Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #151
Flasch186
Coordinator

So not Aiden specific but on his team on Sunday they hit 3 Grand Slams in one inning. I tried to research it and can only find that it's never happened in the Majors. Any way of finding out if it's ever happened in college or HS or Travel ball?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-16-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:00 AM   #152
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden had an opportunity this past weekend to fill in some holes on his old B team along with another player that was similarly called up. It was a blast. Aiden had fun, hit a home run, and pitched a 13 pitch inning. It was great to see old friends and Aiden really was a very vocal leader of the team (which I guess was missing and the coaches asked him to do). Very cool weekend.

This week and weekend is loaded with baseball.

Loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #153
Flasch186
Coordinator

So Aiden’s hitting coach is a coach at a local private school, St Johns country day, and Aiden hot a taste of being at their campus last summer and in lessons recently. The coach had teased in passing about Aiden playing there. No idea if he’s even good enough but Aiden on the way home the other day said he wants to. Play there and for their showcase team if he can make it. We’re willing to do it budget wise. What a crazy idea but if it’s possible we’ll do it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #154
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you can afford it, and if it's something he wants, I say you do it. The one recommendation I'd make is to find out about the academics, since private schools can vary pretty dramatically. But if it's local you must be able to find other parents who know about that.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:02 AM   #155
Swaggs
Coordinator

Agreed on the academics. I would also do some digging on how many kids they recruit in this way. I'm not saying this is the case here, but there are plenty of situations where it becomes a money making game for an ambitious coach or administrator or they are looking to fund their own kids(s).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:25 AM   #156
Flasch186
Coordinator

We're touring the school on the 21st AND I spoke to a family which had kids there. One kid went 6th and on to graduate and the other went 6th up to now wherein he's a junior. Both played Baseball. We havent heard anything bad thus far other than the cost and distance. It's so alien to me to move where we moved for the schools which there's the requisite schools for our kids within a mile yet to be considering driving our oldest to a private school 30 or so minutes away for a fee. SMH Here we are though.

The parent said the Baseball program at the school is run like a collegiate program. MS JV and V practice with the HS JV and V learning the same things and doing the same things. No one gets cut (its a small school) but no one is just given PT. You have to earn that.

I like the idea of stretching him academically as well and continuing the eat what you kill mentality I've given him when it comes to earning the opportunities that I once kicked a door open to (All star B team Practice squad at the beginning of the thread). The classes are smaller 12-1 and he won't be able to be "bored" which he complains about a lot currently. The baseball program is also year round so there wont be a ton of scrambling trying to stay polished during "off season". This school has an offseason program involving stretching, arm care, weight training, cardio etc. which seems to be something that is just missed as impossible to accomplish when you're on disparate teams with separated seasons and little organized team activities during the break; left on your own to do it.

ALSO, I found out that the 7th grader from the same school as Aiden that is a great baseball player is likely moving to the school too, so I reached out to put a feeler out about car pooling and they were open to it so that's good too.

Here's the school

https://www.sjcds.net/

Kid hit a nice Line Drive Triple on Monday:

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-13-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:14 AM   #157
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sounds like things are lining up nicely. Everything checks out good except, as you say, the cost & commute, but the former you said you could afford and the latter is temporary. Really like the small class sizes.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #158
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden had a hitting lesson yesterday and advised his coach who is also the private school’s middle school baseball head coach and assistant to high school that he intends to go there next year. The coach was positive in response and let me know that he’ll coordinate the program director over all of baseball to be present when we’re there Thursday morning. Originally we intended to tour as parents without Aiden but the coach Saturday let me know to bring Aiden as well to meet the head dude. So that’s what is happening Thursday. 😀

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-22-2022, 06:22 AM   #159
Flasch186
Coordinator

The tour was moved today because Aiden has finals. He has 100 averages
(AVERAGES) in his classes right now so we don't think this will be a bad move academically but I'm still anxious as hell. It's such a huge move, friends, paths, etc all changing over night should we do this which we think we are going to. Anyways, we tour at 1:00 and supposedly a coach or two will pop by to meet us and Aiden is going with us to see if his excitement holds firm or waivers as it becomes more tangible.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-22-2022, 07:51 PM   #160
Flasch186
Coordinator

Went well

I wasn’t over the moon about the facilities as the place was built in 1953 but Aiden loved it

I reached out to my brother for advice and he says it’s a no brainier to go for one year to try it out

The coach, Aiden’s hitting coach, reiterated almost kind of in a forecast that Aiden is going to have to work to get on the field in game time. It’s certainly not a given and in a way I’m feeling a bit of trepidation about Aiden being potentially at the bottom of talent on the roster in the beginning. Just makes me nervous and makes me wonder or question whether I’m deluding myself that he’s good enough. Academically he’s smart enough but I think he’s going to be playing with some big boys and he’s going to really have to put on his big boy pants to learn and grind to get better.

One year. We’ll see what happens after one year.

If it’s too big of a jump then we’ll have to decide if the academics alone are enough to stay there and they might be. If not then he’ll go back to his old middle school For 8th and then high school at 9th and the original plan before this detour will just be reinstated.

Nerves

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-22-2022, 11:15 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nerves

Fwiw, my experience says those are gonna exist any time you do something major with/for your kid (at least if you're doing parenting right).

Better to have nerves because you care and want the best for him than to have no worries at all. It goes with it my friend, it just goes with it.

My two cents, fwiw.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #162
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If he can handle it academically, then I think from an athletic point this is probably the age I'd want him to get this challenge, as opposed to earlier, when it might have put it off, or at college, where the dream dying might hit harder.

He's probably going to find out if he can make it, with some grind, or if taking it past the high school level is too far a jump. Probably better to go through that inflection point before it becomes a major factor in college choice.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #163
Flasch186
Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback

I spoke with a family that recently had two kids graduate from there and he said it was the best parenting decision he’s made.

That was reassuring

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #164
Flasch186
Coordinator

We continue to hit with his coach that also is the MS coach at the new school and he “stretched” him today. Dialed the machine up to about 70 from 50’ and pressed Aiden and Aiden struggled. He then talked about getting comfortable being uncomfortable and then he pushed Aiden to push himself. It’s exactly what he needs imo. He said this:

And I responded that I’m board 100% and expect him to be pushed and he’ll have to earn his shots.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-03-2022, 05:29 AM   #165
Flasch186
Coordinator

BigAF bounced back with his best hitting session with coach Tom yesterday. He was complimented on his bounce back. He was swinging at ~70 from 45' and was barreling many balls. It was the sort of mental approach needed to move to this level so while Sunday was not satisfactory yesterday was in regards to mentality.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-03-2022, 07:15 PM   #166
Flasch186
Coordinator

BigAF took two today

Hopefully he’s not gun shy afterward

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #167
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden was officially accepted into the college prep school with the great baseball program today

Budget just got blown up

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-05-2022, 01:39 AM   #168
PilotMan
Head Coach

Congrats! Big move!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:10 AM   #169
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Congrats! Big move!

I'm actually scared to death and the only way I can somewhat keep the anxiety in check is to say to myself, "You're only committing to one year... you can always go back," to the pu8blic school that is literally 1 mile from my house where he's gotten straight As. The baseball is not great but they're trying to bring in a new coach and trying to grow it but it's still bad (an afterthought).

I'm just scared the prep school will be too small of a social group, too niche, too curated. Then what if the baseball isn't all it's cracked up to be.

All of the doubts I've tried to read and read techniques and ways to beat the doubts and fears away but they're really coming hard right now about this decision.

Its only 1 year.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I'm just scared the prep school will be too small of a social group, too niche, too curated.

re: small group -- one of the things that helped with that in our situation was to maintain some existing connections outside that circle.

For example, Will chose to remain with his original Scout troop instead of switching over to one that was based largely around his new school. Made Scout stuff a break from the same faces.

Later, another way of expanding his circle was stuff like non-school related extracurriculars, such as getting involved with a non-profit group whose junior board was made up of students from something like 6 or 7 different HS across a multi-county area. At least one of those is still friend enough that they talk to this day.

Granted, we were lucky, choices like those were largely his, he consciously wanted to maintain some variety to the people he had to see and deal with. And that's a thing that involves both some (self) awareness as well as decision making about where the line ends up being between "still being a stranger" to the new classmates and "okay, I've had about all these same faces I can take".

My point here really is just that it IS doable to broaden the social relationships even with a small(er) school environment. It just takes a little more thinking outside the box, not being overly reliant on the school associations to provide all the socialization.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #171
Flasch186
Coordinator

Gun shy was an understatement in today’s two games, he basically gave himself no shot at the plate. A total 8u/9u performance wherein he basically wanted out of the box. I told him to tell the coaches before the games tomorrow whether or not they should actually put him in the line up because right now, if he can’t overcome the fear of getting hit right now, he needs to bench himself for the betterment of his friends and coaches. I even told him that he had a right to be scared based on the gun fire he experienced but if he’s hurting the team than that’s not fair to them. He has to decide if he is going to battle tomorrow and give himself a shot to help the team and if not; if he’s not ready then sit for tomorrow and be a cheer leader. We’ll see if he responds or if he needs more time and self maturity To overcome the hiccup. 🤦‍♂️ I told him that I hoped he was able to handle this quickly but that it was up to him as to how long he wanted to let it control him.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #172
Flasch186
Coordinator

Alright so I don't know what I've laid out but here goes:

The 12u All Star team (A Team) is completely dysfunctional. The head coach's administrator, who generally has a big heart, is also completely unstable and volatile. We've had numerous explosions surrounding him and his wife about numerous topics including his son who also is unstable and volatile. He's like Babe Ruth (the son is too) in that they're big (the dad is like 6'4" 400#) and the 12 yr old son is BIG as well. The fire is big too.

On mistakes made by anyone the son is chastising the players on the field. On his own strike outs he's slamming helmets and bats and the parents of him simply say he's passionate and wants to win more than others do and in some cases they're right. We have another family on the team who's son is just their to be around friends. That being said they're not toxic like this.

Recently (1 mo ago) the big dad went off on an umpire from the stands and it turned the crowd into a shit show. A set of parents that are nicest people in the world almost pulled their son from the team in saying to the coach "this is not what we signed up for and this is not setting a good example." They stayed but the gauntlet was set and a team meeting was set.

However the timing dragged and then when the meeting happened it was white washed and nothing was ever said directly to the big toxic family. They in turn played their cards right and remained quiet. The big guy (who is actually a nice guy outside of these flaws) is on the phone with the head coach a few nights a week and is able to manipulate and spin and now, a month later, the die has been cast that it's everyone else that might be the problem and not them. Perhaps they need to start from scratch in the fall with 13u.

What they don't admit to is that the team is going to explode at the end of the season anyways. Multiple people have stated quietly to each other that they will not be back in the fall due to this unhealthy environment. It's unfixable at this point with only 4 tournaments to go.

Somehow I have been able to generally play my cards right and dodge the gunfire but my wife has sometimes entered the fray and much to my chagrin she has injected herself into some of the arguments. I have tried to reign her in at night, at home with explanations of ramifications. It's hard though because it's so tense now.

The big guy's wife runs the concessions and is domineering and controlling (even though she means well) and lots of people are rubbed wrong by her and don't want to work concessions with her. My wife goes because she says she can deal with it but it's terrible to watch. They'll literally fight over how many French fries to put in a serving.

So in about a month or so we're all going to Branson Mo for our end of season travel experience tourney and the parents, a few months ago (perhaps 5) chose a big super house to share. About 8 families in all including them and others and now it's looking like it might be something out of the old MTV the Real World show. It's going to be an epic shit show of tension and egg shells and I don't think it'll remain tamped down.

The worst part is the team plays like crap now because there's no comraderies amongst that sector of the team. It's literally like the team has a drop in the petri dish that everyone is running from.

Aiden did finally get close enough to the plate to make contact with the ball again. He went 5 for 6 with a triple all while "stepping out" still but we're in lessons to fix it again and get the fear of getting hit out of his system.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-24-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #173
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's hard to find the right set of 10-12 core families to build a team around. That's the way we tried to do it - talent mattered, of course, and there was some room for managing unreasonable parents, but big picture, the core of the team had to be the right mix of parents. It's difficult to try to balance playing time and personalities when people believe you are the only thing preventing them from money/free college.

We were very lucky to have a core 6 players for 7 years and 8-10 for the last 4 years. We had one bad parent - the dad of the #1 pitcher, of course. We managed to deal with him, and most of the coaches saw the issue as a dad/kid problem that didn't infect the team. One SEC coach told our coach that it was the worst parent/player dynamic she had seen in at least a decade. But we managed around it.

In most cases, teams are constantly evolving and players are coming and going either due to their perception of how good they are, or other opportunities to play for more prestigious travel teams who have pipelines to certain colleges. You just have to wade through it all and try to find the best landing spot for your kid.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-24-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #174
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So when does Aiden start pursing NIL deals?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-25-2022 at 08:59 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #175
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Oof, good luck with that trip, Flasch. That sounds like it's going to be super awkward.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #176
Flasch186
Coordinator

and it actually got worse last night. Apparently the big guy was on probation for an unprofessional expletive laden exchange and then had a similar exchange with then umpire coordinator Sunday AND the MS head coach of his son's MS team (who also happens to be the current interim president of the org we're in). So last night apparently there was a secret vote to remove him as treasurer. I didnt have a vote so I wasn't included in the convos. His wife also is the Uniform coordinator.

So last night at the team practice he shows up and tries to pull his kid from the field during practice saying fairly loudly that the parents on the team don't want him on it. He also confronted another kid at practice who's dad is an asst coach on the team we're on and the MS team he's on. Apparently the kid called the big guy's son a cry baby (which he is) and that tracked back to the dad apparently telling the boy he needed to not be such a "cry baby" in a practice so the big guy is pursuing that the dad is influencing bullying. SMH

He then slammed a bat into the ground until it broke.

Then he finally sat down and me and another mom tried to rationalize with him... until his wife showed up. Holy crap. She lost her shit screaming and ranting and raving and dropping F bombs and the like all over the field.

Then on the GroupMe a mom and her went back and forth before I deleted the entire GroupMe and started a new one over night with a message of a fresh start available to us all. It is not going well. Not going well at all.

4 more tournaments. I don't know if we can stay in the house it's going to be so tense.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #177
Flasch186
Coordinator

I feel bad for me 4 years ago

So we did the thing and signed up for 7th grade at SJCDS. Crazy to think about and I hope it works out.

Regarding the baseball he’s started their summer strength and conditioning camp which overlaps with the end run of his 12u all stars. That’s been a big shit show for Aiden as he glacially moves to get back near the plate and stop stepping out as he’s blanketed in fear of the hbp. That double drilling in April really ducked him up. He was literally sent home from a hitting lesson because the coach said they can’t work on anything until he gets his mind right.

It’s been slow going and truly wasted his last year in little league baseball but such is the roller coaster.

Districts, states, then Branson. The first run here ends in mid July then the more serious MS and HS stuff begins this fall.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-11-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #178
Flasch186
Coordinator

District Tourney last night and the kid subbed from the bench because he's blanketed in fear at the plate. He set up a good 10" more than where he was even supposed to be and then shuffled away from the plate. He ended up being walked because the kid couldn't hit the strike zone. Aiden eventually ended up scoring but it was a failure at the plate in attempting to fight his fear. That's the fight we're having at the moment. We know he's blanketed in fear. We know he's going to struggle. We're all fine with that. We just want to see him fight the fear some and that is missing at the moment.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-05-2022, 07:25 AM   #179
Flasch186
Coordinator

So the team win states 😀 That’s a really awesome accomplishment.

It’s hard to swallow that Aiden’s struggles coincided with the timing of the tournament. He’s about 80% back but just not there yet. He’s still about 10” further from the plate at time of contact then I would like. Being too far away it makes him disconnect and saps a ton of his power. He bounced a double off the wall in clean up time but it’s good to see him still battling and he’s improved dramatically since the double hbp.

So, while it’s frustrating to see him as a sub, relinquishing his starting spot it’s the situation he put himself in. He’s in control of his story and I let him know that for the last 7 weeks. So there’s no excuses, it’s all on him and how fast he can get back to who he was.

Here’s a nice compliment from a parent on the team (this is the volatile guy) about how Aiden handled the finals from his role on the bench.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-05-2022, 07:26 AM   #180
Flasch186
Coordinator

This was the double

The swing is still on point, he’s just too disconnected and 8-10” closer will fix it but that’s also 8-10” closer to where he could get hit so it’s a mental thing.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #181
Flasch186
Coordinator

The all star season has closed out in Branson Mo with Aiden continuing his slow slog back to being a hitter. Sometimes he would show up and sometimes he was too fearful (his first AB & then versus some velo). The team went 5-1 in pool play versus some good competition and their only loss was to the eventual champion. A stud laden tan out of Texas called Texas 12 and they had a few beasts one of which won the HR derby skill event. Against us we only lost 4-1 and one of their kids hit two dingers accounting for 3 of the 4 runs that they scored.

We were the 6 seed of the gold bracket and ran up against a local tan that apparently bright in a guest player flame thrower and we got no hit. The saddest part is that they got wiped out their next game because that’s all that they bought. We were deeper but not gas like that kid and lost 1-0. One round and done.

In the mean time we move on to his new school and his new program. Hopefully it all works out but we’re basically handing him over to the program and closing our eyes. It’s his path to manage now with our assistance of course.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-24-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #182
miami_fan
Coordinator

The change may be just what he needs. My son struggled near the end of last spring on a travel team that he had been on for about two years. He played all of the sports available to him in his last year of middle school and played in a rec league just to get more reps in along with the travel team. He played pretty okay with the travel team but he just wasn't the same person as he was with the other teams he played on in other sports and on his rec ball team. My wife and I also had some issues with how things were going with the travel team as they seemed to be pushing him to more of a pitcher only role as opposed to playing first base as well so I knew I was going to look for some alternatives. We had committed to him playing with the travel team for the first half of June. Once that was done, we pulled him back to get him a bit of a rest and see what we do next especially since he was entering high school this year. During that time, his rec team was going to states so he was still involved with that while also guesting for another team.

All of a sudden, his confidence grew and he played better throughout the summer. Not only did he play better and improve technically, he actually became more of a leader and was willing to take more responsibility on the field and off with his teammates and asking coaches for help. When I asked him about it, he said that because his coach was so quick to correct every little thing, he did not feel he could tell a teammate to make adjustment and sort of put himself in a shell. The difference in voice and style was just what he needed. Hopefully, it will be the same for Aiden.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #183
Flasch186
Coordinator

Had tryouts today for the Fall Club team that the school kind of puts together, The Florida Dodgers, and he did a B quality job IMO. I have no expectations that he'll be on the A team but the B team practices with the A team and the same coaches so it will be great exposure and learning if he is in the B team. Should learn end of the week if he made it.

The new school has lit a spark in Aiden's eyes re: academics too. He actually said this morning that he's excited for school to start. His baseball coaches will be around him all of the time so I know his behavior ought to be on point (has never been an issue).

I also grabbed him a lesson with a very good pitching coach that is flying through the area (https://www.facebook.com/DMPITCHING/) end of the month. I'm literally having to being a portable mound and plate and snag the guy in the parking lot of the hotel he's going to be at. I'm hopeful and I talked to him about this, that he's able to give Aiden some foundational pointers and tweaks to his motion that he can use to lift him up for the new coaches to then work with. It's worth it if he can tweak Aiden's motion to have him be able to get reps there and get on the radar of the coaches so that they'll want to develop his pitching more.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-06-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #184
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Dropped Sam off for HS tryouts for the soccer team, after a whole summer spent at various soccer camps to get the best possible preparation.

Tryouts are today through Thursday and then we find out on Thursday if he made the team and if so which one (there are Freshman A and Freshman B).
Old 08-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #185
Flasch186
Coordinator

Nice!!!!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-09-2022, 07:58 PM   #186
Flasch186
Coordinator

Big win today

First day at the new school and he says it’s

“Amazing”

And

Talked about it the whole way home in stark contrast to the last two years at his old school where he “hated it”, was “bored” , and didn’t want to go

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-10-2022, 09:27 AM   #187
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Awesome!
Old 08-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #188
Flasch186
Coordinator

Just got word that Aiden made the school’s fall club team. Woo, that’s some pressure off right there.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #189
Flasch186
Coordinator

BTW I've been personally relishing in the fact that the Mom and son bullies from his past team verbalized that Aiden had no shot of making that Dodgers program. He did and I just want to physically throw it in their face somehow. I wont but I hate naysayers.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-14-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #190
Flasch186
Coordinator

First intrasquad scrimmage tomorrow with the new club team, the Florida Dodgers. He’s not seen love pitching for almost 7 weeks which I hope is helpful in forgetting the hbps and he can go back to raking. Lots of practices, coach pitch, machine pitch stuff but no live pitching until tomorrow. He’s being pitching lessons as well… needs to get his elbow up and stay north-south more but we’ll get there.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #191
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden’s swing in the cage as he works this winter for his spring season.

https://youtu.be/kDd-cyPf2Is

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #192
Flasch186
Coordinator

13 year olds and their self esteem issues

At arm camp tonight before the next set of pitches the coach was looking for the kids to yell /scream before taking the mound and throwing a hard as they could while trying to hang on to good form. My son was first to go and really cracked under the internal debate of just doing it and the “what will I look like to these 5 other kids” if I do it and it led to a pretty crappy second half of arm camp where he showed that quit body language etc. Really bad showing and in front of the program director. I had hoped that he would mentally be prepared to grow out of the self esteem poison but it’s apparently going to be a longer road.

So many coaches and these two parents have reiterated for years that the only thing holding Aiden back is his head and we’re still in it. What a shame. He says to me occasionally, “dad, why am I no longer getting better.” And I point at my head which causes him to get really frustrated and angry but alas until he buys in to that as the issue we will toil in this purgatory until either he evolves or the game evolves without him. Sad

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-31-2022, 02:06 PM   #193
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sam's kind of the same way with soccer. Gives up too easily, doesn't put in the extra effort, etc.... I think all you can do is just be truthful and consistent. Either it'll connect at some point or it won't. You can't force water down the horse's throat.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:25 PM   #194
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Sam's kind of the same way with soccer. Gives up too easily, doesn't put in the extra effort, etc.... I think all you can do is just be truthful and consistent. Either it'll connect at some point or it won't. You can't force water down the horse's throat.

yeah. Its super frustrating to deal with the self deprecation and self immolation but when it comes to being positive, looking at videos, etc its like pulling teeth to reiterate that that's what's necessary to do it. In some ways I feel like he rebels simply against me for some reason and that stinks. I'm hopeful that the coaches will write it off to age and maybe they've seen it before but for me, the parent, it seems to be HUGE moments where he self destructs and wants everyone to know it (as he shows it).

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 AM   #195
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden starts his spring season presented with a choice by the coach. The coach told him that he can choose to be on the A Team this spring and struggle to get playing time or he can choose the B team and get a ton of playing time and be the anchor. Aiden chose the B team and the coach made him feel like it was the right decision by saying that that was the right choice explicitly but then also adding this about playing with the A team when their's not a scheduling conflict. He also added that this would help Aiden develop (IMO get back to the path he was on) and then in the summer he'll come up to play on the A team again. While aiden is back on the plate finally he's not aggressive at the plate and not looking to attack the baseball. He's hesitant because we think he's still first looking to see if he's going to get hit. With this spring loaded down with Middle School ball and then B team baseball while getting a few opportunities to play with the A team I hope that the final vestiges of the PTSD will be wiped away. First MS game is this evening and then its heavy baseball for about 3 months. He's also sticking with A's and B's at the moment which is awesome.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-21-2023, 08:31 AM   #196
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

13 y/o daughter is in a similar spot in gymnastics. She was injured all last year so she shifted to what is essentially a B team since she needs time to rebuild strength in the arm.

She likes it and is more dedicated, but the hard part is these girls don't try as hard since it's not as competitive and she misses her friends. She wants to get back, but she's getting to the skills where you have to get over fear more than ability. Things like multiple twists on flips and she's always been terrified of getting hurt. (Her injury was a repetitive use, not accident)

Also I think they're at that age where they kind of realize that people are better and it's getting to the point where that starts to matter for their future. Our kid is talented, but her Olympic dream is starting to feel farther away for her.

Basically doing what you're doing: trying to be supportive, helpful when we can and stress the importance of school.

Oh... and push her into swim. She made varsity as a 7th grader and missed out on state by a few hundredths of a second in her first time doing competitive swim. She did City swim over the summer before school because her friend did it and cut insane time over 3 months. She picked up on it quick and if she focused on that she legit might have a college future based on what her coach said. But gymnastics is what she loves... so.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:37 AM   #197
miked
College Starter

Our daughter is level 7 gymnastics and we are starting to see the separation. Level 8 is tough with flipping on the vault and more advanced bars and beams flights. Some of the girls are fearing the flips on the beams and release moves on the bars and may end up getting stuck or quitting. That shit is scary!
Old 02-21-2023, 10:42 AM   #198
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I pay so much money for training and meets, hours traveling, then spend hours sitting there waiting for the maybe 5 minutes total she competes... and even then I only side watch because I'm terrified she'll fall and maybe get hurt.

She was in the beginning of level 6 season when she started feeling pain. Doc was hopeful it would resolve with decreased training but she ended up needing surgery. Basically a wasted year and a big setback for her. Good thing is the fire is back, but like you said, some girls just get that mental block. I don't blame her in the slightest, I would have never attempted 90% of the things she does.

Kids man. Now I wonder, did my dad feel the same when I stopped baseball to focus on soccer, a sport he didn't understand in the slightest.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 02-21-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:01 PM   #199
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden’s big coach texted me this on Thursday

It seems over the last month or so Aiden’s been thawing out

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-11-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #200
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Woo!