Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #101
Logan
Head Coach

I know new coaches never lose the introductory press conference but I loved damn near everything I heard from Ash today.

Last edited by Logan : 12-07-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #102
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Ugh, and who has to pay him if he wins?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #103
molson
General Manager

Also, Sark says he's sober and ready to coach! Who's in?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #104
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Ugh, and who has to pay him if he wins?

USC.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #105
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Then I guess they should be prepared for the rise in tuition next year if he wins.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #106
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Then I guess they should be prepared for the rise in tuition next year if he wins.
He won't win, but there's probably enough incentive there for both parties to settle.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #107
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
FYI - My inside sources just said Ken turned down the job at BYU (Couldn't make the $ work), to me that signals that Kalani Sitake will be the next HC at BYU. I will be shocked if it wasn't.
So is Mike Leach not LDS, or was he just not a consideration?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #108
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
He won't win, but there's probably enough incentive there for both parties to settle.

When you know where the bodies are buried...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #109
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

I wasn't sure if your question was serious. The real answer is USC almost certainly has Employer Practices Liability Insurance.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #110
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
So is Mike Leach not LDS, or was he just not a consideration?

Mike is LDS but he has to be active LDS which he isn't.

The Head Coach position at BYU has a very slim candidate pool. You have to be LDS, you have to be active and from my understanding (Not saying this is truth) you have to be temple worthy. (Active, Full Tithe Payer, fulfilling your callings, following the tenets of the faith, etc).

That last line alone eliminates Leach pretty quickly. I would love to see him here, the fan base wouldn't know how to handle him, but they would love the high scoring offenses he brings back.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #111
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mike is LDS but he has to be active LDS which he isn't.

The Head Coach position at BYU has a very slim candidate pool. You have to be LDS, you have to be active and from my understanding (Not saying this is truth) you have to be temple worthy. (Active, Full Tithe Payer, fulfilling your callings, following the tenets of the faith, etc).

That last line alone eliminates Leach pretty quickly. I would love to see him here, the fan base wouldn't know how to handle him, but they would love the high scoring offenses he brings back.
Gotcha - thanks for the clarification.

So it's looking like Sitake then?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #112
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
My brother-in-law, Seth Littrell, was hired to be the head coach for North Texas on Saturday. He's married to my wife's sister. He's a really good dude. His oldest boy, Trip, was born with a heart defect and required surgery. He'll be introduced today at 12:30 CT. My wife's family is pretty excited about it being his first HC job and that he'll be closer to home.

My thanks to him for his work with the UNC offense.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #113
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Gotcha - thanks for the clarification.

So it's looking like Sitake then?

ACTUALLY....things just changed....

I guess it's all but done with Ken N now, been kept under wraps, has been asked to not be released until after Sat due to the Army / Navy game and the focus.

If that is the case, you may see Sitake leave OSU and come to BYU as DC.

mind you, this isn't me piecing info together. This is coming from sources from within the program. I know the school had to pony up more $ to make it work.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-08-2015 at 03:01 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #114
MrBug708
Head Coach

Magnum is going to transfer then, right?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #115
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
ACTUALLY....things just changed....

I guess it's all but done with Ken N now, been kept under wraps, has been asked to not be released until after Sat due to the Army / Navy game and the focus.

If that is the case, you may see Sitake leave OSU and come to BYU as DC.

mind you, this isn't me piecing info together. This is coming from sources from within the program. I know the school had to pony up more $ to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Magnum is going to transfer then, right?

I would like a Ken N/Sitake combination, with the understanding that Kalani is asst head coach and next in line.

But a big no to the triple option, would never fit at BYU and the only dual threat QB's in the picture are Beau Hoge, good solid back up, but that I all and Jaren Hall, who is Taysom like, but going on a mission. All the others in the pipeline are more traditional BYU types.

I hope if it is Ken, he gets an OC that would keep the current system. There are rumors about Ty Detmer, don't think they hold water, with the best option probably the current QB Coach Jason Beck.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #116
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I wasn't sure if your question was serious. The real answer is USC almost certainly has Employer Practices Liability Insurance.

It was more or less a case of me not thinking it through TBH
Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #117
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Has there ever been a case of a college coach being fired for sucking and then subsequently being successful on an equal level?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #118
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Has there ever been a case of a college coach being fired for sucking and then subsequently being successful on an equal level?
Gene Stallings comes to mind.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Who is Ken N?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 AM   #120
digamma
Torchbearer

Navy Head Coach Ken Niumatalolo, I think.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #121
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I would like a Ken N/Sitake combination, with the understanding that Kalani is asst head coach and next in line.

But a big no to the triple option, would never fit at BYU and the only dual threat QB's in the picture are Beau Hoge, good solid back up, but that I all and Jaren Hall, who is Taysom like, but going on a mission. All the others in the pipeline are more traditional BYU types.

I hope if it is Ken, he gets an OC that would keep the current system. There are rumors about Ty Detmer, don't think they hold water, with the best option probably the current QB Coach Jason Beck.

So my insider on Kens staff has said that Ken is coming to Provo, trying to convince the entire Offensive staff to stay and wants to try and get Kalani from OSU.

Ken was informed the Triple Option was not a possibility to run on offense here at BYU and he was fine with it and said that is what coordinators are for.

We will see if this catches legs or if the Navy counters BYU's offer.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #122
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Terps hire Mike London as associate HC and DL coach. Bodes well for recruiting the Virginia area.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #123
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Who is Ken N?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Navy Head Coach Ken Niumatalolo, I think.

Correct, one of only two solid choices IMO for the job (Him or Sataki), though Lance Anderson from Stanford would be solid as well, but I haven't heard much of him being in the mix.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #124
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. Oh, you said college. Hmm... Frank Beamer should have been fired... There has to have been some mid to lower level HC who got fired as HC, got a coordinator job at a big school then ascended to HC when that guy retired, but I'm coming up blank right now.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #125
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Maybe Frank Solich?

Rich Rodriguez?

That's all I got. And Solich wasn't unsuccessful at NU, he just wasn't Osborne.

Last edited by vex : 12-09-2015 at 02:20 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #126
BishopMVP
Coordinator

RichRod's a good call. No, Arizona(/WV if he goes back) aren't quite on the same level Michigan is, but they're at the same conference level. Although that argument looked a lot better in September than it does after Arizona's 2015 season.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #127
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Holgorsen is back next year unless WVU lays an egg in the Cactus Bowl. As I said earlier, I expect an extension that is put in place for recruiting purposes. I also expect Jake Spavital to return to WVU as OC.

Next year will be Holgorsen's year to show real progress. If he doesn't then he'll be gone and the short list to replace him would probably go: Jimbo (unlikely), Tressell (show cause will be up and he's E. Gordon Gee's guy), and Rich in no particular order. After those guys you'd probably get into up and coming coaches like Brohm and Rhule.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #128
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Rich rod succeeded at his first stop (wvu) then struggled on a bigger stage.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #129
MrBug708
Head Coach

He was also a terrible fit for Michigan. I think he could do well at a variety of schools. He really needs to let go of the 3-3-5
Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jeremy Pruitt returns to Alabama as DC according to sources (being reported in both Tuscaloosa & Athens)

Can't say that I saw that one coming, figured the Michigan rumor would hold up.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tulane to hire Ga Southern coach Willie Fritz, per espn
Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #132
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well this is slightly amusing, in order to replace DC Chris Ash, who took Rutgers' HC gig, Ohio State just hired former Rutgers HC Greg Schiano as its new DC.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #133
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well this is slightly amusing, in order to replace DC Chris Ash, who took Rutgers' HC gig, Ohio State just hired former Rutgers HC Greg Schiano as its new DC.

Schiano must not be very happy with the level of interest he's getting for head coach jobs. Can't see him being a DC for more than a year.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #134
Butter
Coordinator

He can help OSU get those sweet, sweet Jersey recruits.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #135
Balldog
Pro Rookie

2015 College Football Coach Hiring Thread

I like the Schiano hire for Osu

Last edited by Balldog : 12-11-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #136
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Schiano must not be very happy with the level of interest he's getting for head coach jobs. Can't see him being a DC for more than a year.

The stories circulating is that he wasn't happy with the offers he got and overplayed his hand. I can't see this opening up some major job for him, but it's not like he needs the money, so it's all about the right fit. Might as well hang out in Columbus for the year, with a HC he likes without the pressure of being a head coach yet.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #137
Swaggs
Coordinator

Urban Meyer seems day-to-day, so maybe he is thinking he may get an opportunity if Meyer flakes out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My fears about UGA getting better under a new coach have just been considerably relieved.

Local paper reports that a plane just left en route to Pittsburgh to pick up the new OC Jim Chaney.

I can't stop LOL'ing.

They'll be BEGGING for the return of the hapless No-Schott offense within weeks. Truly, he was a perfect match for Derek Doofus during their time in Knoxville. Two of the most clueless human beings to ever meet in the same place, it was like watching a Congressional luncheon when they got together.

I could scarcely have handpicked a coach I'd want on the UGA staff more.

#CantStopLaughing
Old 12-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #139
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah thats a weird one.
The Pitt fans I know were torn between wanting a new OC and not wanting to shake up what seemed like a rising tide at year's end.

I had like 3 UGA fans this week tell me UGA was hiring Clemson co-oc Tony Elliott and that it was a "done deal"...thats when you know you are talking to someone with no source. Clemson Alum. Given first coaching job by Swinney. Now is going to leave for same position, because obviously Clemson has shown they arent willing to pay coordinators, right?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #140
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Coach Ken comes into Provo on Monday, based upon the looks he was giving after the game today, it looked to me like he was saying goodbye.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #141
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Seems the Chaney hire was all about getting Sam Pittman. Smart has been saying all along that the number one issue he was going to address was the size and talent on the offensive line, and Pittman is reportedly the best o-line coach and recruiter in the country. They may have been the reason Smart targeted the Arkansas OC when no one had him on any list. Pittman was always the guy he wanted.

There were interesting words from Richt last night at the senior gala of UGA. He confirmed that Miami approached him about the job right after they fired Golden. He told them he was not interested at the time. Once he was let go, he was approached by 6 different schools but had actually planned to take the year off. He changed his mind because this was probably the only chance he'd have to return to Miami, so he decided to take the job.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #142
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This is probably the wrong thread for this, but what the heck is going on at Texas A&M?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #143
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is probably the wrong thread for this, but what the heck is going on at Texas A&M?

From the sounds of it they want Sumlin gone. Players and administration. Sumlin was trying to sacrifice Spavital to buy another year, but that might not work.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #144
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
From the sounds of it they want Sumlin gone. Players and administration. Sumlin was trying to sacrifice Spavital to buy another year, but that might not work.

Isn't it kinda late in the game to make a coaching change?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #145
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Never too late when you got money.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #146
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lot of NFL guys might be available soon
Old 12-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #147
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

The rumor on their end is he's out after the bowl.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #148
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Lot of NFL guys might be available soon

Yeah. But they're usually available for a reason.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #149
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Coach Ken is staying at Navy
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #150
digamma
Torchbearer

Will be interesting to see how Navy does next year. They had something ridiculous like 34 seniors in their 2 deep.