Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
Football Frontier RSS Feed
Auto-Feed From Football Frontier

Exclamation Greatest Teams of All-Time and the Panthers

I keep track of a general assessment of the greatest teams in NFL history, based on points scored and allowed, overall record, playoff performance and correlations with historic records. The 1985 Bears are the gold standard (not Gould standard, as … Continue reading →

More...

Football Frontier RSS Feed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

I don't think many people feel this is going to be a great football game. The only thing that can keep this game interesting is if the Denver defense can keep it close.I don't really buy into the simple methodology of above average in points against vs the rest of the league. It eliminates not only schedule strength, but how the points are scored.

In other words, I think the Denver defense is a lot better than a vast majority of Super Bowl teams, not equal to them.

I didn't have time to go through all of those teams in your list, but my guess is that most of those huge underdogs had average to above average turnover ratios.I'm certain virtually all of the dominant teams did. This is where the Broncos of this year come in. They were a -4 this year. Very few teams in the modern era have had a worse turnover rate and ended up in the Super Bowl.

For example: the only two teams to even make the playoffs with a negative turnover differential the last 3 years are the Colts of 2014 and the Broncos of 2015.

(In other words, this defense is pretty damned good)

I don't know how much it matters next Sunday. As good as the defense is, the offense will struggle to move the ball. The only hope is the Broncos defense proves me right and steps up huge. If the offense somehow scores 17 points and doesn't turn the ball over? Denver has a real shot. I don't think it happens, but it isn't as unlikely as some meteor strike either.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Without facts or anything but my gut, I am calling for Denver to win the Super Bowl...just a feeling I have regardless of what stats and history might say.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote