Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #351
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's not the gap that matters, per se. It's that far less people will watch games on New Years Eve - which depresses interest in the Championship.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #352
Logan
Head Coach

I posted an article a few days ago about ESPN needing to give $20MM in make goods to advertisers, and there was an article in the Sports Business Journal today about sponsors starting to ramp up the pressure to move it off NYE.

I think the CFP committee is hoping that having NYE fall on a Saturday next year materially improves the numbers before seriously considering a change. Obviously it solves the "work crowd" issue but it could worsen the "alternative plans" component. If it's still way off, they'll give up the charade of calling this a "modest drop" that they're not concerned about.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
There seems to be so little buzz for this game.

Too much down time between. And you lose the sustained interest of rest of the country outside the south once NFL playoffs begin.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #354
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm preaching to the choir, I know, but it still shocks me that anyone who gets paid to think about these things thought that NYE would ever be a good day for marquee games.

Personally, I'd put the semis before Christmas and have the NC the evening of January 2nd. You keep the bowl momentum going, and you take a time that is not currently already busy and jazz it up with huge games.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-11-2016 at 02:45 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #355
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

And, to get to Jon's point, having the NC on the 2nd means that you are out before the NFL playoffs.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #356
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Somewhat related:

Clemson-Alabama is cheapest national title ticket in recent years - CBSSports.com

Quote:
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona -- Ticket prices on the secondary market for Clemson vs. Alabama continued to drop Monday, meaning the second College Football Playoff National Championship will likely replace last year's inaugural game as the cheapest ticket in recent national title history.

Quote:
• 2016: Clemson vs. Alabama in Arizona -- $675
• 2015: Oregon vs. Ohio State in Texas -- $807
• 2014: Florida State vs. Auburn in California -- $889
• 2013: Alabama vs. Notre Dame in Florida -- $1,640
• 2012: Alabama vs. LSU in Louisiana -- $1,808
• 2011: Auburn vs. Oregon in Arizona -- $1,154
Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #357
tarcone
Coordinator

I forgot it was tonight until a guy at work asked who I was rooting for. It would have been different if Iowa was playing, obviously.
Its too late and the timing needs to be changed.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #358
digamma
Torchbearer

I've been to three national championship games at the Rose Bowl, plus the Auburn Oregon game in Glendale. By far the toughest ticket was USC-Texas. Alabama-Texas was fine. Auburn-Oregon seemed like a tough ticket, but I think that was in part due to not really knowing the landscape around the stadium and where people were selling. The bottom fell out of the Auburn-FSU market, and you could find tickets outside the game for less than $100, just prior to kick off.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #359
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like get in price at Stubhub is $125 right now.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Just eyeballing that, not inclined to actually Google map it & do the math but ... isn't this the largest combined mileage from schools/venue?

edit: Or at least about the same as FSU/Auburn?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2016 at 04:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #361
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

And, to get to Jon's point, having the NC on the 2nd means that you are out before the NFL playoffs.

Yep. My attention this weekend was on the NFL, and I mostly forgot about the championship game.

I don't understand why they don't put the semis in December.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #362
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Meh, yall might have forgotten but me, my wife and both my kids have been in AZ since Friday.

About to walk into the stadium now.

With Lawson and Alexander both being out(our severely limited), its going to be a tough climb for my tigers. But win or lose im proud of the season we have had.

Go Tigers
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #363
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Meh, yall might have forgotten but me, my wife and both my kids have been in AZ since Friday.

About to walk into the stadium now.

With Lawson and Alexander both being out(our severely limited), its going to be a tough climb for my tigers. But win or lose im proud of the season we have had.

Go Tigers

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #364
tarcone
Coordinator

Good luck.

Go Clemson!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #365
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Be interested to see how it plays on TV it's probably a 60/40 Clemson crowd if not 70/30. Not surprising I suppose since it's so more common for Bama. Hopefully the Clemson faithful are cheering late into the 4th quarter.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #366
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's go Clemson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #367
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

So if I were to sign someone to come in and do teh national anthem for a game like this, I'd want someone with some cache, but some serious pipes. Probably Jill Scott. Yeah, Jill Scott.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

STrictly so that I'm on the record with an official prediction, this c&p from my social media

So, Bama vs Clemson. I'm predicting Bama, by around two touchdowns & possibly more. I think size/strength up front advantage overcomes the potential issues of a vulnerable secondary. That's my prediction for the record.

But how I'm rooting.? Honestly, I don't know that I am. It's more fun to watch people nationally melt down when Bama wins. I can make an argument about "what's better for the game" in both directions. Dynasties are more interesting than the lack of them but Clemson finally getting the job done isn't a horrible storyline either. Both have some top-notch players. I'm an ACC guy by history & nature but Clemson isn't a particular fave of mine within the conference.

Rooting interest? Honestly I hope that when the game ends fans on both sides can walk away saying "the better team won the game, props to them" and that we don't get some screwy officiating or injuries that play a big role in the outcome. That's about all the rooting I feel coming for me in
this one.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: to change size to size/strength
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If a walk-on is the eventual star, that's a darned good story I have to admit
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, yes, Clemson has now matched my expectation for their scoring.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #371
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson going through this Alabama defense like a hot knife on butter.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #372
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Henry is a man amongst boys out there.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 PM   #373
bhlloy
Coordinator

Clemson may have missed their chance to pull away. Just get the feeling the momentum has turned
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #374
TroyF
Coordinator

Clemson got royally screwed at the end of the first half. They could have had another player to get a few more yards and make that field goal easier. I don't think the announcers are making a big enough deal about that. If they lose this game by three, it will be the story of the game for me.

The refs MUST do a better job of that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #375
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Clemson got royally screwed at the end of the first half. They could have had another player to get a few more yards and make that field goal easier. I don't think the announcers are making a big enough deal about that. If they lose this game by three, it will be the story of the game for me.

The refs MUST do a better job of that.

I was likewise confused about why no review of the spot on that Bama 3rd down at their own 20. It worked out for them on the next play but it seemed odd not to check that in a game of this magnitude (yeah, that shouldn't matter but ...)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #376
MrBug708
Head Coach

#pac12refs
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Isn't that at least the third time a receiver on that side has been not just open but wiiiiiide open?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #378
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seriously, how do teams that are this good let guys THAT wide open?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #379
TroyF
Coordinator

Memo to the announcers, what you are calling a fantastic defensive play is pass interference. I'm sorry that you, like the refs, cannot see that the Bama player clearly grabbed the WR arms before the ball got there. Unless you are a member of the Seattle Seahawk secondary, that is a penalty.

Just thought you'd like to know,

TroyF

Note: I'm not upset the refs missed the call. In real time it would have been difficult to see. (though I think they should have seen it) Those things happen. You, on replay, should be able to see what happened there. You are idiots. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Memo to the announcers, what you are calling a fantastic defensive play is pass interference. I'm sorry that you, like the refs, cannot see that the Bama player clearly grabbed the WR arms before the ball got there. Unless you are a member of the Seattle Seahawk secondary, that is a penalty.

Just thought you'd like to know,

TroyF

Note: I'm not upset the refs missed the call. In real time it would have been difficult to see. (though I think they should have seen it) Those things happen. You, on replay, should be able to see what happened there. You are idiots. Thanks.

There's no shortage of defensive holding on a LOT of these plays.

And aside from any penalty (I wasn't looking that far back in the play tbh) I'm not convinced that was a great defensive play so much as his arm just happened to get tangled up in everything. It didn't look all that intentional to me.

edit to clarify: I wasn't suggesting a def. holding occurred on that play. I was referring to some pretty obvious ones that occurred earlier in the game, never mentioned, just visible on routine replays.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #381
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Isn't that at least the third time a receiver on that side has been not just open but wiiiiiide open?

Not only this game. I've seen that type of blown coverage about 10 times in the last three or four weeks, both NFL and college. Unbelievably poor defense.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #382
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There's no shortage of defensive holding on a LOT of these plays.

And aside from any penalty (I wasn't looking that far back in the play tbh) I'm not convinced that was a great defensive play so much as his arm just happened to get tangled up in everything. It didn't look all that intentional to me.

I agree. I'm not as bothered by the refs missing that as the announcers. That makes two times tonight the announcers clearly missed a key play in real time. The first one they tried to correct after the half. On this one, it was still PI after the first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth looks, yet they continued to prattle on about a great defensive play. Sorry, the arms were hit before the ball got there and that isn't like the feet getting tangled up. He interfered with the WR catching the ball. They should be talking about how the freshman got away with one, not how terrific of a play it was.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #383
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Lets guard Howard, Clemson! Wide open the entire game.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

1st half was Watson vs Henry.

Henry has been awfully quiet in q3, poor 1st downs will do that.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-11-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #385
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You would make one amazing official. It's a shame the world won't get to see it.

Ya know, if you read my post, I mentioned multiple times I wasn't upset they missed the call. I was upset the announcers screwed it up. I made the point that it was tough to call in real time. I'd like to see them get that one right, but it isn't the end of the world if they miss something that close. It happens. The announcer? On slow motion replay? They shouldn't be missing it.

As far as the screw up at the end of the first half? That's unacceptable in a national title game. You can defend your profession all you want, it was a terribly reffed end of the half and it could have a direct result on the game.

I wouldn't have been a good ref. . . then again, I'm also not paid to be either. I can also be critical of players (though I would also suck as a football player), politicians, journalists (I have a journalism degree, am I allowed to be critical of them?), and even the occasional judge or celebrity. What can I say? I'm a scumbag. I'm sure my scathing opinion of refs have caused many of them to kill themselves in shame. Sorry about that.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
#pac12refs

I actually thought you were kidding. And then I looked it up.

O.M.G.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #387
kingfc22
Head Coach

Well played.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #388
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ballsy
Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #389
MrBug708
Head Coach

I hope Dabo is pissed at his own team
Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #390
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Umm ... wow.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #391
Easy Mac

So what is Dabo upset about?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #392
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ya know, if you read my post, I mentioned multiple times I wasn't upset they missed the call. I was upset the announcers screwed it up. I made the point that it was tough to call in real time. I'd like to see them get that one right, but it isn't the end of the world if they miss something that close. It happens. The announcer? On slow motion replay? They shouldn't be missing it.

As far as the screw up at the end of the first half? That's unacceptable in a national title game. You can defend your profession all you want, it was a terribly reffed end of the half and it could have a direct result on the game.

I wouldn't have been a good ref. . . then again, I'm also not paid to be either. I can also be critical of players (though I would also suck as a football player), politicians, journalists (I have a journalism degree, am I allowed to be critical of them?), and even the occasional judge or celebrity. What can I say? I'm a scumbag. I'm sure my scathing opinion of refs have caused many of them to kill themselves in shame. Sorry about that.

I didn't call you a scum bag...quit being a drama queen. I was just being a smart ass.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-11-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #393
kingfc22
Head Coach

Blown coverage again?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #394
cuervo72
Head Coach

Again. What the hell are they doing?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #395
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, there's that secondary issue again.

Honestly, have defensive schemes gotten so complex (and so multiple) that players simply can't execute them any more?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #396
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I didn't call you a scum bag...quit being a drama queen. I was just being a smart ass.

It came off pretty poorly, fwiw. It didn't read with any light-hearted jab at all IMO.

And nearly prompted a major heartfelt response directed at the profession as a whole.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #397
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Should be upset about his players blowing assignments and giving up huge plays.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #398
bhlloy
Coordinator

Basic blown coverages are going to cost them this game. I know they have at least one backup in there but the coaches should be able to simplify things so that doesn't keep happening
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #399
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

He's trying to argue that his player did not have an unimpeded opportunity to catch the kick and it should have been KCI.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #400
Easy Mac

Even with 10 minutes left, id still bet on Clemson to score 2 TDs than Bama to score another.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote