Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2021, 10:43 PM   #2051
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Thinking about the early signing day, and how that played out. It won't happen, but maybe college football worked better without playoffs and conference championship games.

That drove conference expansion. So I'm looking at the Big Ten, and if it weren't for Iowa's late run of CB/S players, the entire western division finished behind the entire eastern division (including Rutgers) in 247's rankings of the signing classes.

Then you look at Nebraska, which used to be a powerhouse. They have the 14th-ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten. Was it a good idea to leave the Big 12?

I know I sound a little "make college football great again" here. Not what I had in mind. Sports evolve. And the "big two, little eight" I grew up with probably wasn't as much fun for people who lived in West Lafayette and Champaign as it was for those of us in Ann Arbor.

I'm not sure any of what we're seeing can be fixed. Amateur athletics and billion-dollar television contracts don't mix well at all. My niece and nephew both run cross country for a Division III school, and they're good enough that they get something tied into a tuition reduction. That means a big deal to them.

There are something like 100,000 college athletes and for the overwhelming majority, the opportunity to have that experience (they love their teammates, friends for life) and have it pay for some of their education is a good thing. And it has very little in common with the job major college football players have. Honestly, I'm stumped by how we can have one and preserve the other.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:49 PM   #2052
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If people truly cared about competitive balance, they would have been screaming about the disparity in coaching salaries, facilities, TV contracts, and so on. They don't because this isn't about competitive balance.

They have been. I've seen numerous articles complaining about all of those things and it's a massively popular topic on boards like Rivals, specifically on boards of schools that don't have the advantages a handful of the others do.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:55 PM   #2053
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But a by-product of the portal is that there's no longer any natural evolution of the sports as they have usually unfolded over a number of years. One team's great recruiting class one year can all leave the next. It kinda sucks, but students shouldn't be forced to attend a college or play for a coach/school where they don't want to be.

I largely agree with everything you said, but the downside is it's incredibly easy to change a 19 year old that didn't get to play because the guy in front of him is better's mind and offer him a situation that isn't in his best interest. It's the grass is always greener thing and the portal has opened the door to players being recruited that aren't in the portal and didn't really have any intentions of transferring until a certain school came along and made an impression. Yes, it's against the rules that are currently in place, but those rules are also 100% impossible to enforce.

The NIL is currently a state level thing where we've seen with the Florida bill introduced today that it's going to be arms race to create the most advantageous bill for schools in your state.

The Portal has the best intentions, but it's also made tampering a new thing coaches have to deal with. For every player that lands in a good spot because of the portal there are probably at least 5 that end up in a worse place, but it's easy to sell promise to an unhappy teenager.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-15-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #2054
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Again, in all sports but FB and BB, tampering always happened because transfers were allowed (without sitting a year). The portal was a way to give players a clear way to talk to other schools when they had decided to leave. FB and BB had the double whammy of introducing immediate transferring and a formal way to do it. All the other sports were at least accustomed to some level of year to year transfers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-15-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:40 AM   #2055
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Amateur athletics and billion-dollar television contracts don't mix well at all.

This is the crux of it. It's tough to be amateur athletics to some but billion dollar business for everyone else.

If you want to make college athletics "pure" or whatever, you'd have to really become an amateur sport. Coaches who are paid what professors at the school make. Run as a true non-profit where you bring in just enough money to operate the sports. Maybe this means limiting marketing deals or putting your games on TV for free.

When you have coaches getting $20 million buyouts and guys getting $100 million extensions for a single 10-win season when other schools can't afford to get out of a six-figure contract, the cries of competitive unbalance seem odd.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:08 AM   #2056
RainMaker
General Manager

For what it's worth, I think NIL will make football and basketball more competitive. The same with loosening of transfer rules.

There's only so much money businesses can pump into a program before the returns start to diminish. I'm guessing you might find more success in getting deals as the starter at a school like Illinois as opposed to being the 3rd string at Auburn. There's a lot of untapped endorsement potential in these non-competitive college towns.

In basketball, players on the bubble of being drafted may opt to stay an extra year or two. The one and done guys at Kentucky and Duke are gone, but maybe someone like Joe Wieskamp hangs around for another season at Iowa because he is making a living on the side. Does that help close the gap between the prominent programs and some mid-tier ones?

A school like NC State was never going to compete with Alabama in recruiting. They don't have the prestige or history. But I think NIL levels that a little bit.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:12 AM   #2057
RainMaker
General Manager

Also I'm not advocating for expanded playoff, but I do think it would result in more competitiveness long term (I'm told that's something college fans care about). If you want to compete for a national title and play on a big state, you have a handful of schools to choose from. But if you've got a 12-team playoff where conference champs are in (and maybe an autobid to the top G5 school), mid-tier P5 schools have something they can sell.

Similar to how the expansion of the NCAA Tournament in basketball has spread the talent out a bit more and create more competition. You don't have to play for Duke or Kentucky to compete for a championship.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:22 AM   #2058
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

deion sanders broke the game -- and that has potential to fundamentally change the NFL as well
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #2059
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Thinking about the early signing day, and how that played out. It won't happen, but maybe college football worked better without playoffs and conference championship games.

That drove conference expansion. So I'm looking at the Big Ten, and if it weren't for Iowa's late run of CB/S players, the entire western division finished behind the entire eastern division (including Rutgers) in 247's rankings of the signing classes.

Then you look at Nebraska, which used to be a powerhouse. They have the 14th-ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten. Was it a good idea to leave the Big 12?

I know I sound a little "make college football great again" here. Not what I had in mind. Sports evolve. And the "big two, little eight" I grew up with probably wasn't as much fun for people who lived in West Lafayette and Champaign as it was for those of us in Ann Arbor.

I'm not sure any of what we're seeing can be fixed. Amateur athletics and billion-dollar television contracts don't mix well at all. My niece and nephew both run cross country for a Division III school, and they're good enough that they get something tied into a tuition reduction. That means a big deal to them.

There are something like 100,000 college athletes and for the overwhelming majority, the opportunity to have that experience (they love their teammates, friends for life) and have it pay for some of their education is a good thing. And it has very little in common with the job major college football players have. Honestly, I'm stumped by how we can have one and preserve the other.

I was thinking about some of these things the other day. I think one of the things that has made the sport less interesting for me to follow is the combo of playoffs and conference expansion has taken away the "What if?" factor. When I first got into college football, you had the Big Ten, Pac Ten, SEC, SWC, ACC, Big 8, and the Eastern and Southern Independents + Notre Dame. You could have undefeated teams or powerhouse teams in 6 or 8 regions and had to hope for good bowl match ups to parse through and debate to see who was the best. Now, everything is funneled through the power 5 (soon to be 4, from what I am hearing) and Notre Dame. We don't have situations where Miami, Florida State, Alabama, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame and USC all have a chance for an undefeated season midway through the season because they are all in the same conference and will end up playing each other.

I guess the current model allows it to truly settle things on the field, but it was kind of nice for more teams to have an opportunity for a dream season each year.

The consolidation of all the power teams into four, neat packages is just kind of boring and, to me, leaves less opportunity for teams to have some upward mobility.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #2060
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Given where the game feels like it is going though, it begs the question - is he exactly what a program like FSU needs? Celebrity endorser-high caliber FB player-getter, make sure his recruits have access to all the money they will need to come to the school and surround him with competent Xs and Os coaches to manage the minutia of, you know, the actual games. If he brings in enough talent and you are able to pay them what they need to come to your school, can you duct tape the rest with the right foot soldiers running the program beneath his ego and celebrity status?

How many competent Xs and Os guys will work for someone who has no credibility aside from his name/image?

How many will come work for someone that has yet to prove he's in it for the long haul? Or that might vanish when the novelty wears off?
Old 12-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #2061
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Almost stuck this comment in my previous post but it struck me as deserving of it's own post.

How far are we from players paying their coaches for playing time out of their NIL money? I mean, ya gotta spend money to make money, right? So the bigger picture might make it worthwhile to give up 20% of your paycheck in order to protect the other 80%.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #2062
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How many competent Xs and Os guys will work for someone who has no credibility aside from his name/image?

How many will come work for someone that has yet to prove he's in it for the long haul? Or that might vanish when the novelty wears off?

Depends on if he's successful. He hasn't buffooned his way out at Jackson State yet. Long road to a P5 I understand, but winning builds credibility, and the Xs and Os guys don't need to be in for the long haul. If they have success, they can move onward and upward themselves.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #2063
Ksyrup

Cristobal and Leavitt under Taggart at Oregon is a good example of solid coordinators masking a head coach's issues.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-16-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #2064
Ksyrup

And btw, I'm not really advocating for Deion at FSU. It is a convenient narrative, but Norvell deserves time. Despite the ESD debacle yesterday on multiple fronts, we still landed a top 15 class. Unfortunately, since Ron Dugans can't recruit WRs, this is going to be our offense next year:

Old 12-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #2065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He hasn't buffooned his way out at Jackson State yet.

The ass kissing stage hasn't ended yet.

Getting a team to the level of 1-3 points better than Uconn isn't exactly a huge coaching achievement, the bar is obviously pretty low for getting people to fawn.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-16-2021 at 10:12 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #2066
Ksyrup

Everything is relative. Depends where you began and what expectations are.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #2067
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Myles Brennan says he'll stay at LSU after all.

Guess that fills in the blanks about which QB he was worried about competing with (Nussmeier is still there, Johnson is still in the portal)
Old 12-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #2068
tarcone
Coordinator

I think if Sanders found a couple good coordinators, he would do well at the D1 level because I believe he is an excellent recruiter. Plus he has won as a player at every level and he is showing he can win at a HBCU, which I dont think is as easy as one would think.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #2069
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina gets its bowl game today at 6pm on ESPN2. I think they match up pretty similar to Northern Illinois, so you know what that means-one team is going to blow out the other. Just hope its Coastal and they get their first Bowl win.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #2070
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I think if Sanders found a couple good coordinators, he would do well at the D1 level because I believe he is an excellent recruiter. Plus he has won as a player at every level and he is showing he can win at a HBCU, which I dont think is as easy as one would think.

Yeah. But as several people here have alluded to, you run a risk with him that you'll be building a program with him and then he'll quit out of nowhere b/c he gets bored and decides to instead go sell "Prime Time NFTs" or whatever.

Maybe its a risk worth taking if he can get you 5* recruits in the meantime in the NIL world. But it is, IMO, a risk.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #2071
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yeah. But as several people here have alluded to, you run a risk with him that you'll be building a program with him and then he'll quit out of nowhere b/c he gets bored and decides to instead go sell "Prime Time NFTs" or whatever.

Maybe its a risk worth taking if he can get you 5* recruits in the meantime in the NIL world. But it is, IMO, a risk.

Yes it is, but in this day and age it seems like any coach would be a risk. How many Universities would hire Urban Meyer today? I bet there would be quite a few.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #2072
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yes it is, but in this day and age it seems like any coach would be a risk. How many Universities would hire Urban Meyer today? I bet there would be quite a few.

They might hire him, then in another year or two they'll be looking for another coach after he steps down for health reasons.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #2073
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Texas gets Ewers from the portal, signs a 4* ... so Casey Thompson enters the portal
Old 12-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #2074
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jason B. Hirschhorn @by_JBH
·4m
Coastal Carolina giving an all-time please-let-this-season-end effort on defense.

{checks boxscore}

Yeah, 300 yards rushing allowed through 3 quarters, that sounds pretty accurate
Old 12-17-2021, 08:37 PM   #2075
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Jason B. Hirschhorn @by_JBH
·4m
Coastal Carolina giving an all-time please-let-this-season-end effort on defense.

{checks boxscore}

Yeah, 300 yards rushing allowed through 3 quarters, that sounds pretty accurate

Yeah defense not showed up until the 4th Q. Got a stop on 4 and 1 and a TD on the next play and just now a fumble recovery that might win the game.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #2076
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wow time runs out on Northern Illinois after two big 4th down conversions and 4 yards away from a winning TD. Just a crazy game with no turnovers until the 4th quarter. Coastal gets its first bowl win just barely 47-41. Whew!
Old 12-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #2077
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Can someone explain how the final two seconds was run off after NIU picked up the first down? I must have missed something.

The official play-by-play shows that NIU picked up a first down. The clock stopped with two seconds left. Then, the CCU players run out onto the field and the ref signals the game is over. After a first down, the clock is supposed to stop, and two seconds is plenty of time to line up and spike the ball after it's re-spotted. How did those final two seconds get run off?

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 12-17-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:52 PM   #2078
henry296
College Starter

The rule is you need 3 seconds to spike. It looks like it was put in place in 2013

Spike (gridiron football) - Wikipedia.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #2079
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
The rule is you need 3 seconds to spike. It looks like it was put in place in 2013

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of that rule, but it makes sense now.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #2080
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Never knew that. Was wondering about that at the end.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #2081
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs at #19 in a 247 article but then #25 in their website ranking. Either way about the right range for recruiting. No homegrown 5-star talent but five 4-stars helped.

There's been some years in the 30s & 40s, but mostly in the 20s. Can't say I'm particularly excited about any individual in particular. Maybe there is a Darren McFadden breakout star in the group.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #2082
PilotMan
Head Coach

Totally forgot about the football game last night. I can't believe that. That's what the JBL will do as it was draft night. Oh well. I'll probably go back and watch it anyway.

If you missed it. The Bison beat nemesis James Madison last night to advance to the FCS National Championship game on January 8.

They nearly gave the game away, it was tight all along. Bison were up 10-0. JMU comes back to take the lead. The Bison answer in the 4th, but JMU drives into the red zone with time winding down, and NDSU makes a one handed interception over the taller reciever to seal it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #2083
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That interception was sweet!
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #2084
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

#2 play in ESPN's Top 10

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-18-2021 at 08:45 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #2085
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of that rule, but it makes sense now.

I didn't either, but remember hearing the announcers mention it some other game this year so I googled it when I saw Vic's post.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #2086
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It happened in the Miami-FSU game. Miami was trying to get in range for a last second hail mary or FG. They completed a pass and tried to get up and spike it, but with only 2 seconds left, the refs flagged it and time ran out.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:36 AM   #2087
Thomkal
Head Coach

I for one am very happy about that rule
Old 12-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #2088
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

SC St. is taking Coach Prime to the woodshed.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #2089
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Totally forgot about the football game last night. I can't believe that. That's what the JBL will do as it was draft night. Oh well. I'll probably go back and watch it anyway.

If you missed it. The Bison beat nemesis James Madison last night to advance to the FCS National Championship game on January 8.

They nearly gave the game away, it was tight all along. Bison were up 10-0. JMU comes back to take the lead. The Bison answer in the 4th, but JMU drives into the red zone with time winding down, and NDSU makes a one handed interception over the taller reciever to seal it.

This was a really fun game. Two very good teams. Turnovers were the difference.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #2090
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
SC St. is taking Coach Prime to the woodshed.

Gonna need somebody to pony up for some defenders, and maybe a QB
Old 12-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #2091
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Gonna need somebody to pony up for some defenders, and maybe a QB

Ummm please note the name on that back of that QB's jersey.

I feel like the coach made sure he got his fair share of cash.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #2092
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Ummm please note the name on that back of that QB's jersey.

I feel like the coach made sure he got his fair share of cash.

Sometimes in life hard choices have to be made. 16/36 and 2 picks ain't gonna get you to FSU with me son.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #2093
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Mack Brown and Shane Beamer agree to mayonnaise bath for winner of Duke's Mayo Bowl - CBSSports.com

Shouldn't the loser be punished with a mayo bath, not the winner "rewarded"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #2094
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Looks like the controversy in the Cure Bowl hasn't died down yet. Apparently, the "3 second rule" is for having adequate time to snap and spike the ball. I think NIU was planning on lining up while the ball was being re-spotted, snapping the ball on the referee's whistle, and running a potential game winning play.

MAC commissioner: End of Cure Bowl between Northern Illinois and Coastal Carolina 'unacceptable'
Old 12-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #2095
Ksyrup

Yes, the end of that game was completely screwed up. There's no way the rules are setup for the clock to wind after being stopped while the ref is holding play and hasn't moved (or is in the process of moving) from behind center. Seriously, if they had hiked it before it hit zero, the ball would have hit the ref.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #2096
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, the end of that game was completely screwed up. There's no way the rules are setup for the clock to wind after being stopped while the ref is holding play and hasn't moved (or is in the process of moving) from behind center. Seriously, if they had hiked it before it hit zero, the ball would have hit the ref.

The whole thing was weird. It seemed like the one ref called the play inbounds but wasn't really sure about his decision and the other refs panicked.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #2097
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina QB Grayson McCall returning for one more year after some talk he would enter the transfer portal
Old 12-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #2098
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina QB Grayson McCall returning for one more year after some talk he would enter the transfer portal

And with a certain .... flair lol

Gray on Twitter: "… "
Old 12-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #2099
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
And with a certain .... flair lol

Gray on Twitter: "… "

Yeah think that one will go up in the locker room somewhere
Old 12-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #2100
bob
College Starter

Former GT RB Gibbs officially announced his transfer to Alabama.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote