Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Fall Television Schedules Announced

Starting Off with NBC.

NBC fall schedule: Possible farewell movies for 'Law & Order' and 'Heroes' | EW.com

NBC fall schedule: Possible farewell movies for 'Law & Order' and 'Heroes'
by Lynette Rice
Categories: Fall 2010 Development, News, TV Biz, TV Pilots, Television

Encouraging news (somewhat) for disappointed fans of the canceled Law & Order and Heroes: NBC will talk to the creators about producing either a two-hour movie or some kind of event to give the shows closure next season (unfortunately, there are no air dates yet). And though Parks & Recreation didn’t make the cut on Thursdays this fall – NBC chose instead to launch the new half-hour Outsourced at 9:30 to lead into the hour-long comedy Love Bites – NBC promised that Amy Poehler’s laugher will not only return by midseason but possibly earn the 9:30 p.m. berth behind The Office.

“It was our toughest decision to make,” NBC/Universal TV Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin told reporters Sunday in anticipation of the network’s upfront presentation Monday in New York. “But to get new comedies on our schedule, Thursday is still the best place to launch. We expect Parks and Recreation to be back on the schedule Thursday and it’s not any way an indication that we don’t think it’s as good as any other comedy. We’ve learned from cable that you can wait as long as a year, create more anticipation and not lose any momentum.”

NBC will unveil five new comedies, seven new drama series and one new reality program for the 2010-11 season to advertisers on Monday. The network hopes to convey a message of consistency – at least when it comes to the common theme of its shows. “I think there is a realism that is consistent throughout all of our dramas,” explains Angela Bromstad, NBC’s primetime entertainment president. “If you are going to do a law franchise, you have to find a way to make it different. With Kathy Bates and David E. Kelley’s dialogue (in Harry’s Law), we’ll have a distinct provocative character like Hugh Laurie as House. It will be the same with Outlaw with Jimmy Smits. Chase is very much a straight ahead procedural but with an adrenaline rush. We tried to be as broad as possible but at same time a little more distinctive.”

Bromstad didn’t reveal too much about the back and forth discussions she had with uber-producer Dick Wolf about airing another season of Law & Order, other than to say everyone “knew the mother ship was coming to an end at some point. Ultimately it was our decision. We felt it was time to move forward and reinvent the brand.” As for launching a Los Angeles version this fall, Bromstad stressed the importance of keeping the brand name in the title – however unoriginal it may sound to critics. “It’s the most successful franchise in the history of TV,” she insisted. “In this cluttered environment, it’s to our advantage to keep.”

As for picking up another season of the low-rated Chuck, Bromstad explained that “it came as a wild card. It performed solidly for us. We can’t change every hour of the schedule at once, so we were looking for stability and it was a good companion for The Event.”

Finally, Bromstad said the network’s much-ballyhooed remake of The Rockford Files will go back to the drawing board for a possible debut later this year or in fall 2011. But Beach Lane, the Matthew Broderick starrer about a millionaire (Patton Oswalt) who hires a celebrity author (Broderick) to help his struggling newspaper in the Hamptons, didn’t make the cut for fall. And remember Day One – the apocalyptic drama developed by Heroes’ Jesse Alexander? Yeah, it’ll never see the light of day. There was talk of burning it off as a movie but even that plan is dead now. Here’s the official fall schedule:

MONDAY
8-9 p.m. Chuck
9-10 p.m. The Event
10-11 p.m. Chase

TUESDAY
8-10 p.m. The Biggest Loser
10-11 p.m. Parenthood

WEDNESDAY
8-9 p.m. Undercovers
9-10 p.m. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
10-11 p.m. L&O: Los Angeles

THURSDAY
8- 8:30 p.m. Community
8:30-9 p.m. 30 Rock
9-9:30 p.m. The Office
9:30-10 p.m. Outsourced
10-11 p.m. Love Bites

FRIDAY
8-9 p.m. Who Do You Think You Are?/School Pride
9-10 p.m. Dateline NBC
10-11 p.m. Outlaw

SATURDAY
Reruns

SUNDAY
7- 8:15 p.m. Football Night in America
8:15-11:30 p.m. NBC Sunday Night Football

SUNDAY (beginning March 2011)
7-8 p.m. Dateline NBC
8-9 p.m. Minute to Win It
9-11 p.m. The Celebrity Apprentice

The new series The Cape, Friends With Benefits, Perfect Couples, Harry’s Law and The Paul Reiser Show will premiere later in the season along with a new version of The Apprentice, The Marriage Ref and the new series America’s Next Great Restaurant starring celebrity chef/restaurateur Bobby Flay.

New shows:

"The Event" is an action drama, with Jason Ritter as a guy who stumbles onto a huge government cover-up. Blair Underwood costars as the U.S. President.

"Chase" is yet another Jerry Bruckheimer production, this one about U.S. marshals hunting down fugitives. "Chase," oddly enough, will probably go head-to-head with Bruckheimer's "CSI: Miami"
on CBS.

"Undercovers" is the new J.J. Abrams series, in which married ex-CIA agents who run a catering company are pulled back into spying after a friend goes missing. This sounds a little like Abrams' "Alias," putting characters in between ordinary lives and the action-adventure of spy work.

"Law & Order: Los Angeles" needs no introduction. If it succeeds, expect fans to call it simply LOLA.

"Outsourced" is a sitcom about an American novelties company whose call center has been outsourced to India.

"Love Bites" is a romantic comedy anthology series, which sounds dangerously like "Love American Style." It's from "Sex and the City" writer-producer Cindy Chupack.

"School Pride" is an inspirational reality show about communities rebuilding schools.

"Outlaw" stars Jimmy Smits as a Supreme Court justice who returns to private practice. Strangely, ex-NBC-er Conan O'Brien happens to be one of the show?s executive producers.

Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Heroes was canceled? Yikes
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I never watched it but Chuck is back? I thought it was almost guaranteed to be finished after last year?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Heroes was canceled? Yikes

That show lost its way. It was a disaster the last season or two. They had a great formula and then just dumped it on its head.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I never watched it but Chuck is back? I thought it was almost guaranteed to be finished after last year?

SI

They owe Jay Leno big time.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
NewIdentity
High School JV

I thought Jillian, from the biggest loser, was geting her own show?

I've seen it advertised, I can't imagine it not being on NBC.

Over at ABC, I have heard that "V" is on the bubble right now because of high production costs, and low rating. What a screw up of a debut to a series that has been. Who's birght idea was it to have the show go 4 weeks on, then 6 weeks off, then the 5th show, which was actually a highlight show that featured clips from the first 4 episodes. I swear the big networks seem to go of their way to kill off science fiction shows as quickly as possible.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 05-17-2010 at 07:26 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
I thought Jillian, from the biggest loser, was geting her own show?

I've seen it advertised, I can't imagine it not being on NBC.

It's running during the summer, not fall. Starting in June I think.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
It's running during the summer, not fall. Starting in June I think.

Yep. They're having a new Last Comic Standing as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

I will be kind of bummed if V gets the axe. It started off slow, but I have been enjoying it since it got back to a regular schedule.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

V was renewed several days ago.

“V” Renewed by ABC - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com
Old 05-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Here is the Fox Fall and Midseason Lineup

Radio Business Report/Television Business Report - Voice of the Broadcasting Industry

FOX unveils primetime slate for 2010-2011 season; midseason
2010-05-17 08:17:00
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

Peter Rice, Chairman, Entertainment, Fox Networks Group; and Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company, will unveil the FOX primetime schedule for the 2010-2011 television season to the ad community during its annual upfront at The New Beacon Theatre in NYC. Shari Anne Brill, Industry Analyst and former SVP/Director of Programming and Strategic Audience Analysis for Carat, is attending the FOX upfront and will be exclusively reporting on it for RBR-TVBR.

GLEE, the No. 1 new series of this season among Adults 18-49 and key demos, returns for its sophomore season to anchor a new Tuesday comedy block. Premiering this fall is RAISING HOPE, the new family comedy from Emmy Award winner Greg Garcia (“My Name Is Earl”), starring Lucas Neff (“The Beast”), Martha Plimpton (“How To Make It In America”), Garret Dillahunt (“Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles”) and Academy and Emmy Award winner Cloris Leachman (“Malcolm In The Middle”). The sweet, offbeat comedy follows Jimmy Chance (Neff), a well-meaning screw-up trying his best to raise his infant daughter with the help of the eccentric family who did a less-than-stellar job of raising him.

Also debuting this fall is RUNNING WILDE, the new romantic comedy from “Arrested Development’s” Jim Vallely, Mitch Hurwitz and Will Arnett. Starring Arnett (“30 Rock”) and Keri Russell (“Waitress,” “Felicity”), the comedy centers on a lovable, but immature playboy (Arnett) trying desperately to win (or buy) the heart of his childhood sweetheart (Russell), the über-liberal humanitarian who got away.

LONESTAR, a sophisticated and provocative drama set against the sprawling backdrop of big Texas oil, will premiere this fall. From Chris Keyser and Amy Lippman (“Party of Five”), writer Kyle Killen and directed by Marc Webb (“(500) Days of Summer”), the compelling series stars newcomer James Wolk as a charismatic and brilliant schemer who has entangled himself in a deep, complex web from which he can’t break free. He’s caught between two very different lives and two very different women.

TERRA NOVA, an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making, is the new event drama slated for midseason from executive producers Steven Spielberg (“Jurassic Park,” “The Pacific”), Peter Chernin, Brannon Braga (24, “Star Trek: Enterprise”) and David Fury (24, “Lost”). The action-adventure series follows an ordinary family on an extraordinary journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a part of a massive expedition to save the human race.

Joining the Sunday ANIMATION DOMINATION lineup in midseason is BOB’S BURGERS, a new animated comedy series from creator Loren Bouchard (“Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist”) about a man, his family and their floundering burger joint. Despite the greasy counters, lousy location and occasionally spotty service, Bob and his lovable and quirky family are convinced their burgers are their ticket to success.

The new drama scheduled for a midseason debut is RIDE-ALONG. From creator Shawn Ryan (“The Shield,” “The Unit”), the fast-paced series, shot on location in Chicago and starring Jason Clarke (“Public Enemies”), Jennifer Beals (LIE TO ME) and Delroy Lindo (“Kidnapped”), will take audiences on an unflinching and unpredictable ride through the streets of Chicago to navigate crime and corruption with the most respected – and notorious – cops in the city.

MIXED SIGNALS, scheduled for a spring premiere, is a new relationship comedy created by Bob Fisher (“Wedding Crashers”) about three longtime friends and their attempts to balance their committed relationships with their desire for freedom. The ensemble comedy stars Nelson Franklin (“I Love You, Man”), David Denman (“The Office”), Kris Marshall (HUMAN TARGET), Liza Lapira (“Dexter”) and Alexandra Breckenridge (FAMILY GUY) and reveals how friendships and romances enhance – and further complicate – the lives of men and the women who love them.

It was also announced that a very special GLEE will air following SUPER BOWL XLV on Sunday, February 6. GLEE, the most award-winning series of the year, will then make its spring premiere Wednesdays following AMERICAN IDOL.

Other FOX series returning in 2010-2011 include: AMERICAN DAD (Season 6), AMERICAN IDOL (Season 10) AMERICA’S MOST WANTED (Season 24), BONES (Season 6), THE CLEVELAND SHOW (Season 2), COPS (Season 23), FAMILY GUY (Season 8), FRINGE (Season 3), THE GOOD GUYS (Season 1), HELL’S KITCHEN (Seasons 7 and 8), HOUSE (Season 7), HUMAN TARGET (Season 2), KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (Season 3), LIE TO ME (Season 3), THE SIMPSONS (Season 22) and SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (Season 7). Specials returning to the FOX schedule include NEW YEAR’S EVE LIVE and TEEN CHOICE 2010.

“FOX has been the No. 1 network for six consecutive seasons not only because our programs are hits, but also because they’re the most engaging shows on television,” said Rice. “We’re very excited to add a full slate of creative, original new series next season that will help us continue to capture imaginations and draw people back to FOX week after week.”

“Last season, we did what FOX does best: we took some risks that paid off. Now we’re going to up the ante with an even more diverse and creative roster of programs for next year,” said Reilly. “With three daring new dramas, a fresh new animated series and three new live-action comedies, we’re positioned to rebuild the FOX comedy brand, introduce the next generation of unique characters and deliver an even more compelling experience for our viewers next season.”

FOX FALL 2010 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE
(All Times ET/PT)
MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM HOUSE
9:00-10:00 PM LONESTAR (new)

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM GLEE
9:00-9:30 PM RAISING HOPE (new)
9:30-10:00 PM RUNNING WILDE (new)

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM LIE TO ME
9:00-10:00 PM HELL’S KITCHEN

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM BONES
9:00-10:00 PM FRINGE

FRIDAY
8:00-9:00 PM HUMAN TARGET
9:00-10:00 PM THE GOOD GUYS

SATURDAY
8:00-8:30 PM COPS
8:30-9:00 PM COPS
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA’S MOST WANTED

SUNDAY
7:00-8:00 PM THE OT (NFL post-game)
8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 PM THE CLEVELAND SHOW
9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY
9:30-10:00 PM AMERICAN DAD

FOX MIDSEASON 2011 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE
MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM HOUSE
9:00-10:00 PM LONESTAR (new) / RIDE-ALONG (new)

TUESDAY
8:00-9:30 PM AMERICAN IDOL Performance Show
9:30-10:00 PM RUNNING WILDE (new) / MIXED SIGNALS (new; spring)

WEDNESDAY
8:00-8:30 PM RAISING HOPE (new)
8:30-9:00 PM AMERICAN IDOL Results Show
9:00-10:00 PM GLEE

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM BONES
9:00-10:00 PM FRINGE

FRIDAY
9:00-10:00 PM KITCHEN NIGHTMARES

SATURDAY
8:00-8:30 PM COPS
8:30-9:00 PM COPS
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA’S MOST WANTED

SUNDAY
7:00-7:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (encores)
7:30-8:00 PM AMERICAN DAD
8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS
8:30-9:00 PM BOB’S BURGERS (new)
9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY
9:30-10:00 PM THE CLEVELAND SHOW
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm down with Terra Nova - although knowing FOX and SciFi I bet it gets...less than 6 episodes.

And I agree with what others said about "V" -- the show has been good, but the "on then off" scheduling of it has no doubt fucked it up.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
"Outsourced" is a sitcom about an American novelties company whose call center has been outsourced to India.

A series whose time has come... 15 years ago.

Quote:
"Love Bites" is a romantic comedy anthology series, which sounds dangerously like "Love American Style." It's from "Sex and the City" writer-producer Cindy Chupack.

No opinion on the show, but I like the Def Leppard song.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also debuting this fall is RUNNING WILDE, the new romantic comedy from “Arrested Development’s” Jim Vallely, Mitch Hurwitz and Will Arnett. Starring Arnett (“30 Rock”) and Keri Russell (“Waitress,” “Felicity”), the comedy centers on a lovable, but immature playboy (Arnett) trying desperately to win (or buy) the heart of his childhood sweetheart (Russell), the über-liberal humanitarian who got away.

Woot! Arrested Development type humor back on TV! Hopefully this one lasts more then 2.5 seasons!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The last Hurwitz-Arnett project (Sit Down, Shut Up) was an abortion, so hopefully this one is better.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The Event sounds promising... I hope they're able to deliver.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Tasan
College Starter

Well, its pretty obvious Fox is trying to kill one of my new favorite shows, Human Target. They put it in the Friday night hell spot, after it had Wednesday night all last season. Fox, why can you be consistent with shows from one season to the next???
Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Sepinwall is live-tweeting the upfronts and called the trailer for this "woefully unfunny."

http://twitter.com/sepinwall/statuses/14168342538
Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #19
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Well, its pretty obvious Fox is trying to kill one of my new favorite shows, Human Target. They put it in the Friday night hell spot, after it had Wednesday night all last season. Fox, why can you be consistent with shows from one season to the next???

To be fair, it was only on before American Idol, not the whole season. They tend to give new shows a shot before/after Idol, then let them fend for themselves. Not sure where else they'd put it. House seems like a good pairing, but they have to use it to launch new shows. Behind Glee makes no sense, since that has to launch a new show. Wednesday paired with Lie to Me makes sense, but then they'd have to throw Hell's Kitchen to Friday, which probably makes more money due to its low production cost, so no point killing that one. Then Thursday is set with Bones/Fringe.

Ideally, I'd like House and Bones paired, then Fringe/Human Target.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

Lonestar looks interesting, as does Ride Along and Mixed Signals. And I love Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares.

NBC's lineup looks awful.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Sepinwall is live-tweeting the upfronts and called the trailer for this "woefully unfunny."

http://twitter.com/sepinwall/statuses/14168342538

At no point did I feel like this was a humorous premise. This seems like something the CW or some nothing cable network would make.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
HUMAN TARGET (Season 2)
YES!
Quote:
FRIDAY
Ouch.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

The Undercovers sounds interesting.

Fox also looks to have a couple shows I'm really interested in seeing. Problem is that they like to cancel shows within a few episodes so I'm not sure if I want to dedicate myself to them yet. Especially considering the fact they look sophisticated and the average television viewer is borderline retarded. I'm talking about Terra Nova and Lonestar.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm down with Terra Nova - although knowing FOX and SciFi I bet it gets...less than 6 episodes.

Looking at that premise, it's doomed to fail. I dunno- I've just given up on the general American public to give anything close to real sci-fi a chance. It has to be fairly grounded in reality (X-Files tried to take place in the "real world", Lost was a lifeboat survival drama before swapping out for hardcore scifi and religious allegory late in the show, Terminator never had a chance, Heroes was a comic book story, Fringe looks like- well it wants to be the X-Files, etc) or else it's not going to fly. This has no chance on Fox or any other network.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm just hoping it looks decent and gets picked up by like SciFi network or something.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm just hoping it looks decent and gets picked up by like SciFi network or something.

You mean SyFy? The network that barely shows science fiction anymore?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

I think he meant SyFy, the network that's got more viewers than ever & is actually able to sell a decent amount of advertising now.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think he meant SyFy, the network that's got more viewers than ever & is actually able to sell a decent amount of advertising now.

Touche. I guess the rebranding may have helped them out...now to see what it does for Comcast/Xfinity.

/tk
Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

/tk

Truly a sad situation, indeed.

I really like Human Target. Chi McBride has been a favorite of mine since his days as the janitor with John LaRoquette. Mark Valley is perfect in this role. He has always gotten the short end of the stick, it seems to me. I loved KEEN EDDIE.

Friday nights doesn't bother me becasue because I record everything but sports. Does live TV watching actually exist in this country anymore? For anything other than those lame 'reality' turd piles?

I had CHUCK season 2 in my hands at Target on Sunday, but put it back as it seemed iffy for season 4. Now I can go back and get it. My newly minted son-in-law loaned us the season 1 DVD and we watched this season, so with there being a 4, seems we can invest the time and money in 2.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 05-18-2010 at 07:18 AM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #30
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post

Truly a sad situation, indeed.

I really like Human Target. Chi McBride has been a favorite of mine since his days as the janitor with John LaRoquette. Mark Valley is perfect in this role. He has always gotten the short end of the stick, it seems to me. I loved KEEN EDDIE.

Friday nights doesn't bother me becasue because I record everything but sports. Does live TV watching actually exist in this country anymore? For anything other than those lame 'reality' turd piles?

I had CHUCK season 2 in my hands at Target on Sunday, but put it back as it seemed iffy for season 4. Now I can go back and get it. My newly minted son-in-law loaned us the season 1 DVD and we watched this season, so with there being a 4, seems we can invest the time and money in 2.

The only show I watch live is Lost. Aside from sports/events, I can't believe how much my TV watching has changed even in the last 2 years... but I guess that's what having a kid will do.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
now to see what it does for Comcast/Xfinity.

Nothing is going to help Comcrap.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does live TV watching actually exist in this country anymore? For anything other than those lame 'reality' turd piles?

In the most recent report, it exists for "only" more than 75% of the country's viewing.

Quote:
Through Jan. 10, time-shifted viewing among 18-49 viewers was at 11% of all viewing in observing live program-plus-same-day ratings versus live-only; and 23% when looking at live plus seven days versus live. This is up from 7% for live-plus-same-day and 16% for live-plus-seven-day of a year ago.
MediaPost Publications C3 Ratings Pay Off For Marketers 04/21/2010

But that's to be expected, considering still less than 1/3rd of US households even have DVR's. It's a common trap you're falling into really, forgetting that your habits, and even those of your friends, are not necessarily representative of the majority of the country.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:

I don't get it. Season 2 is over and done with. They're never going to make another season 2. Either it's worth watching or not. I fail to see what difference its renewal or non-renewal has to do with it.

Quote:
But that's to be expected, considering still less than 1/3rd of US households even have DVR's. It's a common trap you're falling into really, forgetting that your habits, and even those of your friends, are not necessarily representative of the majority of the country.

Thanks for the reminder in reverse. I don't have a DVR and am surprised that anything close to 1/3 of households have one. I swear that two years ago the number was under 10%.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
Thanks for the reminder in reverse. I don't have a DVR and am surprised that anything close to 1/3 of households have one. I swear that two years ago the number was under 10%.

I think 2 yrs ago it was around 17%-21% (but that's totally off the top of my head here).

Also notable, the numbers out there lately talk more about total hours of viewing rather than unique viewers, meaning that the 23% of Live+7 viewing being DVR is skewing because of heavier use among that DVR HH. The actual number of people who actually use their DVR each week is not only lower than the 30% mark but also lower than the 23% mark.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #35
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
I don't get it. Season 2 is over and done with. They're never going to make another season 2. Either it's worth watching or not. I fail to see what difference its renewal or non-renewal has to do with it.

I get it. Sometimes you don't want to get invested in a show that's not going to have an 'ending'. With another season in the works, you get closer to the possibility that the show will conclude with all the answers.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #36
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
I think 2 yrs ago it was around 17%-21% (but that's totally off the top of my head here).

You're very close. It was around 20%, depending on exactly what month.

It was near 10% four years ago. Time flies when you're having fun, eh?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #37
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think what makes me shake my head about Heroes being done is seeing what NBC is putting out as some of their new shows. As much of sinking ship that it was, some of the new stuff looks horrid for even the minor clips I have seen.

+1 on Human Target being back and screwed by Fox with being put on Friday. I'm amazed Fox does as well as it does based on it's decisions.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #38
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I think what makes me shake my head about Heroes being done is seeing what NBC is putting out as some of their new shows. As much of sinking ship that it was, some of the new stuff looks horrid for even the minor clips I have seen.

Yeah, the NBC schedule has only two shows that I'll watch regularly and 2 new shows that I'll give a chance at least. It looks like NBC is going to be joining ABC as channels I almost hardly ever watch.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #39
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Here is ABC

ABC announces fall 2010 schedule | EW.com

ABC announces fall 2010 schedule

ABC released its fall 2010 schedule in anticipation of its presentation to advertisers this afternoon in New York. New series for the 2010-11 season are Better Together, Body of Proof, Detroit 1-8-7, Happy Endings, Mr. Sunshine, My Generation, No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, Secret Millionaire, and The Whole Truth. ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson told EW that V will be back midseason in the Dancing with the Stars Results Show slot, behind the network’s other high-concept show No Ordinary Family.

“It was a Sophie’s Choice,” McPherson said about his decision to renew V and cancel FlashForward. “In the end, FlashForward didn’t engage audiences like we hoped. For V, I get more anecdotal calls and emails than any other show on the schedule. A huge part of rebuilding the network is about taking chances. Some shows just don’t work out.”

MONDAY
8:00 p.m. Dancing with the Stars
10:00 p.m. Castle

TUESDAY
8:00 p.m. No Ordinary Family
9:00 p.m. Dancing with the Stars the Results Show
10:00 p.m. Detroit 1-8-7

WEDNESDAY
8:00 p.m. The Middle
8:30 p.m. Better Together
9:00 p.m. Modern Family
9:30 p.m. Cougar Town
10:00 p.m. The Whole Truth

THURSDAY
8:00 p.m. My Generation
9:00 p.m. Grey’s Anatomy
10:00 p.m. Private Practice

FRIDAY
8:00 p.m. Secret Millionaire
9:00 p.m. Body of Proof
10:00 p.m. 20/20

SATURDAY
8:00 p.m. Saturday Night College Football

SUNDAY
7:00 p.m. America’s Funniest Home Videos
8:00 p.m. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
9:00 p.m. Desperate Housewives
10:00 p.m. Brothers & Sisters

Descriptions of the dramas:

Body of Proof Stars Dana Delany as a medical examiner, determined to solve the puzzle of who or what killed the victims of an accident that ended her career as a neurosurgeon.

Detroit 1-8-7 stars Michael Imperioli in this drama offering an insider’s glimpse of Detroit Police’s Homicide Unit.

My Generation A documentary-style dramedy about a disparate group of high schoolers from Greenbelt High School in Austin, Tex. preparing for graduation, then revisited 10 years later.

No Ordinary Family Michael Chiklis stars as the patriarch of a family that goes from ordinary to extraordinary.

Off the Map From executive producers Shonda Rhimes and creator Jenna Bans, this drama focuses a tiny town in the South American jungle which has one understaffed, under-stocked medical clinic.

The Whole Truth Rob Morrow stars in this legal drama that tells story from perspective of both the defense and prosecution.

Comedies:

Better Together A marriage comedy that stars JoAnna Garcia.

Happy Endings Elisha Cuthbert stars in this series about how a couple’s break-up will complicate all of their friends’ lives and make everyone question their choices.

Mr. Sunshine Matthew Perry stars as Ben Donovan, the self-involved manager of a second-rate San Diego sports arena who begins to re-evaluate his life on his 40th birthday.

Alternative series

Secret Millionaire A one-hour alternative series that follows some of America’s wealthiest people for one week as they leave behind their lavish lifestyles, sprawling mansions and luxury jets, conceal their true identities, and go to live and volunteer in some of the most impoverished and dangerous communities in America.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #40
rowech
Pro Starter

Here's to hoping Michael Imperoli doesn't get screwed on another show. Loved his character on Life on Mars.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #41
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

preview for The Cape just showed up at Preview: The Cape May Not Be As Bad As You Imagined « Spinoff Online – Covering TV, Film and Entertainment News Daily

I'm looking forward to it...

FM
Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #42
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and with Summer Glau too

FM
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #43
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

And so far, we see why I don't watch much TV anymore (and rarely watch the regular broadcast stuff).

None of the new stuff sounds interesting, and neither does a lot of the old...
Still be watching:
The Office (gotten seriously MEH lately)
30 Rock
HIMYM
Big Bang Theory
Family Guy (sometimes)
NCIS (the original one, and only the occasional episode)

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 05-18-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #44
Passacaglia
Coordinator

A show with theories about Big Band music sounds more interesting than the current version.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #45
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
A show with theories about Big Band music sounds more interesting than the current version.

Hahah. And thanks for the catch of the typo.

/tk
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Looking at that premise, it's doomed to fail. I dunno- I've just given up on the general American public to give anything close to real sci-fi a chance. It has to be fairly grounded in reality (X-Files tried to take place in the "real world", Lost was a lifeboat survival drama before swapping out for hardcore scifi and religious allegory late in the show, Terminator never had a chance, Heroes was a comic book story, Fringe looks like- well it wants to be the X-Files, etc) or else it's not going to fly. This has no chance on Fox or any other network.

SI
The only thing that it has going for it is Spielberg who is behind it. I would hope they give it a full season and perhaps it's a show that hangs on with marginal ratings like Fringe based on the people behind it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #47
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
You must be wearing some serious rose colored glasses. When you put the SyFy channel up against USA, TNT, or FX they are getting killed in the ratings with original programming.

Both of this years big shows for the SyFy channel, Caprica and Stargate were huge failures, are either one of those shows even returning next year?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #48
NewIdentity
High School JV

I guess I will answer my own question with a 2 month old story.
Quote:
Syfy Announces New Programming For 2010-2011

by Matt Raub, Mar 19 2010 // 7:00 AM

Earlier this week at New York City’s Museum of Modern Art, Syfy held its annual Upfront event in which they previewed some of their exciting programming for the upcoming seasons. Some of the news that our favorite shows such as Caprica, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Stargate Universe, and Eureka would be returning was received with open arms.
Meanwhile, the channel that dubs itself as the leading network for the imagination announced nearly a dozen new series to start in the coming year. Shows that range from original scripted television to a new take on reality TV, each of the new programs should fit right into the “Imagine Greater” theme over at Syfy.
Check out the complete list of the new and upcoming programming coming to Syfy after the jump, and be sure to keep it here for any and all information about these titles as they come to us!
New Original Programming
Three Inches – Walter yearns to be special, but really isn’t…until he’s struck by lightning and is bestowed with the gift of telekinesis. Three Inches follows the misadventures of Walter and the two father figures who have come into his life since discovering his powers.
Alphas – Superpowers come with a price in a new original series that explores the secret side of being extraordinary. Set For Fall of 2011.
Merlin – Camelot’s infamous sorcerer gets a new twist in a Syfy re-imagining of the classic Arthurian legend. Set for Spring of 2011.
Being Human – What do a vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost have in common? An apartment. The hit series from the UK has now been re-imagined as a highly anticipated Syfy Original. Set for Winter of 2011.
Haven – Based on the Stephen King novel “The Colorado Kid,” Haven follows FBI Agent Audrey Parker as she unravels the mysteries of an idyllic seaside village known for its unexplainable ability to cure paranormal afflictions. Set for Fall of 2011.
New Reality Series
Quantum Kitchen – Marcel Vigneron (Top Chef Season 2 finalist) creates mind-blowing molecular gastronomic menus that get bigger, better and more explosive with every episode and with each new job.
Mary Knows Best – A fun, character driven docu-soap starring the controversial Sirius radio psychic and Long Island mom Mary Occhino and her family. Set for Summer of 2011.
Paranormal Investigators – A TMZ vibe on the latest, hottest and most confounding reports of strange activities across the globe with a team of paranormal enthusiasts trying to get to the bottom of it all. Spring of 2011.
New Miniseries Events
Neverland – In the vein of Alice and Tin Man, Syfy re-imagines Peter Pan’s Neverland and how it came to be. 2-night event set for later this fall.

I myself was hoping that Legend of the Seeker would find its way to the SyFy channel next year, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 05-18-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #49
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Cape looks pretty good.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
You must be wearing some serious rose colored glasses. When you put the SyFy channel up against USA, TNT, or FX they are getting killed in the ratings with original programming.

Then again, so is most every other cable network compared to USA & TNT. FX, not so much anymore. They're now down to 11th in total viewers & slipped to 6th 18-49, trailing A&E and narrowly holding off History.

Quote:
Both of this years big shows for the SyFy channel, Caprica and Stargate were huge failures, are either one of those shows even returning next year?

Both of which are science fiction, which was kind of my point. Currently they have a cooking show in development (and no, I didn't make that up*edit to add, I now see that it's in that list above actually).

My comment was in reference to them being #17 in total viewers/#16 in 18-49 for Q1 '10, as opposed to their origins as a science fiction only network when they'd have killed to crack the top 30.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote