Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #351
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Or not...RB was certainly not high up on the priority list, so I think this is a typical Coach Whiz best player available kind of pick. Beanie Wells can't stay healthy, Hightower's been up and down, maybe they think this guy is going to be so much better than them. But still a strange pick with so many bigger needs.

following up on this according to the coach, Williams was the #15 on their Big Board and apparantly when Williams was in for a pre-draft workout for them, Coach told him he'd get taken at their pick in the second round if he lasted that long. They liked that he never fumbled during his college career-given Hightower's struggles there last season, and Beanie Wells being injury prone the pick makes a little more sense-but then again Williams is coming off an injury himself.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #352
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Well he's proven to be crap at drafting RB's I guess, so he must figure he needs to grab a couple and play the numbers game.

Are we going to have a pass-rush though, or are we just going to lean on our 18 DB's to stop the pass?

The Lions will have a pass rush. As for DB's...

I'll jump out the window if, tomorrow, Detroit grabs a TE.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #353
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yup that was the Raiders overpaying for a fast guy with no other discernible skills whatsoever... I guess at least they waited until the third round this time.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #354
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Stanzi will be a four rounder at best. If I'm a QB needy team, I would really look for him here.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #355
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So the trade ending up being Randy Moss for Ryan Mallett.

A double slap in the face to the Vikings if Mallet turns out.

I always love the Pats drafts. They get value in everything they do. Even if Mallet is a complete bust they were basically given this pick from the Vikings so why not take the chance on a huge upside QB like Mallet.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-30-2011 at 12:16 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #356
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I know I would be put up for blasphemy by the pundits for saying this, but I don't see how the NFL network can keep saying New England had a great draft. They had 6 picks in the top 3 rounds and didn't get a pass rusher, even though many quality pass rushers were available (and a handful still remain). But, with no 4th round picks and just one 5th rounder, it's unlikely they have a chance to get one.

If the Browns or Raiders had the pass rush deficiencies the Pats did last season and drafted all depth (but no pass rush) with 6 picks - they be drawn and quartered by the media. Yet, all we hear from Michael Lombardi and John Gruden is how much of a genius Belichick is. Hey, maybe the ghost of Charles Haley will sign and the Pats will have a great pass rush, but I just can't understand this draft for them. The tackle was a nice pick, but after that I don't see how 2 depth HBs, a backup QB and a dime DB are "great value" in the next 2 rounds.

Last edited by Arles : 04-30-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #357
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Great value pick by BB there. Get Mallet mid-draft so you can groom him for the future and then either flip him if Brady keeps playing, or potentially have him as a starter if Brady is gone in 3-4 years.

Yeah, groom him then trade him for a couple of 1's...Then trade those for a bucketfull of 2's and 3's making BB a very happy camper.....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #358
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If Bowers can get healthy Tampa may end up having the best top 3 rounds. a lot of people don't know about Mason Foster, but the kid is a tackle machine with a motor that doesn't quit.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #359
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I know I would be put up for blasphemy by the pundits for saying this, but I don't see how the NFL network can keep saying New England had a great draft. They had 6 picks in the top 3 rounds and didn't get a pass rusher, even though many quality pass rushers were available (and a handful still remain). But, with no 4th round picks and just one 5th rounder, it's unlikely they have a chance to get one.

If the Browns or Raiders had the pass rush deficiencies the Pats did last season and drafted all depth (but no pass rush) with 6 picks - they be drawn and quartered by the media. Yet, all we hear from Michael Lombardi and John Gruden is how much of a genius Belichick is. Hey, maybe the ghost of Charles Haley will sign and the Pats will have a great pass rush, but I just can't understand this draft for them. The tackle was a nice pick, but after that I don't see how 2 depth HBs, a backup QB and a dime DB are "great value" in the next 2 rounds.

You could've said the exact same thing last year. The dime DB they picked up, along with some TEs, were pretty savvy choices. But they did miss out on Pre-Draft All-Pros Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #360
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Just from a casual observer, I think the Lions have had an excellent draft so far. A 3rd, 5th, and a 7th isn't that much for a 2nd. Mikel Leshoure could be an excellent complement to Jahvid Best. It seems like they're going for players they really value as opposed to trying to fill their biggest needs. This is the approach that Bill Polian seems to employ with the Colts. It used to bother me when he'd take guys like Reggie Wayne when our defense was terrible but I've come to realize he knows what he's doing. I'm not saying the Lions know what they're doing but it looks like they're going after players they really like as opposed to trying to draft players to fill their biggest needs. In the long run, I think that mentality works best.

I think it helps that Manning is there. If they have even an above average QB, it doesn't look so good. If Stafford would stay healthy, the Lions will look brilliant as well.

I guess I just don't see how the Lions saw no CB, or LB worth taking and they were obviously willing to trade up to get a guy. I understand the importance of the 2nd RB for what the Lions need right now, but I just wouldn't of used a 2nd round pick to fill that need. You grab starters in round 2 and not people who rotate in. They picked two players in the 2nd round and neither will be on the field full time.

Here's an article defending the picks.
2011 NFL Draft Results: Detroit Lions Use Draft Day 2 to Fill Underrated Needs | Bleacher Report
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #361
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
You could've said the exact same thing last year. The dime DB they picked up, along with some TEs, were pretty savvy choices. But they did miss out on Pre-Draft All-Pros Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle.
Kindle was badly injured and everyone (outside of some pundits) knew this and people smartly passed. But, I thought they had a good draft last year. They needed help in the secondary, a pass rusher, to replace some aging LBs and insurance on Welker. They got a very good CB in round 1, 2 good receiving TEs (Welker insurance), a decent pass rusher in 3 (Cunningham), a WR (4) and a younger LB (4). All seemed like decent picks that got value and would fill a role.

This year didn't make any sense. They needed depth at the interior OL, a tackle, multiple pass rushers, wide receivers and a between the tackles HB. Instead, they got a Faulk/Woodhead clone (Vereen), a backup QB, a dime CB and two solid picks (Solder and HB Ridley). But, even if all these guys pan out, only the HB has a chance to really help next season. Atleast last year they got multiple guys that could help the team. As it stands now, they're going to have to keep 4-5 HBs just to keep the HBs they drafted. And, the team still has major issues at pass rusher, interior OL depth and wide receiver.

I understand the "best player available", but you also have to have some idea on how the best-case of that player helps you win games. The Packers could have had Andy Dalton as the BPA when they picked at 32, but drafting him would have been silly when they have Rodgers and a gaping hole at tackle (with 2-3 nice options at tackle also available). I think you can give some benefit to the Pats because of prior history, but I don't see anyway that this current draft isn't a poor one when you consider their chances the next couple of seasons to win the Super Bowl.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #362
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It seems to me that Dowling will be more than a dime CB. I love that pick. Between the two HBs, Woodhead and BJGE (if brought back) the running game should continue to be effective. I don't see the need at WR. They've got Branch, Welker, Tate, Edelman and I would imagine they want to get Price a chance to see what he's got.

I agree the pass rush (which was middle of the pack last year) needs improvement, but I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick didn't like the options available where we drafted and figured that he'd try to address it in FA instead. Belichick certainly has confidence in his ability to rate players and doesn't reach for need.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #363
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Stanzi will be a four rounder at best. If I'm a QB needy team, I would really look for him here.

Hello 5th round. He's basically being viewed as a 3rd string QB.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #364
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I think it helps that Manning is there. If they have even an above average QB, it doesn't look so good. If Stafford would stay healthy, the Lions will look brilliant as well.

I guess I just don't see how the Lions saw no CB, or LB worth taking and they were obviously willing to trade up to get a guy. I understand the importance of the 2nd RB for what the Lions need right now, but I just wouldn't of used a 2nd round pick to fill that need. You grab starters in round 2 and not people who rotate in. They picked two players in the 2nd round and neither will be on the field full time.

Here's an article defending the picks.
2011 NFL Draft Results: Detroit Lions Use Draft Day 2 to Fill Underrated Needs | Bleacher Report

I've been out and I am not in love with the second round but I don't hate it. There were no LB's or DB's worth taking when we took Young. Brandon Harris is 5'9 and we already have Smith at 5'7. Lions want bigger DB's so no one fit the bill there.

There are LB's in FA they can get though it's hard to predict how FA will go. Trading up for LeShoure was odd but Linehan has been pretty good at getting guys involved so I'll trust it.

I'd just rather not draft guy because he could help us out at DB or LB. Next thing you know it's 2-3 years later and the guy is no better then what you had and it's back to square one.

We can probably find a DB in FA who would make as much impact as any DB we'd have taken in the second in my opinion.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #365
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I've been out and I am not in love with the second round but I don't hate it.

I guess I just wished they waited until the 3rd round. They traded up twice into the 1st and 2nd rounds to get guys who will split time at RB. As somebody who had watched the Lions for far too long, they pretty much never go after CB and have a horrid secondary and it's frustrating to watch.

Stanzi to KC. Nice pick up for a backup QB.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #366
Atocep
Coordinator

New England usually knows what they're doing with TEs so I'm really surprised they took Lee Smith. They must see something there but he was absolutely awful last season at Marshall. He can block pretty well but that is literally it. Some of the worst hands I've seen on a tight end and runs like a 330lb tackle.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #367
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm glad Angelo decided the bears need a 3rd string QB more than depth on the OLine, at LB, or WR.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #368
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Don't know anything about him, but I imagine a blocking tight end is all they're looking for there. Would replace Crumpler, I guess.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #369
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Excited to see the Pack take Ricky Elmore. I watched him all season and he reminded me a ton of Teddy Bruschi. Had 11 sacks last season, was never hurt and always seemed to make a big play. He's not a "numbers" guy that will wow you at the combine, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up taking a bunch of snaps opposite Clay Matthews this season as an OLB pass rusher.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #370
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

D3football.com

Cecil Shorts became the highest selection for a Division III player in the NFL draft in the seven-round era, going 114th overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars and ending a two-year D-III draft drought.

There hadn't been a Division III football player drafted by an NFL team since Pierre Garcon and Andy Studebaker were taken two spots apart in 2008.

Of the past 10 Division III players drafted, just one had gone any earlier than the sixth round: UW-Stout cornerback Tony Beckham, who was selected in the fourth round, 115th overall, in 2002.

One hundred fifty-seven players will be selected in Saturday's final four rounds.

Shorts, a three-time D3football.com All-America selection, caught 70 passes for 1,196 yards and 18 touchdowns for the Purple Raiders last season, leading them to the Stagg Bowl for the sixth consecutive year. He even played quarterback and a little on defense in Mount Union's title-game loss to UW-Whitewater.

Worth noting that Garcon went to Mt. Union too. They've been to 10 national title games in the last 11 years winning six of them.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #371
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kinda stunned that Kai Forbath hasn't been picked. Maybe he should have left last year when he was a 4th or 5th round pick
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #372
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If Bowers can get healthy Tampa may end up having the best top 3 rounds. a lot of people don't know about Mason Foster, but the kid is a tackle machine with a motor that doesn't quit.

Very glad to hear that about Foster...we've been hoping for a LB like this for a while, hope he turns out as you think he might.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #373
Izulde
Head Coach

Nice pick the 'Phins made with Edmund Gates in the 4th round, I think. Still going to be a long, long year next season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #374
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mount Union has a really good football program and it is surprising that they don't have more people drafted. Nice school, but Alliance Ohio is such a shitty town.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #375
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
New England usually knows what they're doing with TEs so I'm really surprised they took Lee Smith. They must see something there but he was absolutely awful last season at Marshall. He can block pretty well but that is literally it. Some of the worst hands I've seen on a tight end and runs like a 330lb tackle.

With a pair of catching TEs on the roster, my guess is he's intended as a blocking TE and maybe FB to help the running game.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #376
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Brilliant move by Belichick trading pick 193 for pick 194.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #377
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I'm glad the Bills went so heavy on the secondary...Heaven knows they dont need Offensive linemen and a pass catching te...... Brian Brohm is going to be starting by game 10 thanks to the human turnstiles they have on the line...
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #378
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm probably as guilty as anyone of this, but this season's aberrant setup seems to have magnified the usual "the draft is on an island" mentality.

I really disagree with the notion that unless a particular team spends its 4th, 5th, 5th, and 7th round picks on supposed "need" positions, that it has clearly shirked its responsibilities. In an ordinary year (and in the final analysis, we still ought to expect some facsimile of one) a team addresses its needs through free agents and post-draft rookies as well as draft picks per se... and the success rates of after-draft rookies is not that much different than that of late round draft picks.

If my team really needs a fullback to step in and play for this year (for instance), I'm going to try to resist the temptation to get irate that they don't draft that guy in round six of this draft. Even though it sort of feels that way right now, that is really not the most promising way to acquire the guy they're looking for.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #379
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really wish they would shorten the draft to 100 or so picks. IMO it would be more fair for on the bubble players to have a choice of where they can make a team.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #380
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Well he's proven to be crap at drafting RB's I guess, so he must figure he needs to grab a couple and play the numbers game.

Are we going to have a pass-rush though, or are we just going to lean on our 18 DB's to stop the pass?
I think a healthy Jermaine Cunningham (and the return of Ty Warren) is the answer at pass rush, and I also really like Ras-I Dowling at DB - not many corners have that size. They've also consistently shown they want their OLB's to set the edge vs. the run first, so while I would have liked Cam Jordan I wasn't as impresse with the other options like Brooks Reed and Cam Heyward.

Like Quiksand points out, anything after the 3rd round is a crapshoot, so I liked the Marcus Cannon pick - why not go with a guy who had a late 1st/2nd-round grade and a huge injury question (but one that can be overcome instead of a degenerative condition). The TE, OLB and DB probably won't help, but only 10-20% of 6th/7th rounders even make a roster.

Mallett is a project, and it looks a little odd with a backup they like (most say more than Matt Cassell) in Brian Hoyer, but Hoyer will be a UFA before Brady retires - I think in 2013, although I could be off. If Mallett performs well on and off the field once he gets in New England, Hoyer can probably be the one traded for a 2 or a 3 in the next 2 years.

At OT I know local people wanted Castonzo, but I'm sure the Patriots have seen plenty of him, so if they took Solder I'll trust them. He definitely has more upside if he can keep his weight up (kind of odd for an OL to have issues with that instead of the other way around ).

Final note - got to love the 6th round trade there to keep the streak alive of 11 straight years of trades between the Pats and Eagles.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #381
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
I'm glad the Bills went so heavy on the secondary...Heaven knows they dont need Offensive linemen and a pass catching te...... Brian Brohm is going to be starting by game 10 thanks to the human turnstiles they have on the line...

We don't really need linemen. They drafted Eric Wood and Andy Levitre in the first and second round in 2009, and both are developing into good players. Throw in Geoff Hangartner and were set inside. We needed a RT, and Harriston may fit the bill (Who might be great value at getting picked in the 4th round). If the FA market opens up at all, they could find a veteran or so. But our young line will be a year older and have a QB that isn't a full-on headcase.

TE is a need, but I wasn't exactly wowed by any of them in the draft.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #382
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

after re reading this thread and my own thoughts as well, I just have to bump this. It has been only 1 year but I can't get over what Cam has done this season. I was fucking pissed when they took him, I still am not sure if I like him as a human or not (granted he has been well behaved so far) but holy shit after one season I have to eat my hat.

Greatest rookie season by a QB ever.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #383
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Very glad to hear that about Foster...we've been hoping for a LB like this for a while, hope he turns out as you think he might.

Give Lathum credit...all Foster did was come in and lead all rookies in tackles. Named to the Football Outsiders All Rookie team.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #384
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Quote:
And, the team still has major issues at pass rusher, interior OL depth and wide receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I agree the pass rush (which was middle of the pack last year) needs improvement, but I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick didn't like the options available where we drafted and figured that he'd try to address it in FA instead. Belichick certainly has confidence in his ability to rate players and doesn't reach for need.

With our hindsight glasses on, pass rush turned out OK (first pair of 10 sack players since 1985, both from free agency), the OL and passing options only produced 5000 passing yards.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 01-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #385
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
after re reading this thread and my own thoughts as well, I just have to bump this. It has been only 1 year but I can't get over what Cam has done this season. I was fucking pissed when they took him, I still am not sure if I like him as a human or not (granted he has been well behaved so far) but holy shit after one season I have to eat my hat.

Greatest rookie season by a QB ever.

Yep. I really missed the boat on him. I didn't think he'd be nearly that good.

*eats crow*
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #386
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I'm very happy with the Saints draft- Jordan at 24, and then I'm happy with the trade for Ingram.

I hope Bush returns, I've been one of his biggest supporters but if he doesn't take a pay cut then we will do just fine without him (hell we have for half the time he's been here and been hurt). I don't think the Ingram pick affects his role on the team at all, it takes a couple touches away from Pierre- but really it puts Ivory back as the # 4 guy (maybe 5 depending on how Lynell Hamilton looks in TC)

I'm always worried when I see a thread like this bumped and hope I didn't say anything to bad.

I stand by what I say about our 2 picks, turned out pretty much how I expected. We were able to get some solid players late in the draft as Martez Wilson and Johnny Patrick have looked great the past few games. Reggie is gone, Sproles is in- and we're a lot better team. (Only 6 fumbles all year for our team, Reggie normally had that by week 10).

Count me in on those who thought Cam would be a huge flop, but he's looked great. Time will tell how he does for his career, a lot of players come in and do great their first year then kind of trail off- I don't know if he'll do that, I mean he has all the tools right now.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #387
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Yep. I really missed the boat on him. I didn't think he'd be nearly that good.

*eats crow*

I'll do the same, with the reservation that I still want to see him have continued success next year with an offseason of teams breaking down his film and scheming against him. I think when you have such a unique talent, you have to give the opposition a chance to adjust before declaring someone a star. Of course, any adjustments could be outweighed by his continued development as a passer. I'd say the odds are very heavily in his favor at this point though, IMO.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #388
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Cam had an impressive rookie campaign but I'm not ready to get him fitted for a yellow jacket just yet.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #389
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
As I said earlier, it would be a no-brainer that the Panthers take Luck. From what I've seen from people who watch him, he would have been the franchise QB of this draft not Newton. If Carolina feels that Newton is the QB that can develop into the franchise QB that will lead them to multiple playoff seasons, then of course Carolina has to take him. But I'm worried Newton wont look much better than Clausen the first couple or three seasons. I want him to do well mainly because I don't want to see sucky Carolina Panthers games here that next two or three seasons, but I have the feeling that's what I'll see. I'll happily admit if I'm wrong though.

And did you see who the Panthers play first this season? Yep my beloved Cards-that Newton/Claussen vs Anderson/Skelton/Hall sure sounds exciting huh?

I was wrong. and thank god I was wrong. Still not completely sold on him as he fell off towards the end of the season, but it was fun seeing some good QB play from the Panthers for the first time in a while.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #390
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
following up on this according to the coach, Williams was the #15 on their Big Board and apparantly when Williams was in for a pre-draft workout for them, Coach told him he'd get taken at their pick in the second round if he lasted that long. They liked that he never fumbled during his college career-given Hightower's struggles there last season, and Beanie Wells being injury prone the pick makes a little more sense-but then again Williams is coming off an injury himself.

So how'd that pick work out for your Coach Whiz.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #391
Logan
Head Coach

I still think Williams will be a very good back in the league. He was poised for a big role.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #392
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I still think Williams will be a very good back in the league. He was poised for a big role.

I hope so Logan, but its looking like right now a career beset by injury.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #393
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just bumping this thread in advance of the super bowl. Some epic posts in the first 3-4 pages.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #394
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm not saying I am sold on Cam. Not at all, honestly. I'm just saying that no NFL team should be looking at those guys and concluding anything at all about the future of their team's QB position. If you don't think you have a build-around QB in this draft, fine, go somewhere else. But for crying out loud, you don't decide you're set at QB because you have pocket lint like Jimmy Claussen already on hand.

I still can't think of Jimmy Claussen without mentally conjuring the term "pocket lint" as an attachment.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #395
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Cam Newton (1)
Blaine Gabbert (10) <--- Even Mizzou fans saw this bust coming
JJ Watt (11) <--- Just for reference on Gabbert at 10
Andy Dalton (35)
Colin Kaepernick (36)
Ryan Mallet (74)
TJ Yates (152) <--- Started a playoff game right? :-)
Tyrod Taylor (180)

Newton seems to be worth the pick and the AJ Green/Dalton combo pick might be the best combo of the draft.

Last edited by panerd : 01-25-2016 at 02:17 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #396
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Just bumping this thread in advance of the super bowl. Some epic posts in the first 3-4 pages.

Awesome.

ESPN could make a show that is just people reading verbatim transcripts of 4-year-old sports talk from the TV and internet. Much, much funnier than anything you could script.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #397
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

had to go back and read my take on Cam.
Was surprised I was as measured as I was. I legitimately thought he was JR 2.0.

Been surprised by him, also have enjoyed seeing him mature and have fun playing the game.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #398
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Cam had an impressive rookie campaign but I'm not ready to get him fitted for a yellow jacket just yet.

The only post I could find of mine about Newton.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #399
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Cam stuff was fun, but also was interesting to read all the negative takes on Atlanta trading up to draft Julio Jones. Now granted, they still need defensive help, but that may have been the smartest thing the Falcons have done in the draft in the last 5 years.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #400
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It had better be Carimi.

It was Carimi.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote