Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Last minute trip to San Francisco, don't mind if I do!

Wife and I decided to leave our son with Grandparents this weekend and take a short trip to San Fran. We are going to do an all day wine country tour Saturday then probably go to the Giants game Sunday. A few questions.

We are staying in Union Square, any good restaurant recommendations? We aren't looking to go super romantic, maybe upscale casual?

Any good bars near the stadium we could grab a beer at before the game?

We aren't going to try to cram in to much, so Alcatraz, etc.. is out. My wife would like to go to some form of outdoor market Sunday morning, any suggestions?

Also, we are likely going to take a cab from the airport, any idea how much that may be? There is a shuttle, but I am not a fan because you can wait forever while it makes other stops.

Thanks in advance!

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Stop by and say hello to my aunt:

PK Sonoma Homepage - Creative Designs for Living

Not only can she hook your wife up with some lavender products, but based on all the times I visited her, she can probably hook you up with other herbs as well...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
AnalBumCover
College Starter

If I remember, a cab ride from SFO to around Union Square cost me about $40. You can also consider BART.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There are tons of outdoor markets in Chinatown. A cab from the airport will likely be in the $40 range. BART isn't a bad option. I think it is 3 or 4 stops from the SFO station to Union Square. It has been a while since I was back there, but I remember a great Italian place between Union Square and Embarcadero. In any event, there are tons of places to eat in the area, your hotel concierge can point you to a number of spots.

edit: Oops, left the window open before posting. ABC covered the transportation options.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 09-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Expensive, but, one hell of a view (well, when there's no fog) is Top of the Mark. I recommend reservations or you probably won't get seated. They have an awesome brunch buffet, but, it is pricey.

If you want a good breakfast Saturday morning on your way to the wine country, stop in my neighborhood (Sausalito) and go to Fred's Cafe on Bridgeway. If you like french toast and you aren't worried about counting calories, I highly, highly recommend the deep fried french toast. If you go, ask for Tien (sounds like tee-in)and tell him Brian sent you. Not sure if you will be able to get seated right away, but, he's the best server there. As a matter of fact, I can even meet you guys there if it's early enough. However, if you want a romantic weekend with just the two of you, I totally understand.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

21st Amendment is within walking distance of the stadium.

There are also a couple of bars immediately around the stadium.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We enjoyed walking around Fisherman's Market while in town if you're looking for an outdoor option. Also, the Cliff House has a fantastic champagne buffet on Sundays. Great view of the ocean and surfers. We hit it every time we go out there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Expensive, but, one hell of a view (well, when there's no fog) is Top of the Mark. I recommend reservations or you probably won't get seated. They have an awesome brunch buffet, but, it is pricey.

If you want a good breakfast Saturday morning on your way to the wine country, stop in my neighborhood (Sausalito) and go to Fred's Cafe on Bridgeway. If you like french toast and you aren't worried about counting calories, I highly, highly recommend the deep fried french toast. If you go, ask for Tien (sounds like tee-in)and tell him Brian sent you. Not sure if you will be able to get seated right away, but, he's the best server there. As a matter of fact, I can even meet you guys there if it's early enough. However, if you want a romantic weekend with just the two of you, I totally understand.

haha, thanks for the info and the offer. We are taking a shuttle trip to wine country that leaves at 8:15 from the Ferry Wharf so we will likely do room service.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- thanks for all the feedback, FOFC delivers yet again!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
haha, thanks for the info and the offer. We are taking a shuttle trip to wine country that leaves at 8:15 from the Ferry Wharf so we will likely do room service.

You're welcome. Well dang. Wave at me as the shuttle bus passes Sausalito.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, San Francisco is a city I'd want to take my time in, if at all possible. The evening program at Alcatraz was one of best National Park experiences I've had as they had a lot of historical programs you could do after the audio tour and an absolutely gorgeous nighttime view of the city. Muir Woods was my favorite experience of anywhere I visited- we hiked around there for about 4 hours, tho it's about 30 minutes north of San Francisco across the Golden Gate bridge. We did one of those one day bus tours around town which was neat because of all the different neighborhoods. I liked seeing the seals off of Pier 39, eating dessert (twice) and doing lots of Christmas shopping at Ghirardelli Square, climbing up to the Coit tower to get a good view of the city, doing a little shopping and eating in Chinatown, and walking along The Embarcadero, getting a great view before getting into some amazing sourdough.

It might have been my favorite city to visit (well, probably 2nd, as it's hard to top DC for raw amount and variety of things to do) and I felt we shortchanged ourselves with only 4 days in San Fran and a day down in Monterrey.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-01-2011 at 07:24 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Kuleto's is the Italian Place between Union Square and Embarcadero (I'm assuming). Just went there the other night (Tues?). It was good, but nothing mind-blowing, particularly probably for a Jersey guy like you.

Top of the Mark is amazing as far as the views go. Just sit at the bar and get a drink - no need to order food.

Man, we're like totally crossing paths this week Lathum - have fun in SF!!

Go to Stacks (501 Hayes Street) for breakfast. It's an institution.

Whereabouts in Union Square area are you staying? I just stayed there earlier this week - be amusing if you're staying somewhere I have stayed in the past.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-01-2011 at 11:39 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Kuleto's is the Italian Place between Union Square and Embarcadero (I'm assuming). Just went there the other night (Tues?). It was good, but nothing mind-blowing, particularly probably for a Jersey guy like you.

Just remembered the name of the place. Not Kuleto's, but Palomino. It is closer to the Bay Bridge. But after I looked them up, they have a few of them across the US, including Seattle. So not a good reason to visit, when there are tons of other local places to checkout.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

When I was down there early this year for GDC I was directed to a place called "Foreign Cinema" which is on Mission St. a short cab ride north of where you're staying. Very good food with a rotating menu and a nice outdoor atrium in the back where they show movies on the wall.

Tends to get booked up, so if you want to go, I'd suggest calling early for reservations. On the higher end price-wise but not outrageously so, casual attire is fine. Highly recommended - I hit it up twice in the 3 nights I was there.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, I've been back to SF a couple time for conferences and have walked from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf and back (follow the cable car tracks).

Lots of hills but something you and wife may enjoy, taking time to walk together and take pictures. Not really alot of stores on the way (except for China town) and wear sneakers.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What is the dress like at Top of the Mark? We are going pretty casual, jeans and polos are about the extent. The place looks great, I just don't want to be inappropriate.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is the dress like at Top of the Mark? We are going pretty casual, jeans and polos are about the extent. The place looks great, I just don't want to be inappropriate.

More dressy after 6PM or 8PM (depending on who you believe), but before that you should be fine with jeans and polos, especially if you just want to sit in the bar. I wouldn't go in there in sweaty tshirts and flip flops or anything though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

I hate San Fran so much. It's not really fair since I've only been there once, but I just can't help it. Worst traffic ever, getting lost downtown at night, rude, self-important people, did I mention traffic? I actually felt way more comfortable and happy while shopping at a Walmart in Oakland.

I know that I should give it another chance, but I just can't. It scarred me too much.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

With the exception of Santa Cruz, I'm not fond of NorCal or the Bay Area myself, though I see why a lot of people do enjoy it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
With the exception of Santa Cruz, I'm not fond of NorCal or the Bay Area myself, though I see why a lot of people do enjoy it.

My wife approves - She was born and raised in Santa Cruz (Scotts Valley).
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #21
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I hate San Fran so much. It's not really fair since I've only been there once, but I just can't help it. Worst traffic ever, getting lost downtown at night, rude, self-important people, did I mention traffic? I actually felt way more comfortable and happy while shopping at a Walmart in Oakland.

I know that I should give it another chance, but I just can't. It scarred me too much.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

The best part of San Francisco is that wine country is only an hour or so away.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The best part of San Francisco is that wine country is only an hour or so away.

I say hit the Healdsburg area and avoid the Napa area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks for the recs. I think we may try the Top of the Mark tomorrow night after we rest up following the wine country tour. The bar Digamma linked looks pretty cool as well, will likely head there before the game if there is time.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #25
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

When I went, I wore jeans and a short sleeve button up shirt. Dress fancy if you want, dress casual if you want.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Yup, pretty much nailed it on your one visit. You're the lucky one though, you got to leave.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Wow sf weekend, brother Bucc is in town too...

If you are going to nob hill (top of the mark) you MUST stop by the Tonga Room across the street at the Fairmont. especially if you like awesome filipino cover bands, tropical drinks, this is the place.

21st amendment is great beer and not bad food. if you are looking for a cheap but good place before the game try Red's little beer patio and hamburger spot out on a pier near the ball park.

the main farmers market is at the ferry building, but it's on saturday. however, it is still a great place to go. lots of fresh, local eateries. really good Vietnamese fusion place with great cocktails, great cheese and ,eat stands, an awesome oyster bar and best coffee in the city (blue bottle)

have fun

Last edited by AENeuman : 09-02-2011 at 01:50 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #28
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I actually felt way more comfortable and happy while shopping at a Walmart in Oakland.

wow.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote