Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2016, 02:51 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Google translate app

This thing is so much fun to play around with!

Not only does it have the "magic seeming" on-screen translate, you can have it do voice translate. You set it to say, English to German and say something and then it speaks it back in German, then listens for a German reply which it will translate back to English - will be very handy on trips.

They did this video showing the on-screen translate.

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
CraigSca
Pro Starter

When we were in China last year, we used it a lot. My daughter needed a spoon at breakfast, and after attempting charades for a while, I whipped out the phone, said "spoon" and then showed them the screen. It was awesome.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Does it need an internet connection to work or is everything on your device?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

This really came in handy for us last year too when we were travelling around South/Central America - especially on menus. It's a bit fiddly to find the right angle/distance from the page to get everything translated just right, but the snapshot function is great once you do.

I didn't have any data at the time - as long as you have the language pack you needed pre-downloaded, it will work fine.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Does it need an internet connection to work or is everything on your device?

It does rely on the internet, sadly. At least for me it does - if I put my phone in airplane mode I am not able to use the voice or typed translation - keeps saying network error.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 01-20-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hmm, maybe I did have a data plan while using it in Colombia, but I don't remember if so. Maybe it depends on the language pack?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well there's three different kinds of translation in the app. It could be that the "point the phone at a foreign language and it translates it on your screen" part works, but the "say stuff and it says it in a foreign language" and "write stuff via typing or handwriting and it translates" don't - I didn't really try the first kind in my test.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Because I care about FOFC, I put my phone on airplane mode and just tried a simple on-screen translation: "Translation failed. Retry. No network. Get the offline language package to translate this without internet access" and a link to download.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote