Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

DDS:College Basketball Half-Off Sale Extended Through Monday April 6th

From the Wolverine Studios boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
It's Tournament Time! Now through Sunday - save 50% on DDS: College Basketball and help us help a good cause!

It's that time of year again - your brackets are filled out and you're craving some college hoops action. If only the games were on 24-7, right? Well here's your chance to get your fill of college basketball action with Draft Day Sports: College Basketball at an unbeatable price. Now through Sunday, March 22nd we're selling DDS:CB for only 19.95 in our webstore - that's HALF OFF the normal price of 39.95.

In addition to getting a fantastic college basketball sim and an amazing price there's one more benefit. You can help us help someone else. Recently we learned of the unexpected passing of Randy Chase - for those who don't know Randy not only was he one of our community's largest and most enthusiastic supporters in addition to being a great friend but he was also an independent game developer and a very good one at that. Randy owned Kellogg Creek Software and published games such as the Doonesbury Election Game, Spirit Wars and Power Politics. He helped lay the groundwork for us and other independent game companies to have a chance to succeed in the marketplace and we'd like to do something to give back to his family. If it weren't for people like him some of your favorite games from independent developers may not exist today. That's why Wolverine Studios is going to donate the proceeds of sales during this time to Randy's family through a fund that is in the process of being setup. DDS: College Basketball was one of Randy's favorite games to play and comment on and it seems only fitting that the game that brought him so much joy can maybe bring his family something during this difficult time.

If you're wondering why cut the price in half if we're trying to raise money - the answer is so that more people can help if they want to. If you could afford to pay the normal price and wish to do so to help out then buy two copies. Even if you aren't a huge college basketball fan maybe buy a license and give it to a friend to get them involved in the text sim world or who knows - maybe if you give it a shot you just might like it yourself. Either way you'll be helping us help a good cause.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 04-04-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Thanks for posting (and so fast!) - if Ben or any of the mods would be willing to give this a sticky through the weekend I would sure appreciate it. I would never ask for anything related to my company to be stuck on the forum here but I really want to raise as much as we can for his family.

If anyone is interested there are some more details on Randy's Power Politics forum (including a link to the obituary if you would like to know more about Randy) and his son, Jonathan started a great thread on our website talking about some of his memories of his dad and what he did with DDS: College Basketball.

The threads are located at

PP site - Kellogg Creek Software :: View topic - A sad, sad, day...
WS thread - Randy Chase - Wolverine Studios

I know its hard right now with the economy being what it is so thank you in advance if you can help out.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Kudos to Gary for a very classy move. I'll do my part to keep this at the top of the page
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
SCgoatman
n00b

Obviously thoughts w/ Randy's family and friends during this trying time; and credit to WS for a thoughtful gesture.
SCgoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

I'll be in for a copy before the weekend is out.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Charity aside, I have this game and it's quite a bit of fun. I bought it at full price. At half price, it's a no brainer purchase.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Charity aside, I have this game and it's quite a bit of fun. I bought it at full price. At half price, it's a no brainer purchase.

+1

I had this game installed way back when and it was tons of fun, but that was on an old HD and I haven't reinstalled it. Considering the cost is going to a good cause I'm likely to just re-buy this weekend.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Awesome gesture Gary and as someone who just recently purchased this is a great deal on a great game. I wish I had purchased it much sooner.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
rjolley
College Starter

Does anyone know if you'll be able to use the draft files from DDS: CB for DDS:PB 1 or 2?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
PilotMan
Head Coach

I will also be in for this by the end of the weekend. It has been on my list, but never could pull the trigger on it. rjolley, pretty sure that the answer is yes.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Does anyone know if you'll be able to use the draft files from DDS: CB for DDS:PB 1 or 2?

You can import draft files from DDS:PB to DDS:CB. I don't remember if Gary has specified whether DDS:PB2 will also work with DDS:CB when it's released.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You can import draft files from DDS:PB to DDS:CB. I don't remember if Gary has specified whether DDS:PB2 will also work with DDS:CB when it's released.

Yeah it will have the same functionality that DDS:PB1 currently has with DDS:CB
Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
+1

I had this game installed way back when and it was tons of fun, but that was on an old HD and I haven't reinstalled it. Considering the cost is going to a good cause I'm likely to just re-buy this weekend.

Ditto. A virus caused me to wipe my HD and I haven't reinstalled it but am getting the itch to play it again. With the good cause, I'll probably just repurchase it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Ramzavail
College Starter

The game is worth 39.95, and definitely 19.95 for a good cause.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 03-19-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Ditto. A virus caused me to wipe my HD and I haven't reinstalled it but am getting the itch to play it again. With the good cause, I'll probably just repurchase it.

I still remember my first dynasty. I was some podunk school like Arkansas State or something, and I got some sick JuCo transfer who only stayed with us for one year before going to the NBA draft and being the #1 overall pick...man that was a hell of a lot of fun.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have been thinking about trying this game out, and this just seals the deal.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
...if Ben or any of the mods would be willing to give this a sticky through the weekend I would sure appreciate it...

Done. Not a mod, but I can sticky threads
Old 03-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Thanks Ant - and thank you to everyone who has been supportive of the idea. We've had a nice start to the sale and I especially appreciate those who previously bought the game and are willing to do so again to support our cause.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks Ant - and thank you to everyone who has been supportive of the idea. We've had a nice start to the sale and I especially appreciate those who previously bought the game and are willing to do so again to support our cause.

Thanks for doing this Gary. I didn't know Randy like you did but I did get to know him a bit when Power Politics came out and he was a great guy. To be able to buy a game I've been on the fence about ( general text game fatigue is the culprit ) and help his family out. Indeed a no brainer.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #20
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Thanks for doing this Gary. I didn't know Randy like you did but I did get to know him a bit when Power Politics came out and he was a great guy. To be able to buy a game I've been on the fence about ( general text game fatigue is the culprit ) and help his family out. Indeed a no brainer.

Thanks for the support! Randy was a great guy - I guess one of the advantages of being a developer is that I've gotten the opportunity to either meet with or at least talk to some of the other developers and Randy was a class act all the way. He did so many interesting things trying to use his projects like Power Politics as an educational tool in schools or with exhibits and was such a diverse guy...just so many good things I remember now as I type this. We definitely lost a good one way too early.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Can I create a custom sized NCAA tournament in this game?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #22
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Can I create a custom sized NCAA tournament in this game?

No - standard size NCAA tournament only
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Before I proceed, how does the option to upgrade to the pro and college bundle affect this event?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Before I proceed, how does the option to upgrade to the pro and college bundle affect this event?

Well if you do the bundle you get DDSPB at its normal reduced "bundle price" and its like $19 for DDSCB instead of $20. In terms of raising the money I'm just going to count the number of DDSCB sales from Thu-Sun as whole sales whether they were purchased separately or as part of the bundle.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Just a quick reminder to all that tomorrow will be the last day we're running this offer. So if you want to get in cheap or just to support the cause tomorrow (Sunday) is the last day to do so.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah - it's on my agenda to do tonight/tomorrow.

although part of me feels bad for taking the money out of your pocket Gary

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-21-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #27
cougarfreak
College Starter

Had my eye on it, this definitely pushed me over the top. Haven't ever gotten into a text bball game, but this should be fun. And a plus, a donation to a good cause.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #28
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I played TCB a lot and enjoyed it very much, but I never really had the desire to upgrade to DDS:CB. I recently had a Windows issue that forced me to do a reinstall, and I never got around to getting my licenses back for TCB.

This promotion made it a lot easier to do the upgrade, and it is a very nice gesture by Gary. With March Madness here this really was a no-brainer.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yeah - it's on my agenda to do tonight/tomorrow.

although part of me feels bad for taking the money out of your pocket Gary

well if you feel THAT bad about it you could always buy DDSPB (or DDSPB2 when it comes out)

But seriously - I wanted to do this and am happy that we'll be able to help out Randy's family so do it today before our sale ends.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on buying this today too.

Quick Q, does DDS:CB handle freshman better than FBCB? FBCB the incoming freshman seem to be rated very low and the CPU redshirts far to many.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd say there's a good mix for freshmen and in some cases, the freshmen are the dominant individual stars.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yay! bought!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
bbor
Pro Starter

Just purchased this....but when i went to run the game i got a RT error

2005401480(88780078)
Automation error

ANy idea why?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #34
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Just purchased this....but when i went to run the game i got a RT error

2005401480(88780078)
Automation error

ANy idea why?

Well its possible a needed .dll file did not register properly. First though - check your sound card to make sure the driver is loaded.

Another person experienced this error quite some time ago with TPG

Run-time error '-2005401480 (88780078)' - Wolverine Studios
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well its possible a needed .dll file did not register properly. First though - check your sound card to make sure the driver is loaded.

Another person experienced this error quite some time ago with TPG

Run-time error '-2005401480 (88780078)' - Wolverine Studios

Thx Gary...but now i have to buy a new sound card to play Mine is cacked.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #36
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Thx Gary...but now i have to buy a new sound card to play Mine is cacked.

That sucks - you sure its just not a driver problem? If you don't have any other reason to buy a sound card and don't feel like doing it just PM me your license ID and we'll shoot you a refund since it obviously won't play on your system.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #37
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well, call me crazy. Saw the post about the offer, and the fund for Randy's family on Friday. I don't follow college basketball, like at all, didn't know Randy Chase or his family, but I just bought the game. Figured playing a game was as good a way to learn about the whole hoopla that March Madness is every Spring.

I did download the demo yesterday, but only twiddled with it for maybe 20 minutes this evening. Still, thought that $20 was cool and the game looked like fun. Will probably have my assistant do all the strategy and most of the coaching for a little while though.

FM
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Will probably have my assistant do all the strategy and most of the coaching for a little while though.

FM

that's typically what i do because i struggle with when is the right time to try to implement whatever i want my vision to be
Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #39
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
That sucks - you sure its just not a driver problem? If you don't have any other reason to buy a sound card and don't feel like doing it just PM me your license ID and we'll shoot you a refund since it obviously won't play on your system.

No problem....i'll keep the game and be happy i made the donation to a good cause.Thanks though.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #40
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Thank you everyone who participated in this - we exceeded my expectations for what could be raised and that's definitely in part to some of the great people on this forum. If anyone didn't get in on it and still wants to donate I will be happy to share that info with you as soon as the family finishes setting up the fund. Thank you again and mods please unsticky the thread now.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thanks for the offer Gary. It will definately have made me more likely to purchase DDSPB2 when that is released, so that I can link the two games together.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #42
Antmeister
Pro Starter

bump....unstick

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #43
hoopsguy
General Manager

I would like to thank Gary for his help over the weekend with troubleshooting the install. Note - it is hard to run the program if you have only installed the patch and not the original download.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I would like to thank Gary for his help over the weekend with troubleshooting the install. Note - it is hard to run the program if you have only installed the patch and not the original download.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #45
Balldog
Pro Rookie

haha

DOH!

Old 03-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #46
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Is it possible to sim 5 seasons or so for some history? If so, how?

Last edited by Balldog : 03-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #47
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't regret helping out by purchasing this, but I'm not sure I've had a more frustrating experience with a game. The volume of RTEs has made it damn near unplayable. I finally got to the games on my fifth attempt, but it crashed in late November and won't read my save file.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't regret helping out by purchasing this, but I'm not sure I've had a more frustrating experience with a game. The volume of RTEs has made it damn near unplayable. I finally got to the games on my fifth attempt, but it crashed in late November and won't read my save file.

o rly?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #49
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yep. I've been getting a run time error 0 that's apparently a known issue, but without a solution. I wasn't that pissed until my save file was corrupted. I doubt I'll give it another try.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hmmm