Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2024, 10:37 AM   #1
bblom23
n00b

Restructuring Contracts Question

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the details on how contracts work fully. What is the downside to always restructuring contracts to free up cap space?

bblom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:58 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

In FOF, contracts are simplified to just two components: bonus paid out immediately but counted against the cap in equal installments for each year of the full contract... and base salary that is earned each year and counts in that year.

The simplest restructuring is taking some portion (or all) of a player's base salary this year that exceeds the minimum, converting it to bonus, and thereby stretching out that cap effect over the remaining duration of the contract.

If he was making $20m more than minsal this year, and has 3 years left, by doing a max restructuring or "capout," you are adding $5m to each of the next three years in unavoidable cap hits, in order to free up $15m in cap space this year.

So, you are just pushing costs from today until tomorrow.

Worth it? Depends on how badly you need the cap space right now, overall.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:01 AM   #3
bblom23
n00b

Thank you! I appreciate the explanation. I needed to double check before I got myself in trouble by restructuring too many contracts.
bblom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:18 PM   #4
Colly
n00b

I've not used the "cap out" mechanism but I've found the whole cap management mechanic coupled with the draft and free agency mechanics one of the most fun aspects of the game so far.

It's quite a challenge sometimes to manage all three effectively, especially when the randomness of injuries gets thrown into the mix.

On more than one occasion I found myself just renegotiating a contract to lower my overall cap hit and/or to entice a team to take a trade on a player I wanted to move but couldn't when a high-value low-year contract was not appealing but the renegotiated lower value longer term was.
Colly is offline   Reply With Quote