Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #2101
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll put this in here since he'd been a major topic for the Florida Gators in the last week or so, but some shocking news from the Georgia HS scene yesterday.

QB Robbie Roper (Roswell HS) was a very productive though largely unrecruited prospect throughout a pretty decent career.

Yesterday, as part of routine scheduled shoulder surgery, he suffered complications from the anesthesia and at last report was fighting for his life in ICU.

There are something like 438 HS football programs in the state, I've seen at least half those express their prayers and concern since the news started getting around.

The situation is just so nightmarish to so many people -- so many that can relate in a "there but for the grace of God" way -- it's felt to me like the whole state or at least the HS football subculture has really been dealt a blow.

edit to update: Shortly after noon today his family issued a statement through his official Twitter account. He didn't make it
May he rest in peace.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/high-scho...N3QNG75YKYXQ4/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-22-2021 at 12:00 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #2102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If there's anything that's going to get Norvell canned, it's his inability/unwillingness to get a transfer QB. USC's QB just went to Pitt, for chrissakes. We've got a poor man's Lamar Jackson singlehandedly keeping us from a 1 or 2 win season and nothing else. Can't recruit WR (though we at least got the Pittman dude from Oregon to transfer) and don't have a real QB.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #2103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
USC's QB just went to Pitt, for chrissakes.

I can't be the only person who figured that Slovis just didn't realize that their QB whisperer had left for Nebraska
Old 12-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #2104
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't be the only person who figured that Slovis just didn't realize that their QB whisperer had left for Nebraska

I read that his girlfriend is a student-athlete at Pitt.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #2105
Ksyrup

A&M is reportedly pulling out of the Gator Bowl due to a Covid outbreak leaving them with too few players. I know Miami is on the verge of needing to pull out of their bowl too.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-22-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #2106
miked
College Starter

Looks like RU may be the replacement for A&M according to sources. Nothing like going 5-7 and making a bowl.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #2107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Nothing like going 5-7 and making a bowl.
Without practice or preparation for it either.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #2108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So you're saying there's a chance Kansas gets in a bowl game?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #2109
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll put this in here since he'd been a major topic for the Florida Gators in the last week or so, but some shocking news from the Georgia HS scene yesterday.

QB Robbie Roper (Roswell HS) was a very productive though largely unrecruited prospect throughout a pretty decent career.

Yesterday, as part of routine scheduled shoulder surgery, he suffered complications from the anesthesia and at last report was fighting for his life in ICU.

There are something like 438 HS football programs in the state, I've seen at least half those express their prayers and concern since the news started getting around.

The situation is just so nightmarish to so many people -- so many that can relate in a "there but for the grace of God" way -- it's felt to me like the whole state or at least the HS football subculture has really been dealt a blow.

edit to update: Shortly after noon today his family issued a statement through his official Twitter account. He didn't make it
May he rest in peace.

Robbie Roper, popular HS QB from Roswell, remembered as ‘model citizen’ on and off field

This is horrible.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #2110
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So you're saying there's a chance Kansas gets in a bowl game?

SI

No, just that WF is breathing a sigh of relief
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #2111
miami_fan
Coordinator

Booooo that sideline warning penalty!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #2112
miked
College Starter

Looks like 5-7 RU backs in to the Gator Bowl thanks to academics. Not sure what happens with the players who have already declared for the draft, nobody has practiced in a few weeks, everyone is home for break, and I believe we do not have a defensive coordinator. Oh, and one of the statistically worst QBs in the country. Should be fun.

On a another note, we had already planned a trip down to Jax Beach to see some friends and were checking out on 12/31. With an 11am game, I can still go and be on the road that afternoon. Good times.

Last edited by miked : 12-23-2021 at 09:42 AM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #2113
Ksyrup

Most prestigious bowl Rutgers has ever been to! I guess in 50 years, no one will remember the details.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #2114
Ksyrup

Quote:

May he rest in peace.

Robbie Roper, Roswell High School quarterback, dies after surgery complications

Terrible story. And my daughter just realized she kinda knew his sister Breanna who played SB at GT and just transferred to Ole Miss for her super-senior season. Pretty sure we played against one of her travel teams years ago, and one her old UTM teammates played with her at GT.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:35 PM   #2115
Edward64
Head Coach

With all the bowl cancellations due to Covid, is there a chance the CFP semi/finals could be cancelled?

I can't imagine. Maybe temporarily delayed for 10+ days. Or cynically, those programs won't test as thoroughly before the games.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #2116
henry296
College Starter

There could be a forfeit in those games:

College Football Playoff committee announces new COVID-19 policy ahead of playoff games | NCAA.com

Last edited by henry296 : 12-26-2021 at 07:39 PM.
henry296 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #2117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
With all the bowl cancellations due to Covid, is there a chance the CFP semi/finals could be cancelled?

I can't imagine. Maybe temporarily delayed for 10+ days. Or cynically, those programs won't test as thoroughly before the games.

I'm pretty sure I know which answer is the accurate one.

SI

Old 12-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #2118
henry296
College Starter

Anybody heard why they wouldn't take teams from different bowls that had a cancellation and make at least one game. For example, why wouldn't ECU and SMU play each other other than they are in the same conference?
Old 12-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #2119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Anybody heard why they wouldn't take teams from different bowls that had a cancellation and make at least one game. For example, why wouldn't ECU and SMU play each other other than they are in the same conference?

My guess was/is that the bowls didn't want to end up squabbling over "well why should yours get played instead of mine?"
Old 12-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #2120
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awful story, Jon.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #2121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Although it may be a lack of interest/willingness on the part of the teams too.

According to a Brett McMurphy tweet Memphis, SMU, and ECU all declared their seasons done after their own cancellations, none were willing to be the Sun Bowl replacement team
Old 12-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #2122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

How about this?

It's the college football finals and it's the rematch everyone wanted with Alabama against Georgia. A couple of players are out for each team but no one on either 22-man. There have been sporadic questions all week but both Saban and Smart just refer to how disciplined their teams are, how much they want to win, and how they're abiding by the protocols.

In the second quarter, Bryce Young starts having visible trouble. A replay catches him coughing on the field and they announcers make a deal about it for a few minutes. But after the next commercial break, they don't talk about it again. At halftime, the ABC sideline reporter asks Nick Saban "Is Bryce ok?" and he says "Sure, sure - he's been dealing with a cold for a couple of days". If they have the temerity to ask if he was COVID tested, Saban just walks away, pretending to not hear. But, really, they won't ask the question - they know better and we all kindof suspect the announcers who mentioned it earlier in the game also got notes about it after a few minutes.

Sure, social media is all atwitter with "he has COVID - he should be out". But it's met with everything from the laughably naive "well, if it was really COVID, the NCAA would do something about it" to the football warrior "he's battling through it" mentality to your run of the mill COVID denial. People chalk it up as being Georgia fans or Alabama jealousy. There are even other eagle eyed fans who notice some other players who are symptomatic but it's lost in the social media noise because Bryce Young /is/ the story.

He still looks iffy through the rest of the game and he's getting what looks like extra fluids throughout the game. But he drives Alabama for the winning TD in the 4th quarter and the close game and Saban adding another title is the real story.

A couple of days after the game, the NCAA releases a statement about how they rely on the teams to follow the testing protocol and he Alabama assured them he wasn't symptomatic and there was no testing protocol for a player showing symptoms during the game. There's no talk about any specific players, though, again the focus is just on Young. There's some outrage, but, again, it's just chalked up as being Bama-haters or people who want to make football a sissy game. In some corners, people even start referring to it as "the COVID game" and try to lionize him like the Michael Jordan flu game.

I'm putting money on this being like 20x more realistic than a forfeit in the national title game or a major player being out.

SI

Old 12-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #2123
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How about this?

It's the college football finals and it's the rematch everyone wanted with Alabama against Georgia.

Really? This is what everyone wants?
Old 12-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #2124
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad we are into the somewhat interesting bowl games starting today.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #2125
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am pretty sure everyone wants a Georgia-Cincinatti rematch from last years bowl.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #2126
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Cool transformation of Petco Park into a football field. This is the first time that the Holiday Bowl will not be played in the old San Diego Stadium, which was demolished in 2019. The game wasn't played last year because of the COVID pandemic, and the city of San Diego worked hard to ensure the bowl game would continue into the future, with this being the 43rd edition.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #2127
Butter
Coordinator

Michigan/Cincinnati national title game in Indianapolis would be pretty damn interesting. It might also break secondary market ticket records.

It's also incredibly unlikely
Old 12-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #2128
Butter
Coordinator

The Petco Park transformation is cool and all, but it'll never top the greatest game in a baseball stadium of all time, Illinois/Northwestern at Wrigley Field when they had to agree to run all offensive plays in the same direction to prevent people from running headlong into a brick wall.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #2129
tarcone
Coordinator

Remember when everyone hated the multipurpose stadiums cities had for their baseball and football teams. The circle of life

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #2130
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Damn UCLA - not cool
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #2131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Really? This is what everyone wants?

It's written from a somewhat satirical point of view so assume it's what TV execs want

SI

Old 12-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #2132
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Damn UCLA - not cool

What can UCLA do? A bunch of players tested positive this morning. Shifting blame away from COVID is...odd.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #2133
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Chip Kelly at the press conference yesterday. "If we have 11 players, we'll play."

You made a brave noise, Chip, but when push came to shove, you decided not to play, although you had plenty of players to field a legal roster. You just didn't want to have to move a linebacker to one of your DT slots.

Unfortunate year for NC State athletics. First, they get fucked over when four vaccinated players test positive for COVID in the College World Series (after winning the first game against Vanderbilt), and now this.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 12-28-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #2134
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Chip Kelly at the press conference yesterday. "If we have 11 players, we'll play."

You made a brave noise, Chip, but when push came to shove, you decided not to play, although you had plenty of players to field a legal roster. You just didn't want to have to move a linebacker to one of your DT slots.

Unfortunate year for NC State athletics. First, they get fucked over when four vaccinated players test positive for COVID in the College World Series (after winning the first game against Vanderbilt), and now this.

Imagine thinking this call was in the hands of a football coach...lol

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-28-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #2135
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

380 pound touchdown just happened in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #2136
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Imagine thinking this call was in the hands of a football coach...lol

Nah it wasnt Kyle, but the administration sure made him look like a jackass. Weird that all of these positive cases happened the day of the game. Lots of people spent money to put this event on/attend/etc. Sucks they got a "sorry, not sorry".
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #2137
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Nah it wasnt Kyle, but the administration sure made him look like a jackass. Weird that all of these positive cases happened the day of the game. Lots of people spent money to put this event on/attend/etc. Sucks they got a "sorry, not sorry".

UCLA has had positive cases for the past few days. It's not a surprise that it has spread.

Yes, a lot of people have spent money, but as far as I can tell, spending money on travel during a pandemic is certainly buyer beware. But they still get to spend time in San Diego. It's not like the fans are stuck in Texas or Wisconsin in a December vacation.

Nobody wins in the time of COVID, least of all the SEC

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-28-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:14 PM   #2138
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
UCLA has had positive cases for the past few days. It's not a surprise that it has spread.

I think much of the outrage coming from NC State's side acknowledges that fact, and with that being known, UCLA waited until five hours before kickoff to withdraw from the game, giving NC State zero chance to come up with a "Plan B" like some other schools have done. When you juxtapose that with Kelly's press conference yesterday, it's not a good look.

It's also funny listening to the Twitter whining of some UCLA fans about how their day was wasted making the grueling two hour drive down to San Diego. Never mind the NC State fans who had to travel almost 3,000 miles at significant expense to attend. Never mind the NC State players and coaches who had to leave home and give up Christmas to travel cross-country and prepare for this game.

One of the Wolfpack players, Aaron McLaughlin, summed it up pretty well. “Our team has been away from family and friends for a month prepping for this. We have been here for 5 days practicing, we’re in a hotel for Christmas just for it to be canceled 5 hours before kickoff? We deserve better. At this point it’s not the game, it’s the messed up holidays for literally every single person involved in this, on both ends. UCLA and N.C. State.”

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 12-28-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:51 AM   #2139
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I think much of the outrage coming from NC State's side acknowledges that fact, and with that being known, UCLA waited until five hours before kickoff to withdraw from the game, giving NC State zero chance to come up with a "Plan B" like some other schools have done. When you juxtapose that with Kelly's press conference yesterday, it's not a good look.

It's also funny listening to the Twitter whining of some UCLA fans about how their day was wasted making the grueling two hour drive down to San Diego. Never mind the NC State fans who had to travel almost 3,000 miles at significant expense to attend. Never mind the NC State players and coaches who had to leave home and give up Christmas to travel cross-country and prepare for this game.

One of the Wolfpack players, Aaron McLaughlin, summed it up pretty well. “Our team has been away from family and friends for a month prepping for this. We have been here for 5 days practicing, we’re in a hotel for Christmas just for it to be canceled 5 hours before kickoff? We deserve better. At this point it’s not the game, it’s the messed up holidays for literally every single person involved in this, on both ends. UCLA and N.C. State.”

Spending two seconds looking online would have netted the NC State program the information that UCLA was experiencing COVID issues starting last Friday. UCLA met every protocol safely until this morning. There is only Plan B's when other teams experience cancellations. Like the other games that have been cancelled. If there is another game cancelled in the coming days, NC State will ave it's plan B. Nobody else has Plan B's, it's just worked out that way.

It's neither parties fault this game was cancelled. Everyone certainly deserves better, but COVID took away this game, not UCLA.

And the drive to SD is a bitch in the rain.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:51 AM   #2140
MrBug708
Head Coach

The big winner in all these cancellations is Central Michigan. Going from a $350K payout to $4.5 million Sun Bowl payout.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:26 AM   #2141
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW the SEC is 0-4 in bowl games to date.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #2142
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Spending two seconds looking online would have netted the NC State program the information that UCLA was experiencing COVID issues starting last Friday. UCLA met every protocol safely until this morning. There is only Plan B's when other teams experience cancellations. Like the other games that have been cancelled. If there is another game cancelled in the coming days, NC State will ave it's plan B. Nobody else has Plan B's, it's just worked out that way.

It's neither parties fault this game was cancelled. Everyone certainly deserves better, but COVID took away this game, not UCLA.

And the drive to SD is a bitch in the rain.

If you followed ACC football at all, you would know that NC State's head coach is the whiniest bitch in the conference, by far. No one likes him, including many State fans.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #2143
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
FWIW the SEC is 0-4 in bowl games to date.

There's fun with the transitive property to be had here. Alabama barely beat Auburn and should have lost, Auburn lost to Houston, Cincinatti handled Houston, so Cincinatti should beat Alabama.

Ofc that's not how college football works, but for people who like to focus soley on single-game outcomes to judge a team, there it is.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #2144
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If you followed ACC football at all, you would know that NC State's head coach is the whiniest bitch in the conference, by far. No one likes him, including many State fans.

I've learned that, but I suspect he's winning them over by his comments in the press about the whole situation
Old 12-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #2145
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Old 12-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #2146
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I've learned that, but I suspect he's winning them over by his comments in the press about the whole situation

I hope he stays there for 50 years, because this will be their highlight, the year they couldn't beat Wake Forest to make the ACC title game and won a bowl by forfeit.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:48 AM   #2147
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Eh, that’s a debatable point. There’s another coach just down the road from Raleigh that blamed the media for his team’s 6-6 record this year, stating that they gave people unrealistic expectations.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #2148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm just glad to see that the Holiday did the right thing and awarded the trophy.

This "no contest" bullshit needs to stop, period, in cases where only one team is unavailable/unwilling to play. That's a forfeit and should have always been counted as such.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #2149
Butter
Coordinator

I thought your ilk was against meaningless trophies
Old 12-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #2150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought your ilk was against meaningless trophies

Since the NCAA can't seem to get that simple thing right, the trophy was at least a gesture toward acknowledging the situation. The "L" belongs on those records

I lobbied loudly for that (forfeits not n/c) to be policy in high school football here for two seasons, no reason I'd be inclined differently at other levels (aside from simply being less interested)