Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #51
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Actually DC is great for recruiting people to play the game, but is horrible at recruiting players within the game. Oh snap!

Wow.just.WOW.

Cut me some slack man, it's my first time

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #52
SunDevil
College Prospect

Leave the Post Hussie alone.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #53
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
yeah, dang you two, now I'm torn. I'd seen your conference with many FOFCers I know I'd get along well with, but I'd already spotted a couple of big schools I wanted to really get my hand onto. Now DC got me printing out the New Mexico roster, looking at their commits and such things, devilish lady!

Stupid question, is there any way to look at past season standings?

FM

Only if you have the game, and have a password to the file. Once you have the file open, you can look at past standings and past recruiting rankings, but its not possible as far as i know unless your a coach with the game.

As for team selection, its dicey. My personal reccomendation would be to take a better team, as a lot of the people who dont enjoy the league are the ones losing. Taking New Mexico, even if you like the others, is going to be a major work in progress type job. If you want a top team, their are a few top 10-15 teams available...if you want a mid major, miami ohio is undefeated and #3 in the nation on the back of their awesome RB. Take New Mexico if you want, but dont expect to be winning much if anything anytime soon.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #54
Antmeister
Pro Starter

By the way, since this is my first season in the league, will the teams get promoted/demoted due to perfomance/standings? Just curious becuase I like to do this in my single player league and it definitely adds something.

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-24-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #55
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
By the way, since this is my first season in the league, will the teams get promoted/demoted due to perfomance/standings? Just curious.

Nope. I don't believe that is an option in MP. Well it could be but I have yet to see it happen in our league.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #56
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Only if you have the game, and have a password to the file. Once you have the file open, you can look at past standings and past recruiting rankings, but its not possible as far as i know unless your a coach with the game.

As for team selection, its dicey. My personal reccomendation would be to take a better team, as a lot of the people who dont enjoy the league are the ones losing. Taking New Mexico, even if you like the others, is going to be a major work in progress type job. If you want a top team, their are a few top 10-15 teams available...if you want a mid major, miami ohio is undefeated and #3 in the nation on the back of their awesome RB. Take New Mexico if you want, but dont expect to be winning much if anything anytime soon.

I guess it depends on who you are. I like to take a struggling team and see if I could build it up to a contender. I feel like I accomplish a lot more than taking a top team and fighting for the top 10th of the recruiting classes.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #57
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
No, we don't have conference movement, but prestige movement is set to high.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #58
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Nope. I don't believe that is an option in MP. Well it could be but I have yet to see it happen in our league.

Hmmm, has this been considered. Because, when playing it in single player, being promoted gets your a better pool of recruits and gives your team a chance to contend for the National Championship if you are consistently putting up a good record.

Because as it stands now, has anyone in the Mountain West got past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #59
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
No, we don't have conference movement, but prestige movement is set to high.

So does this mean that a poorly performing team will drastically drop in prestige while opposite for the other?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #60
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
So does this mean that a poorly performing team will drastically drop in prestige while opposite for the other?

Its not 30 points drastic, but ive seen teams make jumps of up to 10 points after an incredibly good or bad season(aka my wisconsin team after the national title win 2 years back). I think the norm is 2-5 points for a good or bad season, and minimal change if you play 500 ball. Once you hit the top or bottom of the prestige charts though, it gets harder to gain/lose points though.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #61
Blade6119
Coordinator

for example, id imagine Miami of Ohio is going to get a nice prestige bump after the season their having, considering their ranked #4 in the nation and undefeated despite only having a prestige in the mid 40s
Demotivation
Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #62
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

That's what I had sort of figured, that it would be possible in game, but not presented in the html... Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Here's how I assess the New Mexico situation. Yeah, it's a lower program, but it's also situated in a lower kind of conference. I mean, they are playing a 6-4 season. Probably with a cakewalk out of conference schedule, since they went 3-4 in conference, 3-0 out of it, but still, they were projected for 6th and that's what they are achieving right now. Sure, I don't think they're gonna have a ton of success on a national level, but here is fun to be had on a conference level, or again, comparing yourself against yourself, if you know what I mean. Trying to do better from one season to the next is a noble goal, and doing it while fighting with people you know would certainly be a lot of fun.

Thanks for your opinion though, very much appreciated. I'm still thinking about it.

Among other high prestige programs I saw that were still available there were Florida, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, and to a smaller scale, North Carolina...

FM
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #63
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and yes, Miami of Ohio is an interesting one but then I'd be in the opposite situation to New Mexico, in a conference with only one other human player...

FM
Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #64
Icy
Pro Starter

Damn you guys, this thread is making me to think about rejoining the FOFC-BBCF league. I left it in the past after not being able to devote enough time to it as i was in a lot of MP leagues, so i had to cut some, but i must admit BBCF is an awesome game and i'm seriously thinking on joining too.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #65
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Damn you guys, this thread is making me to think about rejoining the FOFC-BBCF league. I left it in the past after not being able to devote enough time to it as i was in a lot of MP leagues, so i had to cut some, but i must admit BBCF is an awesome game and i'm seriously thinking on joining too.

It'd be cool if you did! I understand not having a lot of time, but that's why there's a nifty "suggest" button
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #66
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Among other high prestige programs I saw that were still available there were Florida, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, and to a smaller scale, North Carolina...

FM

Notes for ya on those few...VT is off the board basically, as Detoxrox is moving from Arizona there after the season...its not official, because coach hiring/moving isnt open yet, but it think its to some extent claimed.

I would avoid North Carolina, as much of their success is based upon a few absolutely stellar upperclassmen. I dont see the depth their to continue to success their having right now, though knowing you that may be a positive

Florida and Ole Miss are fine choices, and i would toss pitt out as a team that is on level of the conference champs with a fun conference.

Knowing you and how you like to play FM, i cant imagine you taking anyone but New Mexico. That said, this advice is as much for you as others possibly interested. FOFC BBCF is a fun league, with a fun game, and you should all really considered joining up. Ask the newcomers if they enjoy it, and i think your response would be pretty universal for the positive.
Demotivation
Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #67
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I would avoid North Carolina, as much of their success is based upon a few absolutely stellar upperclassmen. I dont see the depth their to continue to success their having right now, though knowing you that may be a positive

Yeah, the just above average prestige combined with the results they are having kinda told me they could be a challenge in themselve.

Quote:
Knowing you and how you like to play FM, i cant imagine you taking anyone but New Mexico. That said, this advice is as much for you as others possibly interested. FOFC BBCF is a fun league, with a fun game, and you should all really considered joining up. Ask the newcomers if they enjoy it, and i think your response would be pretty universal for the positive.

And that's what I just did. Request to take over the reign of New Mexico was just posted a few seconds ago.

FM
Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #68
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah, the just above average prestige combined with the results they are having kinda told me they could be a challenge in themselve.

And that's what I just did. Request to take over the reign of New Mexico was just posted a few seconds ago.

FM

Our conference is completely ful... BOOYAH!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #69
Antmeister
Pro Starter

And like I said before, DC is light years better at recruiting people to join a league than she is at actually recruiting people within the game. Pumpy Tudors, Neon Chaos, and now Frogman landed in the Mountain West because of her recruiting pitch.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #70
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

What teams are still open. I wouldn't mind VT.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #71
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Open teams are listed in a post on the first page.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...7&postcount=36

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-24-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #72
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
And like I said before, DC is light years better at recruiting people to join a league than she is at actually recruiting people within the game. Pumpy Tudors, Neon Chaos, and now Frogman landed in the Mountain West because of her recruiting pitch.

I can't argue that... unfortunately for me I can't talk to pixels in the game
Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #73
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post

I believe I have VT for next year tho you'll have to confirm with Cartman.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #74
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

And Virginia Tech is open.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #75
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

And with Froggie taking over New Mexico, I believe our conference is the only one that's 100% human owned
Old 09-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #76
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
dola,

And with Froggie taking over New Mexico, I believe our conference is the only one that's 100% human owned

I believe it is, although I still need to get over 50% approval, hopefully it won't be a problem

As for talking to pixels, don't worry, I'm trying my hand at recruiting in the demo right now and I'm afraid I won't be too good in the league either. I am kinda lost right now to be honest...

FM
Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #77
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
DeToxRox did put in a request to ask for a transfer to Va Tech at the end of this season, back at the beginning of the season. So when we start making new coach/transfer coach decisions after the championship game, he is first in line.

As for the guys who created accounts today, I don't activate accounts until a team has been awarded. It's just easier for me to keep track of that way, and it's a bit of league security involved as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #78
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Let me know Florida and Old Miss would be cool too..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #79
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Let me know Florida and Old Miss would be cool too..

Both are avaialble
Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #80
Radii
Head Coach

argh, i'm in the same boat as icy, i quit b/c i didn't have enough time, but i probably do now, this thread is tempting me!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #81
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
argh, i'm in the same boat as icy, i quit b/c i didn't have enough time, but i probably do now, this thread is tempting me!

May as well. It's a blast.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #82
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sweet lord, had I known my reviving a thread that was almost 2.5 months old would cause this muc excitement, I'd have charged cartman a fee

FM
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #83
cartman
Death Herald

Also, just so folks know, we are currently in a new coach moratorium until after the championship game. There are two times each year where we aren't taking in new coaches. First is between Week 10 of the regular season and the championship game, and the other is between week 7 of recruiting and the end of recruiting.

The Championship Game is scheduled for Oct. 11th, so there is a little more than two weeks for prospective coaches to decide on which teams they would like to request.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #84
st.cronin
General Manager

New Mexico is a tough school to recruit to, because New Mexico is placed in the "West" region for recruiting purposes. Most of the top recruits are from California, and you'll be fighting SD State, Utah, and BYU for those players. I've played the Lobos in SP a few times, and have always found it a very tough program to win at.

- my .02

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #85
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
New Mexico is a tough school to recruit to, because New Mexico is placed in the "West" region for recruiting purposes. Most of the top recruits are from California, and you'll be fighting SD State, Utah, and BYU for those players. I've played the Lobos in SP a few times, and have always found it a very tough program to win at.

- my .02

And don't even think about trying to breach the Great Recruiting Wall of Texas to your east. Or you can always do what cronin does, and convince a couple of my top recruits to transfer each season.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #86
st.cronin
General Manager

Yeah, forgot to mention that the sucky thing about officially being in the "west" is that you really can't effectively recruit in Texas.

knives out
Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #87
st.cronin
General Manager

dola, that said, I'm excited to have you in the Mountain West.

knives out
Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #88
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Word.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #89
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
Word.

I believe Northern Illinois is open.

knives out
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #90
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

- my .02

Quote:
Yeah, forgot to mention that the sucky thing about officially being in the "west" is that you really can't effectively recruit in Texas.

ooooookay, looks like I'm in for a challenge I guess...

Quote:
dola, that said, I'm excited to have you in the Mountain West.

thanks.

FM
Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #91
st.cronin
General Manager

I should add that I have found recruiting much, much easier in mp than I did in sp. I'm not sure if it's just a function of playing in Texas, or if most human coaches aren't very good at recruiting, but in general I've had very little trouble finding good players.

knives out
Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #92
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Northern Illinois?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #93
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Hey don't hate on NIU, that's my alma mater!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 PM   #94
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have to admit, if Indiana was available, I would have a hard time resisting the temptation to join. And I don't even have the game.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #95
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I just can't do it. I bought FOF2001 and just didn't like playing the game.

I bought FOF2004 and 7 to join MP leagues. Most of the time I've just been frustrated as I don't understand the game and/or how it works...and I don't want to commit the time to try and figure it out.

I tried the demo to this game when it came out, and found it...well, quirky. I thought it would be worth a shot if it was improved in areas, but I read something somewhere from the developer that made me feel that the game wasn't going to be developed/patched to my satisfaction.

Even if Tennessee were open, I'd have to pass. I don't want to subject myself to more frustration.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #96
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I have to admit, if Indiana was available, I would have a hard time resisting the temptation to join. And I don't even have the game.

I think it is available, it was the team i was coaching when i left the league.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #97
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
ooooookay, looks like I'm in for a challenge I guess...

thanks.

FM

WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME, B*TCH!

(seriously, great to have you in the conference)
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #98
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
I just can't do it. I bought FOF2001 and just didn't like playing the game.

I bought FOF2004 and 7 to join MP leagues. Most of the time I've just been frustrated as I don't understand the game and/or how it works...and I don't want to commit the time to try and figure it out.

I tried the demo to this game when it came out, and found it...well, quirky. I thought it would be worth a shot if it was improved in areas, but I read something somewhere from the developer that made me feel that the game wasn't going to be developed/patched to my satisfaction.

Even if Tennessee were open, I'd have to pass. I don't want to subject myself to more frustration.

I know that, like me, you're a big fan of TCY. I also was not impressed with the early versions of BBCF. But the game as it is now is not at all the same game that was initially released.

Maybe its still not for you, but I love this game.

knives out
Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #99
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I think it is available, it was the team i was coaching when i left the league.

Lungs is now the coach at Indiana. But Icy, you should see how one of the O-Lineman you recruited really blossome into a super stud
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #100
MCK
n00b

Quote:

I left North Carolina for UCLA this past season. Besides the first season's recruiting (which would be this years seniors), I had problems competing with the southeast for recruits. Not to many came out of NC and I couldn't make up my mind what region to recruit in the most. Plus at the time the ACC only had 3 human owners and the Pac-10 was full except for UCLA. Also the Washington owner is a friend of mine from work, so I made the move out west. At least I know I was doing somethings right my 3 seasons there.
MCK is online now   Reply With Quote