Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #201
HerRealName
College Prospect

I really like the new Afghan Whigs album. I put off listening to it for months because I had such low expectations but it's been a very pleasant surprise. Domino and Jimmy is my favorite song but The Getaway could be on any given day.

I also like the new Titus Andronicus record but no surprise there for me.

I don't think I've bought any other new albums this year, as sad as that is.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #202
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, Metallica dropped a bunch of surprise news today. A new song off a new album being released next April and a 2 year tour schedule. Haven't heard the song because I'm at work.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-28-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #203
Ksyrup

The annual Sleigher song came out yesterday!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-10-2023, 02:40 PM   #204
Ksyrup

Do we need a fresh Music thread, or should we change the title of this one to 2020s and keep it going until 2030?

Anyway, haven't posted any new music in some time and I've bought a ton of stuff, but one album has really stood out to me.

You know how some albums just hit every single musical, stylistic, mood/atmosphere, lyrical, and emotional point that you love about music? Well, the new album from German prog metal band Disillusion is that album for me. This is probably the most impactful album I've heard since Amigo the Devil's Everything is Fine back in 2019.

What makes it so great is that it's in the melo-death genre that I love, but it takes it to another level. This is probably the best progressive melodic death metal album I've heard since Opeth stopped being Opeth (and decided to be a 70s prog rock band). And the crazy thing is, it's not all that heavy. At all. Most of the songs are quiet with a few moments of crescendo - there are two 11-12 minute epics that go back and forth between heavy and light, and one crushingly heavy song, but the rest are chill. And even the heavy stuff isn't really the classic death metal sound you'd expect.

The music is sophisticated and complex, but not in the Dream Theater way - they don't go off noodling for no reason. The instrumentation on this album really sets it apart - a ton of orchestration with cello, trumpet, flugelhorn, keys, even triangle! It truly pushes the boundaries of prog rock/metal. There's are lyrical themes that bind the album together, but I wouldn't exactly call it a concept album. The songs are great, the melodic lines are catchy and memorable, and the heavy stuff gets the juices flowing. It's got it all...

There are definite nods to Opeth, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, and similar bands, but they have a unique sound, especially vocally. The clean vocals are terrific, but the harsh vocals are not your typical death growls but more harsh spoken word that fit the music perfectly. And the way they weave it all together is just stunning.

This is a band that's been around for nearly 30 years with one constant member, and they've only released 4 full albums. But nearly 3 decades in, they've managed to create a masterpiece that has mad a ton of top 10 lists for 2022 (it was released in November).

These two songs give you a good taste of the sound. The first is the shortest and heaviest song, and the next (which follows on the album as well) is a good representation of the acoustic/chill vibe.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #205
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
1) Have a San Disk Clip Sport Plus for my workouts, but am thinking about a budget Walkman A105 or HIFI Walker H2. I really don't need a Walkman, but it brings back fond memories

Sony has a couple new Walkman's coming out soon. The lower end is $375 so hoping it comes down for BF 2023.

Sony has a new Walkman. That might be a bigger deal than you realize | ZDNET

This is my rationale, nostalgia

Quote:
Even the oldest Millennials were a tad too young to enjoy the first versions of Sony's Walkman, while older Gen Zs feel nostalgic for iPod Shuffles and Nanos. And research suggests that although older adults embrace technology, they use it at a different frequency than younger people.

Of those who actually feel nostalgic for owning a Walkman again, how many are interested in buying a digitized version of a music player that they remember using a cassette tape to listen to?

But maybe that's not the only audience for devices like this. There's a surprising amount of Walkman nostalgia out there in modern movies and TV shows like Stranger Things and Guardians of the Galaxy to mention just a couple. The portrayal of the Walkman in film and TV showcases how euphoric and all-consuming it is to listen to your favorite song through a Walkman.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-12-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:08 PM   #206
Ksyrup

Old 01-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #207
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, the Guardians of the Galaxy "cassette" version is what I remember. I didn't pay attention to the Discman.

I don't own it but had a chance to handle the N105 mp3 and it was really small. Battery life for that isn't great though.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:37 AM   #208
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I had Walkman and Discman clones (Panasonic I believe). They were great, but I'm not sure I understand why I would want to carry a second device with me when my phone plays music just fine.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 02:29 PM   #209
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I had Walkman and Discman clones (Panasonic I believe). They were great, but I'm not sure I understand why I would want to carry a second device with me when my phone plays music just fine.

No real good reason other than nostalgia and/or wanting a really light player in the gym or running.

Also, I've always hated the iTunes (or whatever its called now) interface. I need to check out some mp3 apps that has a more intuitive interface.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:51 AM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the new album from Hardy -- The Mockingbird & The Crow -- is kinda what you might suspect.

It's well written, with a mixture of rock fueled tunes that openly mock today's modern country ... and about half of album that's basically the stuff he often mocks.

The previously released title track explored the duality of his career and his talents, this album basically illustrates what he's talking about all in one place.

If you're familiar with who he is and what he does, specifically _how_ he does what he does, this should be pretty satisfying. If you're an absolute casual that only knows 1 or 2 songs from either of the genres he dabbles in, you're probably going to be kinda confused.

The title track, btw, got a brand new claymation video treatment to mark the album release.

https://youtu.be/vr6JPLNMnyI
Old 01-20-2023, 07:56 AM   #211
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I was playing a random 90s alternative playlist and Smash Mouth's "All Star" came on.

I think we can all agree this is an objectively shitty song. But I could literally sing every word.

It got me wondering, what is the worst song you can think of where you know every word. I couldn't think of a worse song for me, but I'm sure there are. The closest analog I could come up with is Halo by Sugar Ray, but theyre basically the exact same thing.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #212
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
It got me wondering, what is the worst song you can think of where you know every word. I couldn't think of a worse song for me, but I'm sure there are. The closest analog I could come up with is Halo by Sugar Ray, but theyre basically the exact same thing.

All of Foreigner 4
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:40 PM   #213
Ksyrup

So...1 current pop star, 2 early-mid 70s albums, an early 80s album, and .. OBITUARY

Old 01-23-2023, 11:05 PM   #214
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That list hurts my brain
Old 02-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

When We Were Young – October 21, 2023 – Las Vegas Festival Grounds

Wife was able to get 4 VIP tickets through work for us and another couple. 4 days in Vegas highlighted by this show, Stadium Swim at circa for NFL football the next day, good dinners, some table games, maybe a massage or show. So freaking excited. I get my room comped and we use miles so it will cost next to nothing.

So many bands I'm excited about

Green Day
Blink 182
Bowling for soup
The Offspring
Rise against
Good Charlotte
Sum 141
Yellowcard
New Found Glory
Less Than Jake
The Ataris
A Simple Plan

It is going to be glorious.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:26 PM   #216
Ksyrup

My cousin, her husband, his dad and several of their friends went (or tried to go) to that last year. Wife and I just happened to be in Vegas (coming back from Zion) so we met up with them. Apparently you could only buy tickets to one of the two days, they got Saturday, and it just happened that the show got cancelled because of high winds. So the whole group of them flew from Detroit for the weekend and couldn't even go on Sunday because they had to choose one day and they picked wrong.

The winds were insane, too. 55-65. We flew out in it that night and it was really uncomfortable for about 2-3 hours of the flight back to Cincinnati. I guess the good news was that we got to hang out with them for most of the day.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:03 PM   #217
Ksyrup

Man, I was surprised and stoked to see that Amigo the Devil is opening for Clutch and will be in Cincinnati in April. I am THERE - and dragging my wife along. Can't wait!

Also, Ticketmaster can suck it. Two $35 tickets, total cost was $104 and change. Ridiculous.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Also, Ticketmaster can suck it. Two $35 tickets, total cost was $104 and change. Ridiculous.

Yeah, 50% markup is about the going rate it seems. Sad sorry state of affairs.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #219
Ksyrup

New singles today from Metallica and Extreme and suddenly it feels like 1990 again.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:19 PM   #220
Ksyrup

So much great music has already come out in 2023. Trying hard to keep up with it!

Just today, releases from Sermon, Ongoing Concept and City and Colour.

Sermon is one of those perfect genre blends for me - goth-y progressive metal in the vein of Katatonia/Tool, amazing production and mysterious/anonymous band members. This hits so hard.

Ongoing Concept - this one was a surprise. I really enjoyed one of this band's albums about 8 or so years ago but lost track of them. Definitely an acquired taste, like a mixture of a hardcore/screamo band with Jamiroquai. Based on this song, I think they've taken their original sound and greatly improved on it.

City and Colour - something a bit different for the non-metal crowd, although this guy (Dallas Green, no not the former Phillies manager) is from the Canadian hardcore band Alexisonfire. This album is mostly about his journey to accepting the death of a good friend right before Covid hit.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:18 PM   #221
Ksyrup

Also I forgot to mention...

Anyone ever heard of Ren? I ran across a video of his, and I'm not surprised I'd never heard of him because he's a rapper in addition to singer/songwriter/poet, but anyway, his video Hi Ren is absolutely astounding. It deals with mental illness. It's simply unbelievable.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM   #222
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also I forgot to mention...

Anyone ever heard of Ren? I ran across a video of his, and I'm not surprised I'd never heard of him because he's a rapper in addition to singer/songwriter/poet, but anyway, his video Hi Ren is absolutely astounding. It deals with mental illness. It's simply unbelievable.

I haven't heard something like that before, which I always appreciate.

I haven't been to a show in a few months, but went to see Weedeater on Wednesday night (Danny Glover: "I'm too old for this shit") & that was fun.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After his breakout appearance at this week's CMT Awards (3 trophies went home with him), I'm a little bit amused at trying to help my strictly-country friends understand Jelly Roll better.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:36 PM   #224
Ksyrup

Never heard that name in my life.

An old HS friend reached out to me out of the blue yesterday about King's X playing in Atlanta on July 16th, so we're gonna make a day of it - I'll fly in that morning, check out the old "hometown" (for HS anyway) that morning, go to the Braves/White Sox game that afternoon, and see KX that night.

I missed seeing KX in KY and TN last fall for shows that were rescheduled 4 or 5 times (and I had tickets for) because we were out of town. And considering the age and health status of all 3 guys, I am going to try to see them whenever I can.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:56 PM   #225
Ksyrup

Apparently Coachella is being streamed on YouTube. Which is cool, but it prompted me to check out the lineup. I went through it with my 19 year old daughter and she didn't know a whole heck of a lot of them, but she did know a fair amount. I knew... Blondie, the Breeders, and Gorillaz. And I have no idea why Blondie or the Breeders would be part of that shit sandwich of a festival.

I told my daughter if someone showed up at my doorstep and offered a private jet, $1000 a night hotel and a limo to Coachella for free, I'd decline before they finished with the offer.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:58 PM   #226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Apparently Coachella is being streamed on YouTube. Which is cool, but it prompted me to check out the lineup. I went through it with my 19 year old daughter and she didn't know a whole heck of a lot of them, but she did know a fair amount. I knew... Blondie, the Breeders, and Gorillaz. And I have no idea why Blondie or the Breeders would be part of that shit sandwich of a festival.

I told my daughter if someone showed up at my doorstep and offered a private jet, $1000 a night hotel and a limo to Coachella for free, I'd decline before they finished with the offer.

Yeah, that's pretty much "just kill me here instead" caliber shitshow.

I'd probably survive most of a Yungbld set, might make it through Blondie, otherwise there's something like 120 acts and 118 I'd sooner be beaten to death than forced to endure
Old 04-28-2023, 09:33 AM   #227
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a big music guy and certainly don't have a special ear for it. But I listened to this video on Ed Sheeran vs Marvin Gaye copyright suit. I don't see it, it looks like a reach (aka money grab) to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-65420696
Quote:
Ed Sheeran is on trial in New York for copyright infringement. The British singer-songwriter denies that his song 'Thinking Out Loud' copied Marvin Gaye's song 'Let's Get it On'.

The BBC's Mark Savage breaks down the differences between both hit tracks.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:31 AM   #228
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

10 Days until we go see The Interrupters and Frank Turner at The Stone Pony. Taking our 10 year old daughter. A friend knows the GM so we will be on a riser right next to the stage. Ridiculously excited for this show. Awesome double billing

Old 05-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #229
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Last edited by Lathum : 05-03-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #230
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm not a big music guy and certainly don't have a special ear for it. But I listened to this video on Ed Sheeran vs Marvin Gaye copyright suit. I don't see it, it looks like a reach (aka money grab) to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-65420696

Yeah, that's what I said. Congrats on the win Ed.

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-ne...yright-verdict
Quote:
A Manhattan jury found Ed Sheeran's hit "Thinking Out Loud" did not infringe on the copyright of the classic Marvin Gaye song "Let's Get It On."

The jury determined that Sheeran had independently created his song and did not wrongfully copy compositional elements or melodies from Gaye's song.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-04-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #231
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'd been saying I heard another song in it since it came out, but I couldn't quite place it until I heard about the suit. Definitely hear Let's Get It On in the song.

I also hear another song in the Miley Cyrus Flowers song... and it's not the Bruno Mars song that she borrows the lyrics from. Also can't place it.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:12 AM   #232
Ksyrup

I LOLd this morning when I saw that Ben Crump was representing (in some fashion) whoever was suing Ed Sheeran. I'm used to seeing him any time there's a white-on-black police brutality case, but I didn't realize he had branched out into alleged music appropriation.

Still blows my mind that I shared law school classes with him and Shannon Bream, plus a nutcase who tried to hired a hitman to kill a law school secretary (and her own husband).
Old 05-23-2023, 05:58 AM   #233
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
New singles today from Metallica and Extreme and suddenly it feels like 1990 again.

Stay tuned, I'm sure Metallica will come out with a Ukrainian metal song sometime!

Quote:
James Hetfield, leader of @Metallica, visits Ukrainian Warriors in a US hospital where they are receiving treatment through Limbs for Liberty organization.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:47 PM   #234
Ksyrup

Anyone ever been rickrolled by Alice In Chains?

Old 05-30-2023, 12:13 PM   #235
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Because I'm bored:

What 3 singers are the only singers with multiple Billboard Year-End #1 songs?

There are 2 groups whose children had a Year-End #1, what are all the acts in this question?

This group never had a Billboard Year-End #1, but their sibling did?

{I make no guarantee these are 100% correct}
Old 06-02-2023, 01:14 AM   #236
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Spinal Tap Mark II - Jazz Odyssey

That's the closest I can come to a single phrase to describe whatever the fuck Avenged Sevenfold just released.

This is not only Metallica/Lou Reed level of bad, it's Scorpions Eye II Eye bad ... but with worse vocals and less coherent thought
Old 06-02-2023, 07:19 PM   #237
Ksyrup

I enjoyed A7X for about a millisecond - I thought City of Evil was pretty good. Nothing they did before really caught my attention, and the album after City of Evil convinced me to just ignore them from that point forward. For that one album, they briefly caught lightning in a bottle with an interesting melding of modern metal with an 80s influence, but that was about it for me.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-02-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:22 PM   #238
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 06-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #239
Ksyrup

I'd definitely rather listen to this than the new A7X:

Old 06-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #240
PilotMan
Head Coach

Grouplove is so underrated. Live they are even better.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote