Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #451
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Vol Network tonight announced the passing of legendary broadcaster John Ward.

Sigh.

Rest in peace.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #452
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.9e5c210dc1e0
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #454
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sources -- Kawhi requests Magic-Buss meeting

Ok, props on the headline.

(I don't follow the NBA really, so maybe it's been done before but it got my attention.)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #455
JPhillips
General Manager

ESPN is reporting that Teddy Bruschi had a stroke.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #456
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After 5,060 consecutive games, 81 year John Sterling took yesterday off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/s...g-yankees.html
Old 07-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #457
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sportswriter Jonah Keri granted bail following assault charges | CTV News Montreal
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #458
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Don Banks Passes Away
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #459
miami_fan
Coordinator

It was a Monday tradition for me to read his column along with Peter King's during my Monday lunch hour.

RIP
Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #460
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The best tribute I think I can have for him is that for as much as he published, I know nothing about him personally.

In a time when the story is almost as much about the reporter as the reported (see, e.g., the fact that we even have a sports media thread here), he was a nice throwback to just giving us the story without a six-paragraph lead-in about what it was like for him growing up as a Dolphins fan or whatever.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #461
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Crazy story from New Orleans.

WWL Radio personality Seth Dunlap is openly gay. The WWL official media account tweeted out a gay slur at him. The thought at the time was that someone who worked for the station meant to send it from a burner account but accidently sent it from the WWL account.

Well, some investigation later, and WWL has turned the case over to the police, claiming that Dunlap sent the tweet himself in order to extort the station.

WWL Radio claims Seth Dunlap sent homophobic tweet, then demanded $1.8M, NOPD report says | Crime/Police | nola.com
Old 09-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #462
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and Dunlap has already passed a polygraph saying he had nothing to do with it.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #463
Atocep
Coordinator

John Hollinger leaves the Grizzlies front office to go back to writing and joins the Athletic. I subscribed a month ago and I think it's easily been worth it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #464
spleen1015
Coordinator

The Athletic is awesome. They've started video content that is awesome too. The latest with Shaq is good shit.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #465
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I got a subscription to the Athletic at the start of the NHL playoffs last spring. Almost all I read is Jets articles and I still consider it 100% worth the price. Phenomenal content.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #466
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love The Athletic. Easily my go-to site/app for sports info.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #467
molson
General Manager

I also love the Athletic, but worry about it's business model. I hope subscription-based online content can work in both news and sports though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #468
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

They're OK I guess.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #469
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
They're OK I guess.

I love me some Down Goes Brown. That guy is prolific!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #470
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love me some Down Goes Brown. That guy is prolific!

same same
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #471
QuikSand
lolzcat

I guess this is the right thread to post about the downfall of Deadspin.

httpx://drewmagary.kinja.com/this-is-how-it-s-gonna-work-1839505029

"Stick to Sports"
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #472
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having now looked up the basis for the kerfluffle, I tend to think "good riddance".

The number of times in my life I've wanted non-sports intruding on sports coverage I can count on one hand. (The World Series earthquake comes to mind, and I think maybe there was some sporting event on when Bin-Laden was killed ... aside from that, umm )
Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #473
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's Deadspin. No one read it just "for sports". It was always read for what the writers found interesting, amusing around sports as well as sports related reporting.

Trying to make it into The Sporting News is just idiotic.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #474
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's Deadspin. No one read it just "for sports".

I've never once intentionally looked at it for anything that wasn't sports related*.

I'd be considerably happier if ESPN issued a similar edict and anyone who wanted to do something else would follow suit.

If writers want to be working at Vice or Vox or Mother Jones or whatever then by all means, I think they ought to go do that.

*(phrased that way because I can't absolutely swear at some point I haven't looked at something non-sports there via a tweet or fofc linkage or whatever)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #475
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't understand the economics of it. There are already a ton of places like Bleacher Report, but Deadspin was a little unique. Unless the people who left are lying about traffic and revenue, I just don't see how making it less unique will lead to greater profits.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #476
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If writers want to be working at Vice or Vox or Mother Jones or whatever then by all means, I think they ought to go do that.

They were. It was called Deadspin.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They were. It was called Deadspin.

"Sports News Without Access, Favor, or Discretion"

That's their own site header.

If it says wrestling on the marquee, I expect wrestling.
If it says sports news on the marquee ...
Old 11-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #478
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And talking about how culture and politics insect with sports sounds EXACTLY like "Sports News Without Access, Favor, or Discretion".

Esp the without discretion part. You can be all "by the book" about sports if you don't have access or favor, but without discretion means something else.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-01-2019 at 03:04 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #479
molson
General Manager

No more articles about whether the Pope masturbates?
Old 11-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #480
Butter
Coordinator

Their new CEO is a right wing snowflake is how I took all this news. It's a shame
Old 11-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #481
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And talking about how culture and politics insect with sports sounds EXACTLY like "Sports News Without Access, Favor, or Discretion".

Esp the without discretion part. You can be all "by the book" about sports if you don't have access or favor, but without discretion means something else.

All that horseshit has nothing to do with "sports".

It may have to do with the various nutjobs playing sports but, honestly, the games existed before the current crop of misguided, misbegotten oxygen thieves that overpopulate the coverage in many places today.

I'm not just "shut up and dribble", I'm decidedly more "please shut the FUCK up and dribble."
Old 11-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #482
JPhillips
General Manager

Deadspin was always sports and... That’s been their brand and readers went there because of it. Seems unlikely to me that they will be as successful as just another sports site indistinguishable from all the others.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #483
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah stories about the people who play sports or what happens in the stands during games are stories about sports. Sorry, but it just is.

If you want stories about sports are platonic events without talking about the players lives, may I suggest historical documentaries about sporting events... But even those discuss what was going on to those players and the societies in which they lived.

Maybe you should just stop watching sports.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #484
cuervo72
Head Coach

Jon - the site wasn't for you. But that's ok, that's how the internet works - you don't like a site, don't go to it. Find something you do like instead. Plenty of people liked Deadspin, and liked that it covered topics (big sports, wrestling, boxing, cereal, celebrity, sex, music, brain trauma, parenting, whatever) that other outlets wouldn't touch. And they did so without being afraid to get feedback from -- and interact with -- their readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Their new CEO is a right wing snowflake is how I took all this news. It's a shame

But yes, this. This is a case of someone buying something they didn't like, and rather than leaving well enough alone they insisted on changing what it was (or flat out killing it).
Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 PM   #485
PilotMan
Head Coach

I loved Deadspin. I've been reading it for the better part of 10 years at least. I have a feeling that it's spiritual successor will show up somewhere else before too long. Kinja still has some quality blogs, but the demise of Deadspin leaves a substantial hole in the product.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #486
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I loved Deadspin. I've been reading it for the better part of 10 years at least. I have a feeling that it's spiritual successor will show up somewhere else before too long. Kinja still has some quality blogs, but the demise of Deadspin leaves a substantial hole in the product.

Agreed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #487
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...237072729.html
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe you should just stop watching sports.

Or maybe the uber-left agendas should be left out of sports by anything that pretends to be sports media. And that's 99%+ of the worthless drivel that's generated when sports coverage tries to get into anything else.

All I'm left with is an increased number of CEI's to wish for.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #489
Subby
lolzcat

There's a twitter feed (@undeadspin) that is aggregating the feeds of everyone who left.

Stick to sporks.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #490
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...bout-his-role/

Quote:
Fox Sports announced Thursday that it parted ways with Cris Carter, co-host of the “First Things First” morning show on Fox Sports 1.

I just started watching (not listening to) this show at the gym.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #491
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Well, Drew Magary showed up on Vice two days ago. Knew it wouldn't take long.

{edit: May not be a perm gig, he also shows up on a new site from Medium too.}

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-07-2019 at 09:36 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #492
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or the college football thread.

CBS exits SEC football negotiations, ESPN/ABC likely to take over after 2023
Old 12-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #493
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow that's massive!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #494
spleen1015
Coordinator

From the Athletic:
Starting in December and ending on Opening Day, we at The Athletic will count down the 100 greatest baseball players by publishing an essay on a player every day for 100 days. In all, this project will contain roughly as many words as “Moby Dick.” Yes, we know it’s nutty. We hope you enjoy.

Starting reading them today. Pretty good stuff.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #495
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
From the Athletic:
Starting in December and ending on Opening Day, we at The Athletic will count down the 100 greatest baseball players by publishing an essay on a player every day for 100 days. In all, this project will contain roughly as many words as “Moby Dick.” Yes, we know it’s nutty. We hope you enjoy.

Starting reading them today. Pretty good stuff.

This series and the McGinn Files articles on NFL players scouting profiles before the draft have been among my favorites on The Athletic.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #496
Atocep
Coordinator

The Gammons article on Jeter and Larry Walker getting into the HoF is the first bad article I've read on The Athletic.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #497
bhlloy
Coordinator

I love the Athletic as much as ever, but I wish they would stop trying to push video and podcasts on me. Makes me worried they will be the latest decent sports website to move to a medium I just don’t want my articles in.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #498
spleen1015
Coordinator

How are they pushing that on you? I see the content off to the side, but I can still get to everything I want without any interference.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #499
Subby
lolzcat

Keith Law writing for The Athletic now - that's a big get for them. That paired with their reporting on the Astros cheating scandal have made the site a must-have subscription.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #500
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not sure how many listen to the Dan Lebatard show but I’m at the bar at the Clevelander where they broadcast from and just met Billy Gil. Really nice guy. Took a few minutes of his time to chat with me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote