Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Motorcycle: It's that time again!?!

Since I sold my Suzuki Katana last year, a new motorcycle dealership just opened really close to my house. I'm thinking about getting this beautiful Suzuki GSX-R600. Now that I work at one place and spend about $60 a week on gas with my truck.. this would do me quite well.

I've always loved the crotch rocket style motorcycle.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7...12435913go.jpg

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
JS19
College Prospect

Sold my Honda CBR 600RR last summer. Man do I regret that now. Last week there was a streak of 70+ degree days and I wished I was riding. Won't do me any good right now being I'm on what I like to view as my personal DL til mid summer anyway. Being that this summer seems to be a wash for me, I have full intentions of buying another bike next year. There is just no greater feeling than riding.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep JS19, tomorrow is my day!!
Old 04-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
JeffNights
College Prospect

Ok, the Katana is a decent starter bike, you are aware that the gixxer line is a completely different animal yes?

I make this post with no knowledge of your riding skills, so dont flame, just letting you know.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Todd

Or this is better

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Here's my Ducati.

If the wind dies down I'm taking her out tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
SegRat
High School Varsity

I just dumped my bike Wensday. A lady turned in front of me and I had no where to go but down. Messed my knee up pretty good. The bike had minimal damage. This is the first time with 3 diffrent bikes that I have ever laid one down. Sure does suck.

Last edited by SegRat : 04-28-2006 at 01:24 AM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd opt for a CBR if I was you - great machine, decent running costs and very nice performance ... plus its less likely to spit you off should you get your line wrong than most fast bikes
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #9
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Fully Endorses this thread
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
Ok, the Katana is a decent starter bike, you are aware that the gixxer line is a completely different animal yes?

I make this post with no knowledge of your riding skills, so dont flame, just letting you know.

Sure do. I had a Yamaha FZR 600 back when I was in the Marines. The Katana was just to get me back into the groove, so to speak. Those guys and their CBRs, ZX-6s, and R6s used to come by me and smile.

I actually was ready to get an R6, but this place just opened up here in town and the Suzuki really had a great review in the major motorcycle magazines. Plus it looks the best, imo.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Bought a 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 from a friend of a friend for $5500 - this bike only has 400 miles on it and is in mint condition. Much better than what I was willing to spend on a brand new one.

Can't wait until next week when I get to pick it up!
Old 04-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
JS19
College Prospect

Very nice. Although I had always been a Honda man, Yamaha seems to be the best now. After riding some of my friends R6's and R1's I know I will be buying Yamaha next yr. I have never been on an '04 R6, but have ridden an '04 R1 and I must say the way that bike handled was a dream, it felt like the bike would lean itself with no effort, I would assume the R6 was designed the same way. Good luck and be safe!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Very nice. Although I had always been a Honda man, Yamaha seems to be the best now. After riding some of my friends R6's and R1's I know I will be buying Yamaha next yr. I have never been on an '04 R6, but have ridden an '04 R1 and I must say the way that bike handled was a dream, it felt like the bike would lean itself with no effort, I would assume the R6 was designed the same way. Good luck and be safe!

Thanks!

I just saw a 2006 R6 and WOW does that bike look sweet.

My friend rode his friends R6 and loved it. He has a Kawasaki ZX-6 and said if he didn't have so much money in aftermarket stuff in his bike, he would have bought the R6 and sold his bike. The last Yamaha I rode was a 1991 FZR and I really liked that bike. Should be a nice ride from his house, which is about an hour away.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Bought a 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 from a friend of a friend for $5500 - this bike only has 400 miles on it and is in mint condition. Much better than what I was willing to spend on a brand new one.

Can't wait until next week when I get to pick it up!

What color you get?

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004...yamaha_yzf_r6/
Old 04-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I wanted the Blue, but he has:

..and it looks just like this too, pretty much brand new!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-15-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #16
JS19
College Prospect

Ugh, you had to throw the pictures in here. A work of art. Biggest mistake of my life was selling my bike, hands down.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ugh, you had to throw the pictures in here. A work of art. Biggest mistake of my life was selling my bike, hands down.

Check out the 2006 R6

Old 04-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

With a great motorcycle you need a great helmet too.

Show us your Helmet here.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #19
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

I think posting a pic of your helmet here would get you banned.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
I think posting a pic of your helmet here would get you banned.

The guy is throwing in a helmet and a bike cover.. haven't seen his BIKE helmet yet.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
With a great motorcycle you need a great helmet too.

*strongly resisting urge to make any number of Spaceballs jokes here*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #22
JS19
College Prospect

WOW. That's my first look at anything 2006. After I realized how much I missed riding I tried to distance myself from bikes so I wouldn't feel so bad. I am still a fan of the undertail exhaust but that one is very nice as well.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Today is so nice outside, I wish I had it right now.

Oh well... next week will be here soon enough!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Brought it home last night and I love it!!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Harley-Davidson just opened a massive dealership in my town. Sadly, I'm not a bike enthusiast, so it does nothing for me, but just thought I'd share.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Brought it home last night and I love it!!

Don't suppose you'll be heading over to KC any time soon to show off?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Don't suppose you'll be heading over to KC any time soon to show off?

SI

Shoot.. some time off would be nice.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #28
JS19
College Prospect

How do you feel it rides compared to your Suzuki? or any other bike you have ridden.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How do you feel it rides compared to your Suzuki? or any other bike you have ridden.

I was just telling a friend how much better it rides than the Suzuki Katana did. I thought being a faster tweaked bike, it wouldn't ride as nice.. but it really rides nice, easy to manuver, and well lots of speed at your fingertips. I can't wait until tomorrow so I can go and get my temp tags as I await my title to get here.

I find that when I park it down the street at the quick stop (as that's a safe ride without plates) when I get out of the store there are always 2 or 3 people looking at it. I love it, best bike I've owned. The only thing I don't like is it has two headlights and only one comes on when you start it (the R one) and only when you hit your high beams does the other light come on. Weird.. but it's by design.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #30
JS19
College Prospect

I don't know what it is about Yamaha, but they have mastered the handling of a bike, in my opinion anyway.

Quote:
The only thing I don't like is it has two headlights and only one comes on when you start it (the R one) and only when you hit your high beams does the other light come on. Weird.. but it's by design.

Same thing happened with my '04 Honda. Pissed me off for the longest time bc I was too dumb to realize that's how it was designed.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What kind of mileage is a bike like that supposed to get? I really don't like the crotch rocket style, and would likely opt for a larger bike if possible. At 6'4" I'd hate to have to hunch down like that. At the rate we're headed, a bike that gets some good mileage is the way that I think I want to go in.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:40 AM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
What kind of mileage is a bike like that supposed to get? I really don't like the crotch rocket style, and would likely opt for a larger bike if possible. At 6'4" I'd hate to have to hunch down like that. At the rate we're headed, a bike that gets some good mileage is the way that I think I want to go in.

Mine gets about 45 miles per gallon according to a guide I read online. So, that's about 30-33 more per gallon than my truck and one of the biggest reasons I bought one.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #33
SegRat
High School Varsity

Got my new bike today. I started with an 89 Yamaha FZR 600 known as the Bud bike because of the Budweiser decals. Then I bought a 94 Honda CBR 600. The end of last season I bought (for gas purpouses) a 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Today I traded in the Ninja for a 05 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak. Love the bike. It will hold me over until I get a Harley or a Big Dog.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #34
JS19
College Prospect

I'm more of a crotch-rocket kind of guy, but I can appreciate all bikes, and that one there looks like a great bike.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's a nice looking bike.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 AM   #36
SegRat
High School Varsity

Thanks guys. This is the exact look of a bike of have always desired. What a difference not only going from a sport bike to a crusier, but going from a 250 to a 1600.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #37
SegRat
High School Varsity

Dola,

This is the bike I really hope to get some day. It's the Big Dog Mastiff.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
Got my new bike today. I started with an 89 Yamaha FZR 600 known as the Bud bike because of the Budweiser decals. Then I bought a 94 Honda CBR 600. The end of last season I bought (for gas purpouses) a 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Today I traded in the Ninja for a 05 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak. Love the bike. It will hold me over until I get a Harley or a Big Dog.

Nice looking bike!!!

I'll have to take some pictures of mine.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #39
SegRat
High School Varsity

After a good day riding the new bike, I can say I could never go back to a sport bike. What a ride.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After almost 3 months with my '04 R6, I can honestly say I love my bike. I've put around 800 miles on it so far and really like the way it handles and rides.

With the gas prices, I'm seeing all kinds of motorcycles on the highways around here.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #41
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, today is a sad day. Sold my bike.. winter is here and I want to build up some savings and finally go HD sometime soon.

I will miss thee...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #42
JS19
College Prospect

Picked up an '06 R6 Raven today. It's been the bike of my dreams since it came out, so i'm pretty pumped. Anyone know of a place online that sells fairings cheap? I'm assuming most will say ebay and craigslist, but already checked there and found nothing. The bike is pretty mint but has some scuffs on the sides which i wouldn't mind replacing whenever I may come into a few extra bucks.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Picked up an '06 R6 Raven today. It's been the bike of my dreams since it came out, so i'm pretty pumped. Anyone know of a place online that sells fairings cheap? I'm assuming most will say ebay and craigslist, but already checked there and found nothing. The bike is pretty mint but has some scuffs on the sides which i wouldn't mind replacing whenever I may come into a few extra bucks.

Excellent choice, post some pics when you get a chance!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #44
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Since I sold my Suzuki Katana last year, a new motorcycle dealership just opened really close to my house. I'm thinking about getting this beautiful Suzuki GSX-R600. Now that I work at one place and spend about $60 a week on gas with my truck.. this would do me quite well.

I've always loved the crotch rocket style motorcycle.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7...12435913go.jpg

Go for a Pegaso - not the fastest bike in the world, but great fun to flick around corners and the height makes it great for commuting through traffic (as you can see a decent distance ahead of you and anticipate jams).

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/aprilia_pegaso_strada.shtml

I still miss mine - no way I'd get a bike in florida though, too darn hot ...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #45
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post

My sisters always loved that 'cruiser/custom' style of bike but for me its always felt a little too much like riding a sofa ... very comfortable and civilised, which wasn't really why I enjoyed biking.

For me I love SuperMoto bikes, you get the buzz of cornering hard like on a racer but the height and visual advantage of a MotoX bike in traffic ... oh and they look cool as f**k too

I blame it on this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...&ct=image&cd=3

When I was a kid, one of the local bike shops had one in which had the full Paris Dakar gear on it, weird instruments the lot ..... never did get to ride it, but it was huge and cool

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-09-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #46
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Here's my Ducati.

Mmmmmmm, Bikini Car Wash Company.....
Old 04-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #47
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

Let me know how you are liking it.

At 26 I have finally decided to jump in and get the thing that I have always wanted. After reading, looking, and talking to several people Ive also decided on the Yamaha R6 line, or the R6S Raven to be exact. It looks like it will run me around $7100 for a new 08 and I will most likely grab it within the next 2 weeks. Cant wait to get my hands on it.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #48
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Never ridden a bike before, but it's becoming an itch I want to scratch. Maybe when I'm done paying off the 'stang, I'll get a bike and inevitibly kill myself.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #49
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

sigh...just please be careful everyone.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #50
JS19
College Prospect

Rich....Well I def. love the bike. I had an '04 Honda CBR, which I loved the way it looked and all, and had a blast with it, I just wasn't all too thrilled on how it handled. I jumped on my buddies R1 and it was like a whole new world for me, not bc it was a 1000 and I was on a 600, but just the way it handled, so I decided my next bike would be a Yamaha. I haven't been able to ride too much bc of bad weather and whatnot, but I def. like the way it handles. Also, this R6 has much more power than I'm used to so it's probably gonna take me a good week or 2 to get the feel for it, then i'll really be able to open it up and get on it and get a solid feel for how the bike performs. From my past experiences on the R1 and my brief time on my R6 I def. recommend going with the Yamaha and you should not be disappointed at all.