Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #51
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm seeing reports Bronco was "only" making $900K at BYU. If that's true, it's not hard to see why he'd bolt for a Power-5 job. Looks like he'll more than triple his salary.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm seeing reports Bronco was "only" making $900K at BYU. If that's true, it's not hard to see why he'd bolt for a Power-5 job. Looks like he'll more than triple his salary.

While the $900k references I saw were several years old, I think it's safe to say the $3.something million being reported for the new job is a substantial upgrade.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #53
BYU 14
Coordinator

Bronco will be hard to replace, I have so much respect for him, devastated right now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #54
digamma
Torchbearer

I think it is a really weird hire for the Hoos. Seemed to be a really good fit at BYU, not sure the same will be true in Charlottesville.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

I think it's a home run for them. The guy sure as hell can coach...worry about the fit stuff later.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #56
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

Last I saw he was making 2 mill a year @ BYU.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #57
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Bronco moving to Uva was a strange move, but I guess the BYU thing, no conference, how hard it must be to recruit there consistently and living in Provo would get on you nerves after a while. Especially if you're being pursued, play in a good league, surround yourself with solid assistants and get a pay raise.

Should be strange and I can't see it working, but in thinking about it, the move makes some sense.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #58
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While the $900k references I saw were several years old, I think it's safe to say the $3.something million being reported for the new job is a substantial upgrade.

Bronco was making about 1.25 then he has his Nike deal. Any additional I don't know about.

BYU has been notoriously cheap with their coaches and it is going to be interesting because they are going to have to pony up some $
Old 12-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #59
MrBug708
Head Coach

Norm CHow probably would take it cheaply
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #60
Atocep
Coordinator

Oh Baylor, I expect nothing less of you.

Stay classy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #61
General Mike
Pro Starter

Chris Ash to Rutgers, pending BOG approval.

I like the hire, but I'm reserving judgment to see who he brings in as coordinators.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #62
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just read a rumor that Rich Rod is getting the South Carolina job, and they are just waiting on him to get back to Arizona to tell his team. That would be surprising and very interesting. It will also be interesting to see if that means Muschamp comes to Georgia, or will he get the Alabama DC job.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #63
Atocep
Coordinator

Things may be in the works that gives Rich some pause before accepting the SC job.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #64
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Things may be in the works that gives Rich some pause before accepting the SC job.

AS you posted this, the AZ Athletic director tweets RR turned down the job and is coming back.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-05-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #65
GrantDawg

Which makes you wonder, what the hell is scaring everybody off from South Carolina? It is not that bad of a job. They pay very well, and the fan base is actually pretty patient.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #66
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Which makes you wonder, what the hell is scaring everybody off from South Carolina? It is not that bad of a job. They pay very well, and the fan base is actually pretty patient.

I don't know about the others, but there's probably a better than 50% chance the WVU job is opening and Rich would probably walk on glass to go back. He would probably see this as his last chance to get back home as well.

If it opens I don't think he's at the top of the list, but he'd be high enough on it to have a good shot. Rich is close enough to Ken Kendrick to know what WVU's loss to KSU meant and it's why I expect him to think long and hard before accepting the SC job.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #67
Easy Mac

Weird, every "connected" booster in SC I know said all week it was Muschamp, and that it was just Rich Rods agent pushing his name.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #68
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Weird, every "connected" booster in SC I know said all week it was Muschamp, and that it was just Rich Rods agent pushing his name.

The SC boards have been saying all along it's going to be Muschamp. I don't know how close Rich was to getting the job. The Rich talk just started picking up steam over the past day.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #69
GrantDawg

Rich Rod, Tom Herman, Willie Taggart. They all go, listen, go back home for a bigger paycheck. What's crazy about that is S Carolina could out pay whatever bumps they are getting. It is not about the money. It makes you think it must be something systemically that is running them off.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which makes you wonder, what the hell is scaring everybody off from South Carolina? It is not that bad of a job.

Well, yes and no.

Sparky Woods begat Brad Scott who begat Lou Holtz (wins but probation). Between Joe Morrison & Spurrier was a pretty down couple of decades.

You've either gotta be brilliant or have a lot go your way in terms of other programs being down to finish better than fourth in the division.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #71
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, yes and no.

Sparky Woods begat Brad Scott who begat Lou Holtz (wins but probation). Between Joe Morrison & Spurrier was a pretty down couple of decades.

You've either gotta be brilliant or have a lot go your way in terms of other programs being down to finish better than fourth in the division.

Sure it is a tough place to win, but from what I ave seen their fan base really doesn't expect 10-11 wins every year. You can grind out 8-9 wins, have a good season every few years, and be a hero. I recognize that the cupboard is pretty bear right now, and the East looks like is getting tougher in the next few years. Still, there is a way to succeed there if you want it.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #72
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

It's in Columbia
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #73
GrantDawg

Looks like Will Muschamp will be announced today at South Carolina. What I find funny is that South Carolina got their safety school.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #74
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure it is a tough place to win, but from what I ave seen their fan base really doesn't expect 10-11 wins every year. You can grind out 8-9 wins, have a good season every few years, and be a hero. I recognize that the cupboard is pretty bear right now, and the East looks like is getting tougher in the next few years. Still, there is a way to succeed there if you want it.

These are the problems with the SC job.
1- No coach has ever got a head coaching gig again after leaving SC. (Coaching graveyard)
2- The school has virtually no tradition. They didnt win a bowl game, ever, until the late 90s.
3- They are in the SEC, you know the toughest league in football. Harder to win, in theory.
4- In their own division Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Missouri are all better jobs.
5- They recruit against UGA, UF, UT, Clemson, FSU and to some extent UNC and NCSU...
6- Spurrier who is a certified legend and HOF coach coached them to their 3 best seasons in school history, with a #1 overall draft pick and at one point 17 of 22 starters future NFL players. None of those won a conference championship.
7- Columbia. It really is a dump. But it also hurts them because the school is in the middle of an inner city urban area, and it isnt a very good urban area. It is hard to sell your school to recruits this way, the kid that wants an urban environment or a busy city, is going to like Knoxville, even Nashville, Chapel Hill, Miami, etc more. And they do not have that tranquil campus green space that Athens, Tuscalossa, Auburn and yes Clemson offer.
8- Actually the fan base has turned. Many wanted Spurrier fired last year after 8 wins, 1 year removed from 3 straight 11 win seasons.
9- SC doesnt have a national brand in recruiting. The aforementioned 11 win season run came at a time when SC had a historically abnormal number of elite prospects. SC recruiting will always go as SC high school football goes and SC hs football isn't on the same planet as UGA, FL, LA, et al.
10- Their mascot is a chicken. The universal symbol of cowardice. Who wants to be a chicken
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Holgorsen will be back at WVU. The problem is with 2 years left on his contract WVU is likely going to have to give him an easy to get out of extension for recruiting purposes.

Next season will determine how long Holgorsen will actually stay at WVU.

The sad thing is this is 2 times in 3 years his team has been a QB away from being really good. For a guy that coached some incredibly productive QBs at Texas Tech and Oklahoma State he's struggled to find QBs at WVU.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Clay Helton has fired most of his coaching staff. Seems like only Sirmon is staying from the defensive side and Tee and Tui from the offensive side.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #77
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
1- No coach has ever got a head coaching gig again after leaving SC. (Coaching graveyard)

Which won't be an issue for Muschamp. He fails there, he won't ever coach another major program.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #78
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Which won't be an issue for Muschamp. He fails there, he won't ever coach another major program.

And if he couldn't win at Florida against essentially the same schedule, with all the built in advantages Florida has, with the state he inherited that program, what are the odds he can get it done in South Carolina?
Old 12-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #79
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Clay Helton has fired most of his coaching staff. Seems like only Sirmon is staying from the defensive side and Tee and Tui from the offensive side.

Very happy with that. Would like to see Heyward stay if his job was just recruiting but damn, his DBs have some of the worst technique I've ever seen
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Very happy with that. Would like to see Heyward stay if his job was just recruiting but damn, his DBs have some of the worst technique I've ever seen

Agreed. Clay kept the 3 coaches I would have kept too. Although, there are some reports he is also keeping Nansen who I was hoping would be gone...
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #81
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Looks like Holgorsen will be back at WVU. The problem is with 2 years left on his contract WVU is likely going to have to give him an easy to get out of extension for recruiting purposes.

Next season will determine how long Holgorsen will actually stay at WVU.

The sad thing is this is 2 times in 3 years his team has been a QB away from being really good. For a guy that coached some incredibly productive QBs at Texas Tech and Oklahoma State he's struggled to find QBs at WVU.

This was the first season that I felt like he had done a pretty good job -- prior to last night. Now, I'm honestly not sure. I think the defense played really well all and the o-line seems to be improving. Hopefully, we dump DeForest and find another elite recruiter. I wish we could have found a way to keep Tom Bradley around for recruiting and as insurance for a Holgorsen dismissal.

My main fear is that, if/when he puts it all together, he'll be gone with the failure to extend him. And, more likely, we have another 7-5 season next season and are in a holding pattern.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #82
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This was the first season that I felt like he had done a pretty good job -- prior to last night. Now, I'm honestly not sure. I think the defense played really well all and the o-line seems to be improving. Hopefully, we dump DeForest and find another elite recruiter. I wish we could have found a way to keep Tom Bradley around for recruiting and as insurance for a Holgorsen dismissal.

My main fear is that, if/when he puts it all together, he'll be gone with the failure to extend him. And, more likely, we have another 7-5 season next season and are in a holding pattern.

I think Holgosen has done a good job of building the program up for Big 12. Because of some of Stew's recruiting failures I think we were at around 72 scholarship players when he took over and zero depth on either side of the ball. The talent and depth are there on both sides of the ball now, he just needs to find a QB because at some point he actually needs to win some games.

I haven't heard good things about Tom Bradley's time at WVU so I wasn't bothered seeing him leave.

Another 7-5 season probably gets him fired IMO. Everyone around the program seems to think Chugs is going to be the QB next year and has a lot of potential. With a more favorable schedule and the entire offense returning progress needs to happen.

I do think Holgorsen would be a good hire if WVU eventually lets him go. He wasn't ready to be a head coach when WVU brought him on. He was stubborn and pissed off a lot of the old guard (both around the program and the media). Since then he's adapted his staff, recruiting, and offensive philosophy to fit what WVU needs. He's learned quite a bit and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him go on to have a lot of success somewhere else.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #83
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That surprises me - Washington's secondary made an immediate and significant improvement when he arrived in 2012. I was a big Heyward fan and was very sorry to see him go.

Only reason for keeping Nansen so far as I can tell is for his recruiting - he was a terrible position coach and the special teams were awful under his watch. He was a heck of a wingman for Sark on his drinking adventures though...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #84
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
And if he couldn't win at Florida against essentially the same schedule, with all the built in advantages Florida has, with the state he inherited that program, what are the odds he can get it done in South Carolina?

To be fair, Florida this year had the potential to be top 15 if their QB doesn't get a drug suspension. Now do they even win their side of the conference if Muschamp was still there? Who knows.

Muschamp can recruit. He can also go coo-coo bananas crazy, which is entertaining in and of itself.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #85
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I know you almost always take the head coaching job you're offered, but is there any chance that Ash won't be fired eventually at Rutgers? It seems impossible for Rutgers to compete in the B1G.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #86
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know you almost always take the head coaching job you're offered, but is there any chance that Ash won't be fired eventually at Rutgers? It seems impossible for Rutgers to compete in the B1G.

If he can recruit, he can be successful. There's a ton of talent in New Jersey that the rest of the B1G poached at will with Flood in charge, and where they don't get the guy, the SEC does. Ash doesn't need to get every top kid in Jersey but even getting two of the top 5, 5 of the top 10, and doing well with the mid tier kids would be a massive improvement over Flood and would yield a competitive roster.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #87
digamma
Torchbearer

I've read a couple of things that appear not to be a joke that Kirby Smart is bringing on Jim Donnan in...wait for it...a fund raising capacity in Athens.

Apparently, the way it will work is that Donnan gets four donors. Then those four donors get four donors. Then those donors get four donors.

Seriously, though, that has to be a joke, right?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

It was a smart move. They got a guy from a successful program and hope he can bring it to them and give them a fresh start in the B1G. Bringing back Schiano would have been a game-day management disaster, plus expensive for middling seasons, even though he's pro-Jersey.

I think the hope is that Ash does good enough to elevate himself to a big-time program in a few years, but at least Rutgers will be in decent position to stay decent in the B1G.

It's probably better than just getting another person "with ties to Jersey." We'll see how it goes. I don't think it's an impossible place to coach, or at least, let's put it this way...it's a hell of a lot of less impossible a job than it was in the 90s.

If Temple can manage to attract solid coaches without a campus stadium playing in an east coast city that barely cares about football, Rutgers can at least get back to the Schiano glory years with a competent coach who doesn't have players getting arrested week to week.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #89
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If he can recruit, he can be successful. There's a ton of talent in New Jersey that the rest of the B1G poached at will with Flood in charge, and where they don't get the guy, the SEC does. Ash doesn't need to get every top kid in Jersey but even getting two of the top 5, 5 of the top 10, and doing well with the mid tier kids would be a massive improvement over Flood and would yield a competitive roster.

But even then isn't their ceiling most years fifth in the division? They aren't going to consistently beat OSU, UM, MSU or PSU. It seems like Ash is destined to a few 6 or 7 win seasons and then he'll be fired.

edit: To be clear, I like the hire for Rutgers, I just don't see Ash being able to succeed.

Last edited by JPhillips : 12-07-2015 at 08:22 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #90
molson
General Manager

It's crazy looking at it, only 22% of FBS schools hired their current head coaches in 2009 or earlier. So 5 years is about the max in most places. And even that's stretching it these days, 65% of FBS schools hired their current coach since 2013 (or are currently vacant at head coach). Only 3 coaches have been around more than 10 years, and the longest tenure is only since 1999 (Stoops and Ferentz)

If you look back at some of the all-time great college coaches and how they did in their first 3-4 seasons, almost none of them would have lasted beyond that in the modern climate.

Last edited by molson : 12-07-2015 at 09:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #91
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
To be fair, Florida this year had the potential to be top 15 if their QB doesn't get a drug suspension. Now do they even win their side of the conference if Muschamp was still there? Who knows.

Muschamp can recruit. He can also go coo-coo bananas crazy, which is entertaining in and of itself.

Which to me makes it even worse.

You are right though, Muschamp CAN recruit, he has not however shown the ability to manage a roster.

But sounds like legendary SC High School football coach Bobby Bentley will be getting his first D1 college on field coaching job, potentially as OC.

Bentley guided Byrnes High School in SC to numerous state 4A Big 16 (known as 5A everywhere else in the world) titles before leaving to take over Presbyterian College as HC. He flailed there, allegedly without promised financial support, and Byrnes struggled in his absence so he returned as AD and put his coach in place and called plays from the sideline- yes as AD.

He has been a QC guy at Auburn the last few years and his son is a Junior who is a good young QB prospect.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #92
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Wole Betiku recruiting story is going to be funny with USC and these coaching hires

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-07-2015 at 09:29 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #93
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
But even then isn't their ceiling most years fifth in the division? They aren't going to consistently beat OSU, UM, MSU or PSU. It seems like Ash is destined to a few 6 or 7 win seasons and then he'll be fired.

edit: To be clear, I like the hire for Rutgers, I just don't see Ash being able to succeed.

Well I definitely wouldn't include PSU in that group, Franklin appears to have no clue how to coach offense and could be coaching for his job next year. Michigan could fall if Harbaugh leaves, who the hell knows how long Meyer is around, etc. But still, no one "consistently beats" all those teams with the exception of OSU, so it's more about winning a couple of those games a season, winning your cross-division games, and playing well OOC. That gets you to 8 or 9 wins and if Ash can do that by year 4 he'll be in good shape.

If Ash was wrapping up year 4 of his tenure off those results today, he'd probably have a top 15 2016 class in his pocket based on the talent in Jersey.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #94
duckman
Pro Starter

My brother-in-law, Seth Littrell, was hired to be the head coach for North Texas on Saturday. He's married to my wife's sister. He's a really good dude. His oldest boy, Trip, was born with a heart defect and required surgery. He'll be introduced today at 12:30 CT. My wife's family is pretty excited about it being his first HC job and that he'll be closer to home.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #95
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
My brother-in-law, Seth Littrell, was hired to be the head coach for North Texas on Saturday. He's married to my wife's sister. He's a really good dude. His oldest boy, Trip, was born with a heart defect and required surgery. He'll be introduced today at 12:30 CT. My wife's family is pretty excited about it being his first HC job and that he'll be closer to home.

Congrats. I guess that makes you the head coach-in-law!
Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #96
MacroGuru
Coordinator

FYI - My inside sources just said Ken turned down the job at BYU (Couldn't make the $ work), to me that signals that Kalani Sitake will be the next HC at BYU. I will be shocked if it wasn't.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #97
molson
General Manager

No surprise here

Steve Sarkisian sues USC over his firing as football coach - LA Times
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #98
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But consistent 7 win seasons may indeed be considered a success.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #99
miked
College Starter

Quote:

We should have beaten PSU last year (thanks to Nova's 5 picks) and beat UM last year. I don't think we will compete with OSU, but even this shitty team this year lost to MSU by a touchdown, and almost had a chance to try a tying hail mary had our QB not spiked the ball on 4th down. If we can get to a place where we are winning 7-8 games, that'll do. Nobody at RU expects a Rose Bowl.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #100
Atocep
Coordinator

So Holgorsen may not be safe yet. There's a big push to get him out and swing for the fences to see if Jimbo wants to coach at WVU (unlikely) or give the job to Rich. Buyout money is in place for both Holgorsen and whoever is brought in as the replacement.

Holgorsen may be coaching for his job in the Cactus bowl which is stupid. Either let him go now and move on or commit to him.

This is very likely why Rich turned down the SC job (it appears he was offered) as one of the people that would be paying the buyout is one of Rich's best friends (Ken Kendrick).