Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #201
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Shame. It's quite a good game, though not as good as Civ IV (which is the best ever). My biggest issue with Civ V is the endgame drags on forever. It's a great time until about 1500 - 1600 and then it bogs down. The expansions helped with that but never really fixed the problem of the endgame turns just taking forever.

I definitely played a lot more Civ IV than I did Civ V (which I've logged about 300 hours on), but I don't think I could ever go back and play Civ IV again after playing Civ V. No. Not at all.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #202
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I definitely played a lot more Civ IV than I did Civ V (which I've logged about 300 hours on), but I don't think I could ever go back and play Civ IV again after playing Civ V. No. Not at all.

I tried. I couldn't handle having stacked units again.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #203
oykib
College Starter

They've totally changed the game! They weren't kidding around with that patch.

They've nerfed Elodie's bonus ability. Eudaimonia is not so ridiculously OP that you have to go Prosperity every game. The Autoplant quest not offering the extra trade route is huge as well.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #204
SackAttack
Head Coach

I read the patch notes and it sounded like on top of the high alien aggression that drove me away from the game, they lowered the aliens' opinion-of-you recovery to sustain that aggression.

That's not bringing me back, guys.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #205
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I tried. I couldn't handle having stacked units again.

Yeah. That's the major thing that would prevent me from playing again. Stacks of Death are just... too much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #206
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sid Meier's Starships announced, is set in "Beyond Earth" universe - PC Gamer
Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #207
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Heavy reservations about buying this simply because of my experience with Beyond Earth. It still feels unfinished IMO, and that's not a situation I've had with previous Civ games.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #208
MikeVic
Head Coach

I played this game a bit over the free weekend that just occurred. The way the game looked, I found it pretty difficult in telling if my unit could cross certain terrain or reach an exploration point. I thought I was next to one, then when I tried to move there, I was prompted to attack an alien unit. Oops.

I tried to play nice with the aliens, so that was kind of annoying where I'd go out of my way with the colonist and sometimes they'd attack me, sometimes they wouldn't. Kind of weird.

Maybe I just needed some more time with it, and it would hook me more. Or maybe I just like the historical Civ type of stuff in general.

I will say that since the mechanics are close to Civ games, I still fell victim a bit to the "just one more turn"... but I don't know if that was just because I found I had less to do in each turn and it didn't really "feel" like I was expanding an empire... I did like the "quest decisions" that came up every few turns though, that was fun and added some customizations to buildings or technology.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #209
Thomkal
Head Coach

a bit worried they are working on this game when Beyond Earth needs much improving, but it sounds like separate teams with Starship being led by Sid Meier. Will have to wait for more info on the game before deciding whether to get it or not.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #210
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I played this game a bit over the free weekend that just occurred. The way the game looked, I found it pretty difficult in telling if my unit could cross certain terrain or reach an exploration point. I thought I was next to one, then when I tried to move there, I was prompted to attack an alien unit. Oops.

I tried to play nice with the aliens, so that was kind of annoying where I'd go out of my way with the colonist and sometimes they'd attack me, sometimes they wouldn't. Kind of weird.

Maybe I just needed some more time with it, and it would hook me more. Or maybe I just like the historical Civ type of stuff in general.

I will say that since the mechanics are close to Civ games, I still fell victim a bit to the "just one more turn"... but I don't know if that was just because I found I had less to do in each turn and it didn't really "feel" like I was expanding an empire... I did like the "quest decisions" that came up every few turns though, that was fun and added some customizations to buildings or technology.

Nah, you didn't need to spend more time with it. It just kinda sucks.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #211
Barkeep49
Coordinator

My concern is less the Beyond Earth connection and more that it's day and date with iPad. XCom aside I am skeptical about the depth that we'll get from a game developed for both platforms.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #212
Groundhog
Coordinator

Also downloaded this on the free weekend. Played it for 30 minutes, closed it down, uninstalled. 'Sterile' would be the best word I could use to describe it.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #213
Thomkal
Head Coach

A new expansion has been announced: Beyond Earth; Rising Tide. Will it do enough to make things more playable and enjoyable?

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide on Steam
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #214
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
A new expansion has been announced: Beyond Earth; Rising Tide. Will it do enough to make things more playable and enjoyable?

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide on Steam

This game suffers from a complete lack of personality. I hope this can add to it.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #215
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
This game suffers from a complete lack of personality. I hope this can add to it.

Me too
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #216
Desnudo
Coordinator

ditto
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #217
bronconick
College Starter

They love releasing shit unfinished and then adding DLC to make it more playable. Get it when it's on sale around XMas.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #218
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone get the Rising Tide DLC and if so.. how is it? For $30 is it worth purchasing.. I haven't touched BE in quite some time, so I'm wondering if this expansion will get me back into it as of now I feel like I wasted the initial money for BE.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anyone get the Rising Tide DLC and if so.. how is it? For $30 is it worth purchasing.. I haven't touched BE in quite some time, so I'm wondering if this expansion will get me back into it as of now I feel like I wasted the initial money for BE.

I've read the reviews and it sounds like it's nothing that will improve the experience if you didn't like the initial release. I think buying DLC for it is just throwing good money after bad at this point.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #220
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've read the reviews and it sounds like it's nothing that will improve the experience if you didn't like the initial release. I think buying DLC for it is just throwing good money after bad at this point.

It's not that I didn't like it.. after 5 hours or so it just never really had me wanting to go back to it.

The Gamespot view is pretty good pointing out how this DLC makes the game have much more personality.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #221
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ouch.

New Expansion Can't Save A Dour Civilization Game
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #222
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Since I had some days off, I bought the expansion and have at least played it more than I have the vanilla game.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #223
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Since I had some days off, I bought the expansion and have at least played it more than I have the vanilla game.

This is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I've got a buddy who's been playing it a lot and loving it, but I haven't been able to question him about WHY he likes it so much more now.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I've got a buddy who's been playing it a lot and loving it, but I haven't been able to question him about WHY he likes it so much more now.

I'm about 150 turns in.. need more time but one thing I don't really get.. is I started with an aquatic city and I see no need to move it.. EVER. Diplomacy is much, much deeper and I like the traits system.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #225
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Any update on how the game plays with Rising Tide? Fairly big 2K sale right now...