Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #301
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I don't think ucla has recruited St. Brown since spring
Probably got tired of misspelling his name in their correspondence. Equanimeous and Soso Jamabo are just proof that Key & Peele's East-West Bowl skits will never top real life.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #302
MrBug708
Head Coach

Josh Wariboko to UCLA!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #303
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

damn ucla is killing it
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #304
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

UCLA is doing work today.
Impressed. I like WARiboko a lot.

Regarding Feaster, my mistake. I forgot about Walker honestly. Ok so #2 RB.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #305
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Roquan Smith to UCLA!!

ESPN is besides themselves. They struggle with UCLA success, because their money is in with USC (key ESPN station in LA market is USC home station).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #306
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ucla probably gets three more kids. Lil Snoop, Meadors, and Wicker.

Espn has really given ucla a bunch of backhanded compliments. Was great to see the hype given to smith and then watch them watch Smith pick UCLA over UGa
Old 02-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #307
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
9:15 AM and Clemson has all 26 commits LOI in hand.

Love it.
Are you guys done done? UMass has one kid Denzel Johnson from the SC area we're hoping to get, and speculation is he's hoping Clemson offers last minute. I'm wondering if the UMass guys are misinterpreting and he's really debating whether to walk-on/greyshirt at Clemson or sign a scholly at UMass/Towson.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #308
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Technically he could be the whole line.

That is him standing next to our 6'7" DE Bronson Kafusi....He is a monster
Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #309
MacroGuru
Coordinator

And we steal Mike Tafua from USC....

Very happy.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #310
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Roquan Smith to UCLA!!

ESPN is besides themselves. They struggle with UCLA success, because their money is in with USC (key ESPN station in LA market is USC home station).

And now Roquan is wavering.

This happens a lot with kids from the South and Texas. LOTS of pressure to stay home, the intensity of everyone around them who cares so much about football and their local schools. That kinda stuff you don't usually get out here in LA, where the parents may be equally horrified at their kids going away, but it's not the same where everyone else isn't so invested to really get on a kid about his choice.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #311
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Big get at DT for Mizzou in Beckner.

Literally.

Beat out Ohio State, Florida State, and Auburn. It really helps that MU has had such a good run of defensive lineman going to the NFL. DL's come to Mizzou now with the expectation of the coaches being able to prepare them to reach the next level.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #312
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently there are reports that Cowart has also signed a LOI with UF in addition to AU and none have been faxed yet. Based on how his recruiting has gone, and based on the school he plays for this really isn't all that surprising.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #313
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Boise State announces commitment of Katy Perry's Left Shark | FOX Sports
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #314
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Are you guys done done? UMass has one kid Denzel Johnson from the SC area we're hoping to get, and speculation is he's hoping Clemson offers last minute. I'm wondering if the UMass guys are misinterpreting and he's really debating whether to walk-on/greyshirt at Clemson or sign a scholly at UMass/Towson.

Johnson is a good kid.
I know some of his family personally.

He hasnt qualified academically yet. Mainly because prior to this past Saturday he had never taken the SAT or the ACT.

So by NCAA rule he cant be sent an LOI package unless UMass can accept partial/non-qualifiers. Which I doubt thats the case. I dont usually equate UMass with Marhsall but maybe I missed something

All that said he has been told by Dabo is he meets full qual status he will have an offer, but we wont know until April most likely. I suspect he is a placement for whomever gets him.

Good kid.
Has his head on straight now, hasnt always been the case. Pissed away his 9th and 10th grade years and has made phenomenal progress to rectify the situation but maybe too little too late.

Honestly I would like to see him go to UMass or similar where I think he will develop and star and may actually have league potential. Unfortunately (and I don't mean to sound snobbish in saying this) but at the level Clemson is currently recruiting WRs he will be limited in playtime here. And I dont think he is the type of kid who needs to buried on the chart and have too much idle time on his hands. I think he needs a purpose and a focus and I think he has a chance at a future.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #315
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

That is him standing next to our 6'7" DE Bronson Kafusi....He is a monster

I saw that pic earlier. That's not what I expected a 410 lb high school kid to look like.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #316
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Oh standard disclaimer...please dont take that academic info and run to a message board with it. Its not public knowledge.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #317
MrBug708
Head Coach

F the university of Georgia and their bag man to the coach..
Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #318
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Good god.

I heard his mission is going to be at Golden Corral
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have to admit, this does sorta have that feel to it.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #320
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't like jumping to the bag man excuse. There are plenty of reasons for a GA kid to want to go to UGA.

What I don't like is the kid makes his decision, and now he has two GA commits in his ear, saying "come on, you don't want to go to LA, go to UGA", and he his HS coach will probably do the same thing in that meeting.

It's BS. Respect the kid's decision.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #321
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh standard disclaimer...please dont take that academic info and run to a message boaith it. Its not public knowledge.
No worries, I won't.

UMass is Atlantic 10 and can accept partial/non qualifiers in basketball, but I'm not sure if football is different being in the MAC - I think we can but those rules change every year. We actually had a lot of success with Prop 48 guys in bball, including a current assistant coach and a couple pro players, so there isn't a stigma here. As a public university I think it's a good thing if it's a kid with his head on straight that just messed around early in HS or in a case like Rashaun Freeman where he had an undiagnosed learning disability (dyslexia) because he was a really shy kid and no one at his school bothered to ask him why he wouldn't talk or couldn't read until he was a JR in HS and getting D1 looks. I think Victor Cruz was a partial or non qual out of HS too, if you want a UMass WR who turned out alright. The guys I don't like extending offers to are the ones that have bad transcripts because they transferred multiple times or got kicked out of places for attitude problems.

That said, how did he not at least take the SAT/ACT once by now? That's crazy - no one cares about early bad scores, might as well give it a shot and see if you'll pass.

Edit - looking into it, UMass had 2 kids I think were non-qualifiers that signed last year. One went Prep for a semester, the other might not have even been enrolled in a school, and both enrolled at UMass for the spring semester (along with a 3rd signee QB that tore his ACL last winter). I wonder if they managed to qualify in that time or that's just how we're doing it so those kids have the full 5 years to play 4 and don't have to burn a redshirt while sitting out. I guess I can tell by whether they're dressed and practicing this spring, because non-qualifiers still wouldn't be able to iirc the spring of their freshman year.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-04-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #322
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't have issues with flips to MSU, Texas, and GT. Things happen like that. This situation is ridiculous though
Old 02-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #323
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A lot of great football players are natural pleasers. They hate disappointing coaches, friends, teammates, fans.

The amount of pressure on some of these kids when they make a decision is enough to make them doubt that decision instantly. And now, with televised attention on signing day, it becomes too much. Many good kids are going to look like asses as today approaches. They're only 17/18 years old.

Michigan flipped a couple of mid-range prospects, but has missed out on all its high-profile targets (we seem to be a side-attraction for kids who really want to go to UCLA). The Marshall pipe-dream aside, we can only hope for our DE targets of Shelton Johnson and Tyrone Wheatley Jr. There's a Mississippi wide receiver (Washington) out there, but everything I read indicates he's staying.

Obviously, having seen Wheatley's dad play so many times when I was a student, that would be a nice addition.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #324
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently there is news that ucla's DC/LB coach will be the new LB coach of the Falcons
Old 02-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #325
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

UCLA just lost their DC to the NFL. I wonder if that is why Smith is having 2nd thoughts.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #326
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

5 star DL Rasheem Green is about to announce. It will be a shock if it is anywhere but USC. Ditto for LB John Houston...

Green to USC!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #327
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'll laugh if this is a dirty recruiting technique
Old 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #328
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll laugh if this is a dirty recruiting technique

Seems more likely Mora being shady and trying to keep it quiet until after signing day. Someone in Georgia let the cat out of the bag.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #329
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Houston to USC too!
Old 02-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #330
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Seems more likely Mora being shady and trying to keep it quiet until after signing day. Someone in Georgia let the cat out of the bag.

Mora hired Ulbrich to the Falcons?

Now that usc is back are we seeing a feisty EF27 again?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #331
MrBug708
Head Coach

Snoop to ucla
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #332
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The signing of RB Shannon Brooks to Minnesota marks the first major conference D1 signee -- in any sport -- in my HS alma mater's 56 year history.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #333
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

WR Deontay Burnett commits to USC! He will be a blue shirt and count towards next year's numbers.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #334
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC's class is now #1 on Rivals. Will be #1 on Scout too if Iman Marshall commits to USC.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #335
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
And we steal Mike Tafua from USC....

Very happy.
Nice get. I'd amend that statement, as everything I've heard is that Washington was the most significant competition for Tafua.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #336
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Marshall to USC!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #337
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa gets a low quality class. Unless they can be coached up. Lots of linemen. Big guys. Maybe a good RB. We will see. Stocked the LBs.
9 Iowans were recruited. Yep, Iowa hit the home state hard. Knowing how fertile Iowa is for football, Im stoked.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 AM   #338
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Sark can coach worth a damn the crosstown rivalry is going to be insane for the next four years. What a class for both LA schools

Like some of the guys SC got under the radar who aren't being mentioned - a couple of high upside blue shirt guys and also the DL coaches son who will walk on and has some really nice upside if he can put on some weight in a couple years. When you are recovering from sanctions those kind of depth signings are big.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's something a little, ironic is the best I can come up with, about the fact that Darquan Smith was huddled with his HS coach for advice yesterday ... when that coach himself has already taken a job at another school (he's leaving Class AA Macon County to go to 6A Brunswick next season)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #340
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If Sark can coach worth a damn the crosstown rivalry is going to be insane for the next four years. What a class for both LA schools

Like some of the guys SC got under the radar who aren't being mentioned - a couple of high upside blue shirt guys and also the DL coaches son who will walk on and has some really nice upside if he can put on some weight in a couple years. When you are recovering from sanctions those kind of depth signings are big.
Is blue shirt just a different term for grey shirt?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Preferred walk-ons with an "unofficial" promise of a scholarship later.

Quote:
A blueshirt is a player who arrived on campus as a "preferred" or "recruited" walk-on and goes on to earn a football scholarship. The NCAA doesn't allow for schools to produce written promises of scholarships to walk-ons, but that doesn't stop a school from telling a prospect who walks on that an offer is coming after a certain point.

Grayshirting isn't the only colorful trend in football recruiting - ESPN
Old 02-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #342
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's something the NCAA might be putting a stop to, from what I understand, or at least they are looking into it. I think they see it as a way programs are trying to get around scholie limits.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #343
tarcone
Coordinator

LOL. The NCAA has no teeth with the power 5. They will make a rule that allows it. Then whats the NCAA going to do?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

With an offer from Columbia & a weekend visit to ODU lined up, local prospect Evan Sheriffs (Jefferson, GA) watched & waited throughout Wednesday.

Late today, he got what he'd been waiting for: an offer, quickly signed, from Miami

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

edit: in case the name sounds at least a little familiar, he's the younger brother of former NC State, now UConn QB Bryant Sheriffs.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-05-2015 at 09:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:44 AM   #345
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Interesting. So he went from choosing perhaps between ODU and Columbia to getting an offer from Miami? I'd say that's a step up in program quality (even if Miami isn't what it used to be).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #346
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Interesting. So he went from choosing perhaps between ODU and Columbia to getting an offer from Miami? I'd say that's a step up in program quality (even if Miami isn't what it used to be).

Actually, if he isn't a lock to pursue a career in football after school, I think he made a mistake not jumping on the Columbia offer.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #347
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, if he isn't a lock to pursue a career in football after school, I think he made a mistake not jumping on the Columbia offer.

This was my thought as well. Fringe player at the U or an Ivy League education. Shame he made that choice, hope it works out for him.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #348
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I know Jon provided a link but for the purpose of differentiating:

Greyshirt- Delay enrollment (sit home) or go to a placement (typically Prep for the retained eligibility) for at least 1 semester then a promise of a scholarship as soon as it opens up. Typically from a mid year graduate, at least that is how the practice started.

Blueshirt- Enroll immediately and pay your own way for a semester, then we will put you on scholarship.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #349
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Blueshirt- Enroll immediately and pay your own way for a semester, then we will put you on scholarship.

That may have been the intent, but my understanding is that scholarship ends up paying for that first semester, too. Maybe the recruit fronts the money at first, but it comes back to him once on scholarship. Which is why the NCAA is looking into it.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #350
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've heard/read a lot about Blue Shirts and my understanding is that it covers everything including the first semester. The only thing that the recruit misses is the summer session, they can't get the scholarship until the day before the fall semester starts.