Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #451
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Kalani was able to get some big dogs in over the final OV weekend including officials from:

Simi Fehoko
Mique Juarez

and then out of the blue we get an unofficial from Najee Harris (2017 Class)?

Kalani came out saying recruiting is #1 and honestly, I can't count ever, the amount of talent BYU has had like this weekend on campus.

Simi came out and said he is strong Stanford, Mique from what I am hearing is headed to UCLA and Najee, well...He is Bama strong from what I gather.

But our class jumped 15 spots in the rankings in the past 2 weeks which to me, is all Kalani.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #452
MrBug708
Head Coach

Najee has a trainer who is really close to one of the new staff at BYU. I've heard he's likely to flip to ucla but we'll see.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #453
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I really liked Mack Brown's strategy of locking up his classes well in advance of NSD. This uncertainty is killing me!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #454
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Najee has a trainer who is really close to one of the new staff at BYU. I've heard he's likely to flip to ucla but we'll see.

Is it the assistant S&C coach we picked up from USC?

I didn't know that.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #455
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I really liked Mack Brown's strategy of locking up his classes well in advance of NSD. This uncertainty is killing me!

If it is any consolation this is more of a national shift, by the players themselves, than it is a philosophy difference between Brown and Strong.

For example Clemson hasnt had a NSD commit in 3 years and only 1 tracker. Dabo has long shared Brown's vision and in fact spent several weeks with him the summer he got the full time gig. We are going to the wire on 6-7 guys this year and should land 3 at least...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #456
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - to expand a bit (and for some reason I cant edit that post) the postseason award games have gotten into the act.

I know of at least one recruit who was told he was borderline for earning an invite to the UA all american game, but if he would announce on the broadcast he would get an invite.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #457
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Dola - to expand a bit (and for some reason I cant edit that post) the postseason award games have gotten into the act.

I know of at least one recruit who was told he was borderline for earning an invite to the UA all american game, but if he would announce on the broadcast he would get an invite.
Not a surprise at all. I would guess that much of the interest in watching those games is the on-air commitment announcements.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #458
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's very fair.

I think my post history will show I've been a BIG Harbaugh fan. His behavior recently has been weirder than usual. I'm worried about him from afar honestly.

I HATE OSU and a good friend is a Michigan grad so I want Michigan to be good.
I have no built-in bias against Michigan either, and despite Harbaugh being a rival coach with the 49ers and Stanford, I actually really respected him prior to his recent shenanigans. He's clearly one of the best coaches out there, and I was rooting for him to take the Michigan job and get them back to competing for titles.

But the recent weirdness in recruiting from him and the lame last-minute dumping of recruits is not a good look for the Wolverines. I didn't much like that kind of behavior from Sark when he was at Washington, and now that I've seen how Chris Petersen operates and how effective he is (you commit to him, he commits to you - none of this dumping a commit so you can fit in a guy you like better later on), I really despise that kind of behavior by coaches.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #459
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
and now that I've seen how Chris Petersen operates and how effective he is (you commit to him, he commits to you - none of this dumping a commit so you can fit in a guy you like better later on), I really despise that kind of behavior by coaches.

Agreed.

And the funny thing is "the right thing" sells itself.

I can guarantee you this example was set forth this weekend for Gary.

Jake Nicolopulos was a 3* LB from TL Hannah HS in Anderson, SC. A small town roughly 20 miles from Clemson. In 2008 as an interim HS Dabo Swinney offered Jake a scholarship and Jake committed on the spot to his childhood favorite. A week before high school graduation Jake suffered a stroke. He was told he'd never walk again if he survived. At his bedside Coach Swinney and Coach (Brad) Scott told him his scholarship would be honored whenever he could attend Clemson, and that it would bean ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP and he would be guaranteed up to 5 years to get his degree. Jake recovered, his scholarship was honored, though he never played a down. He was allowed to run down the hill with the team and dress for every game (home and away) his freshman season. After that year he wanted to pursue coaching knowing he would never be able to play. For 4 more years Jake was an undergrad assistant and then a graduate assistant.

Now do you think any good salesman would miss the opportunity to point out to mom, when we commit to a kid we honor it. We cant say the same thing for others....
Old 02-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #460
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wow.

Quote:
While Nebraska recruited him as a receiver, Simmons said Michigan told him it was losing both its starting safeties -- as they would move incumbent safety/corner Jabril Peppers, a 2014 five-star, to running back if Simmons came.

"They wanted me for defense because their situation was like Clemson's as well," Simmons said. "They told me they were going to move (Peppers), but you never know if that's really going to happen because he was one of their best defensive players. I didn't really know if that would happen."

Michigan guys, any word of this?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #461
Butter
Coordinator

That's so transparently BS, you really have to wonder between this, the reneging on commitments, the sleepovers... If he's playing the game, some kids will love it, but a lot are going to be turned off by all of it.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #462
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
but a lot are going to be turned off by all of it.

See also: Gary, Rashaun
Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #463
Butter
Coordinator

Oh, and that's not to mention the Signing Day party with his "buds" Tom Brady and Derek Jeter. There's not a big enough rolleyes emoji to cover that for me.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #464
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
See also: Gary, Rashaun

Clemson feeling confident today?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #465
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Wow.

Michigan guys, any word of this?

Makes no sense. Peppers played mainly nickel. He wouldn't even be here when Simmons was contributing, since he's a fairly safe bet to declare next year.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote