Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2023, 11:13 AM   #25151
Kodos
Resident Alien

Filet o' Fish was okay, if you substituted ketchup for the tartar sauce.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #25152
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My wife put in her two weeks officially today. She was recruited by another mom and pop vision center a little further away. She has been at her current job for 6 years, and came over when her employer of 11 years was retiring and sold to a corporate vision company that immediately wanted to make the office a more retail operation. She is a licensed optician, and she takes eye-care very seriously. She is not willing to just sell something to people they don't need for higher profits.
She has a great reputation in the community. Many patients followed her over to her current office, and other opticians regularly call her for advise or send tricky patience to her to handle. The main reason this other office recruited her was they asked around for who would be a good fit for their Optical Manager, and every rep and local center had my wife as the first name they gave.
But she would never have even considered taking the job, especially considering she brought to friends to work with her over to her current practice, if her boss had done one simple thing. Gave her a raise at some point in 6 years. She started really pretty underpaid for her position, but all she has ever heard from her boss is how she was the highest paid employee she ever had. Last year she sat down with her boss and showed her how many tens of thousands of dollars a year she brought into the office on top of the tens of thousands of dollars she saves her in efficiencies from the way the optical was run before. Not to mention she is now doing the work two opticians were doing when she started, because one quit and was never replaced. Still, her boss said they just couldn't afford it, while at the same time saying that my wife IS the optical center, and she might just close the doors if she left.
When she resigned to her last night, she immediately offered to match whatever the other office was paying, but by the time my wife was already out the door. The raise she asked for last year was well less than what she will be getting at the new office, but if her boss would have gave it to her she would have never even consider the other offer.

Two things I have learned in my work life:
1. People who have had success in business are definitely not smarter than the average person. Usually they are just more selfish and self-centered.
2. The simplest gestures to keep employees happy can be just beyond some employers. I worked at a place for several years that just time and time again lost employees the same way. Small, incremental raises was all they needed to do, but they lost way more money having to constantly hire and retrain people.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-26-2023 at 12:29 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:08 PM   #25153
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good going, Mrs. GrantDawg!
Old 05-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #25154
GrantDawg

I found in the wild today "Sam Adams Non-Alcoholic IPA." The only thing good about the bat-piss that is IPA is the fact it has alcohol. Removing the alcohol just makes it a blatant hate crime.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:32 PM   #25155
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I am seriously surprised that anyone on this site eats at mcdonalds without their wives or doctors putting them on 24/7 surveillannce. The place is salt and fried food bastion...and I don't even want to talk about their use of oily american cheese.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:57 PM   #25156
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think I've come to the point where I totally agree with my dad. I am sick of people getting in my face about something. NO matter what it is. I mean obviously the literal getting in my face definition but I'm also tired of being hit over the head with a cause. No I do not want to participate in your cause because you are obnoxious and I just don't want to go along with what you are saying even if I do agree with the principles of it. NO matter what side it is on. Of course I'm not allowed to SAY this out loud because then suddenly I"m an enemy.
I hate life
Old 05-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #25157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I am seriously surprised that anyone on this site eats at mcdonalds without their wives or doctors putting them on 24/7 surveillannce. The place is salt and fried food bastion...and I don't even want to talk about their use of oily american cheese.

Fortunately, not everyone's life is ruled by their wife or doctor. They could surveil I suppose but all that'd get is a well-deserved middle finger.

Personally, I'm seriously surprised that anyone who can't appreciate salt and fried food finds any legitimate reason to want to live.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:21 PM   #25158
cuervo72
Head Coach

Now, my wife and I in theory both want to lose weight and eat better.

Today's meal was a stuffed pretzel crust with pepperoni, pepperoni cheese bread, and a crazy combo from Little Caesar's.

Let me tell you, that kosher salt on the pretzel crust is a WONDERFUL bite.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:29 PM   #25159
cuervo72
Head Coach

(mind you we do not come remotely close to eating all this in one meal -- I'm just now having my third piece of the stuffed crust, wife had just two segments of the cheese bread, and Younger Child's GF is helping eat)
Old 05-27-2023, 05:39 PM   #25160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
(mind you we do not come remotely close to eating all this in one meal -- I'm just now having my third piece of the stuffed crust, wife had just two segments of the cheese bread, and Younger Child's GF is helping eat)

I can get three rounds outta LCs easy.
It's typically two even when the kid is home.

And that has tremendous value, the more meals I can get out of a single food decision the bigger win it becomes.

As we literally sit here as I type trying to figure out wtf the next food round here is gonna be.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:49 PM   #25161
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Now, my wife and I in theory both want to lose weight and eat better.

Today's meal was a stuffed pretzel crust with pepperoni, pepperoni cheese bread, and a crazy combo from Little Caesar's.

Let me tell you, that kosher salt on the pretzel crust is a WONDERFUL bite.

We decided to try it and both felt that it had way too much cheese - so much so that I had to eat half of it with a fork because the crust couldn't hold the cheese to eat it like a regular slice.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:56 PM   #25162
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was that with the cheese sauce or regular pizza sauce? Though I guess I've had both, and didn't have a problem with either. It was constituted better than some Pizza Hut stuffed crust that I've had, honestly.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:02 PM   #25163
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh yeah - our problem with the multi-meal orders is that my wife will tire of leftovers much, MUCH faster than I will. I will have to compensate by eating more for lunches and other dinners, sometimes even getting something fresh for her/others. Sometimes we end up throwing some out.

(We also sometimes have the...questionable habit of just leaving the pizza out all week. Eventually it gets finished or dried out.)
Old 05-27-2023, 06:52 PM   #25164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh yeah - our problem with the multi-meal orders is that my wife will tire of leftovers much, MUCH faster than I will. I will have to compensate by eating more for lunches and other dinners, sometimes even getting something fresh for her/others. Sometimes we end up throwing some out.

(We also sometimes have the...questionable habit of just leaving the pizza out all week. Eventually it gets finished or dried out.)

I'm struggling with some of that lately, the kid is way better about it than I am. The past few weeks I'm struggling with finding enough motivation to even deal with nuking anything
Old 05-27-2023, 07:57 PM   #25165
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Daughter and I just tried Hot Mustard Doritos and holy fuck they were nasty.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:09 PM   #25166
Ksyrup

Quote:
Was that with the cheese sauce or regular pizza sauce? Though I guess I've had both, and didn't have a problem with either. It was constituted better than some Pizza Hut stuffed crust that I've had, honestly.

Regular pizza sauce. I'm not an extra cheese kinda guy, and I suppose we got more than we paid for, but I thought it made the pizza worse.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-27-2023, 09:48 PM   #25167
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fortunately, not everyone's life is ruled by their wife or doctor. They could surveil I suppose but all that'd get is a well-deserved middle finger.

Personally, I'm seriously surprised that anyone who can't appreciate salt and fried food finds any legitimate reason to want to live.

lol I'm still laughing at this! Thanks bud

also I don't care if people eat fast food...as long as it tastes good. And man mcd's is SO NASTY! I just can't see how anyone eats ANYTHING with gross american cheese and that fake and that makes my stomach curdle like that place
Old 05-27-2023, 11:34 PM   #25168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
lol I'm still laughing at this! Thanks bud

also I don't care if people eat fast food...as long as it tastes good. And man mcd's is SO NASTY! I just can't see how anyone eats ANYTHING with gross american cheese and that fake and that makes my stomach curdle like that place

{shrug} Your basic American cheese is really idea for two things: grilled cheese and cheesburgers. Those are its sweet spot.

If somebody is texture/flavor combo challenged and doesn't get that, I can only feel bad for them and hope someday medical science finds a cure.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:14 AM   #25169
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, what fast-ish food is least bad 2nd day after?

I ordered an extra order of tacos from Chipotle, but second day tacos are HORRID.. (didn't help that they jammed them into the container, so they had basically fused together)
Old 05-28-2023, 02:02 AM   #25170
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Scorsese says answering pope's call, will make Jesus film

Here comes "Last Temptation of Christ 2"
Old 05-28-2023, 03:20 AM   #25171
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I ordered an extra order of tacos from Chipotle, but second day tacos are HORRID.. (didn't help that they jammed them into the container, so they had basically fused together)

Tacos struggle, probably the better the taco the more it suffers with time. Taco Bell, for example, soft tacos hold up fairly well. Better still maybe, however, is the cheapish burrito thing, which will nuke fine in 24h and okay within 48h. Just make sure you avoid anything on it that shouldn't nuke (like lettuce)

Smaller McDs -- double cheeseburger, McChicken -- nukes fairly well within 48 hours though the longer you wait the more you risk a hard bun. The key to those is making sure [u]nothing[/i] is exposed during the nuking. Their buns survive better than just about anybody's, BK is passable though 48 hours is pushing it, Wendy's is a reheating disaster waiting to happen even within 12 hours.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:55 AM   #25172
Edward64
Head Coach

Chinese food like from Panda Express.

The Lo Mein noodles or like (e.g. pasta) don't hold up well for the 2nd day but the other stuff are still pretty decent.

For the fried stuff, microwaving sucks, better to reheat in oven or air fryer.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:13 AM   #25173
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, double cheese lasts pretty well because the bun is usually so melded to the meat that it doesn't get hard. I'd say the McChicken is a little worse there because there's not as much bind to the sandwich so more air gets to the bun.

Yes on soft tacos and the cheap burritos. Those are usually fine, especially the burritos (anything w/o lettuce fares better than with). Hard tacos can usually do next day in the toaster oven to get a little crunch back. But inevitably some fall apart and you just have to adapt and make it a taco salad/nachos.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #25174
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I don't know if it qualifies, but pretty much all Indian food holds up pretty well for days after the original order.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:05 PM   #25175
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

no one commenting on the race....any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2023, 05:52 PM   #25176
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Roger Waters better watch out.
There may be dogs about.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #25177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
no one commenting on the race....any thoughts?

Similar to something I noted on my social media last year (I think it was): not a single mention of Indy whatsoever.

It's just a non-factor at this point aside from maybe year-round fans.

I haven't even seen anybody mention NASCAR being postponed until tomorrow either. (sadly, my kid was supposed to be in Charlotte this weekend for the race but his buddy cancelled that plan midweek since the forecast has been obvious that no race was gonna happen today)
Old 05-28-2023, 06:46 PM   #25178
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I caugbht the end. Apparently there were multiple accidents and crashes like throughout the last 10 laps. THe sweden guy was in first for most of the time and lost it. I bet it was because the accidents slowed the race and allowed everyone to ketchup
Old 05-28-2023, 07:33 PM   #25179
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Formula 1 could go the same way if the other teams can't mount a decent challenge to Red Bull and if they keep giving races to petro states that inevitably build boring-ass courses.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:16 PM   #25180
cuervo72
Head Coach

Elder Child was there today, but we barely saw him because for whatever reason, they positioned the singer podium like 30 feet behind the band. They don't stay for the whole thing but got to watch the end on the bus. For whatever reason he said he was glad Ericsson didn't win again. (I don't know if this is a let someone else taste victory again or if he just doesn't like Ericsson.)

We kept the race on but mostly didn't pay attention to it. Kind of like some basketball games, actively watch for the last 5% of it.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 05-28-2023 at 08:17 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:40 PM   #25181
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Formula 1 could go the same way if the other teams can't mount a decent challenge to Red Bull and if they keep giving races to petro states that inevitably build boring-ass courses.

F1 is really bad this year. We have to watch the races. Wife is a higher up in Duracell and they sponsor Williams. My wifes boss quizzes them about the races. We have actually become fans but man, it really is a one man show.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:09 AM   #25182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Get a bowl with tortillas, salad and sour cream on the side. Should heat up easily.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:10 AM   #25183
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-
Air fryer will bring most anything back to life.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:02 PM   #25184
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Have you ever noticed how much warmer you feel just by putting on a pair of socks? They only cover a small part of your body, but they provide a huge boost to your toasty coefficient.

"Coasty toe-efficient."
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #25185
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Three things you never want the judge to put in an order denying your client (the village of Melrose Park)'s motion for a summary judgement:

"The Village of Melrose Park decided that it would be a good idea to issue...." (62 tickets on an elderly couple for having chairs on their lawn during the pandemic)

"A reader might be wondering how things could have gone so dramatically off the rails." (Apparently, most of them were in retaliation for the couple's son asking "Hey, what's up with the tickets?")

"If the reader is thinking that things have, at this point, gone completely off the rails, buckle up, because the ride is not yet over." The retaliation included a broken window, anonymous death threats, and a f-bomb laden tirade by the village official, who was responsible for the campaign against the son in an official "town meeting" with racist overtures, and filing a lien on the elderly couple's property about the now $31,000 in fines.

Casetext

(the case is still going on, the last missive from the judges ended with the sentence "Take a quiet moment of reflection about how a jury might see this case", ie, SETTLE YOU FOOLS!)

Honestly, with the level of detail in this judgement, I'm surprised he didn't have the corrupt Mayor tarred and feathered.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-30-2023 at 05:09 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #25186
Ksyrup

Ha! I love it.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:01 PM   #25187
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, if you thought politics in Chicago was wild, we also get the "governments" of random suburbs saying "hold my beer" a lot.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:45 AM   #25188
Edward64
Head Coach

I hate companies that sends email on stuff they believe are personalized & relevant to me but are essentially spam.

And then they even don't have an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom. I get smaller companies but I've got one from a national airline that did not have this link.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #25189
Edward64
Head Coach

Now that I think about it ...

Because of how much of a nuisance these companies can be with their spam, I'd love it if the government also required these companies to have a "how am I doing, feedback etc." link with standardized & free form response for each marketing email; and the aggregated data is available to the public.

Not that these companies will necessarily do anything about it, but with enough bad press, the bigger ones will pay attention.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-31-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:18 AM   #25190
Ksyrup

The ones I get at my work email are the worst. They know how to get looks, so they have subjects like "Re: Tomorrow's Meeting" or "Follow-up Call" or some shit like that, and they aren't even phishing, they're just a spam email with a title that requires you to at least look at it to make sure it's not something important.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-31-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:22 AM   #25191
Edward64
Head Coach

My work email did a great job in filtering out that crap. Once in a while, something slips by but overall, it worked well.

I don't know what we can do to stop spam. But it doesn't seem there's any significant movement other than a "don't call/spam list" which definitely does not work well.

Maybe AI can help here.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:26 AM   #25192
Ksyrup

A lot of it does get filtered, but I'm still responsible for reviewing quarantined or junk email. And honestly, it's so much easier to just delete 25 emails at one time rather than go one by one and block each sender, so I guess I have no one to blame but myself.

Other types of spam include lots of continuing legal education credit emails, which I don't need or read 99% of the time, but once a year I am looking for particular credits to meet my requirements in the 3 states I'm licensed, so I can't just wholesale block those either.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-31-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:50 PM   #25193
GrantDawg

More annoying? Calls that go straight to voicemail that start "This is XXX calling you back. Sorry I missed you. Per our earlier conversation, we have approved you for business loan up to..."
Old 05-31-2023, 05:54 PM   #25194
Ksyrup

The video of the moron on the highway who came up on a crash scene and apparently didn't notice the wrecker, hitting the wrecker at top speed and flying through the air as if on a launchpad... is begging for someone to do the Waylon Jennings stop-frame voiceover from Dukes of Hazzard.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-31-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:14 PM   #25195
GrantDawg

Literally just saw that video, and my immediate reaction was "Just some good ol' boys....."

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2023, 06:20 PM   #25196
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, Waylon was absolutely the first thing I thought of seeing that clip on the news.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:23 PM   #25197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gd we’re all old men watching the news.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:48 PM   #25198
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, I've watched the news since I was 5.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:26 PM   #25199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Overnight (2am maybe?) we hear an unidentified noise of some sort. In the garage or outside the garage (which is next to us in the batcave).

Looked around, inside & outside, nothing obvious.

As the kid starts out to pick up some food I believe we've discovered the source of that noise: it was probably the garage door mainspring snapping

Door won't open beyond a foot, can't even budge it past that manually (which is weird to me)

The joys of home ownership. Whee.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:30 PM   #25200
GrantDawg

Ugh. Ours went out a couple of years ago. Was not cheap to fix. In our case the problem was the type. It required us to replace the whole door.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk