Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mini Road Trip: Mall of America

For the helluva it we're going to the Mall of America tomorrow. Leaving here (Detroit) at 9 PM, should get to the Mall by noon.

Any thing a real must to do there? Or is it just like any mall .. just bigger?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

go on the rides at camp snoopy. i dunno. i hate it out there and never go.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I love Air Traffic. Great store with all things Cool. Okay maybe not all things, but there is a lot of cool stuff in there. Yo Yos, Juggling equipment, War Hammer Stuff, other games. Just a very fun place. It was one of my favorite places there in the mall back seven or so years ago when I had a consulting gig in Minneapolis. As an interesting note, on my last flight back to the west coast, the guy who sat next to me was rather engaging. It turns out that he owned Air Traffic, and was coming out to L.A. to seal some sort of exclusive distribution deal. We actually talked our way across the country. That is something I've never done before, I typically just ignore folks when they start talking.

Just make the rounds. There are a lot of interesting places to spend your money.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 05-25-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Yeah just go there and take it all in. The rides in Camp Snoopy are ok. No real signature restaurants to speak of. But it's a good time if you've never been there before.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

I wish they still had Hulk Hogan's restaurant there RIP Pastamania
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Don't be bummed out when you find out that it's not called Camp Snoopy anymore. Charlie Brown and his friends fucking left.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Don't be bummed out when you find out that it's not called Camp Snoopy anymore. Charlie Brown and his friends fucking left.

oh yeah, its called The Park or some gay shit now
Old 05-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Nascar simulation.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Great big mall, pretty good for people watching and a decent variety of stores. Wouldn't bother with the amusement park in the middle, it's just a small version of any other amusement park.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

From a parent of young kids perspective...

The aquarium is nice, I've heard, but way overpriced. A short walk through a tunnel under water. Look at sharks and fishies.

The dinosaur thingie is way overpriced, but my wife said our 4-year-old son really liked it.

The park in the middle is fun, if you've got little kids. Kind of mild for bigger kids. It's just a little park.

Legoland is a good 30 minutes worth of playtime if you've got little kids, but it's a magnet for pushy kids and obnoxious parents.

IKEA is next door. If you like shopping and haven't been to one before, it's likely worth a stop. They have dirt cheap lunches, especially cheap for little kids.

I've heard good things too about the NASCAR Simulation. They recently interviewed one guy on the local news that has logged something like 4 million hours driving at the place. I'm sure you'll run into him. I think he pretty much lives there.

Otherwise, lots and lots of stores that you can find pretty much in Detroit, I would think. The Apple Store is interesting if you like Macs and haven't been to one before. Rainforest Cafe is kind of interesting to eat at, if you haven't been to one before.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

I haven't been to MoA in a good eight or nine years. Man, do I feel old.

It's a fun shopping experience, though.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

What blows is living here, trying to 'run in and run out'. Weekdays around noon usually work.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 05-26-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #13
Hurst2112
College Starter

Can't make your own cereal anymore either.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:57 AM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

[quote=DeToxRoxDVHStyle]For the helluva it we're going to the Mall of America tomorrow. Leaving here (Detroit) at 9 PM, should get to the Mall by noon. quote]

Ah, the impetuouness of youth. . . How I miss those days (sort of).

Enjoy, DeTox! I was there once. About 10 years ago now. It was after a similar road trip (leave Ann Arbor around 7 or so and arrive in Minny the next morning). I was still really tired when we visited the place (a day or two after we arrived). I remember the place being very large. That's about it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

The mall is on the south part of town not really all that close to downtown. Downtown has some nice things including the Walker Art Center which is a very nice. They mostly have modern art there though so if you don't like that kind of stuff make sure you skip it.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Can't make your own cereal anymore either.

Those BASTARDS!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
The mall is on the south part of town not really all that close to downtown. Downtown has some nice things including the Walker Art Center which is a very nice. They mostly have modern art there though so if you don't like that kind of stuff make sure you skip it.

The art institute museum is free. I live over there. That's just south of downtown.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #18
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Make sure you check out Sears and Macy's. For food, you just HAVE to try Ruby Tuesday.

Just busting ya. I miss the days of a pointless road trip.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #19
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Oh..and if it's still open....check out the magnet store. Not because it's great or anything, I'm just fascinated that a store selling only refrigerator magnets can survive in a mall.

God bless those kids.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 05-26-2006 at 11:21 AM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #20
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad Hulk Hogan's Pastamania wasn't still open.. you could get some Hulk-A-Roos...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #21
revrew
Team Chaplain

As a former MN resident, I echo some of the above sentiments. Skip the amusement park in the middle; it's really not all that. I do, however, recommend the LEGO land, as it's something my kids have always remembered, and frankly, I thought was pretty cool, too. We enjoyed the aquarium, though the walk-through is a little overrated.

And, IME, it is NOT just a bigger mall. It's more like a village under a roof. As for food, unfortunately, I didn't find anything worth noting, though Gatlin's (if it's still there) is the first place I ever had a bloomin' onion, so there's places worth trying.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #22
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

No need to look for Gatlin's, it's been closed for years and after the smoking ban went into effect, the rest of the bars on the 4th floor closed too.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #23
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
No need to look for Gatlin's, it's been closed for years and after the smoking ban went into effect, the rest of the bars on the 4th floor closed too.

no more hooters?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #24
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

There are plenty of hooters in that mall.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 PM   #25
Craptacular
College Starter

This is the first Memorial Day weekend in four years that we will NOT be at the MoA. We've gone with another couple ... the guys play as much disc golf as we can (they have a lot of courses in the area), and the gals go shopping. LegoLand is cool ... I can't wait 'til the kids get old enough for those.

On a side note, for any of the Twin Cities folks, what happened to the condos that were supposed to be included in the phase II development of the MoA? I saw in the news a few days ago that the development is on hold until the gov't and the developers can agree on some tax stuff, but the article only mentioned things like hotels, performing arts, offices, an ice rink, etc, and not residential units. I was interested to see if the concept of a self-contained city worked.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #26
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
no more hooters?

I believe Hooters might be the only one that was able to make it, the huge sports bar didn't though.

Craptacular, there is a article in the current local paper about the tax thing, I haven't read it but here is the online version of it:

http://www.mnsun.com/articles/2006/0...ws/bl25tif.txt
Old 05-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #27
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
For the helluva it we're going to the Mall of America tomorrow. Leaving here (Detroit) at 9 PM, should get to the Mall by noon.

Any thing a real must to do there? Or is it just like any mall .. just bigger?

Gar. I was going to see if you wanted to catch the Tigers on Sunday
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #28
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Craptacular, there is a article in the current local paper about the tax thing, I haven't read it but here is the online version of it:

http://www.mnsun.com/articles/2006/0...ws/bl25tif.txt

Thanks for the link. That was a more detailed article, but it doesn't mention condos as part of the development either. If there were residential units included, you could pretty much live, work, shop, and be entertained in one building ... like the SimCity 2000 arcologies.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote