Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #851
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'll jump back into my Devils career in a couple of hours. I can't wait!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #852
Karim
College Starter

Is there a screen that shows past drafts by round for all teams?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:13 PM   #853
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Go to the one of the draft screens and use the arrow keys in the top right. You can go back quite a ways.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #854
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Is there a screen that shows past drafts by round for all teams?

If you want to see it one team at a time, go to the team screen and then Transactions - View - NHL Entry Draft. You can go back through the years and it'll list every draft pick for that team, by year, that's still around in the database as a player or staff member (so it'll go back into the early 60's for some of the Original 6 teams whose old draftees are a scout or coach somewhere.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #855
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Go to the one of the draft screens and use the arrow keys in the top right. You can go back quite a ways.
This is for individual teams, correct? I've looked at those but is there anything like:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1997e.html

I thought Riz mentioned that there was a draft 'recap' without the NHL totals. I'd like to see how my first rounder is doing against other first rounders or to see which guy I should have taken with my pick.

Last edited by Karim : 07-22-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #856
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This is for individual teams, correct? I've looked at those but is there anything like:

The screen looks a lot like that, though I don't think (I could be wrong) that it gives you NHL totals for points and such. It does give you a list of all players drafted (in the order they were drafted and who drafted them), but I am not sure what additional information the list provides.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #857
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I thought Riz mentioned that there was a draft 'recap' without the NHL totals. I'd like to see how my first rounder is doing against other first rounders or to see which guy I should have taken with my pick.

There are two different versions within the game. You can see your team's selections on a year-by-year basis.

You can also see the overall draft on a year-by-year basis, with all the teams. Best way to see that screen is to go to one of your player's information tabs, click on the section where it shows the draft year he was picked in. It will show that entire draft year, which can be sorted in many different ways (by name, by overall selection).

Unfortunately, it doesn't include career NHL stats on that screen (maybe something Riz can add in the future...shouldn't be that hard to do)
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #858
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Does the new patch overwrite the "unfake" package?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #859
Simms
FOBL Commish

Yes, but the most recent unfake download had a ton of problems anyway (mostly with affiliations and the like). They're saying they'll be releasing an update shortly.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #860
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Alright, I downloaded this to give it a try and I have two questions (well, really a multitude of questions that can probably be solved with answers to both of these questions).

1) Is there a walk-through that might steer me on what I should be doing (like Marc's excellent quide to FM)?

2) If I buy the online version, is SI going to release the NA patch for it?
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #861
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

dola: Maybe as a third, what utlities/downloads should I look for?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 AM   #862
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Alright, I downloaded this to give it a try and I have two questions (well, really a multitude of questions that can probably be solved with answers to both of these questions).

1) Is there a walk-through that might steer me on what I should be doing (like Marc's excellent quide to FM)?

2) If I buy the online version, is SI going to release the NA patch for it?

1) No, but there are several sites that have good info on them that are linked earlier in this thread.

2) Yes
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #863
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
1) No, but there are several sites that have good info on them that are linked earlier in this thread.

2) Yes

Where exactly in this thread (it is only 18 pages long )?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #864
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I've never really looked through this thing, but maybe it'll help.

http://ehm.sortitoutsi.net/index.php...le&fileid=4287
Old 07-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #865
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #866
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Does the new patch overwrite the "unfake" package?

yes if you start a new game.

but no for saved dynasty you have
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #867
Logan
Head Coach

Where can utilities and add-ons be found? Long thread...thanks
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #868
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
yes if you start a new game.

but no for saved dynasty you have

What if you put the unfaking on top of the patch? Then what?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #869
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Where can utilities and add-ons be found? Long thread...thanks

For EHM 2005, try:

http://ehm.sortitoutsi.net/index.php...l&game=ehm2005
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #870
rexallllsc
Banned

BTW, for those who were continually getting the crap kicked out of you despite having a good roster (like me), has this patch helped AT ALL?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #871
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
What if you put the unfaking on top of the patch? Then what?

with new patch i recommend starting over. so you can see the full affect of it. Its pretty solid so far.

i would wait for unfake new version before you apply that over EHM latest version
Old 07-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #872
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, so I've had the game for like 2 hours and already seeing crashes.

How does one return the digital download version for a refund?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #873
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL

Why would you even pay before playing the try and buy?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #874
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

Refund information here.

But multiple crashes in the first two hours of using the game is very odd. Is it version 2.0.2? (I assume the download was update with the new version, but I'm not sure.) When are the crashes happening?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #875
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
When are the crashes happening?

Doesn't sound like he's interested in helping.

Edit: I bet you're using the unfaking DB.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 07-22-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #876
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW, for those who were continually getting the crap kicked out of you despite having a good roster (like me), has this patch helped AT ALL?

i second this question!! anyone?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #877
condors
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i second this question!! anyone?

there are a few things i did that helped me

1-get rid of players over 30. Older players may look great but don't get the results any longer. If a guy is on the top 2 lines and isn't getting 20 goals then its time to look for another option. Alot of guys can be dealt for a 2nd round pick(and 2nd round picks usually are solid guys).

2-get as many two way players as possible i normally do a search for at least a 14 on acceraltion speed checking hitting pokechecking these are your penalty killers and 3rd and 4th lines, don't be afraid to match lines either.

3-don't use the same players for penalty killing and powerplay.

4-if your not i recommand rotating your training schedule so players work on everything at some point in the year.

If you look at my Flyers dynasty i have a bunch of good, very good reputation players and went to the cup finals. Only Gagne and Pitakanen are superb players on my team.(when i do a trade they are usally the only 5 star guys i have a few 3 star guys that play well for me game in and game out).

If you have any specfic questions just let me know and i will help as much as i can.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #878
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Big help, Sov. Thanks. So Condors, are you saying not to be tempted by the older FA available at the begining of the season? I'm trying this with the Thrashers, and have so few players that I always make runs at the older stars that are available early. Should I not? Who should I look for early?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #879
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think the key is defence and the goaltender. In the two dynasties I have played, I never really had a stacked lineup, but some fairly solid players up front. I didn't start winning on a regular basis until I got 5-6 solid d-men however.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #880
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the key also is never let your Head coach handle practice.

because they dont handle everythig on the practice screen.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #881
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The walkthrough said he always lets the coach handle pratice, but he sets the coaching assignments because the head coach doesn't usually do that. Is that true?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #882
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

It would save you a bunch of time if you just made those two lines your signature.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #883
rexallllsc
Banned

I'll start again tonight. So what's the practice thing about the 3 duties per coach? Explain it to me like I'm really dumb. Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #884
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
I'll start again tonight. So what's the practice thing about the 3 duties per coach? Explain it to me like I'm really dumb. Thanks

On the practice screen, it's the number of categories you've got assigned to each coach in the bottom-left corner - e.g., the first guy might have Conditioning, Tactics, Offensive Skills, and Defensive Skills assigned to him (I actually use 4 instead of 3). By default, each coach is set to work on all of them, but the theory is that stretches out them out too much and won't get optimal results (and from what I've seen of the way practice time management works in the game, it's a good theory.) Reducing their workload a bit, especially when it's focused on the things they coach best, should help players improve faster.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #885
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
1-get rid of players over 30. Older players may look great but don't get the results any longer. If a guy is on the top 2 lines and isn't getting 20 goals then its time to look for another option. Alot of guys can be dealt for a 2nd round pick(and 2nd round picks usually are solid guys).

You can be a little more selective about the over-30 guys. If he still has a good stamina rating, he's probably worth keeping. And even with guys whose stamina and physical ratings have started to slide can be good to have around for their leadership value (assuming their influence and hidden mental ratings are solid), if you manage their icetime properly.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #886
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
On the practice screen, it's the number of categories you've got assigned to each coach in the bottom-left corner - e.g., the first guy might have Conditioning, Tactics, Offensive Skills, and Defensive Skills assigned to him (I actually use 4 instead of 3). By default, each coach is set to work on all of them, but the theory is that stretches out them out too much and won't get optimal results (and from what I've seen of the way practice time management works in the game, it's a good theory.) Reducing their workload a bit, especially when it's focused on the things they coach best, should help players improve faster.

why on default it spread out to all? i think it should be set to 3 or 4 on default

i wish if you assign head coach to practice they handle all of the practice screen. as of now they dont.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #887
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
The walkthrough said he always lets the coach handle pratice, but he sets the coaching assignments because the head coach doesn't usually do that. Is that true?

yes

and also coach dont handle the % for powerplay, powerkill, general on the practice screen.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-23-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #888
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
there are a few things i did that helped me

This is what we call the "Logan's Run" management system.

I have had quite a few 30+ year old guys play pivitol roles for the Caps, uncluding Skau Koivu, Jeff O'Neil, and Derek Morris. Koivu was a 3rd/4th line center and first unit PK. O'Neill was a first/second line center and had power-play time. Morris did everything at the ripe old age of 33. These guys are all extraordinary players, so it may be different for "regular" guys. I wouldn't know. Most of my guys in my Caps dynasty (4 straight Stanley Cups!) are still under 30. Also, I am not sure the 30+ rule would apply to goalies either.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #889
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Honolulu_Blue

how does 5 stanley cup in row look for you.

that amazing, you make the game seem easy you have a nice group of young players.

cant wait to see how you do with the salary cap? probably more challenging
Old 07-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #890
condors
College Starter

Quote:
Big help, Sov. Thanks. So Condors, are you saying not to be tempted by the older FA available at the begining of the season? I'm trying this with the Thrashers, and have so few players that I always make runs at the older stars that are available early. Should I not? Who should I look for early?

I stay away from the over 30 crowd but Kariya, Allison, Demitra, Deadmarsh, Holden, and Green can bolster your forwards Evgeny Korolv, Mcallister, andy delmore, daron quint can help you in the defense and Jean Sebstion Aubin is a solid keeper. Don't be afraid to sign guys and trade them next season. Also keep a look in the wavier draft for guys that can help you out(personal favorite tactic of mine). Also i have signed Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre who can play right wing or right defense and Maxim Kuznetso (sp) Korolv can be very good and is only 26 years old.

Also i don't like giving away draft picks in the first 3 rounds(unless i know the guy is young and ready to step right in). The 2005 draft you can pick up alot of guys who can contribute the talent pool seems pretty deep don't ignore some of the older players(although i don't draft guys over 26).

I play the Flyers and usually my third line before dealing would be Brashear, Primeau and Kappanen and turn on line matching accourding to the team report Primeau and Kappanen are my best center and right winger but they are also my best defensive forwards. I bascially set my third line first and then fill in the rest. (i also would try to move all 3 of the guys i mentioned for younger versions)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #891
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Honolulu_Blue

how does 5 stanley cup in row look for you.

that amazing, you make the game seem easy you have a nice group of young players.

cant wait to see how you do with the salary cap? probably more challenging

Just started the Quest For Five. I would have to say the Caps are still the favorites to win it. I finally had to give up one of my "core" guys which hurt. Zetterberg was headed to UFA land at the end of the season, so I shipped him to LA for 2 2nd rounders. I siged UFA Jon Cheechoo and at a reduced price because he was just coming off a long injury. So far, so good. I still have most of my "core" guys: Ovechkin, Weiss, Norton, Kessell, Jack Johnson, Phanuef, Eminger, and Lundqvist in goal. Pospisil is becoming a key cog and Sota and Blunden are coming into their own. We're #2 in the East after a month or two of play.

Can't really explain the success I've had. I don't tinker much with tactics. The team sort of runs itself. I just keep a look out for the best coaches and scouts and always try to have a good core of younger guys. I think Lundqvist was a huge, huge part of things. He's amazing. I don't feel confident with anyone else in goal.

As for the cap, I think it will make it much harder. Harder to build a team and much, much harder to trade (due to cap implications for both sides). I will likely restart (which I imagine you have to) once the Super Patch comes out. I'll take the Wings as it was always meant to be.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #892
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
You can also see the overall draft on a year-by-year basis, with all the teams. Best way to see that screen is to go to one of your player's information tabs, click on the section where it shows the draft year he was picked in. It will show that entire draft year, which can be sorted in many different ways (by name, by overall selection).

Unfortunately, it doesn't include career NHL stats on that screen (maybe something Riz can add in the future...shouldn't be that hard to do)

They are there! In the drop-down menu in the upper left, you can look at NHL career totals for the entire draft class.

Awesome feature, just a little obscure.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #893
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They are there! In the drop-down menu in the upper left, you can look at NHL career totals for the entire draft class.

Awesome feature, just a little obscure.

Hell, I work on the game and I didn't know that! Sweet!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #894
Simms
FOBL Commish

The new, post-2.02 unfaking patch is out:

Quote:
the new version is out!
http://www.manager4life.com/m4l/dloa...le&file_id=365

Changelist

Unfakes:
- All minor leagues in north america, both teams and players
- All russian and finnish leagues
- All NHL prospects faked in the original db (eg college or swiss players)
- Top NCAA players
- Top european players from the "faked" nations
and:
- Improves the realism in the minor leagues such echl and/or uhl with a bit of new teams or new divisions alignement
- Contains some good fixes in the db, like tons of wrong handedness and training rating for NHL/AHL teams
- Revamps Austria and Slovenian leagues thanks to some Uros' work in tuning player ratings

They scaled back the AHL/ECHL affiliation changes in this one, so no more Marlies. But I figure that and others will be included with the game/data update for the NA release. I figure I can wait until then.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:33 PM   #895
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Riz

Is start date to be before buyouts and draft or the start date to be after all the rosters are sorted when the NA patch comes out?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #896
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
The new, post-2.02 unfaking patch is out:

They scaled back the AHL/ECHL affiliation changes in this one, so no more Marlies. But I figure that and others will be included with the game/data update for the NA release. I figure I can wait until then.

Sweet! I wonder what part of the game the new unfaking version will fuck up now!!
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #897
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Riz

Is start date to be before buyouts and draft or the start date to be after all the rosters are sorted when the NA patch comes out?

The N.A. patch will include all transactions (buyouts, Entry Draft, free agent signings, etc) up until the end of August or thereabouts.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #898
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Riz

After.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #899
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm still in my second season with the Devils (I had put the game on hold until the 2.0.2 patch, so I'm just getting back into it). I'm about 3/4 of the way through the season, and I have decided to look at the stats of all the guys I drafted this year. I realize that none of my guys are playing in the NHL, but I am amazed that the best stats have come from my 9th round draft pick. Center Jason Walters, the 253rd player selected in the 2005 draft, has put up 82 points in 63 games for the London Knights. The Knights are dominating the OHL, and he's only third on his team in points, but he's still having a great season. He'll definitely come to camp with my Devils next season, and I think he'll be a great player for me in 2007 after spending a year in Albany.

Unfortunately, my second-round pick, goalie Aleksandr Tryanichev, is having very little success over in Russia. He's playing backup to Anaheim's second-round pick (the Ducks picked 9 spots before I did), and his team is just terrible. His GAA is 2.70 and his save percentage is 0.911. Compared to the rest of the Russian Elite League, those numbers stink. His record is only 3-7. Since I know that Martin Brodeur isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I don't need to rush this kid, but he's not getting any playing time right now. I have a feeling that Tryanichev will never find his way into a Devils uniform, even though I've only held his rights for a few months. I feel bad for him.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #900
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Lamest. Question. Ever, but how do you pronounce ' Barrie '? As in Barrie Colts of the OHL. Is it Bar-ree or Bear-ree?