Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Smile OOTP 13 All-Star Special, now just $29.99! Save 25%!

Hey guys,

we've just started our annual All-Star special promotion, reducing the price of OOTP 13 to $29.99. This offer lasts through Tuesday, July 10th.

To take advantage of this offer, use the following link to access the OOTP web store with the discount already applied: OOTP 13 Special Price

Or use the following discount coupon code when purchasing OOTP 13 either in-game or in our web store: OOTP13AS

For more news, please check our latest newsletter:
OOTP Baseball All-Star Special: Save 25% on OOTP 13!

Have a nice weekend!
Markus

Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm not sure it would be wise to pick up the game given the recent patch issue and frustration amongst even its more ardent fans.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's an excellent game, pick it up, especially at $30. There is a patch coming next Friday.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agreed, I have gotten plenty of value out of it despite the issues, I would jump on it if you were on the fence.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I'm not sure it would be wise to pick up the game given the recent patch issue and frustration amongst even its more ardent fans.

There are no patch issues at all! The patch got delayed a couple of weeks (it'll be released next Friday) because real life got in the way, that's all. The game is perfectly stable right now and people are enjoying it a lot. I do not know what frustration you are talking about, really!

Cheers,
Markus

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 07-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've been playing 13 unfettered for a while. If you were going to get it, the discount makes it worth it. And all of the complaints aside, there's no game in the baseball text sim realm that comes close. 13 was a huge step forward.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
There are no patch issues at all! The patch got delayed a couple of weeks (it'll be released next Friday) because real life got in the way, that's all. The game is perfectly stable right now and people are enjoying it a lot. I do not know what frustration you are talking about, really!

Cheers,
Markus

Pretty sure he means the fact that the off-season center was rendered useless in the last patch.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there a new feature list, as well as info on what online features are being added to the patch.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Pretty sure he means the fact that the off-season center was rendered useless in the last patch.

Well, the only thing that did not work there was the "offer contract" button, however this function is of course still available via the right-click menu and in the player profile itself.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think that the only question that matters is:

Is OOTP 13 worth $29.99?

The answer from me is an easy yes.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
It's an excellent game, pick it up, especially at $30. There is a patch coming next Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Agreed, I have gotten plenty of value out of it despite the issues, I would jump on it if you were on the fence.

Agreed. Best "bang for the buck" game I own.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, the only thing that did not work there was the "offer contract" button, however this function is of course still available via the right-click menu and in the player profile itself.

Actually, the off season screen where you can make contracts to players is useless right now.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

$30 bucks, eh? I'm good for it. In!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I wish that were the case!

The screen has literary unusable "lag" for lack of a better word.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
frnk55
High School Varsity

Fantastic game. Well worth it.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Cheers,
Markus

Markus, are Support tickets being worked on? I've had two tickets open (one from April 28th WXG-405989: Secure FTP) and (one from May 5th JLY-387548: Issue Running Unpack for MySQL Server) and I haven't got a single response on them... These both affect online leagues.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

That's not at all true, the entire Offseason Center slows the game down to a crawl if you bring the page up in game...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #18
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
That's not at all true, the entire Offseason Center slows the game down to a crawl if you bring the page up in game...

Hmm, this did not happen in most cases. Anyway, the screen is fixed in the upcoming patch
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #19
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Markus, are Support tickets being worked on? I've had two tickets open (one from April 28th WXG-405989: Secure FTP) and (one from May 5th JLY-387548: Issue Running Unpack for MySQL Server) and I haven't got a single response on them... These both affect online leagues.

Yes, they are transferred to our bug database if it's a bug report. Not sure why you did not get a response, though. I can't say for sure if the bugs have been worked on, the online league code is not my area, Andreas codes that part of the game. If you like, you can email him (andreas(at)ootpdevelopments.com).
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Actually, the off season screen where you can make contracts to players is useless right now.

You mean the contract negotiation screen? What exactly? I am not aware of any issues there...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You mean the contract negotiation screen? What exactly? I am not aware of any issues there...

I can't click on ANYTHING on this screen and it takes me several mouse clicks to get to another screen within the game - I can use the tool bar on the right eventually.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:

I can't click on ANYTHING on this screen and it takes me several mouse clicks to get to another screen within the game - I can use the tool bar on the right eventually.

Didn't you read, this didn't happen in most cases. Except for all the posts I've seen complain about it since the patch....

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Didn't you read, this didn't happen in most cases. Except for all the posts I've seen complain about it since the patch....

Yeah, kind of like the classic skin when he removed the green on certain pages and most wanted it kept "as is".
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, they are transferred to our bug database if it's a bug report. Not sure why you did not get a response, though. I can't say for sure if the bugs have been worked on, the online league code is not my area, Andreas codes that part of the game. If you like, you can email him (andreas(at)ootpdevelopments.com).

Markus,

I am trying not to be a jerk, but this is not how customer service is done correctly. It really is not that complicated, it is your game and a customer expressed frustration at a problem. Even if it is not your area, the response should be "I am sorry nobody responded, I will forward this to XX and find out what the issues are. I will find out what happened and respond to you promptly. Thank you for your patience"

The response is NOT to make your customer do more work to get his answer.

I train people about customer service. The proper response is to own the problem, not shove it backin theirface. Onemore thing. . . When a customer expresses frustration that something s not working, you do not tell them it does not happen all that often, especially when there ate multiple postsin your own forum stating it is happening.

I lovethis version of ootp. It is light years ahead of other versions. That said, you really need to take a customer service class. I was going to apologize if I came off looking like a jerk, but to be honest, I really do not care if I did or not. The pnly reason I said it is because zi like you and I like your game. If I did not, I would simply tell my friends to avoid your product. That is the price of poor customer service. Most people do not write complaint letters, they just hit the door and never look back.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Yes, that's the offseason central. Like I said, on some systems this screen does not work properly, but it is fixed in the upcoming patch

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 07-07-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Markus,

I am trying not to be a jerk, but this is not how customer service is done correctly. It really is not that complicated, it is your game and a customer expressed frustration at a problem. Even if it is not your area, the response should be "I am sorry nobody responded, I will forward this to XX and find out what the issues are. I will find out what happened and respond to you promptly. Thank you for your patience"

The response is NOT to make your customer do more work to get his answer.

I train people about customer service. The proper response is to own the problem, not shove it backin theirface. Onemore thing. . . When a customer expresses frustration that something s not working, you do not tell them it does not happen all that often, especially when there ate multiple postsin your own forum stating it is happening.

I lovethis version of ootp. It is light years ahead of other versions. That said, you really need to take a customer service class. I was going to apologize if I came off looking like a jerk, but to be honest, I really do not care if I did or not. The pnly reason I said it is because zi like you and I like your game. If I did not, I would simply tell my friends to avoid your product. That is the price of poor customer service. Most people do not write complaint letters, they just hit the door and never look back.

Yeah, you're probably right. Sometimes I am just in a bit of a hurry while posting and then the message does not come across right Sorry.

Anyway, emailing us usually is a good way to make sure we do not miss any issues. Often it happens that an issue logged in our bug DB cannot be reproduced, and then it's kind of hard to fix. But when someone emails us, we usually can ask for the league files (which in 95% of the cases helps to reproduce a problem).
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right. Sometimes I am just in a bit of a hurry while posting and then the message does not come across right Sorry.

Anyway, emailing us usually is a good way to make sure we do not miss any issues. Often it happens that an issue logged in our bug DB cannot be reproduced, and then it's kind of hard to fix. But when someone emails us, we usually can ask for the league files (which in 95% of the cases helps to reproduce a problem).

Why even have a support site that someone can capture their problems and that keeps a log if you are just going to let people cut in line for support via email? Isn't this what the support tool is for?
This is the problem with multiple channels of support. I specifically use the channel that is suggested on your message board and now I'm told that emailing is easier. It's frustrating because I love the game and I do what I can to praise it, but when even the guy that owns and programs it can't follow the best practice of responding to bug reports what am I supposed to do?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Cheers,
Markus

The offseason center is broken. International scouting is effectively useless because of the players' demands for major league contracts regardless of age. Setting up an online league became such a teeth-pulling endeavor that we ended up having to do it the "old-fashioned way" because the new way was causing endless issues.

I've seen cases of files being necessary for export literally disappearing on people.

The game FUCKING. SHIPPED. WITH. BROKEN. OWNERS. Look, yes, you can fix that with editing. Whoopee. Realistically? As a customer, that shouldn't be my responsibility. I should not have to go edit my owner as part of a routine setup process.

The way your owner deals with contract extensions is still obscured to the point where it's hard to know whether you're really going to be over budget or if the game is just broken in that respect. I'll have a salary obligation of $93m, say, with a projected budget of $140m, and I'll offer someone a contract extension with a $10m salary the next year, and the game will go "LOL no."

I'll be fair. Did the patch break all those things? No, probably not. Some of them were likely in there pre-patch and just didn't get addressed.

But saying "frustration? what frustration?" is willful blindness.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Why even have a support site that someone can capture their problems and that keeps a log if you are just going to let people cut in line for support via email? Isn't this what the support tool is for?
This is the problem with multiple channels of support. I specifically use the channel that is suggested on your message board and now I'm told that emailing is easier. It's frustrating because I love the game and I do what I can to praise it, but when even the guy that owns and programs it can't follow the best practice of responding to bug reports what am I supposed to do?

The support site is the first way, of course. Our support guys usually do a great job, but sometimes an issue gets lost, and if that happens or the problem cannot be reproduced, it may help to directly email us. What can I say? We do the best we can, but supporting such a complex game as OOTP is not the easiest thing of the world.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The game FUCKING. SHIPPED. WITH. BROKEN. OWNERS.

What's this? Can you be more specific please? I am not aware of any issues with the owners. Are you talking about the major league quickstart?

The other issues you mentioned have already been fixed for the upcoming patch.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 07-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
The support site is the first way, of course. Our support guys usually do a great job, but sometimes an issue gets lost, and if that happens or the problem cannot be reproduced, it may help to directly email us. What can I say? We do the best we can, but supporting such a complex game as OOTP is not the easiest thing of the world.

Being that I'm from the support world, this makes no sense, you are using a ticketing system, said ticketing system still shows my tickets and shows they are "Open" which means most likely they aren't lost, just that someone isn't going through the tickets and handling them. Even just a simple canned response such as "We will look into this issue." would have been appreciated, but my tickets are still just sitting open, I don't even know if someone looked at them. I'm not even complaining about the issue anymore (even though I know it still exists), it's the support issue that is frustrating me.

I'm not going to mail Andreas, I've reached out to you, it's your game you can choose whether or not this issue is important to you. Take Care.

I give up.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, that's the offseason central. Like I said, on some systems this screen does not work properly, but it is fixed in the upcoming patch

I know you have fixed it, but it's taken WAY too long to get that one particular fix out to the masses.

This screen worked fine before the patch you released prior to vacation.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
What's this? Can you be more specific please? I am not aware of any issues with the owners. Are you talking about the major league quickstart?

Yes, the major league quickstart.

It's great that the other issues have been fixed. They shouldn't have been left dangling in the breeze until the All-Star Break.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This thread has me a bit frightened. Was going to buy, but may hold off until the next sale when some of these issues are resolved.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
This thread has me a bit frightened. Was going to buy, but may hold off until the next sale when some of these issues are resolved.

I honestly say don't hold off, none of the issues being pointed out are "game killers", they are just things that may or may not frustrate you, if you run into them.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #36
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
I honestly say don't hold off, none of the issues being pointed out are "game killers", they are just things that may or may not frustrate you, if you run into them.

Yeah, as Dan said the game works perfectly fine.

The offseason center and some of the in game AI are my gripes but most people dont even care about the in game AI so it doesnt affect a lot of people.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes, the game is fine in it's current state and the patch is 6 days away.

I play it every single day.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I dont play in online leagues so those issues are foreign to me, but from a solo standpoiny it has easily been worth it. I dont experience any PC slow down at the offseason center (i have a nice CPU tho, so maybe that is why?). My problem has always been financials but its never ruined the game for me.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I dont play in online leagues so those issues are foreign to me, but from a solo standpoiny it has easily been worth it. I dont experience any PC slow down at the offseason center (i have a nice CPU tho, so maybe that is why?). My problem has always been financials but its never ruined the game for me.

I have a quad core with 8 GB of Ram...
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #40
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I may just be lucky.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #41
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Several owners have Patience and Spending values of 0.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #42
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I recommend it. Haven't noticed any of the issues and there is one easy fix for anyone who has that offseason screen issue. DON'T USE IT. Not looking at it doesn't break the game or make it "unplayable" as many will try to have you believe.

Once the patch comes out try it again.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It's a great game and if that issue is fixed in the upcoming patch, there is really nothing that should hold back your enjoyment. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game although I do understand the frustration of others.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #44
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm in the BUY IT category. I never get more bang for my bucks from any other game.