Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

I passed my checkride today!!

Wow, in my spare time when I am not on the FOFC board, or playing one of my numerous teams, I have time to fly airplanes.

Three years of training has led me to this moment. And from here my new career begins. Flying 50 or 70 seat jets!!

Watch the sky.....I may be flying your next flight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Re: I passed my checkride today!!

Quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan
Wow, in my spare time when I am not on the FOFC board, or playing one of my numerous teams, I have time to fly airplanes.

Three years of training has led me to this moment. And from here my new career begins. Flying 50 or 70 seat jets!!

Watch the sky.....I may be flying your next flight.

Way to go! I would love to learn to fly, but I wouldn't trust myself.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 05:46 AM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Congrats on the checkride pilotman.

how does it compare to that first solo?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:51 AM   #4
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Gratz!!
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

I still think that your first solo is one of the most exciting things you will ever do. The second that the flight instructor gets out of the airplane and you takeoff and realize that only you are going to get yourself safely on the ground, a nervous excited feeling takes you over. After you've landed your adrenaline is pumping and you can do nothing but smile.

Other rides that are similar are when you actually get you private pilots liscence, and when they tell you that you are good enough to teach other people how to fly. Those are the best.

Today, this ride was a great feeling of relief, the training course is very fast and this is a big jump in airplanes from what I had been flying. In addition, it's nice to know that I'll actually be able to support my family. As a flight instructor last year I made about $10,000, this will be a big step up from that.

Like Steam?

Old 03-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #6
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan
I still think that your first solo is one of the most exciting things you will ever do... After you've landed your adrenaline is pumping and you can do nothing but smile.

That sounds like first time sex...
Old 03-19-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
That sounds like first time sex...

...especially when the training instructor gets off of your girlfriend and leaves you there all alone with her for the first time!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
PilotMan
Head Coach

ALF: not the first time I have heard that.

Ksyryp: LMAO

Like Steam?

Old 04-09-2023, 10:04 AM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

Super thread bump....It's been 20 years since I started this career. In that time I've worked for 3 companies, flown nearly 12000 hours, flown over the Atlantic, Pacific, Central and South America. I've flown all the CRJ variants, all the 737 variants, the 777 and the 787. Now, I can say, I've climbed the mountain. I have reached the pinnacle of my career with 17 years to go.

I am now a captain at a legacy airline.

So dream fulfilled. Boxes checked. Going back to the 737 for the next few years, so if you're domestic, and want to meet up with a PilotMan on a layover hit me up. It doesn't work out very often, but sometimes it does. So it's handy to have people and plans laid out ahead of time. I've been with FOFC since I was getting my initial ratings, and now I wanted to share this momentous moment with you.

Like Steam?

Old 04-11-2023, 11:55 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

good stuff PilotMan, hats off to you
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Congrats man, that is indeed a great accomplishment!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:27 PM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yay PM!
Old 04-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Gratz and does that mean you will come through Phoenix again at some point?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #14
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Congrats! Though I'm sure you will never fly into Atlanta since it such a small, out of the way hub.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #15
Ksyrup

I'll be through Atlanta 3 times in 5 days in mid-May - headed to West Palm Beach for a graduation to Birmingham for a wedding and back home.

Of course, I suppose I could drive 90 minutes up 75 to see you if I really wanted to. We were there this weekend and spent a couple hours at Jungle Jim's which has now become my new favorite place to shop/kill an entire afternoon.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-11-2023, 01:57 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

To coin a phrase that seems fitting .... you love to fly and it shows

(odds are that's the wrong legacy airline but hey, close enough lol)
Old 04-11-2023, 01:58 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'll be through Atlanta 3 times in 5 days in mid-May - headed to West Palm Beach for a graduation to Birmingham for a wedding and back home.

If I'm reading that correctly, you might actually spend more time in the security lines than you spend in the air.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:59 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Congrats!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #19
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If I'm reading that correctly, you might actually spend more time in the security lines than you spend in the air.

Nah. No security in ATL and Lexington is a breeze. We'll see about PBI but I'm not worried about it. With TSA precheck I rarely spend more than 10-15 minutes tops in security at any airport.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:57 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is awesome news. So cool. Every time I fly I look for you.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #21
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Love ya buddy! Sorry, CAPTAIN buddy!
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

I figured by now you'd be flying us all around in some kind of FOFC plane, but, getting past that disappointment, congrats!

Last edited by molson : 04-11-2023 at 03:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:25 PM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Good stuff!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I figured by now you'd be flying us all around in some kind of FOFC plane, but, getting past that disappointment, congrats!

We've never managed to buy one. Or that aircraft carrier. Or the abandoned college.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #25
Ksyrup

Not colossal enough.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:16 PM   #26
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Good for you, PilotMan, congrats!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:18 PM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Gratz and does that mean you will come through Phoenix again at some point?

Yes! I have no idea how those trips look, or if it's this or the Bus that does them, but yes, I am back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Of course, I suppose I could drive 90 minutes up 75 to see you if I really wanted to. We were there this weekend and spent a couple hours at Jungle Jim's which has now become my new favorite place to shop/kill an entire afternoon.

Yep, I'm still here if you ever feel like getting some dinner or something too! Which location did you go to? The one over on the east side, or the original up in Fairfield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

If you buy it...I will fly it!

Like Steam?

Old 04-11-2023, 04:21 PM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thank you for the congrats's!

It's pretty weird that my time at FOFC (especially when you count that year I was just lurking prior to signing up) predates just about all my flight time!

We're old. Officially. Just happy I got here. And now, the goal is to make sure that I see my retirement day and know when my retirement flight will be. Got many, many years to get that planned though!

Like Steam?

Old 04-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #29
Ksyrup

We were at the Jungle Jim's in Eastgate. It's about 20 minutes from where my daughter and her boyfriend live in Ft. Thomas.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #30
PilotMan
Head Coach

Eastgate is good, huge, but it lacks some of the charm of the original. It's a bit longer drive, but worth the stop if you find yourself up that way. Tons upon tons of stuff to look at.

Like Steam?

Old 04-11-2023, 04:42 PM   #31
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Can I try on your uniform?
Old 04-11-2023, 06:39 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I used to love Jungle Jims
Old 04-11-2023, 07:14 PM   #33
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Can I try on your uniform?

There's got to be a snap filter that works just as good. Could fool anyone.

Like Steam?

Old 04-11-2023, 07:46 PM   #34
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Congratulations and great work PM!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:25 AM   #35
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Mrs and I left home on April 12. She came along, we drove out to Denver road trip style over 4 days, hitting things here and there. I did about 30 days worth of training with a new hire a my first officer. Days off early on were spent going here and there in the car, Bolder, Breckinridge, Springs, Wild Animal Sanctuary. Days off later were spent resting.

Most of training started at 4a, which was painful. The Mrs is vegan with food allergies and Denver is fantastic and puts Cincinnati to shame. It's even better than NYC. (Kansas is a wasteland of options) Just fantastic options. We had 2 different "evaluations" and then the final check ride Thursday. All passed.

The Mrs and I hit the road again and finally get back home again today, after another 4 days on the road. Highlights coming back were the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and Ted Drew's Frozen Custard (hadn't been there in 10+ years. Still amazing). In total 40 days. I'll be in a real airplane again, in the left seat, on Wednesday. It's gonna be a blast!

Like Steam?

Old 05-22-2023, 07:52 AM   #36
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Late to the party, but always fun reading your posts. Congrats on the captainship and scooting over to the lefthand-side on Wednesday!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:57 AM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The Mrs and I left home on April 12. She came along, we drove out to Denver road trip style over 4 days, hitting things here and there. I did about 30 days worth of training with a new hire a my first officer. Days off early on were spent going here and there in the car, Bolder, Breckinridge, Springs, Wild Animal Sanctuary. Days off later were spent resting.

Most of training started at 4a, which was painful. The Mrs is vegan with food allergies and Denver is fantastic and puts Cincinnati to shame. It's even better than NYC. (Kansas is a wasteland of options) Just fantastic options. We had 2 different "evaluations" and then the final check ride Thursday. All passed.

The Mrs and I hit the road again and finally get back home again today, after another 4 days on the road. Highlights coming back were the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and Ted Drew's Frozen Custard (hadn't been there in 10+ years. Still amazing). In total 40 days. I'll be in a real airplane again, in the left seat, on Wednesday. It's gonna be a blast!

What an awesome adventure. Are you going to announce over the PA it is your first flight as a captain?
Old 05-22-2023, 08:20 AM   #38
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

lol
Old 05-22-2023, 09:43 AM   #39
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What an awesome adventure. Are you going to announce over the PA it is your first flight as a captain?

And if you do, please have one of the flight attendants recording LOL
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:57 AM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've considered it, but I don't think the traveling public will be nearly as impressed with myself and I am.

Like Steam?

Old 05-22-2023, 11:28 AM   #41
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I've considered it, but I don't think the traveling public will be nearly as impressed with myself and I am.