Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #351
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Render and Galaxy-- I'll defer to you guys since you see him more often, but I'd be hard pressed to say Kaleta has a reputation as a brawler.

Shit stirrer, yes. Brawler, no. Brawler to me is someone who answers all or most challenges. The games I've seen, that isn't Kaleta. Sometimes that is smart, I've seen him bait guys. But that doesn't make him a brawler.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #352
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Render and Galaxy-- I'll defer to you guys since you see him more often, but I'd be hard pressed to say Kaleta has a reputation as a brawler.

Shit stirrer, yes. Brawler, no. Brawler to me is someone who answers all or most challenges. The games I've seen, that isn't Kaleta. Sometimes that is smart, I've seen him bait guys. But that doesn't make him a brawler.

I wouldn't call him as a brawler at all. He doesn't fight (if he has to, he's not a good fighther). Others want to fight him, and he has gotten several players to drop their gloves without him dropping his (which has drawn two players this year already to start punching him without Kaleta fighting back or dropping his gloves). He can draw at least one penalty per game). He's a guy who will try to check at any chance he gets (and he's a pretty good at delivering a big hit), get them off their game, and get under their skin (which will lead to stupid decisions by them). What makes Kaleta work is that he stays cool.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-27-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #353
Galaxy
Coordinator

Horrible, horrible call on Max in the Sabs-Sens game.

Very nice to see Buffalo getting the 2010-2011 World Jr. Championships.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-27-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #354
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

What is this, the third time in last few years the Sens have limped into Buffalo on the verge of imploding, then bitch-slapped the Sabres? The fourth?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #355
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
What is this, the third time in last few years the Sens have limped into Buffalo on the verge of imploding, then bitch-slapped the Sabres? The fourth?

I had a feeling it would be a let down game. The Sabres just didn't skate hard and win fights for the puck. No passion. We need to get Rivet back ASAP.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-27-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #356
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you think this could be the game, the spark, that Ottawa needed? Do you think they might get it turned around?

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-27-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #357
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Fun game between Boston and Edmonton, couple minutes left in OT, B's just go on the PP.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #358
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Fun game between Boston and Edmonton, couple minutes left in OT, B's just go on the PP.

Dola

And they win it!! Solid game by both goaltenders, and just a really entertaining game.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #359
Travis
Pro Rookie

The save Thomas made off of Hemsky (following a nice give and go between Hemsky and Nilsson) was stunning. Hemmer coulda/shoulda gotten that shot up more than he did, but full kudos to Thomas for absolutely robbing him there.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #360
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

It was a good game, lots of end to end action. Both teams missed scoring a few times. There were plenty of good dekes but Roloson and Thomas were phenomenal.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #361
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Drew Doughty is really, really good. Lot of potentially great young defensemen in the NHL right now, like Doughty, Schenn, Piertangelo, Bogosian, etc.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #362
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gauthier made a HORRIBLE turnover on a clearing attempt giving it right to Flippula who buried it to tie the game at 3-3 with 2 minutes to go. Games in OT now. Detroit is garaunteed the point but once again look very sloppy.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #363
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Another Wings shootout coming up. Osgood in net, he worries me in shootouts. I have no stats to back this up but I am fairly certain he hasn't been very good in them.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #364
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Osgood stops Brown on the first shot, and Datsyuk scores on a nifty little deke.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #365
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mueller goes for the Kings and basically does an identical move as Brown, getting stopped and Zetterberg wins it for Detroit with a nice deke on the backhand.

Another win that Detroit got lucky to skate away with.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #366
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hossa's goal last night was another for the highlight reel. It was a 5-on-3. Hossa got the puck just outside the blueline and then just exploded through two defense, blew right by them with an amazing burst of speed, got between the circles and blasted it over LaBarbera's glove.

Other than last year's playoffs, when he and Crosby were by far the best players on the ice for the Penguins, I haven't really seen too much of Hossa. Over the last 4 or 5 games he's been stellar. His goals are things of beauty. I don't think there's any realistic way the Wings will be able to keep him Zetterberg and Franzen, but it'd be sweet if they can.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #367
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I wouldn't call him as a brawler at all. He doesn't fight (if he has to, he's not a good fighther). Others want to fight him, and he has gotten several players to drop their gloves without him dropping his (which has drawn two players this year already to start punching him without Kaleta fighting back or dropping his gloves). He can draw at least one penalty per game). He's a guy who will try to check at any chance he gets (and he's a pretty good at delivering a big hit), get them off their game, and get under their skin (which will lead to stupid decisions by them). What makes Kaleta work is that he stays cool.

Kaleta is actually quite skilled at fighting, he did it a ton while down at Rochester. When he was brought up he was told to lay off the actual fisticuffs a little because we already have a throwaway player for that in Peters.

Kaleta is first and formost a huge hitter on the ice. He goes out after anyone with their head down and takes out anyone he can that has the puck.

He's built his game around his hitting and other teams go after him because of that. I can't blame him at all for baiting them into being stupid and taking penalties. I'm just glad he does back it up when he has to.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #368
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Drew Doughty is really, really good. Lot of potentially great young defensemen in the NHL right now, like Doughty, Schenn, Piertangelo, Bogosian, etc.

Doughty is impressive. When the Kings played the Avs, he got schooled by Ryan Smyth one-on-one on the eventual game-winner, but he also had several terrific plays including a goal on a beauty of a shot.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #369
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

From Sean Leahy's Going Five Hole: Adam Mair Not a Fan of Jarkko Ruutu

"After Neil, Mair, the Senators' Jarkko Ruutu and the Sabres' Patrick Kaleta got kicked out of the game at 18:12 of the third, Mair came down the hallway near the Ottawa dressing room, still in uniform, calling for Neil.

Ruutu went out and a scuffle started. It was quickly broken up, but the episode could lead to suspensions or fines. It didn't help that the incident was caught on TV or that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was in the building."

So apparently, Jarkko Freaking Ruutu is now fighting Neil's battles for him.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #370
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Kaleta is actually quite skilled at fighting, he did it a ton while down at Rochester. When he was brought up he was told to lay off the actual fisticuffs a little because we already have a throwaway player for that in Peters.

Kaleta is first and formost a huge hitter on the ice. He goes out after anyone with their head down and takes out anyone he can that has the puck.

He's built his game around his hitting and other teams go after him because of that. I can't blame him at all for baiting them into being stupid and taking penalties. I'm just glad he does back it up when he has to.

I didn't know that. I just see him body slam guys. I think they should let him throw punches every once in a while.

Goose and Connolly should be back very soon, if by Thursday's game. I'm guessing Ellis will go back down (he's played very solid). I'm guessing Peters will be the next man out? It'll be interesting to see what they do when Hecht comes back (he should be back soon as well, I think). MacArthur is playing terrific hockey. You can't sit Kaleta (besides his pest and checking abilities, he's not a bad player. He can skate, and gives a 100% effort every time he's on the ice).
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #371
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
From Sean Leahy's Going Five Hole: Adam Mair Not a Fan of Jarkko Ruutu

"After Neil, Mair, the Senators' Jarkko Ruutu and the Sabres' Patrick Kaleta got kicked out of the game at 18:12 of the third, Mair came down the hallway near the Ottawa dressing room, still in uniform, calling for Neil.

Ruutu went out and a scuffle started. It was quickly broken up, but the episode could lead to suspensions or fines. It didn't help that the incident was caught on TV or that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was in the building."

So apparently, Jarkko Freaking Ruutu is now fighting Neil's battles for him.

When do these teams play next?

I hope Ottawa does make the playoffs. A Buffalo-Ottawa series would be fun.

Here's the link to the video of the scuffle. Just click on the Sens-Sabres highlights, and go to around 1:05 in the video.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-28-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #372
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I didn't know that. I just see him body slam guys. I think they should let him throw punches every once in a while.

Goose and Connolly should be back very soon, if by Thursday's game. I'm guessing Ellis will go back down (he's played very solid). I'm guessing Peters will be the next man out? It'll be interesting to see what they do when Hecht comes back (he should be back soon as well, I think). MacArthur is playing terrific hockey. You can't sit Kaleta (besides his pest and checking abilities, he's not a bad player. He can skate, and gives a 100% effort every time he's on the ice).

Well, Ellis is definitely the first guy that comes out. He's been fine but is easily replaced.

Peters is the next one that would be scratched - you hope that Mair, Kaleta and Goose could handle any physical altercations that arise during the game, although Mair still looks to be hurt and avoiding fighting at all costs.

When Hecht comes back, you have a decision to make. Lindy Ruff is just looking for a reason to take out MacArthur - he's got four goals and looks decent out there in stretches offensively but he's just not a solid defensive player, misses assignments and is downright horrible on draws. He will be the next guy to get scratched in my opinion, over Kaleta.

Other than that, Ruff might just start playing the hot hands and benching the guys who are struggling, like Stafford, who just isn't doing anything on the top line with Vanek. Max is driving me crazy even more than usual this year despite his seven assists...he needs to be taught a lesson that skating around the perimeter in circles then shooting the puck into the defenders shinpads isn't effective offensive hockey.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #373
Butter
Coordinator

Watched more than 2 seconds of a hockey game for the first time in, like, ever last night since the Blue Jackets/Ducks game was in HD on my DirecTV. It was pretty entertaining, but the Jackets blew a 2-1 lead in the final half of the 3rd period. Frustrating.

I have casually followed the Jackets for a while now, and just get the impression that even with a "big name" coach, they are still destined to be a perennial bottom-feeder. Disappointing.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #374
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Well, Ellis is definitely the first guy that comes out. He's been fine but is easily replaced.

Peters is the next one that would be scratched - you hope that Mair, Kaleta and Goose could handle any physical altercations that arise during the game, although Mair still looks to be hurt and avoiding fighting at all costs.

When Hecht comes back, you have a decision to make. Lindy Ruff is just looking for a reason to take out MacArthur - he's got four goals and looks decent out there in stretches offensively but he's just not a solid defensive player, misses assignments and is downright horrible on draws. He will be the next guy to get scratched in my opinion, over Kaleta.

Other than that, Ruff might just start playing the hot hands and benching the guys who are struggling, like Stafford, who just isn't doing anything on the top line with Vanek. Max is driving me crazy even more than usual this year despite his seven assists...he needs to be taught a lesson that skating around the perimeter in circles then shooting the puck into the defenders shinpads isn't effective offensive hockey.

I know Ellis is the first guy to go. It's nice to know that we have quality depth in the minors.

I think Peters will also become a healthy scratch when Connolly comes back. I'm guessing when Rivet comes back, he'll make scratching Peters a little easier.

I'm not sure how to handle Stafford. He has his games, has plenty of talent, but just needs to put it together. As for Max, I wouldn't mind seeing him moved (this being his contract year).
Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #375
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hossa's goal last night was another for the highlight reel. It was a 5-on-3. Hossa got the puck just outside the blueline and then just exploded through two defense, blew right by them with an amazing burst of speed, got between the circles and blasted it over LaBarbera's glove.

Other than last year's playoffs, when he and Crosby were by far the best players on the ice for the Penguins, I haven't really seen too much of Hossa. Over the last 4 or 5 games he's been stellar. His goals are things of beauty. I don't think there's any realistic way the Wings will be able to keep him Zetterberg and Franzen, but it'd be sweet if they can.

Honestly HB, I'd rather see Franzen walk if it means we can sign Hossa long term. I love Franzen but Hossa is a better player. Period. He's a great two way forward who plays the PP and PK.

Plus with the way Franzen is playing, he could get 5 mil per on the market somewhere, and honestly if he plays hardball, I'd find the other 2 mil and hope Hossa likes to win.

Give me Hossa/Helm over Franzen.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #376
Pyser
Pro Rookie

its early in the season, and the devils have already lost rolston, langenbrunner, and holik to injuries...and all have been replaced by rookies. getting a good look at the future in nj these days (except for that guy in net). should be an interesting game against toronto tomorrow.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #377
Hurst2112
College Starter

I come to this thread just to see HB's '(stanley)cup half empty' posts about the Wings. You really let me down this time man.

I keed, I keed! You're the 1 Wings fan I've known over the years that keeps my fandom in check.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #378
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
I come to this thread just to see HB's '(stanley)cup half empty' posts about the Wings. You really let me down this time man.

I keed, I keed! You're the 1 Wings fan I've known over the years that keeps my fandom in check.

Heh! I'm glad I can be of service.

I do try to be very objective when assessing the Wings. That often leads me to be pretty pessimistic. I think I'm just over compensating for many of my enthusiastic brethren. Also, the fact that Michigan and the Lions are just awful has definitely softened me up this year and have put things into perspective. I'm really just enjoying actually watching a talented and competitive team. It feels like it's been a while. (The Lions' pre-season championship aside.)

Though, since you brought it up...

The Wings are 7-1-1 and just finished the first two games of a long 5 game Western road trip. Despite the great record, the Wings really haven't played a good game. They won their last two against Chicago and Los Angeles in shootouts and all but two of their other victories were by one goal. Their two other victories were two goal games and the Wings scored an empty net goal in each.

They aren't blowing people away. Their defense and goaltending have just been ok. Osgood has just been ok. Conklin was pretty stellar, but had a rough night against Chicago. They are giving up a ton more shots than they have in the past (though they held LA to just 19 last night) and there have been a lot more giveaways in their own zone. It's not too huge a concern because they are still winning. Like DeTox has mentioned, the Hossa-Holmstrom-Datsyuk line is probably one of the best in the NHL right now and Zetterberg continues to be Zetterberg. The loss of Franzen for a month will hurt, but the Wings have a lot of depth and hopefully playing with Zetterberg will get someone like Cleary, Hudler, or Samuelsson going. You just hope that the goaltending and defense will get into form over the course of the season.

P.S. If you're really jonesing for some of my better "'(stanley)cup half empty' posts" go back and read last year's playoff thread. I do believe that I picked the Wings to lose every series but the first and explained why.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #379
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well ML, looks like no Yzerman for the Leafs:

The moment Yzerman accepted the job of executive director of Team Canada for the 2010 Olympics, the Detroit Red Wings vice president essentially ended any chance of taking the next step in his NHL management career in the next 16 months.

"Yes, that's true," Yzerman told ESPN.com. "First of all, part of the reason I was given the responsibilities of the Olympic team is that I have a little bit more flexibility, a lot more flexibility really, than a general manager of an NHL team. I talked with [Hockey Canada president] Bob Nicholson about it, and one thing that was real important was having whoever was running the Olympic program to really have the ability to focus on it and be flexible in his schedule.

"So, I think it would be unfair to them if I all of sudden changed now and told them I was moving on to something else, as well. Bob could have gone out and got one of several current GMs to be in charge if that were the case."

Besides, Yzerman said he's totally happy working for the Red Wings right now, the only NHL team he has ever played for. So, it's not a guarantee he would jump ship for a GM job.

"At some point here in Detroit, we'll sit down and talk about my future," said Yzerman. "Because I would like to spend my entire time in the Detroit organization and that doesn't necessarily mean sitting around to be the general manager. We really haven't talked about it as an organization, in terms of the future.

"I love working for the Red Wings. I'm not out there actively pursuing other jobs."

"I like working with Kenny and Jim," said Yzerman. "Detroit's my home. I like it here. But I guess I would stop short of saying I would never leave for another opportunity."
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #380
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
its early in the season, and the devils have already lost rolston, langenbrunner, and holik to injuries...and all have been replaced by rookies. getting a good look at the future in nj these days (except for that guy in net). should be an interesting game against toronto tomorrow.

I am intersted to see how some of these other teams fare when the injuries start hitting.

Pittsburgh's been without 2 top 4 D since late Sept...and (knock on wood) have almost not missed a beat, 5-2-2. Easy to point fingers in hindsight, but 1 of those regulation losses and both OT losses are games they led in the 3rd period-

4-3 to the Caps in regulation, after leading 3-0
2-1 to NJ in OT
3-2 to the Rangers in a shootout, after leading 2-0

In all those cases, they quit playing in the 3rd, dumping the puck, and quit playing offense, so I can't lay the blame on the D.

They'll only be better once Whitney returns in a month, and Gonchar in March. They, hopefully, should just be hitting their stride in April.

The one thing I think this team is still missing is a top 9 forward who at least scares someone, even a little, physically. Laraque sort of filled that role, but more so Roberts and Malone in the playoffs. Godard and Bissonette are holding up just fine in their 4 mins a game, but they won't see the ice very often in the playoffs.

Just as an example-- the Cap game, Ovechkin ran around and tried to nail Malkin about 7-8 times that game. Last year, even if it cost him a penalty, Roberts would have caught Ovechkin from behind one time, to at least put the idea in his head that he needs to keep his head up.

No idea who is going to be available in March, in the last year of his contract, on a bottom feeder...other than if Roberts wants to come back.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #381
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wow, Tim Thomas and the Bruins post back to back shutouts on the road.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #382
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

juliens a great coach. defense wins, no matter no how much the nhl wished it didnt.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #383
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

I imagine that cements Timmay in the #1 Goaltender spot until he hits a rough patch, then we can let Manny and him battle it out again. It's much more comforting knowing you have a legit #2 goalie who could step in and be a limited #1 for a length of time.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #384
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I imagine that cements Timmay in the #1 Goaltender spot until he hits a rough patch, then we can let Manny and him battle it out again. It's much more comforting knowing you have a legit #2 goalie who could step in and be a limited #1 for a length of time.

Agreed, Thomas is and should be the #1 and Fernandez is a top quality backup. It's nice to have that luxury but this is Thomas' team.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #385
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Leafs are starting to get into that "hey, what's the matter with you kids, didn't anybody tell you you're not supposed to be good?" zone.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #386
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings lose in OT tonight in a game they didn't deserve a point from, but they got screwed on the GWG. Clearly a high stick but how they played it prolly shouldn't have made it that far anyway.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #387
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Leafs are starting to get into that "hey, what's the matter with you kids, didn't anybody tell you you're not supposed to be good?" zone.

shrug. i guess. they took a lot of shots and had some great perseverance. but they also gave up 5 goals on, what, 25 shots?

and the devils played one of their worst defensive games in god knows how long. i know the devils hadnt allowed 50 shots in 25 years or so...and the leafs had, what, 48?

6-5 shootout win. the nhls wet dream...and i thought it was a pretty bad game.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #388
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Blocked at work now (damnit!) so didn't post the other day.

Here's hoping going to the desert is what the doctor (not Dr Sak) ordered for the Pens...coming off that disgusting 11 shot effort vs. the Sharks.

In response to that, Therrien has switched up the lines again-

Fedotenko - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Malkin - Sykora
Satan - Staal - Kennedy
Bissonette - Zigomanis - Godard

Yes...that's Matt Cooke...playing on the 2nd line. Talbot is out (undisclosed injury) currently, so who knows once he returns.

I am holding out a little hope...Staal has been much better the past few games, returning to C from LW. And Fedotenko has probably been the best forward overall the last 3 games.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #389
Galaxy
Coordinator

Mair got fined $2500 for his role in Monday's game. Paul Gaustad and Henrik Tallinder will be back for tonight's game.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #390
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, Colton Orr and Eric Boulton just exchanged punches for a solid two minutes. It was unreal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #391
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Am I alone in thinking that Therrien is a terrible NHL head coach?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #392
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Am I alone in thinking that Therrien is a terrible NHL head coach?

Two years ago all of Pittsburgh would have agreed.
Now? Hard to argue with the results.

I think he's an awful motivator, calling guys out in public. In-game, he'll juggle lines maybe a little too quickly and not always make adjustments between periods.

But he's tailored a great system to his players ability-- i'd bet most casual fans wouldn't know the names Mark Eaton & Rob Scuderi. But he used them for 3rd in GAA in the East last season.

And has (arguably) the best player in the world buying into it.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #393
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sabres suck.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #394
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
and the devils played one of their worst defensive games in god knows how long. i know the devils hadnt allowed 50 shots in 25 years or so...and the leafs had, what, 48?
An awful lot of teams seem to be mysteriously playing their worst game of the year against the Leafs.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #395
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Sabres suck.

Its like someone flipped a fucking switch. Ugly ugly hockey.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #396
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Its like someone flipped a fucking switch. Ugly ugly hockey.

I mean, I can take a loss if they gave a 100% effort. These last two games have just been ugly.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-31-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:43 AM   #397
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I mean, I can a loss if they gave a 100% effort. These last two games have just been ugly.

They *really* miss Rivet's presence on the backend.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #398
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I mean, I can a loss if they gave a 100% effort. These last two games have just been ugly.

hmmm
the Avs - Sabres game was a terrific game, and I blogged that I could easily see that as a preview of the SC Finals. The Avs have been terrible in the 2 games they've played since and it sounds like Buffalo is in the same boat. Odd.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #399
Pyser
Pro Rookie

now andy greene is out for the devils with a broken hand. he had 6 points in 6 games on D. langenbrunners back, but 3 others are injured for a while. its a battle so far.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #400
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Crosby listed as day-to-day...but aren't we all?