Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The Thread For Providing IT Support To Our Parents/In-Laws

I'll hazard a guess that I'm not the only one around these parts routinely tasked with this. I'd imagine there are some humorous stories out there, some head-bang-against-the-table moments, and--as is the case with me today--some help needed when they ask questions that are beyond our areas of expertise.

So...my question for today, since we are a completely iPhone family and my mother-in-law is texting me about how to do stuff on Android: what's the easiest way to do continual backups on Androids? Keep in mind that this is for 70somethings, so I want the least complicated, set-it-up-once-and-never-touch-it-again option. Thanks in advance.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'll contribute some minor humor. Earlier this week m-i-l, who has checked Facebook just about daily at least four years, texted and asked "how do I thank everyone with one group email for their birthday messages?"After a bit of back-and-forth to get to exactly what she wanted to do, I realized that despite commenting on photos frequently, she didn't have the first clue how to simply post a status update.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Set them up with a google account and have them logged into that. Go to settings > device > backup and reset. Check the Back up my data box.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I've got a funny one for ya along these lines though to tell the story fully I'll have to embarrass myself.

Granpa calls me about a year ago and says "Can you tell me how to watch TV on this phone? I got my new phone this week and they told me I could watch directv on it."

No, No...no. This is bad. This will NOT END WELL. I already have to visit usually 1x/week (usually between 1 and 3 am) to fix their TV when he gets it off the primary input and cant get it back. We dont need sling TV apps.

He explains the young man at the store had convinced him to buy a new phone specifically so he could watch his "sangin'" on his phone with the dish anywhere.

Oy...he has directv not dish. This is going to take a while to explain. I'll ride the 20 minutes over there.

I get there and he shows me his new Samsung phone. Its a "gusto" flip phone. Now I have to pause here and explain that my grandparents use the local Verizon store which is an "authorized retailer" not a factory store.

When I see what phone he has I explain that this phone cant watch Dish and even if he got the one that did he had directv and not dish network. I explain and he remembers the "square phone" with the glass screen that he decided against because it was too fragile. Ok we are making progress.

"But why the hell did I pay $600 for this phone if I cant watch TV on it."

Granpa you didnt pay $600, that is what the ther phone, probably an iphone would have cost.

"I'll be John Brown if I didnt. I gave the man 6 Franklins and 2 twentys."

Do you have a receipt. (Surely this has to be some prepaid service confuson or somnthing)

Yeah, right here.

Studies receipt. Sure Enough $599 for a Samsung Gusto. Let's ride to town granpa.

So we get there and I ask for Ryan, the name on the receipt. I am encouraged to see his "store manager" name badge when he walks up, but less encouraged by his work attire. I should not see his boxers, definitely not in a professional setting, and the meth has done a number on his teeth as well. An enterprising young man of maybe 24.

Our conversation doesnt go well while he explains the old man should have known what he was buying and gets worse when he says he cant refund the money because he'd already bought himself a new iphone and he didnt have the commission to refund. After a few more minutes of back and forth that flip phone flew towards the store manager at a high rate of speed and bst a glass divider. Cops we called. Store manager ended up being arrested for possession of drugs and I ended up with a ticket and a damages bill.... Not one of my finer moments...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

My Mom called me up to tell me the cable box from Comcast wasn't working right. A show she wanted to watch on a channel was not coming on when she went to the channel (the way she describes it is the channel is no longer there). Instead it was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I had to inform her the guide is sometimes wrong since it's likely plugged in a week or so before a show comes on and they likely decided to play some Gene Wilder tribute on that channel instead.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I've got a funny one for ya along these lines though to tell the story fully I'll have to embarrass myself.

OK, this was a great story.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
digamma
Torchbearer

My parents are touring Ireland and Scotland right now. My sister is tracking them with the Find Your Friends app. Currently one is showing in Belfast and one in Edinburgh. I'm going to choose not to believe that this is just simply a wifi ping issue and that there could be more to this story worthy of inclusion in this thread. Stay tuned.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
My parents are touring Ireland and Scotland right now. My sister is tracking them with the Find Your Friends app. Currently one is showing in Belfast and one in Edinburgh. I'm going to choose not to believe that this is just simply a wifi ping issue and that there could be more to this story worthy of inclusion in this thread. Stay tuned.

Minor humorous background addition...I set them up with a friend in Dublin to meet for a meal. Included my mom and friend on a group text. My mom's response was "Please just text me at [phone number]."

Or, you know, reply to this text.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I love that commercial where the grandkids go to see their grandparents, and the grandparents don't even give the kids hugs, just hand them all of their electronics.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Dola, I don't remember any specific story because my mom has been gone for a few years, but I remember I would often get a call or a text from her to get something working again. And she usually found ways to mess something up that was more complicated than I could figure out quickly.

My mom was a very happy, smily type, always laughing. Then she would have a tech issue and you would see that rare Irish temper come out "this phone is so @##$%@ frustrating!!!". It was hard for me not to laugh.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"Your dad lost all his safari bookmarks"-

I head over and i actually can't figure out what the problem is, but i eventually figure out that it's logged in as "guest".
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

I'm not entirely sure why this made me LOL ... but it did