Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:11 AM   #1952
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Weird (and misleading) stat of the day
2019 - Nix wins
2020 - Saban out due to corona
2021 - Nix out injured

RedditCFB on Twitter: "Hard to believe, but Bo Nix has never lost to Nick Saban. 🤯… "
Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 AM   #1953
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Where will Cameron Ward end up?

Your guess is as good as mine most likely.

His dad says he's "looking for the right system". He's relatively inexperienced as a passer -- played for a Wing-T team in HS -- so the right situation becomes even more important.

I hope that he finds what he needs at a mid-major and continues to develop. Not sure I'd want my P5 program to roll the dice that big tbh, high ceiling but feels low a low floor too.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #1954
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know this is unfair but this feels feels like Tate Martell 2.0

Former 5-star recruit Quinn Ewers will join Texas football as transfer QB, have four years of eligibility
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #1955
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

All of the drama, but he actually has the talent as well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #1956
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Large bags of cash have been promised. Will be easy to root against him and his current team. Texas trying to blatantly buy wins. Cant say I blame them - its the new norm now.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #1957
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
what a weird cycle for him Committed to Texas, then decommitted, committed to Ohio State, left high school a year early, sat on the bench, entered the portal, committed to Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #1958
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Your guess is as good as mine most likely.

His dad says he's "looking for the right system". He's relatively inexperienced as a passer -- played for a Wing-T team in HS -- so the right situation becomes even more important.

I hope that he finds what he needs at a mid-major and continues to develop. Not sure I'd want my P5 program to roll the dice that big tbh, high ceiling but feels low a low floor too.

From what I've seen from his offers, Houston feels like a great fit. Also saw Ole Miss offered him a scholarship. The jump from Incarnate Word to the SEC seems a bit much.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #1959
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Large bags of cash have been promised. Will be easy to root against him and his current team. Texas trying to blatantly buy wins. Cant say I blame them - its the new norm now.

Come on. He only went to Ohio State early for the year because he could sign the NIL deal that Texas does not allow for high school athletes. Ohio State had to know there was a good chance he'd go back, especially after the success of Stroud.

He already got his back of cash.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #1960
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Zach Calzada in the portal. Probably makes a ton of sense as I'm sure they can do better but... he did beat Alabama this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #1961
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Zach Calzada in the portal. Probably makes a ton of sense as I'm sure they can do better but... he did beat Alabama this year.

After seeing the Calzada story, I did some looking around and ended up compiling a list

Texas A&M QB Zach Calzada
USC QB Kedon Slovis
Auburn QB Bo Nix
OU QB Spencer Rattler
LSU QB Max Johnson
LSU QB Myles Brennan
Indiana QB Michael Penix Jr.
Ohio State QB Jack Miller
Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez
UCF QB Dillon Gabriel
Purdue QB Jack Plummer
Penn State QB Ta'Quan Roberson
Tennessee QB Harrison Bailey
Clemson QB Taisun Phommachanh
I-AA sensation Incarnate Word QB Cameron Ward
Georgia Tech QB Tyler Yates

And that doesn't include less familiar names such as 2x portal travelers Charlie Brewer (Baylor, Utah) or guys at Boise, Hawaii, Akron, and UAB just to name a few.

ex-Baylor QB Jacob Zeno committed to UAB
ex-tOSU QB Jake Ewers committed to Texas
Fresno State QB Jake Haener returned after flirting in the portal

edit to add: I hear that ex Vol Brian Maurer (portal entry back in August) seems to be headed to UTSA, also add to the list the Va Tech backup, UVA's #3 and #4 qbs, and soon-to-be-well-traveled Matthew McKay (ex-NC State) who then bailed out on Montana State two days prior to their playoff game a couple weeks ago

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-13-2021 at 01:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #1962
RainMaker
General Manager

Could Nix have stayed longer if he wanted to? That one feels so weird since they basically rolled out the red carpet for him and have given him a lot of opportunities. Haven't follow their last couple games but was there a situation where he lost or would lose his job next year?
Old 12-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #1963
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Could Nix have stayed longer if he wanted to? That one feels so weird since they basically rolled out the red carpet for him and have given him a lot of opportunities. Haven't follow their last couple games but was there a situation where he lost or would lose his job next year?

Could he have stayed? I know of no reason he couldn't. Might have been in an actual QB competition for the first time since he was anointed as the starter but nothing says he would have definitely lost the battle either.

There's _rumors_ that aren't particularly flattering to be honest. (involving him + his father issuing ultimatums to the HC about the next OC hire and being told to hit the bricks)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #1964
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Come on. He only went to Ohio State early for the year because he could sign the NIL deal that Texas does not allow for high school athletes. Ohio State had to know there was a good chance he'd go back, especially after the success of Stroud.

The reclassification was interesting - happened just a few weeks after our governor (I should change my location - we've been in Ohio for more than two years now) signed an executive order allowing NIL money.

Apparently, he only "needed" one class to graduate high school a year early, so that could be addressed quickly.

I don't think the idea was ever that he'd play for Ohio State as a reclassified freshman. And Stroud probably goes pro in 2023. So I'm surprised about this. NIL was the reason he reclassified, but he dropped Texas and chose Ohio State in 2020, before NIL was a thing. Makes me think his experience as a backup this season didn't go well.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #1965
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Weird (and misleading) stat of the day
2019 - Nix wins
2020 - Saban out due to corona
2021 - Nix out injured

RedditCFB on Twitter: "Hard to believe, but Bo Nix has never lost to Nick Saban. 🤯… "

I don't mean to brag, but I, too, have never lost to Nick Saban as a starting QB.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #1966
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Could he have stayed? I know of no reason he couldn't. Might have been in an actual QB competition for the first time since he was anointed as the starter but nothing says he would have definitely lost the battle either.

There's _rumors_ that aren't particularly flattering to be honest. (involving him + his father issuing ultimatums to the HC about the next OC hire and being told to hit the bricks)

Thanks. I saw the graduate transfer note so I didn't know if that meant he was no longer eligible at Auburn. Just seems odd because he was treated like royalty since he got there despite being pretty mediocre at best.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #1967
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just seems odd because he was treated like royalty since he got there despite being pretty mediocre at best.

The story, I guess, turned out to be too good to resist.

5* recruit that talked openly about having never wanted anything more than to be an Auburn Tiger. Son of a former Auburn QB, who then turned to coaching at both college and HS levels (helping his son to set the Alabama state records for both career passing yardage and career passing touchdowns)

Then he becomes only the 8th freshman to ever start at QB for Auburn, the first to do so in a season opener in over 70 years. Then he beats Oregon on national television in that debut, beats Alabama as a freshman, wins SEC Freshman of the Year.

And then the wheels pretty much came off.

2019 - 9-4 with Malzahn and OC Kenny Dillingham ... who then leaves to join Norvell at FSU

2020 - 6-5 with Malzahn and OC Chad Morris ... a season that got Gus fired and end Morris tenure after one season

2021 - 6-6 with Harsin and OC Mike Bobo ... a season that ended with Booboo being fired

Did the OCs kill Nix? Did Nix kill the OCs? Or maybe the situation did all of 'em in?

When Nix won the vacant starting job (Stidham had declared for the draft), he beat out Malik Willis (who then xferred to Liberty) and Joey Gatewood (who eventually xferred to Kentucky, and later to UCF).

2019, his backups were Gatewood and Cord Sandberg, who is now a 26 yr old sophomore after only returning to college football after several seasons in the Phillies organization as a 3rd round draft pick

2020, his backups were Bowling Green graduate transfer Grant Loy (who had 6 TDs and 11 Ints in his only season starting in the MAC) and Sandberg.

2021, his backup was at least ostensibly better, LSU expatriate T.J. Finley.

Basically, once Nix won the job there really wasn't a better option available than to keep putting him on the field. On the field behind a thin and questionable OL that was largely ignored by Malzahn for roughly 4 years.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #1968
RainMaker
General Manager

I just hated watching them play on national TV because the announcers would never stop gushing about him and his Dad.

You mention that Oregon win, but he was horrendous for most of that game. Had a nice final drive but they definitely did not win because of him. And he was mostly a game manager in the Iron Bowl who rode a few defensive TDs to the win.

I just don't understand the hype behind him. Had some nice moments but has mostly been a mediocre QB in the SEC at best.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #1969
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I don't mean to brag, but I, too, have never lost to Nick Saban as a starting QB.

Alabama has never beaten Kansas at football!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-13-2021 at 04:17 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #1970
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

Geoff Ketchum on Twitter: "Word on the street is that first round draft pick-level NIL money is on the table for Quinn Ewers if he chooses Texas as his transfer destination.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #1971
RainMaker
General Manager

He already got $1.3 million and more in NIL deals at Ohio State. Maybe it's more at Texas, but let's not pretend Ohio State is some victim here.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #1972
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
After seeing the Calzada story, I did some looking around and ended up compiling a list

Texas A&M QB Zach Calzada
USC QB Kedon Slovis
Auburn QB Bo Nix
OU QB Spencer Rattler
LSU QB Max Johnson
LSU QB Myles Brennan
Indiana QB Michael Penix Jr.
Ohio State QB Jack Miller
Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez
UCF QB Dillon Gabriel
Purdue QB Jack Plummer
Penn State QB Ta'Quan Roberson
Tennessee QB Harrison Bailey
Clemson QB Taisun Phommachanh
I-AA sensation Incarnate Word QB Cameron Ward
Georgia Tech QB Tyler Yates

And that doesn't include less familiar names such as 2x portal travelers Charlie Brewer (Baylor, Utah) or guys at Boise, Hawaii, Akron, and UAB just to name a few.

ex-Baylor QB Jacob Zeno committed to UAB
ex-tOSU QB Jake Ewers committed to Texas
Fresno State QB Jake Haener returned after flirting in the portal

edit to add: I hear that ex Vol Brian Maurer (portal entry back in August) seems to be headed to UTSA, also add to the list the Va Tech backup, UVA's #3 and #4 qbs, and soon-to-be-well-traveled Matthew McKay (ex-NC State) who then bailed out on Montana State two days prior to their playoff game a couple weeks ago

They may need to get more servers to power the site due to all the activity but 24/7 Sports has always been my favorite

Transfer Portal
Twitter

Instagram

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 12-13-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #1973
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
He already got $1.3 million and more in NIL deals at Ohio State. Maybe it's more at Texas, but let's not pretend Ohio State is some victim here.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure his biggest deal was for some new beverage company here in DFW. I know he had some local deals as well but those were likely forfeit when he left Ohio State. I don't see OSU as a victim in any way either, this is just a weird situation that will probably become the new norm. I think the bigger factor for his transfer is a 5 star QB in the same class that he has to compete with just to be the back-up next year. I also think homesickness was a factor too.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #1974
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
They may need to get more servers to power the site due to all the activity but 24/7 Sports has always been my favorite

Transfer Portal
Twitter

Instagram

Really curious how its going to go with both Rattler and Gabriel going to UCLA. I just sent a text to my buddy, who is his personal QB coach asking about Rattler, as it seems Gio is one of the few with a good relationship with him, kid is not popular in Arizona coaching circles
Old 12-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #1975
bhlloy
Coordinator

Those are just crystal ball predictions not final destinations afaik - the one for Rattler is from 12/3
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #1976
Ksyrup

I sure as hell hope Norvell can land SOMEONE off that list. I mean, I love Jordan Travis - he singlehandedly has kept us afloat the past two years - but we need a legit, top tier QB for the future.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #1977
henry296
College Starter

I'm wondering if Pitt might be interested in some of these guys. Too bad Whipple left as that probably would've been a good selling point based on how Pickett developed.

Last edited by henry296 : 12-13-2021 at 07:37 PM.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #1978
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa sure could use a QB, but our staff has just recently entered the 2000s, so it will be another decade before they realize the opportunity FA presents.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #1979
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It doesn't matter if Georgia gets one because Kirby will just find another 5'9 walk on to start ahead of him.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #1980
GrantDawg

Rattler announced to South Carolina.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:35 PM   #1981
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Which I just said should be worth 2-3 wins for them. That would put them in the same 8-4 to 9-3 range that had everyone excited about for Arkansas, so it seems like a very good get.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #1982
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Georgia gets one because Kirby will just find another 5'9 walk on to start ahead of him.

Your QB room is full up right now, no sense bringing anyone else in until at least 1-2 of the existing ones leave.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #1983
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also, reports now say Bigsby will remain at Auburn after a major sales pitch by Harsin
Old 12-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #1984
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Really curious how its going to go with both Rattler and Gabriel going to UCLA. I just sent a text to my buddy, who is his personal QB coach asking about Rattler, as it seems Gio is one of the few with a good relationship with him, kid is not popular in Arizona coaching circles

If anyone spent two seconds around both Chip and Rattler, there was no way those two could ever fathom a season together.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #1985
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

They also got one of Rattler's talented teammates, tight end Austin Stogner.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #1986
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
If anyone spent two seconds around both Chip and Rattler, there was no way those two could ever fathom a season together.

Yeah, I don't see it either old school overbearing ass vs entitled Diva? Not going to be pretty in westwood
Old 12-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #1987
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
They also got one of Rattler's talented teammates, tight end Austin Stogner.

Missed this, so that answers my question about UCLA LOL
Old 12-13-2021, 11:59 PM   #1988
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Clay Helton makes his presence known in Georgia (and Michigan) by getting a couple of flips today, a QB/WR pair of brothers from the Class A/Private state champs.

In getting them, he keeps a pair of 3* recruits in state both having previously been committed to Western Michigan. Bear with me for a bit of a laundry list here, my point is that Helton got the two highest rated QBs in the state that wouldn't have been making a step(s) down to go to Ga Southern, in other words he got the best available to him at this point (which is more than they'd done previously)

Stockton - UGA #7 QB natl
Horn - Mizzou #9
Brown - Miami #17
Geriner - Auburn #19
Morris - NC State #25
Swann - Vandy #26
Farrell - Va Tech #46
Archie - Coastal Carolina #53
Daniels - Stanford #62
French - Memphis #72 QB natl
Rozsman - Ga Southern (flipped from Appy State) #78 QB
Dallas - Ga Southern (flipped from WMU) #91 QB
Old 12-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #1989
Thomkal
Head Coach

woot Coastal
Old 12-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #1990
Ksyrup

Quote:
Clay Helton makes his presence known in Georgia (and Michigan) by getting a couple of flips today, a QB/WR pair of brothers from the Class A/Private state champs.

In getting them, he keeps a pair of 3* recruits in state both having previously been committed to Western Michigan. Bear with me for a bit of a laundry list here, my point is that Helton got the two highest rated QBs in the state that wouldn't have been making a step(s) down to go to Ga Southern, in other words he got the best available to him at this point (which is more than they'd done previously)

Stockton - UGA #7 QB natl
Horn - Mizzou #9
Brown - Miami #17
Geriner - Auburn #19
Morris - NC State #25
Swann - Vandy #26
Farrell - Va Tech #46
Archie - Coastal Carolina #53
Daniels - Stanford #62
French - Memphis #72 QB natl
Rozsman - Ga Southern (flipped from Appy State) #78 QB
Dallas - Ga Southern (flipped from WMU) #91 QB

Your posts are making me want to fire up Bowl Bound again...
Old 12-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #1991
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
woot Coastal

Don't celebrate quite yet ... Michigan has been making a hard push for him for about a month now.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #1992
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't celebrate quite yet ... Michigan has been making a hard push for him for about a month now.

Who the hell wants to go to Michigan when they can be at the beach?
Old 12-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #1993
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Who the hell wants to go to Michigan when they can be at the beach?

At a beach sporting a mullet!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #1994
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
At a beach sporting a mullet!

No way he'd go to Michigan with that on the table right?
Old 12-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #1995
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
No way he'd go to Michigan with that on the table right?

Beach Mullets > Khakis
Old 12-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #1996
GrantDawg

Georgia signs it's first commit for early signing day in Australia (it is already Wednesday there). Punter Brett Thorson.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #1997
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see it either old school overbearing ass vs entitled Diva? Not going to be pretty in westwood

UCLA's transfer target at QB is Dillion Gabriel
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #1998
Ksyrup

Welp, looks like FSU is already the big loser of NSD as its OC bolts for NIL-rich Oregon the morning of signing day. If this costs us Hunter or any other decent players today, this is just a further stake in the program. The current slide combined with the realities of NIL are going to bury FSU, I think.

In other news, it looks like Texas got a couple of big flips from OSU and Michigan this morning.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #1999
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Welp, looks like FSU is already the big loser of NSD as its OC bolts for NIL-rich Oregon the morning of signing day. If this costs us Hunter or any other decent players today, this is just a further stake in the program. The current slide combined with the realities of NIL are going to bury FSU, I think.

In other news, it looks like Texas got a couple of big flips from OSU and Michigan this morning.

Pretty sure we've already lost out on a couple because of NIL. Heavy leans that all of sudden signed other places or delayed decision until Feb.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #2000
Ksyrup

And there it is. Hunter signs with Deion Sanders at HBCU. Hard to compete with the narrative there, not sure what FSU could have done but holy shit we are the #1 story of NSD for all the wrong reasons.