Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #351
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

And the player can't have been "officially recruited" by the school he is going to which prevents the school from doing an in home visit or an official visit to campus.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Interesting. So he went from choosing perhaps between ODU and Columbia to getting an offer from Miami? I'd say that's a step up in program quality (even if Miami isn't what it used to be).

They'd been in contact during the process for a while (per both public & private sources), as he put it Miami kept telling him to "be patient". So it wasn't completely out of the blue or anything. I suspect he'll end up as a third string safety, just to be honest, but who knows ... I certainly didn't expect Mettenberger to be a college starter based on HS, much less make it to the NFL.

Now as for the whole U vs Columbia v ODU thing, I think I kinda get that one better than I did at first blush.

Academically, he should swim fine pretty much wherever so there's not an issue of anything being 'too hard" for him. While I'm not a fan at all (athletically or academically) my own son's passing interest in Miami leads me to grudgingly allow that it isn't exactly a school for slugs academically, it's not like he's going to DeVry Online or something. Then there's the whole weather issue, I mean, c'mon

I don't know what the final tipping point for him in the decision was -- and it certainly does appear that football played a big part (which would fit with my limited dealings with the family) -- but it's not really the craziest thing either. I'm not entirely sure he'll enjoy his choice, but I think he probably has at least an equal chance to be happy with it based on factors not related to football.

The biggest surprise in his decision, to me, was that he opted for Miami after his brother's less than pleasant experience at NC State.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I've heard/read a lot about Blue Shirts and my understanding is that it covers everything including the first semester.

Isn't this kinda what has Vols b'ball coach Donnie Tyndal in the NCAA crosshairs (for his deals at Southern Miss)?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #354
MrBug708
Head Coach

So Jon...what's Roquan Smith going to do? Seems like Ulbrich will take the Falcons job but Smith is still waiting
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #355
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That may have been the intent, but my understanding is that scholarship ends up paying for that first semester, too. Maybe the recruit fronts the money at first, but it comes back to him once on scholarship. Which is why the NCAA is looking into it.

Quote:
I've heard/read a lot about Blue Shirts and my understanding is that it covers everything including the first semester. The only thing that the recruit misses is the summer session, they can't get the scholarship until the day before the fall semester starts.

Any school doing it this way is past the grey area and pretty deep into the black.

The whole point of the "blue shirt" is not to count against the 85 scholly limit. If they are on official university sponsored scholarship then 1 of 2 things has to happen.
1- They are on an athletic scholarship and it has to count against FB numbers (regardless of the sprot of classification if they have any interaction with football coaches at all)

2- They are on a non-athletic scholarship. I.E. they are on either an academic or a creat-a-ship. The NCAA sent a letter earlier this year to every memeber AB specifically addressing creat-a-ships. And outlining that violations would be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

The much more common (IME) scenario would involve the blue shirt not being involved with football and having his tuition covered by a wealthy alum or such, which would not be a violation since the studnet isnt a student athlete at that time. However they would be ineligible for the entirety of the aid period (I.E. semester or year)....but "those dang college kids; its hard to keep them out of the weight room. They break in and lift when we lock the doors."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #356
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So Jon...what's Roquan Smith going to do? Seems like Ulbrich will take the Falcons job but Smith is still waiting

I think Roquan wants to know who UCLA is hiring in his place.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #357
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think hes waiting on the check to clear

J/K no idea on this kid.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Purely a guess, but I figure he ends up in Athens unless they come up with one hell of a replacement.

Once there was hesitation ... well, this is a 17/18 kid from the middle of absolutely nowhere. He's surrounded by all red & black all the time. He's clearly got no shortage of people in his ear. Unless UCLA can manage to abduct him & put him in a hotel somewhere until this is settled, I'd be more than a little surprised if he doesn't flip himself back home.

Honestly, if I was UCLA, I'd give it the offer to someone who wanted to be at my institution (or at least my program) and move on.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #359
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Purely a guess, but I figure he ends up in Athens unless they come up with one hell of a replacement.

Once there was hesitation ... well, this is a 17/18 kid from the middle of absolutely nowhere. He's surrounded by all red & black all the time. He's clearly got no shortage of people in his ear. Unless UCLA can manage to abduct him & put him in a hotel somewhere until this is settled, I'd be more than a little surprised if he doesn't flip himself back home.

Honestly, if I was UCLA, I'd give it the offer to someone who wanted to be at my institution (or at least my program) and move on.

Personally, I have written him off as gone, so if I am wrong, great. But I will note that it is interesting that he hasn't just committed to Georgia already. The fact that he's willing to hold off until UCLA figures things out says he has real interest in going out to Westwood.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-06-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #360
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Any school doing it this way is past the grey area and pretty deep into the black.

The whole point of the "blue shirt" is not to count against the 85 scholly limit. If they are on official university sponsored scholarship then 1 of 2 things has to happen.
1- They are on an athletic scholarship and it has to count against FB numbers (regardless of the sprot of classification if they have any interaction with football coaches at all)

2- They are on a non-athletic scholarship. I.E. they are on either an academic or a creat-a-ship. The NCAA sent a letter earlier this year to every memeber AB specifically addressing creat-a-ships. And outlining that violations would be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

The much more common (IME) scenario would involve the blue shirt not being involved with football and having his tuition covered by a wealthy alum or such, which would not be a violation since the studnet isnt a student athlete at that time. However they would be ineligible for the entirety of the aid period (I.E. semester or year)....but "those dang college kids; its hard to keep them out of the weight room. They break in and lift when we lock the doors."

My understanding is the blue shirt does count against the 85 limit but the timing of the official scholarship can allow the initial counter to be moved forward a year. USC did this with a kicker last year. He counted toward the 75 limit but initial counter was delayed an academic year.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-06-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #361
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Bobby Petrino banned from recruiting at South Carolina school - NFL.com

Bobby still douching it up.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #362
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Bobby will have tough sledding in every SC high school and many NC ones because of this.

Good kid.

And a very influential coach.

You may remember him from his Charlotte, NC Independence High days where he won a state record like 50 games in a row. Coached Chris, CJ and the 3rd Leake.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #363
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I'm no fan of Petrino's antics but if I am a kid in that school and my favorite team is Louisville how exactly does my high school coach have the power to ban that one college's coach from recruiting me?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #364
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I'm no fan of Petrino's antics but if I am a kid in that school and my favorite team is Louisville how exactly does my high school coach have the power to ban that one college's coach from recruiting me?

You can still talk to Petrino and his assistants over the phone and through social media but anyone can't just walk into a high school and pull a kid out of class for a meeting, which is how it works. Not to mention that there are certain interactions that aren't allowed between colleges and recruits until certain points in their high school career. I think the offer is one. When we hear colleges offer a kid before their junior year*, what it really means is that the college tells the high school coach of the offer, who communicates it to the kid.

So pull all that interaction out and it becomes difficult. But yeah, if a kid is 100% dead set on going to Louisville, there is nothing stopping him.

* - CU Tiger could correct me on some of these dates/milestones which could be off but I think the general idea is accurate
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #365
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Yeah, coaches have lots of power when it comes to recruits, and the most successful recruiters always maintain good/great relationships with high school coaches for this reason. As an Aggie, I can name you several schools in Houston, east Texas, and D/FW that our recruiters had/have a very positive relationship with and that paid big dividends down the road. This is where the infamous "pipeline" moniker is used. On the other hand, rumblings were heard about our relationship with Cedar Hill coaches (a very talented Texas HS power) the past couple of years and could have hurt us in recruiting Lodge (chose Ole Piss). The abyss that was the Franchione years was marred by high school coaches turned off by his dumbass and that literally took years to repair after we finally shit-canned him.

And I had no idea that coach was so popular and had the Leake's. I hope Petrino falls flat on his face.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I absolutely despise Petrino, but at least as often as not these "banned from" deals seem to either be ego trips by HS coaches or somebody getting otherwise butt hurt over something that's really not their deal.

I mean, whatever the circumstance was with this player, you gain nothing by reducing the access of future players to a potential D1 offer. You've done nothing to help the initial student/player and at least as often as not you limit the chances for future players more than you damage the coach/college in question.

{shrug} It just isn't a move that impresses me in the slightest.

edit to add: the fact that he's connected with the Leak's (which I didn't catch at first) impresses me even less. I remember the whiny bitch brother from his days in Knoxville

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-06-2015 at 04:18 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #367
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Jon you would actually appreicate this one.

Matt Colburn was SC Mr. Football. He commited to Louisville last April. From that point forward he tol the coaches to cut off all contact with all other schools. He was commited. He took no other visits. Even when his stock took off and SC and UGA came calling mid way through his senior season. In short, this kid did it right. His acceptance speech for the Mr Football award included a "shout out" to coach Petrino for "believing in him when others didnt"

Petrino got a commitment he wasnt expecting from another Rb in the home stretch and "notified" Colburn he didnt have an offer. By notified I mean he had an assistant coach email Knox his HS coach. Petrino did not and has not returned several calls from either Colburn or his Dad since the move.

I know Petrino is a slime ball, but this to me taks the cake even more thans screwing around on your wife and getting your ass kicked, I mean having a motorcyle accident where the passenger on the back is uninjured and all your injuries are to your face.

BTW Tommy Knox is no saint. He recruits his ass off in HS sports. The kid in question is a local who had to battle out a couple of recruited talents to see the field.

Full disclosure:
Yes, I know Matt Colburn. Yes I am a fan. Yes I hate Petrino. No Clemson did not offer (FWIW I think he is a touch below the Clemson level, and to be fair, probably a touch below Louisville talent level) but dammit he is a good hard working kid. Grades arent a problem, he hasnt been arrested, and he IS a damn good high school football player. To pull his offer like they did was chicken shit.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #368
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Regarding the power of HS coaches.
How do you think College coaches get cell phone numbers to call recruits?
And like mentioned earlier before middle of junior year a college coach cant "intentionally"contact a player (the so called 'bump rule' not with standing).

Kids are now committing middle of junior year by and large. So if Petrino calls or sends a letter to the school addressed to [insert prospect name here] that letter just hits the trash can and the kid never sees it. Face it, a SC good enough to get Louisville offers will have other options, it isnt like it is Louisville or sit home on the couch.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Face it, a SC good enough to get Louisville offers will have other options, it isnt like it is Louisville or sit home on the couch.

Erm, from the article, this kid didn't have a whole fleet of higher (football) profile options. Wake, Ga Southern, Furman IIRC.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #370
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Erm, from the article, this kid didn't have a whole fleet of higher (football) profile options. Wake, Ga Southern, Furman IIRC.

Considering he completely shut down his recruitment in April, that shouldn't shock you.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Considering he completely shut down his recruitment in April, that shouldn't shock you.

Oh yes, since that always shuts programs right down on anyone they happen to want. Uh. Huh.

Honestly, I see this more as a case where Louisville might have been ready to reach. (Not dissimilar from the story earlier where the guy had ODU, Colombia ...and Miami as his offers ... plus a preferred walk-on but not blueshirt offer from UGA)

That's not all that uncommon these days, best I can tell. I see a fair number of cases where there's several lower tier options & then one outlier that really doesn't fit ... but they aren't related to anyone shutting down recruitment or whatever. Point being, simply, that I think it's a reach to think the student athlete had much to do with that list being what it was.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #372
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh yes, since that always shuts programs right down on anyone they happen to want. Uh. Huh.

Honestly, I see this more as a case where Louisville might have been ready to reach. (Not dissimilar from the story earlier where the guy had ODU, Colombia ...and Miami as his offers ... plus a preferred walk-on but not blueshirt offer from UGA)

That's not all that uncommon these days, best I can tell. I see a fair number of cases where there's several lower tier options & then one outlier that really doesn't fit ... but they aren't related to anyone shutting down recruitment or whatever. Point being, simply, that I think it's a reach to think the student athlete had much to do with that list being what it was.

Actually the student has a lot more to do with that than you think. Most offer listings on recruiting sites come from the recruits themselves, being asked by recruiting reporters what schools have offered them.

So if he shut down his recruiting, and it's clear he is a solid recruit (not elite recruit that would get tons of interest anyway) and that is it, there isn't much call for schools to overcome his recruiting resistance or for reporters to come around asking him what schools have offered since he shut down his recruiting.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #373
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I didnt say he'd have *better* offers, my point was to refute your notion that
Quote:
you gain nothing by reducing the access of future players to a potential D1 offer.
Any kid that has a Louisville offer will have other offers. Even if it is Wake, or Furman both are fine academic school. Its not like the coach's stance is prohibiting kids from going to college.

BTW: I am actually pretty sure Lamar Owens came calling this summer to inquire about him and was stoned at the coach's desk.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #374
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mike Weber is mad that Urban Meyer didn't tell him the running back coach was leaving until after signing day:

Weber's coach Wilcher blasts Meyer, OSU
Old 02-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any kid that has a Louisville offer will have other offers.

But, in football terms, neither Wake nor Furman is Louisville. And we both know that.

Sorry, I just don't don't recall a single incident of these "barred from campus" deals where the HS coach wasn't off on his own little ego trip ... not even when it involved a sorry p.o.s. like Petrino. I've seen several in the past few years -- they aren't that unusual [/i] -- and every single one I can recall came down to somebody looking out their for their bit of glory, not for the kid in question nor any future kids it might affect.

Not a fan of the stunt, not even slightly, I reckon I'm entitled to that opinion.
(no, not that I thought you were looking to deny it to me)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #376
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I guess what bothers me is I watch folks get all up in arms when a kid flops (not saying you) and wail about the meaning of commitment, etc. Here when the roles are reversed I just wish I heard nearly as much vitriol.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess what bothers me is I watch folks get all up in arms when a kid flops (not saying you) and wail about the meaning of commitment, etc. Here when the roles are reversed I just wish I heard nearly as much vitriol.

That first bit is kinda interesting. I get being down on the kids who don't even make an effort to follow basic rules, are total f 'ups, etc. Just not sure I hear a whole lot of grief directed as the ones who simply end up sucking (or not that bad, but you know what I mean).

I've fired a good bit in the direction of GT players over the years, UT also. But I hold the coaches accountable for those cases of bad judgment, not the players that should never have been offered in the first place. (If that explanation makes sense, I mean it along the lines of it wasn't Uggla's fault that the Braves paid him stupid money, that falls on the front office)
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #378
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Mike Weber is mad that Urban Meyer didn't tell him the running back coach was leaving until after signing day:

Wonder how pissed off Edoga was that Drevno left for Michigan?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #379
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

I don't really follow recruiting very closely but the coach is a former UM player and classmate of Harbaugh so...

If Weber does want out though, hopefully OSU gives him a release. Ohio State isn't exactly lacking talent at the position.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #380
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wonder how pissed off Edoga was that Drevno left for Michigan?

At least he knew Drevno was leaving before he enrolled and had a chance to change his mind if he wanted.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #381
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
At least he knew Drevno was leaving before he enrolled and had a chance to change his mind if he wanted.

Seems like Smith has had a chance to change his mind, no? Seems like Edoga committed to the school, not the coach

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-07-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #382
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That first bit is kinda interesting. I get being down on the kids who don't even make an effort to follow basic rules, are total f 'ups, etc. Just not sure I hear a whole lot of grief directed as the ones who simply end up sucking (or not that bad, but you know what I mean).

I've fired a good bit in the direction of GT players over the years, UT also. But I hold the coaches accountable for those cases of bad judgment, not the players that should never have been offered in the first place. (If that explanation makes sense, I mean it along the lines of it wasn't Uggla's fault that the Braves paid him stupid money, that falls on the front office)

Autocorrect on the tablet sent you down the wrong rabbit hole

I was trying to say "kids who flip" all the message board crying about the meaning of committment, etc.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #383
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems like Smith has had a chance to change his mind, no? Seems like Edoga committed to the school, not the coach

Because Georgia coaches leaked the info before he sent in his LOI...

There are some really good links with interviews from his coach that I can post about it if you want when I get home later today. There is a huge difference in the two situations. Mora handled this badly and if this is a pattern of behavior it is going to catch up to him in recruiting if it hasn't already... Was surprising Wicker didn't pick ucla.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #384
MrBug708
Head Coach

Someone is hanging out a bit too much on the SC boards

I've seen the interviews, the same ones that say Smith has a better relationship with Scott White (Google him). It's refreshing to see USC fans so upset about trying to gain an advantage and watch their city-rivals nit-pick over every single thing. It reminds me of the days of Karl Dorrell vs Peter Carroll.

Wicker previously expressed concern about UCLA academics, but he was a sizeable miss for UCLA.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-07-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #385
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ugh, Tony Alford jumps on that carousel and leaves ND for the same position at Ohio State (felt he would never get the chance to be OC, or credit as one, under Kelly). At least it's obvious this all went down after signing day and no one can claim Kelly was hiding it, but the guy's been a great recruiter for us, especially in Florida.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #386
Bobble
College Prospect

I bumbled across an interesting article looking at average recruit class ranking over the last four years: Every college football team's updated 4-year recruiting rank, led by you-know-who - SBNation.com

Snapshot of the top 20:
Code:
Nat.rnk Conf. rank School 4y ave Movement vs. prev. avg. 1 SEC 1 Alabama 1 = 2 Big Ten 1 Ohio State 4 ↓ 3 ACC 1 Florida State 5 ↑ 4 SEC 2 LSU 6.5 ↑ 5 Pac-12 1 USC 8.5 ↑ 6 SEC 3 Georgia 9.25 ↓ 6 SEC 3 Florida 9.25 ↓ 8 SEC 5 Auburn 9.75 ↑ 9 SEC 6 Texas A&M 10.5 ↑ 10 Big 12 1 Texas 11.75 ↓ 10 Notre Dame 11.75 ↓ 12 Pac-12 2 UCLA 12.5 ↑ 13 SEC 7 Tennessee 13.75 ↑ 14 ACC 2 Clemson 14 ↑ 15 Big 12 2 Oklahoma 14.25 ↓ 16 ACC 3 Miami 15.5 ↓ 17 Big Ten 2 Michigan 17 ↓ 18 Pac-12 3 Oregon 17.5 ↑ 19 SEC 8 South Carolina 18.25 ↓ SEC average 18.76 20 SEC 9 Ole Miss 21.75 ↓

Michigan at 17? Second in the Big Ten? Ouch, Brady Hoke. Ouch.

Last edited by Bobble : 02-08-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #387
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

But in Football terms, Wake is not Furman either. Wake is a member of a Power 5 conference. Even if they have traditionally not been a football power, their class this season (the first full class under Clawson) is an exciting one. I am happy we got Colburn, and I look forward to the first time he is on the field versus Louisville.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #388
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Roquan Smith talking about his UCLA recruitment:

GASports.com: The news came out about UCLA later on in the day last Wednesday. Obviously, now, Coach Jeff Ulbrich has made his move to the Atlanta Falcons. How does that shape things? Coach Harold mentioned in the AJC that he was not very happy with how they handled that situation, but how do you feel about how they handled it?"
Smith: "Otherwise, it's a great school and all of this and that, but Coach Ulbrich did say that Coach Dan Quinn (of the Atlanta Falcons) had called him the night before, but he had declined the job offer. I felt like Coach (Jim) Mora should have hit me up and said there's potential that Coach Ulbrich may be leaving. Then, they tried to get me to go ahead and send the papers in, but I wasn't doing it. They tried to get me to send them in at 8 in the morning. Doing a lot of research, which I should have done earlier in the process and thank goodness I had more time, they don't even have my major. I was going to major in business, and the only way to get into business school out there is to be in graduate school."
UGASports.com: I assume that the business degree was something you expressed to them at some point. You probably said 'That's what I want to major in', right?
Smith: "I did."
UGASports.com: And they didn't say you can't do that here?
Smith: "No, they didn't. I guess they were trying to speak as far as the graduate school for business."
UGASports.com: Do you feel mislead?
Smith: "I kind of do. For them to be my first offer, yeah. I thought they were keeping it real with me, but you know people are going to lie."
Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #389
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Roquan Smith talking about his UCLA recruitment:

GASports.com: The news came out about UCLA later on in the day last Wednesday. Obviously, now, Coach Jeff Ulbrich has made his move to the Atlanta Falcons. How does that shape things? Coach Harold mentioned in the AJC that he was not very happy with how they handled that situation, but how do you feel about how they handled it?"
Smith: "Otherwise, it's a great school and all of this and that, but Coach Ulbrich did say that Coach Dan Quinn (of the Atlanta Falcons) had called him the night before, but he had declined the job offer. I felt like Coach (Jim) Mora should have hit me up and said there's potential that Coach Ulbrich may be leaving. Then, they tried to get me to go ahead and send the papers in, but I wasn't doing it. They tried to get me to send them in at 8 in the morning. Doing a lot of research, which I should have done earlier in the process and thank goodness I had more time, they don't even have my major. I was going to major in business, and the only way to get into business school out there is to be in graduate school."
UGASports.com: I assume that the business degree was something you expressed to them at some point. You probably said 'That's what I want to major in', right?
Smith: "I did."
UGASports.com: And they didn't say you can't do that here?
Smith: "No, they didn't. I guess they were trying to speak as far as the graduate school for business."
UGASports.com: Do you feel mislead?
Smith: "I kind of do. For them to be my first offer, yeah. I thought they were keeping it real with me, but you know people are going to lie."

Yeah, not a good look, although, keep in mind the article source.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #390
Easy Mac

Quote:
But, in football terms, neither Wake nor Furman is Louisville. And we both know that.

Sorry, I just don't don't recall a single incident of these "barred from campus" deals where the HS coach wasn't off on his own little ego trip ... not even when it involved a sorry p.o.s. like Petrino. I've seen several in the past few years -- they aren't that unusual [/i] -- and every single one I can recall came down to somebody looking out their for their bit of glory, not for the kid in question nor any future kids it might affect.

Not a fan of the stunt, not even slightly, I reckon I'm entitled to that opinion.
(no, not that I thought you were looking to deny it to me)

Not that it really means anything, but:

Furman is 9-7 versus Wake.
Furman is 1-0 versus Louisville.
Furman has beaten 5 different SEC schools, Louisville has beaten 3.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #391
MrBug708
Head Coach

Agreed, but that's his fault for not actually knowing that though I think he did, but it's looking more and more like he's gone. Too bad because he wanted to get away from Georgia.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #392
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed, but that's his fault for not actually knowing that though I think he did, but it's looking more and more like he's gone. Too bad because he wanted to get away from Georgia.
We've got a great undergrad business school at UMass and a couple open spots. Just sayin'.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #393
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, now he doesnt want to major in business, he wants to do sports management. Smith needs to stop listening to everyone around him. If he doesnt go to UCLA, he needs to go to Michigan or someplace out of Georgia
Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #394
BYU 14
Coordinator

One of BYU's prized recruits was arrested on assault and possession charges two days after signing day

Probably reduces his chances of seeing the field for the Cougars to pretty f'n slim now...

BYU football recruit charged with assault | The Salt Lake Tribune
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #395
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson signed a release on an upper class LB this week so a sudden scholarship is open....

Nah no chance
Old 02-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #396
MrBug708
Head Coach

And the saga is over, Smith to Georgia, who ironically enough, lost their WR coach to LSU
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #397
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And the saga is over, Smith to Georgia, who ironically enough, lost their WR coach to LSU

Yeah, but at least he can major in business at the south campus lol.

In all honesty, there was only one way this would go, and I am surprised he (or his handlers) bothered to string this along so long.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #398
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hopefully Mora learned that he's not ready to fight the SEC in recruiting wars
Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #399
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
One of BYU's prized recruits was arrested on assault and possession charges two days after signing day

Probably reduces his chances of seeing the field for the Cougars to pretty f'n slim now...

BYU football recruit charged with assault | The Salt Lake Tribune

Actually looking like all charges will be dropped.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #400
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hopefully Mora learned that he's not ready to fight the SEC in recruiting wars

That's a terrible lesson. Sack up, Bug. I hope he goes back there and takes more talent out of the South.