Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #401
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
geez steam is really lame. They are basically forbidding anyone from even talking about the war. Locking everty thread that starts and forbidding ANY political conversation.
Is that lame, though? It is gaming platform, not an open discussion forum. It is not like there aren't thousands of other places to discuss the war.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #402
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agree, I get enough of the war through conventional sources and general discussion boards, it's nice to go to some places where it isn't at the forefront of discussion so you can get away from it for brief periods.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #403
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Poutine Restaurant Chain Forced to Explain It Has No Connection with Putin

I've always wanted to try poutine.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #404
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Me, too. Sounds yummy.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #405
tarcone
Coordinator

This Zelenskyy dude is good, really good.

He is a strong leader.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #406
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This Zelenskyy dude is good, really good.

He is a strong leader.

If Ukraine survives, he'll definitely win re-election. Their version of George Washington.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:27 PM   #407
Edward64
Head Coach

Another general down.

Unsure of the circumstances, I'm sure it'll come out after the war. But in a way, I guess it shows Russian generals aren't afraid to get up close to the action.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/07/russ...r-kharkiv.html
Quote:
Ukraine’s defense intelligence agency said Monday that its country’s forces had killed Russian Army Major General Vitaly Gerasimov, and that other senior Russian Army officers “were also killed or wounded” in action near the city of Kharkiv.

Gerasimov was identified by the intelligence agency as the chief of staff and first deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army.

He previously participated in the second Chechen war, and Russian military actions in Syria, according to the agency’s post announcing his demise.
There was also a Lt. Col captured as POW that talked pretty liberally. I get talking if you get tortured but this guy doesn't look tortured.

Captured Russian officer apologizes to Ukraine for 'genocide'
Quote:
A Russian commander captured by Ukraine condemned Moscow’s “genocide” invasion — saying in a remarkable televised statement that the troops were duped into believing Kyiv had been overthrown by Nazis and needed liberating.

National Guard Lt. Col. Astakhov Dmitry Mikhailovich, who was captured along with two other soldiers, said he had been told they were being sent to help Ukraine because it was “dominated by a fascist regime” and that “nationalists and Nazis had seized power.”
Old 03-07-2022, 10:36 PM   #408
kingfc22
Head Coach

Propaganda is one hell of a drug re: the Lt Col.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:20 AM   #409
GrantDawg

Old 03-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #410
GrantDawg

McDonald's is closing 850 stores in Russia. A couple of days without whatever the Russian equivalent of a Big Mac is, Putin will definitely be forced out. Fatty's rise up!
Old 03-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #411
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I'm very suspicious of that number. That would be more foreign fighters than in the entirety of the Spanish Civil War and they would have gotten to Ukraine in just a week.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #412
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm very suspicious of that number. That would be more foreign fighters than in the entirety of the Spanish Civil War and they would have gotten to Ukraine in just a week.

Yeah, that is an eye popping number, and given the logistics I don't see it. Maybe that many inquiries, but hard to believe that many boots on the ground. Of course that could just be for the eyes of Russians, hoping to increase resistance to the war at home.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #413
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
McDonald's is closing 850 stores in Russia. A couple of days without whatever the Russian equivalent of a Big Mac is, Putin will definitely be forced out. Fatty's rise up!

I disagree with this. We need to encourage these McDs to put more salt and fat into the food so that more Russians are unfit for fighting due to health conditions.

Obesity may be the end to war in the future.

In the US 71% of teenagers are unfit to serve due to health conditions.

Chinese generals say their teens are too fat and masturbate too much.

Fat = Peace
Old 03-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #414
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

FYI: When we were in Russia in 2013 (2014?), we went to the famous McDonalds in Moscow on Tverskaya. And you know how there are stories about oddball regional things like the McLobster - we were wanting the see what the Russian equivalent of that was. But, nope - the menu was practically identical to the states. They had like a couple of extra sauces for McNuggets (I remember there was some curry-tasting sauce) and, yeah, the Royale vs Quarter Pounder thing is there, too. I had a Royale with cheese and some McNuggets, iirc. But, basically, same menu as in the states, which was kindof disappointing, honestly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #415
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Poland transfers MiG fighters to the U.S. as Ukraine asks for help - POLITICO

Poland is handing over 28 MiGs to the US and we're going to backfill with F-16s. Gee... I wonder where those MiGs are going to end up.

As mentioned before, this is a win/win for Poland. They get newer jets on the cheap/free and the US breaks out its checkbook to hand Ukraine some planes.

Bulgaria and Slovakia have MiGs, as well, but have not shown a willingness to do the same:
BREAKING:

Poland has agreed to donate all its 28 MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine via USA.

Poland calls now calls on other NATO members with Soviet era jets to do the same.

Bulgaria has 13 MiG-29s
Slovakia has 11 MiG 29s

Bulgaria also has 8 Sukhoi Su-25 attack aircraft.

�������� pic.twitter.com/ZgWVVr6dGp
— Visegrád 24 (@visegrad24) March 8, 2022

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #416
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
FYI: When we were in Russia in 2013 (2014?), we went to the famous McDonalds in Moscow on Tverskaya. And you know how there are stories about oddball regional things like the McLobster - we were wanting the see what the Russian equivalent of that was. But, nope - the menu was practically identical to the states. They had like a couple of extra sauces for McNuggets (I remember there was some curry-tasting sauce) and, yeah, the Royale vs Quarter Pounder thing is there, too. I had a Royale with cheese and some McNuggets, iirc. But, basically, same menu as in the states, which was kindof disappointing, honestly.

SI

The best KFC I've ever had was in Fuling, China. It looked like regular KFC, but was Szechuan spicy and delicious. It tasted so much better than American KFC.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #417
Thomkal
Head Coach

A way we can all help the people of Ukraine is by spending a minimum of $10

at itch.io on its Bundle for Ukraine. It contains almost 1000 assorted title-games, comics, books, and more from over 700 creators.

Now none of these games are from top companies, but in looking through some there are definitely some you will recognize/have played already. And a lot to discover after that:

Bundle for Ukraine by Necrosoft Games and 732 others - itch.io
Old 03-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #418
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just did a 30 second look through that list and Hidden Folks and Death & Taxes are worth $10 alone.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #419
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
A way we can all help the people of Ukraine is by spending a minimum of $10

at itch.io on its Bundle for Ukraine. It contains almost 1000 assorted title-games, comics, books, and more from over 700 creators.

Now none of these games are from top companies, but in looking through some there are definitely some you will recognize/have played already. And a lot to discover after that:

Bundle for Ukraine by Necrosoft Games and 732 others - itch.io

I bought a similar bundle last year for a different cause. Well worth the money.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-08-2022 at 03:04 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #420
Edward64
Head Coach

So apparently Poland will transfer their Migs to the US, and then the US can get it to Ukraine. Something like 28 Migs according to Reddit.

Not sure how the transfer to Ukraine will work. Maybe we fly Migs to a US base in Europe, Ukrainian pilots go there, and fly really low to avoid detection?

National fighter jet plane laundering scheme. Need to get the Byrde's to advise here.

More info. Doesn't seem that we've agreed to it but got to believe we'll make it happen.

Poland offers MiG fighters to the U.S. as Ukraine asks for help - POLITICO
Quote:
Poland’s announcement appeared to catch the Biden administration off guard. Spokespeople with the U.S. European Command and the State Department declined to comment. Victoria Nuland, undersecretary of State for political affairs, told lawmakers on Tuesday afternoon that this “was a surprise move by the Poles.”

“I saw that announcement by the government of Poland as I was literally driving here today,” she told members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. “To my knowledge, it wasn’t pre-consulted with us that they planned to give these planes to us. But as you know, we have been having consultations with them for a couple of days now about this request from the Ukrainians to receive their aircraft and were they to donate them, whether we would be able to help support backfill in their own security needs.”

A Pentagon official emailed that “we’ve seen the Polish government’s announcement,” adding, “we have nothing to offer at this time.”

The airspace over Ukraine is still contested, a senior Defense Department official told reporters at the Pentagon Tuesday, with neither the Ukrainians nor the Russians owning the sky.
Quote:
Poland would most likely receive used American F-16 fighter planes in return for giving up its MiG-29s.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-08-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #421
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Invasion of Ukraine

/am I a joke to you/ meme?

SI

Old 03-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #422
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Just did a 30 second look through that list and Hidden Folks and Death & Taxes are worth $10 alone.

Is "Thirsty Sword Lesbians" any good?
Old 03-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #423
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Oh sorry.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #424
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Oh sorry.

No worries - just giving you a little grief, hence the smiley

SI

Old 03-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #425
Ksyrup

Quote:

That one is pretty high up in the bundle queue for some reason.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #426
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's basically She-Ra the RPG, (and by that, I mean the new show), focusing a lot on the relationships (not that KIND) between characters, even villains and heroes.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #427
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The best KFC I've ever had was in Fuling, China. It looked like regular KFC, but was Szechuan spicy and delicious. It tasted so much better than American KFC.

KFC in Germany was much better than the US version as well. The Pizza Hut I went to in Germany was legitimately outstanding pizza. One of the best I've ever had.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #428
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Please tell me we aren't going to bungle this plane deal (again). Find some creative way to make it happen. History's not going to remember what BS story you made up to make it happen and this isn't going to move Putin's needle on his next move. He's going to do what he's going to do, mostly independent of our actions. But history will remember if you had a way to help and failed to do so.

EDIT: I also am totally open to the idea that it's just a smokescreen for the US doing it and taking the heat. I mean, VP Harris is on her way to Poland right now.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:40 PM   #429
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
KFC in Germany was much better than the US version as well. The Pizza Hut I went to in Germany was legitimately outstanding pizza. One of the best I've ever had.

I wonder if it has to do with Europe having MUCH stricter regulations surrounding what chemicals can go into food.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #430
Groundhog
Coordinator

I just realised I've had McDonald's in every country I've ever visited that has stores EXCEPT the US. Strange. Japan was my favourite so far, teriyaki chicken burger.

Love what Ukraine are doing with the Russian POWs too, genius move.

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-09-2022 at 12:06 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:04 PM   #431
RainMaker
General Manager

When I got to Bahrain, I ate so much McDonalds the first month. They had this sandwich in a pita that was actually pretty good. Biggest knock was they didn't really use ketchup but BBQ sauce instead.

Like 90% of their business was American folks, so I think they just thought we loved BBQ.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #432
Edward64
Head Coach

Easy for me as an armchair general, but do wonder if, instead of saying no boots on the ground in Ukraine, maybe say we are going to send boots on the ground in western Ukraine to establish a safe zone for non-combatants & humanitarian purposes.

In addition to truly protecting non-combatants, this would have allowed a part of Ukraine to remain Ukrainian in the worse case of a successful blitzkrieg.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:29 AM   #433
Edward64
Head Coach

From DailyMail so take it FWIW.

Supposedly long car line to get last of McDonalds in Russia. There's a video that pans around.

More of a BK and CFA guy, but yeah, I can understand trying to get a taste of a Big Mac (and special sauce) knowing it'll be a while before I get another chance.

Moscow McDonald's is swamped with customers before the chain closes across Russia | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-09-2022 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:34 AM   #434
Ksyrup

The only thing I've eaten at McDs in the past decade is breakfast or an occasional apple pie when we stop for a pee break on drives and everyone else gets a snack. I haven't been to Burger King in probably 2 decades at least. They opened a brand new one in our town about a decade ago and I've never been.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:41 AM   #435
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wonder if it has to do with Europe having MUCH stricter regulations surrounding what chemicals can go into food.

I think part of it is they don't have fast food or delivery so ingrained into their society. Pizza hut was strictly a sit down place. KFC was a sit down place that you could get food to go. So these places aren't in a constant rush to get food out as fast as possible.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I do think it plays a big role in the overall quality.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #436
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by
But history will remember if you had a start WW III and did so

Fixed that for you.

If Poland wants to give them planes, by all means, give them planes.

For the U.S. to be conned into being the source would be the single dumbest move in the history of the planet.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #437
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I just realised I've had McDonald's in every country I've ever visited that has stores EXCEPT the US. Strange. Japan was my favourite so far, teriyaki chicken burger.

I went to Jamaica and they have no McDonald's because McDonald's refused to use local meat. They have several KFC's, which were insanely popular. The line of cars was always insanely long when I was there.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:27 PM   #438
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fixed that for you.

If Poland wants to give them planes, by all means, give them planes.

For the U.S. to be conned into being the source would be the single dumbest move in the history of the planet.

There are lots of ways to do this that don't involve just flying them over from Germany, which was a really stupid plan.

SI

Old 03-09-2022, 12:28 PM   #439
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 03-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #440
Flasch186
Coordinator

Invasion of Ukraine

I think we’re closer to ww3 than you know.

If the images and video coming out get more deplorable you could see a real public outcry to do “something” and our attempts, whether right or wrong, to toe the line increases the chances of a ‘mistakes’ being made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-09-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:07 PM   #441
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I think we’re closer to ww3 than you know.

If the images and video coming out get more deplorable you could see a real public outcry to do “something” and our attempts, whether right or wrong, to toe the line increases the chances of a ‘mistakes’ being made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a really good chance we're already in what the history books will call WW3. I doubt that people living in October 1939 really thought they were in WW2, but a regional European war. But it's widely regarded WW2 starts with Germany invades Poland.

The mostly likely way that doesn't happen is, of course, if Russia is rolled back and/or Putin killed. If Russia succeeds in rolling over Ukraine, maybe this isn't actively WW3, but it's probably akin to the 1938 and 1939 runup with Germany annexing Austria, et al. If not, then we'll be talking about Georgia and Crimea as those things.

It's also why I don't think it matters all that much what the US does with regards to, say, the MiGs from Poland. The die is already cast - we don't have a part to play in this in terms of "is Putin/isn't Putin" going to do something. He already knows what his limits and plans are. It's clear that the optics of it don't matter to him. At most, it might sway China a little one way or another with regards to what they are going to do but I bet they already know most of their plans, too. If the US, say, did something unpredictable like drop marines on the ground in western Ukraine and lights up the sky with F-16s - ok, then everyone re-calibrates. But I'm sure Russia already has already assessed what they think everyone is going to do and their plan is based on that. China, too. So long as we're only doing half measures like economic sanctions and supplying arms but not troops, the plans are no different.

Also, remember this, too, when there's some story in a month about how some American or German or French or Ukrainian did something in a month - it's a pretext as the plan has already likely been made.

SI

Old 03-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #442
bhlloy
Coordinator

The next flashpoint is when an active serviceman from a NATO country among the 40k volunteers who have allegedly gone to Ukraine gets captured or killed and that gets used for an escalation. That is absolutely a story that Putin has written and is ready to use.

Just waiting to see which spark lights all the touch paper that has been left lying around at this point. Putin knows he has no endgame at this point except the nuclear option - we can only hope he’s thinking figuratively rather than literally
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #443
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the best hope is people in the country rise up. The sanctions don't really impact the oligarchs or Putin personally, but they do mess with the rest of the country.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #444
bhlloy
Coordinator

I basically have no hope of that happening when you hear what the average Russian on the street is hearing. If there’s one thing Putin and his circle hasn’t forgotten from the Soviet days it’s how to shut out the outside world and run an effective propaganda campaign.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #445
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If there’s one thing Putin and his circle hasn’t forgotten from the Soviet days it’s how to shut out the outside world and run an effective propaganda campaign.

... with a little help from their friends.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #446
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Love what Ukraine are doing with the Russian POWs too, genius move.

The last big mac I had was an abomination. I doubt I'll ever eat another one.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #447
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The Chinese media referenced the Azov in Hong Kong yesterday.

That's a nice rabbit hole to live in for a while. But it explains where Xi is right now, and that he's going to continue to allow Putin to do this - even as the invasion becomes more and more barbaric every day.

Apparently, members of Azov photographed themselves in Hong Kong during the protests a few years ago. I don't think there's any evidence they were there by invitation, or that they participated in any way. I could be wrong. They say it was "protest tourism," which actually makes some sense. There might even be a connection to Charlottesville in there, if you're interested in some high-level cunicular activity.

Much is made of Azov's official role as part of Ukraine's National Guard, involved in the battles in eastern Ukraine. It doesn't have all that much influence in Ukraine (the one political party that would support it gets all of 2% of the national vote), but it's there and there's no mistaking the imagery - this is a neo-Nazi group rather than a bunch of tattooed soccer fans.

Putin apparently thinks, or finds it convenient to connect, the genesis of Azov to the US-leaning group that overthrew the Russian-friendly government in the Maidan uprising of 2014. Putin refers to this quite negatively in his rambling essay from last year. He says the US sponsored this, which is possible. He invaded Crimea the next day and the new government was much more pro-US.

That Xi is completely on board and references the same group as Putin did... this isn't going away easily and it's not going away with more sanctions.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #448
Edward64
Head Coach

We are in an economic, technological, political (e.g. New Silk Road), and a military influence war with China right now. Trump pushed the issue and I agree it needed to be done. Before Trump, all we got was lip service from all previous administrations. Biden is continuing the Trump strategy albeit not as much in your face.

I read about Xi returning to Iowa (?) to visit the American family that he got to know during his college years here. I remember thinking having Xi as premier would be great as he's experienced US culture and understands us (at least better than other Chinese premiers).

Because he is the Chinese Premier, he is (understandably) vested in growing China economically, technologically, politically & militarily at all cost and at the expense of other countries. It is not a zero sum game (or pie) but we are at the stage where (generally) a +++ for China is a -- for the US.

Although I would love a Matt Damon "The Martian" kumbaya moment, I think we know it is highly unlikely. Forget trying to appease China. The US just has to get its house in order and do what is necessary to out-compete China.

If I was a senior advisor to future Presidents, I would advise
  1. Future administrations follow the Trump, Biden approach. Specifics may differ but overall recognition we are in a "war" is the correct one. Recognize that China-Russia alliance is what we need to counter. Recognize that China-Russia-India alliance will be very bad, we need to convince India to not be as neutral in the future
  2. Identify strategic areas where we are vulnerable to China in raw materials, manufacturing & technology and remediate it. Globalization with China at the core is dead, but certainly spread the wealth to other currently more friendly and reliable nations
  3. Do the brain drain thing. Encourage well educated Chinese to immigrate to US. Do not allow dual citizenship (from the US point of view). It's to the point where I would say allow dual citizenship for all current countries we have agreements with but call out & strip that privilege for Chinese immigrants. No, this isn't racist
  4. Continue to develop "the Quad" in Asia. India is a tough one but India would welcome much more US commitment (have to drop what's left of our commitment to Pakistan). Eventually, add other Asian countries to the Quad (although I suspect this would require a good deal of US economic and military investment to those countries)
  5. Grow military footprint and relationships with friendlier Asian & Oceana countries. I would call out Vietnam as a good target, they do not like China that much
  6. Somehow, not sure how, increase the chance of a Chinese market meltdown (maybe enroll George Soros to the cause? )
etc.

This will take $ and long term commitment, not just 4 or 8 years of a single Presidency.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-09-2022 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:32 AM   #449
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I definitely agree that appeasing China isn't a good idea, but we've been doing that for decades and we're at the point where economically the consequences of not continuing to do so would not be tenable politically. Suffice to say they're far worse than gas prices going up a moderate amount. Xi operates as if China already has a long-term, secure, strategic advantage. He is not wrong.

1. Agreed.

2. Impossible. We can minimize this but it's a plain fact of life the some resources we need don't exist in the quantities we need them outside of trade with regimes like China. At a certain point it's like telling people living in the middle of a desert to farm. There are some things that simply can't be done.

3. Agree overall with the brain drain strategy, but in the short-medium term that's a losing strategy. The dual citizenship proposal actually is definitionally racist.

4. I think that sheer geographic proximity and more similar values ensure that most of Asia ultimately leans towards China, not us. This is for the same reasons that Europe's interests in Ukraine are different than ours.

5. Certainly, although I don't expect it'll help much.

Ultimately in the decades to come the US, China, and everyone else is going to be forced to accept that as important as our geopolitical rivalries seem, the word is interconnected to the point that it's inevitable for us to rely on each other and such concerns are pretty much details. Even if we're willing to tolerate the effects of climate change to the degree that we continue to focus on the present, oil demand continues to rise and oil discoveries are not keeping pace. That bill will come due eventually, and when it does our current squabbles are very likely to be seen as the good ole days.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-10-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:14 AM   #450
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Roman Abramovich transferred control of Chelsea to the charitable foundation. He must fear having the team taken away by the UK government.

Do it.

Roman Abramovich unable to sell Chelsea after UK freezes assets | Chelsea | The Guardian
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote