Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #301
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is what I come back to when I think of teams talking themselves into drafting a QB in the first round because they need one: 2011 NFL Draft - Wikipedia

Locker, Gabbert, Ponder.

As someone whose team might very well overdraft one of the QBs this year, I am somewhat petrified.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-08-2022 at 08:41 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:47 AM   #302
JPhillips
General Manager

I was more suggesting that the AFC teams that are a QB away need to do whatever it takes to trade for Rogers, Wilson, Murray, maybe even Cousins. I don't think there's a way to compete in the AFC for the next decade without a top QB, so the choice is either to do what it takes to compete now, start dismantling so draft position is favorable for a QB over the next couple of years, or be content with a ceiling of reaching the playoffs and losing to one of the franchise QBs.

Now in the NFC, everybody has a chance. There's a possibility that the top three QBs next year are Dak, Cousins, and Stafford. If that's the case, why not the Vikings in the Super Bowl?
Old 02-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #303
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This is what I come back to when I think of teams talking themselves into drafting a QB in the first round because they need one: 2011 NFL Draft - Wikipedia

Locker, Gabbert, Ponder.

As someone whose team might very well overdraft one of the QBs this year, I am somewhat petrified.

Yes, this feels exactly like that kind of year. And the advent of analytics has made this feel ever more present, as each team now has a couple of quants from Yale sitting in the corner muttering "there's no empirical justification to take the pro-bowl tackle or edge rusher or cornerback, just roll the dice on your top-rated quarterback" or whatever. Setting aside Cam Newton, and my own still-satisfying mention of Jimmy Claussen as "pocket lint," this is very much the draft scenario I fear a bit for the teams who get carried away. Just look at all the Pro Bowl coloration for the top half of that draft, basically every player except the reached-for quarterbacks.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:49 AM   #304
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Locker, Gabbert, Ponder.

As an FSU fan, you can add EJ Manuel to this list (mid-1st round by the Bills). I think Ponder could have been a Kirk Cousins type guy if taken in a round where he wasn't forced to show he was THE GUY from day 1 with the pressure of being that highly drafted.

As a Broncos fan, I'd also add Paxton Lynch, although admittedly he was near the end of the 1st round as I recall. But, as I also recall, the Broncos traded up to get him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #305
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The more I study the numbers, the less I feel I know. There's a gold mine in the NextGen stats, however, and every team has access to a lot more than the public has. That's where the analytics is these days.

The problem is that, like most complex worlds with millions of variables, using their insights for the general good is easier said than done.

Football is a chess match on a board that naturally tilts towards the end zone and pieces are largely interchangable. What players can do, what they're told to do and what they decide to do are three separate, but inter-related variables.

And it's up to the quarterback to sort that all out and make good decisions. So you have to decide whether you want the best decision-maker, or someone who can buy some more time before making a decision, or someone who can do more things with his arm - and obviously some combination of all three.

How do you scout that? At the college level, which plays a lot slower, a guy like Johnny Manziel can do all three things very well. At the next level, not so much. Or you get a guy like Tom Brady, who has decent arm strength, decent accuracy, can't buy you much time but has decent pocket awareness, but almost never makes a bad decision. That last skill is difficult to assess unless you're in his college coach's head.

You move your team 250 yards in 60 plays, and you've probably failed miserably. But 350 yards in 60 plays, you're doing well. How does that work and where does the quarterback figure in all of that?

The secret of success might be in discovering that there are some quarterbacks who would thrive with your coach but have never been given the keys to the car. As Brady said recently, if not for the tuck rule, it's entirely possible he might never have done much of anything in the NFL.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:11 PM   #306
sabotai
General Manager

Looks like the Giants are hiring Wink Martindale as their DC.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #307
molson
General Manager

I can't believe there's two semi-famous people named "Wink Martindale".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #308
Ksyrup

I just assumed the DC got his nickname because his last name is Martindale and Wink was a famous game show host. You know, most of these things are not all that original.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #309
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I just assumed the DC got his nickname because his last name is Martindale and Wink was a famous game show host. You know, most of these things are not all that original.
And Wikipedia confirms.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #310
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hey, remember way back like a week ago when multiple coaches were talking about how they were paid money to lose games? And that's all just disappeared now?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #311
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Hey, remember way back like a week ago when multiple coaches were talking about how they were paid money to lose games? And that's all just disappeared now?

SI

I would argue that paid and offered is a pretty key difference.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #312
bhlloy
Coordinator

Another OC hired as an HC who has never called plays or come up with his own scheme in his life, but remember Bienemy can’t be given any credit for that Chiefs offense y’all.

At some point we might as well face the fact that NFL owners like hiring well groomed young white dudes who they would just love to be their son in laws.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:18 AM   #313
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Crazy Stat I just saw. Alabama has only had one number one pick in the NFL draft, and it was in 1948. Joe Namath was picked also a number one pick, but that was for the AFL Jets before the merger. As many first round picks they have had iver the decades, that seems hard to believe.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:23 AM   #314
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah would have expected a lot more than that
Old 02-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #315
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints end up hiring their DC as Head Coach and then keeping their OC as OC.

They did legit searches on both, so I don't think it was a foregone conclusion. But after a full search, they decided to stay with what they were comfortable with.

They are going to try to run Payton's team without Payton and without a QB.

I am . . . skeptical.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #316
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Saints end up hiring their DC as Head Coach and then keeping their OC as OC.

They did legit searches on both, so I don't think it was a foregone conclusion. But after a full search, they decided to stay with what they were comfortable with.

They are going to try to run Payton's team without Payton and without a QB.

I am . . . skeptical.

i see mocks of them taking Matt Corral, not sold on that at all as the answer next year. Best bet is probably to try and resign Winston and look to get a franchise QB next year, when it is a stronger class.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #317
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
i see mocks of them taking Matt Corral, not sold on that at all as the answer next year. Best bet is probably to try and resign Winston and look to get a franchise QB next year, when it is a stronger class.

If there was ever a year for a team to tank, this would be the one for New Orleans.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:07 PM   #318
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

That's why you cut a media deal with every major outlet.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:50 AM   #319
QuikSand
lolzcat

Cannot vouch for the authenticity, but I do love this reaction:

Scott Barrett on Twitter: "Marquise Brown is related to Antonio Brown: CONFIRMED… "
Old 02-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #320
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Not surprised. If one can achieve enough reknown to meaningfully monetize one's social media, and then is willing to keep a hustle going to grow that audience (and I suspect most athletes who make it to pro level have enough built-in hustle), it wouldn't be too hard to eclipse the average NFL annual salary (~800K) and certainly it could be kept going for longer than the average NFL career (3.3 years). Without all the negative health consequences (depending on your choice of social media activity, of course).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #321
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Personally, I'd probably prefer the constant physical pounding of pro-football to the constant mental/emotional pummeling of pro social media.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #322
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait for the video of Marquise Brown restoring a pair of old scissors.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #323
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I can't wait for the video of Marquise Brown restoring a pair of old scissors.

This is an underrated comment

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #324
miami_fan
Coordinator

Steelers hire Brian Flores as senior defensive assistant/linebackers coach - ProFootballTalk
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #325
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

NFL to Partner With XFL on Football Research, Data Sharing

I'm actually impressed that the XFL got the NFL to acknowledge that it exists.

ETA:

The USFL draft is tomorrow. Anyone interested? I'll probably have it streaming in the background.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-21-2022 at 10:39 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:01 PM   #326
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The Washington Post did a poll and found fans of the ... whatever you call them ... would prefer the team remain as WFT compared to the options of the Commander name or reverting to the Redskins name.

That's ... pretty bad.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #327
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And the first pick of the of USFL draft is .......... Shae Patterson!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #328
QuikSand
lolzcat

From Kyler Murray's agent:

...and he is absolutely correct, sadly.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #329
sabotai
General Manager

Aaron Rodgers is due to have a cap hit of $46.6m this season, which is 22.2% of the cap.

Tom Brady's highest cap hit (as a percentage of the cap): 13.6% (2006)
Drew Brees: 16.4% (2015)
Matt Ryan: 15.0% (2016) - Due 23.4% of the cap next season
Ben Roethlisberger: 15.3% (2016)
Aaron Rodgers: 14.9% (2019, 2021) - Due 22.2% next season
Payton Manning: 20.5% (2003)
Matthew Stafford: 15.8% (2019)
Philip Rivers: 14.9% (2015)

IMO, committing 23%+ of your cap every single year for a QB, no matter how important they are, is way too much. Teams have a hard enough time filling a roster with talent giving 15-20% to a QB.

EDIT: The Packers are already projected to be $30m over the cap for next season as it is.

Last edited by sabotai : 02-27-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #330
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Rams went with a model of valuing veteran players at premium positions over first round picks. And they won the Super Bowl.

It will be interesting to see if any teams/owners decide to copy that model.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:31 AM   #331
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Aaron Rodgers is due to have a cap hit of $46.6m this season, which is 22.2% of the cap.

Tom Brady's highest cap hit (as a percentage of the cap): 13.6% (2006)
Drew Brees: 16.4% (2015)
Matt Ryan: 15.0% (2016) - Due 23.4% of the cap next season
Ben Roethlisberger: 15.3% (2016)
Aaron Rodgers: 14.9% (2019, 2021) - Due 22.2% next season
Payton Manning: 20.5% (2003)
Matthew Stafford: 15.8% (2019)
Philip Rivers: 14.9% (2015)

IMO, committing 23%+ of your cap every single year for a QB, no matter how important they are, is way too much. Teams have a hard enough time filling a roster with talent giving 15-20% to a QB.

EDIT: The Packers are already projected to be $30m over the cap for next season as it is.
Matt Ryan's cap hit will be higher at $48.6 mil. On a team full of holes.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #332
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
IMO, committing 23%+ of your cap every single year for a QB, no matter how important they are, is way too much.

Sure, in a generic situation, this holds up. But I feel we could (with a little research) put together the "what could the Packers afford with the $35m difference between Rodgers' request and the $15m they'd have to pay for a credible starter?" and it would not be a slam dunk.

Like, if that bundle was framed as: you either have slightly-below-replacement players at their positions to afford the 2x defending league MVP QB, or you get to have (off the top of my head) LB Campbell, CB Douglass, WR Valdez Scantling, and C Lindsley.

If that's the actual math... is it an absolute no brainer that the QB is too expensive, because he costs you that tier of your roster? And yes, this is where the Rams' current blueprint comes into play, not a precise parallel, but the same logic scaled to fit Donald, Ramsey, and now Stafford.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #333
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Saints at the end of Brees' career are a good parallel. You can push cap problems into the future. The Saints had an aging HOF QB. They did the right thing by paying him and keeping a core around him by pushing the cap hits into the future with extensions and bonuses.

The Packers should totally do the same.

It didn't "work "for the Saints in that they did not win a Super Bowl. But it did "work" in that they were a top seed during the end of Brees' window. A few random bounces here and there, and they could have won a Super Bowl. And, yeah, I expect the next few years for the Saints to be painful. But it was still worth taking that chance.

In a diluted NFC, the Packers would be stupid (IMO) to not go YOLO and (1) pay Rogers, (2) keep the core around him, and (3) plan a bottom-out reset where they eat an NFL-record in dead money in, like, 2025 or something.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-28-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #334
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think if I were calling the shots for GB, I'd be on that plan for exactly that logic.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #335
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Agreed on all of this.

Aaron Rodgers remains the biggest story for any fan of Detroit, Chicago or Minnesota. If he stays, Green Bay wins the division and you don't need to worry about much else, other than maybe trying to compete for a Wild Card spot at best. If Rodgers leaves, the division is pretty wide open and any could possibly take it... Even the Lions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #336
JPhillips
General Manager

In the NFC I don't see how you don't take a shot if you have a QB. And from Rodgers' perspective, where would he have a better shot of both team and personal accolades than in Green Bay? He should want nothing to do with moving to the AFC and having to compete with all of that under-30 QB talent.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #337
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
In a diluted NFC, the Packers would be stupid (IMO) to not go YOLO and (1) pay Rogers, (2) keep the core around him, and (3) plan a bottom-out reset where they eat an NFL-record in dead money in, like, 2025 or something.

I'm not saying the Packers shouldn't do this. I am saying that the numbers coming out at "more than $50m per year" is unrealistic.

And as far as Brees goes, his dead money hit in 2021 was $11.15m and his dead money hot in 2022 will be $11.5m. Those aren't crazy high numbers (roughly 5-6% of the cap). I don't think they YOLO'ed all that much.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #338
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I want to like Dan Campbell. But what the fuck, man.

edit--apparently this is parody. Which is good. Because, as noted, I want to like Dan Campbell.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-05-2022 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #339
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I want to like Dan Campbell. But what the fuck, man.

He should've told Dan Campbell to shove it.

What's the worst that could happen? You don't get drafted by the Lions?
Old 03-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #340
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
He should've told Dan Campbell to shove it.

What's the worst that could happen? You don't get drafted by the Lions?

Wouldn't the worst thing that could happen be that he would get drafted by the Lions?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #341
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

What the fuck, Dan Campbell? I want to like him, too, but that’s some idiotic nonsense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #342
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm starting to get Mike Singeltary vibes with Dan Campbell. A hard nosed, quotable coach that the media loves. But when you don't start winning, you start dropping your pants around your ankles at halftime to make a point.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #343
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"You throw the ball real good kid, unfortunately you failed both the dairy and cannibalism portions of our combine."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:24 PM   #344
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The next step is to ask someone if their mom is a prostitute
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #345
cuervo72
Head Coach

Woe to the recruit with a peanut allergy.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:18 PM   #346
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The next step is to ask someone if their mom is a prostitute

The 2022 version of this question would be to ask if their mom has an Onlyfans account.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-03-2022, 09:57 PM   #347
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If your franchise has but one playoff win in the last 64 seasons, I guess you're open to new ideas. But they might want to ditch the silver uniform pants they've used for decades.

ETA, trying to read about this, I think it was a joke that's kind of gone viral on Twitter. Not a bad one. The best ones are just about on the edge of believable.

Last edited by Solecismic : 03-03-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #348
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
If your franchise has but one playoff win in the last 64 seasons, I guess you're open to new ideas. But they might want to ditch the silver uniform pants they've used for decades.

ETA, trying to read about this, I think it was a joke that's kind of gone viral on Twitter. Not a bad one. The best ones are just about on the edge of believable.

Playing without pants would be suitable for this franchise.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #349
Ksyrup

"Jump out this window, I want to see if you can land on your feet."
Old 03-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #350
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess the NFL gets some credit for this?

Judge approves fix to stem racial bias in NFL's $1B concussion deal