind of messed-up anyway with teams not playing every other conference opponent, but at least with division winners and a conference championship game there's some level of addressing that imbalance.

Superconferences suck and defeat what was fun about conferences. Now they all feel empty and dilute the rivalries. Does anyone in the old Big 10 give a shit about their games against Rutgers and Maryland? Were USC fans yearning to battle Utah every year?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #793
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They handle basketball games on a day or two when the NIT comes out (I know it's a smaller scale).

Yeeeah, you could say that lol.

Sticking with the UGA example, one home football game is roughly the same number of people as an entire season (15 games last year) of men's basketball.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #794
bob
College Starter

Quote:
My God, that's already done more damage to the product than anything in history.

There's barely enough talent depth to adequately stock half the teams as it is

Are you saying this because it damaged the top teams, or did it have some negative affect to all of college football that I'm not understanding?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #795
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Figure out who is in charge of this mess. NCAA, power 5 conferences, ESPN

I think that's the root of a lot of the problems. There is no one entity in charge. There are big schools. And small schools. And the NCAA. And the network partners. And the conferences. And they all have slightly different, and often competing, interests. And that's not even thinking about the fans and the players--who don't really have a say in what happens but are certainly part of the process.

The best thing for CFB would be for God to come down and appoint someone Czar for 3 years. That person would have a vision and the power to implement it. I don't even care so much what the vision is, as long as it is coherent and not this weird mish-mash of slightly different goals all smushed together. It's impossible, I know, but short of that, I'm not sure what to do. There's too much money involved for any entity to voluntarily give up its power over the situation.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #796
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Jon hit on much of it, but let me give you some even more crazy numbers.
I'll use Clemson because its what I know, but it isnt unique lots of small colleges fit this mold.
1- The city of Clemson has a population of 16,000 when school is in. 1,250 when its out. On Gamedays the city swells to 150,000-175,000. The stadium only holds 85k but tons of folks come just to tailgate, local businesses bring in increased staff and tv support personnel etc.

To put the infrastructure into perspective for folks that havent been there. The nearest interstate is 20 miles away and a single 4 lane highway takes you from Clemson to Anderson on this 4 lane highway. On game nights traffic is reversed in both directions, like a Hurricane evacuation plan where literally it is impossible to get into the city for 2-4 hours. All roads are reversed out of town. Its is total road saturation just to move the volume of people necessary.

This traffic pattern crosses 2-3 counties on state highways. So by law, only a state trooper regiment can alter traffic flow on state highways.

SC is a small state already with a population of just 5 Million. There are only like 650 State troopers and of those only around 500 are field employees. So when you take 1/4 of them you are only talking about 125 people for traffic control.

The smallest NFL market is Green Bay as far as I know. That's a city with 350,000. or 20x the size. The NFL comparison doesnt work.

Neutral sites work because they are in major cities which have infrastructure in place. But the article in question specifically mentions college town hosts.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #797
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Superconferences suck and defeat what was fun about conferences. Now they all feel empty and dilute the rivalries. Does anyone in the old Big 10 give a shit about their games against Rutgers and Maryland? Were USC fans yearning to battle Utah every year?

If those teams are reasonably competitive, and the games mean something, of course. These are schools with big alumni bases in damn near every major city, which means fans of those teams know fans of the other teams. It means getting relatively large groups of visiting fans at the games which adds to the whole experience.

I'm willing to wager the average PSU fan would get more excitement for a matchup against a top 40 Rutgers team than they would a top 40 Illinois team or top 40 Purdue team.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #798
lungs
Pro Rookie

I didn't even know Clemson was an actual town. I just thought it was the name of a university.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #799
lungs
Pro Rookie

dola

Green Bay is actually around 100,000 people. But the point is still there.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #800
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
dola

Green Bay is actually around 100,000 people. But the point is still there.

In the city proper. The Green Bay Metro is 350k.

Put another way,

WI has a population of 5.8 Million.
SC has a population of 5.0 Million.

Green Bay is the 3rd largest city in WI.
Clemson is the 32 largest city in SC.