Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #151
Kodos
Resident Alien

Your job probably doesn’t involve some of the best athletes in the country trying to ram into you with great force repeatedly.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-27-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #152
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Your job probably doesn’t involve some of the best athletes in the country trying to ram into you with great force repeatedly.

I take a step back and think about how weird it is sometimes.

Can you think about what would happen if a 250 pound very athletic man picked you up and threw you into the ground as hard as he could?

That would be a defining moment of your life. You'd think about it daily. You'd tell stories about it.

For an NFL quarterback, it happens often enough to be considered common.

What a strange, strange job.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #153
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
I imagine most people are angry because they get paid 40k a year and have to suck it up and return to work injury after injury for 40k a year. Pay me $1 million a year and I can live through injury-rehab-injury-rehab pretty freaking easily.

Because accountants are constantly getting concussions, separated shoulders and broken femurs.

Pretty big difference between these and carpal tunnel syndrome.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #154
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I take a step back and think about how weird it is sometimes.

Can you think about what would happen if a 250 pound very athletic man picked you up and threw you into the ground as hard as he could?

That would be a defining moment of your life. You'd think about it daily. You'd tell stories about it.

For an NFL quarterback, it happens often enough to be considered common.

What a strange, strange job.

I can tell you this is exactly true.

I was in the Navy and we had stopped in I believe it was Naniamo BC. One of our group decided to pick a fight with a mid-sized (6 foot 300+lbs) Samoan gentlemen.

Of course we had to try and defend him, when his larger friends joined in....

I'm a big guy...In the service I was rock hard built at 6-2 and 225.

this Samoan man picked me up bu the shoulder and thigh and THREW me. Across a pool table and into a wall. There was no arc, I went straight across to the wall.

I've never been quite so stunned in my life.

Dude didn't even grunt, it was like I was a wiffle ball. I lay there on the floor in the debris trying to decide if I was man enough to get back up.

So yes, I can swear to you it IS a life changing event and you WILL tell the story many times over
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #155
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Because accountants are constantly getting concussions, separated shoulders and broken femurs.

Pretty big difference between these and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Broken Femur:Carpal Tunnel as $60,000,000:$85k
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #156
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Pay me $1 million a year and I can live through injury-rehab-injury-rehab pretty freaking easily.

And die a decade or more younger than you might otherwise, after the last decade or two of your life is utterly miserable due to constant debilitating pain, possibly with severe memory issues and other loss of mental faculties that have led to more than a couple suicides.

Not saying that some won't knowingly take that trade, some certainly would anyway. Just calling someone a pussy because they won't is absurd.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #157
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Broken Femur:Carpal Tunnel as $60,000,000:$85k

Point being you don't walk into your office job run into a 270 pound secretary that runs a 4.5 40 and squats almost 600 pounds trying to take your head off. So the comparison of a pro athlete to Johnny 9 to 5 guy was ridiculous.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #158
BishopMVP
Coordinator

As is the idea that "a million dollars" or 20 matters as much to someone who already has 100+ in the bank. (And probably isn't dumb enough to blow it all like many ex-pro athletes.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:09 AM   #159
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

OFFICIAL - Terry Tate Office Linebacker "Superbowl Spot" - YouTube

"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #160
BYU 14
Coordinator

Touche
Old 08-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #161
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My opinion: Call him a pussy all you want. He still has money than you will ever have, and he never has to work another day in his life. If he wants to leave while he still can walk under own power, that is his call and more power to him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #162
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #163
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Celebration fouls now enforced on the PAT is an interesting change. They can be enforced on either the PAT or kickoff but why would anyone care about the kickoff?

Also the Dolphins trading a stud LT for a DE(and Clowney is really great, too) is just classic LoLPhins
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #164
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Celebration fouls now enforced on the PAT is an interesting change. They can be enforced on either the PAT or kickoff but why would anyone care about the kickoff?

Also the Dolphins trading a stud LT for a DE(and Clowney is really great, too) is just classic LoLPhins
Agreed it'd be dumb, but is there anything saying the Dolphins are actually considering trading Tunsil for him? He's older and idk the Redskins DL depth chart, but if the Texans want a stud LT I wonder if something could be worked out around Trent Williams & a 3rd/4th round pick.

Celebration on the PAT's make more sense now that it pushes it to a 50 yard+ kick, but backing it up 15 yards might also give a chance at a return, at least in poorer weather conditions. I'm still waiting for a team on the flipside (with a kickoff from the 50) to actually go for an onside kick instead of just booting it through the endzone & letting the other team start on the 25. A 10% chance at a recovery would seem worth the 12-15 yard difference.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #165
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Agreed it'd be dumb, but is there anything saying the Dolphins are actually considering trading Tunsil for him? He's older and idk the Redskins DL depth chart, but if the Texans want a stud LT I wonder if something could be worked out around Trent Williams & a 3rd/4th round pick.

Celebration on the PAT's make more sense now that it pushes it to a 50 yard+ kick, but backing it up 15 yards might also give a chance at a return, at least in poorer weather conditions. I'm still waiting for a team on the flipside (with a kickoff from the 50) to actually go for an onside kick instead of just booting it through the endzone & letting the other team start on the 25. A 10% chance at a recovery would seem worth the 12-15 yard difference.

I've wondered why teams kicking off from the 50 don't train for kicking a sky-high kick that comes down around the 5. Seems more likely than not that that would result in the return team pinned inside its 25.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #166
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I've wondered why teams kicking off from the 50 don't train for kicking a sky-high kick that comes down around the 5. Seems more likely than not that that would result in the return team pinned inside its 25.
It seems really hard to do that off a tee, and I also thought there were rules about a fair catch inside the 20(25) on kickoffs being moved up to that spot but maybe that was a HS/college rule. Ping: DrSak if he's around!
Old 08-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #167
BishopMVP
Coordinator

College definitely allows you to fair catch kickoffs & get it at the 25 - just saw FSU do it!

Clowney to the Seahawks for a 3rd, Barkevious Mingo (sucks) and some 2nd year edge player who sounds like he might be good going forward.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #168
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Clowney to the Seahawks for a 3rd, Barkevious Mingo (sucks) and some 2nd year edge player who sounds like he might be good going forward.

An odd trade. Mingo and Martin aren't going to get the Texans to the Super Bowl so I don't get why the Texans didn't just sit on Clowney until someone stepped up with a reasonable offer or just wait him out into next offseason, franchise again, and trade with a bit more leverage.

This is essentially giving away a top 5 edge guy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #169
bhlloy
Coordinator

If you think Mingo and Martin are basically backup players (they are) then the Texans just valued Clowney the same as Duke Johnson. Madness.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #170
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
An odd trade. Mingo and Martin aren't going to get the Texans to the Super Bowl so I don't get why the Texans didn't just sit on Clowney until someone stepped up with a reasonable offer or just wait him out into next offseason, franchise again, and trade with a bit more leverage.

This is essentially giving away a top 5 edge guy.
Texans FO structure has been a mess since their illegal and failed attempt to hire Caserio from the Patriots. Unless they really like Martin this reeks of a football coach saying I need guys who can help me now instead of having anyone step in and say the short term move is dumb. But Bill O'Brien is not Bill Belichick, and Jadeveon Clowney is not Jamie Collins... (And at least we got 1sts for Richard Seymour/Chandler Jones)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #171
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Tunsil (and Stills) to the Texans for 2 1st's & a 2nd. I like that return for Miami better than Clowney, but not sure giving up a young stud LT is the way to kick off a rebuild.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #172
QuikSand
lolzcat

Miami going as close to full "Empty Cupboard" as any NFL team I can remember. Guessing they see Tunsil as too risky or PITA to be worth a huge new contract, so get value while you can, and who cares about this year anyway when you're just tanking for Tua?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #173
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Tunsil (and Stills) to the Texans for 2 1st's & a 2nd. I like that return for Miami better than Clowney, but not sure giving up a young stud LT is the way to kick off a rebuild.

How in the hell do you make a trade that gives that much for Tunsil on the same day you got nothing for Clowney?
Old 08-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #174
QuikSand
lolzcat

:/ Hey my game's busted.

Last edited by QuikSand : 08-31-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #175
RendeR
Coordinator

Texans, finding a way to destroy a quality core of a team one trade at a time....
Old 08-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #176
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
How in the hell do you make a trade that gives that much for Tunsil on the same day you got nothing for Clowney?

I think Clowney is playing on the franchise tag, so the Seahawks are only getting him (guaranteed) for one season, and they can't (so I've read, might not be accurate) negotiate a long term deal. So basically Seattle is renting Clowney for one season to make a push for the Super Bowl and hoping that he'll give them priority during FA next off season. No one is going to give up much, even for an elite player, if they're only getting him for one season.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #177
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I think Clowney is playing on the franchise tag, so the Seahawks are only getting him (guaranteed) for one season, and they can't (so I've read, might not be accurate) negotiate a long term deal. So basically Seattle is renting Clowney for one season to make a push for the Super Bowl and hoping that he'll give them priority during FA next off season. No one is going to give up much, even for an elite player, if they're only getting him for one season.

Which is exactly why you let him sit out the year, franchise him again, and trade him with more leverage next offseason.

There's absolutely no reason to trade a top 5 edge for that return.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #178
JPhillips
General Manager

We shouldn't forget to mock the Vikings for using a 5th rounder to trade for a kicker and then cutting him to get to 53.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #179
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Texans and Seahawks are both splitting Clowney’s contract
Old 09-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #180
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Texans and Seahawks are both splitting Clowney’s contract

And if Seattle let's him walk in free agency they're likely getting a 3rd as compensation.

Basically the Texans decided the two linebackers they received are equal to 16 games of Clowney.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #181
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We shouldn't forget to mock the Vikings for using a 5th rounder to trade for a kicker and then cutting him to get to 53.

+1

One of my old college roommates is a Vikings fan. This is the shit I love to hammer him about.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #182
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

The Raiders now have 4 QBs on their 53.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #183
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
lol

The Raiders now have 4 QBs on their 53.
If they want to take Kizer over Glennon/Peterman as a developmental QB cool. If they still have 4 next weekend...
Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #184
QuikSand
lolzcat

Peterman to IR, so that stash seems fine. It is hilarious to see Gruden just collecting ragtag guys at QB who showed something in college or at th combine like he's building an entire pitching staff.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #185
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Strong rumors of Zeke & Cowboys agreeing on 6 yr/$90 million contract to be signed today.

Extremely likely that the last three years of that deal are fake money, so we'll need to see what the actual contract is when the numbers come out.

I'm bullish on the Cowboys this season.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #186
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just so I can record my wrongness:

AFC EAST: Pats
AFC NORTH: Ravens
AFC SOUTH: Colts
AFC WEST: Chiefs

AFC WILD CARDS: Jets, Texans

NFC SOUTH: Panthers
NFC EAST: Cowboys
NFC WEST: Seahawks
NFC NORTH: Packers

NFC WILD CARDS: Saints, Vikings

SUPER BOWL: Chiefs over Cowboys

FIRST OVERALL PICK: Jaguars (Dolphins were crazy to get Fitzpatrick as QB during a tank season).
Old 09-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #187
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

FIRST OVERALL PICK: Jaguars (Dolphins were crazy to get Fitzpatrick as QB during a tank season).

Bold prediction with the Colts and to a lesser degree Jets. Nothing is ever to form in the NFL so it looks good to me.

On a side note. Teams need to be studying up on Brady/Brees and how they are able to sustain great performance into their 40s. If you can draft a QB and slot him in as a top 5 for 20+ years thats billions of dollars in added franchise value.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-03-2019 at 01:11 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #188
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Can agree somewhat on Fitzmagic, but the Jaguars pick is very surprising to me. Good defense, bad division.

AFC SOUTH: Jaguars

AFC WILD CARDS: Browns, Texans

NFC SOUTH: Saints
NFC EAST: Eagles
NFC NORTH: Bears

NFC WILD CARDS: Rams, Vikings

SUPER BOWL: Patriots over Saints

FIRST OVERALL PICK: Redskins
Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Bold prediction with the Colts and to a lesser degree Jets. Nothing is ever to form in the NFL so it looks good to me.

On a side note. Teams need to be studying up on Brady/Brees and how they are able to sustain great performance into their 40s. If you can draft a QB and slot him in as a top 5 for 20+ years thats billions of dollars in added franchise value.

To me his boldest pick is having the Rams miss the playoffs.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #190
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Yup. Part of what makes the NFL great reality TV is that every season you get a truly shocking result.

This year's big shocker, I predict, will be the Rams missing the playoffs.

Super Bowl Hangover + Chaos Monkey = no playoffs.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #191
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Saints, Bears, Eagles are current NFC Super Bowl favorites. The Rams are next. 3 of those 4 missing the playoffs would be a crazy season.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #192
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brisket getting a 2 year 30M contract seems like a good recovery move by the Colts. No need to go into the offseason with franchise tag drama.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #193
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Brady is famously a health/workout freak.

Brees is one of those ultra clean cut guys who just seems to sincerely and honestly be happy for all his teammates going out for beers and burgers and then the club, but he's just going to have a lowfat yogurt, read the Bible with his wife, and go to bed early tonight.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #194
bhlloy
Coordinator

What's the over/under for the Dolphins win total with that roster now they've basically tried to jettison their best players?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #195
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
What's the over/under for the Dolphins win total with that roster now they've basically tried to jettison their best players?

I don’t think we are terrible throughout, but the OL is scary bad, Fitzmagic is not the solution, and the DL & LB are ‘untested’ shall we say.

So that translates into not being able to stop the run, and likely not being able to move the ball.

In retrospect, it’s actually a very clever way of tanking, as fixing the OL over a couple of seasons, getting a franchise QB and then bolstering the defensive front 7 could mean in 2-3 years we’re a really good team.

But we seem to be much better at tanking than we have been at building over the last 20 years, so whether it quite pans out like that is debatable

My guess is 2, maybe 3 wins?

Last edited by AlexB : 09-03-2019 at 03:23 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #196
JPhillips
General Manager

The Bengals are trying and I think their O-line is even worse than the Dolphins.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:41 AM   #197
RendeR
Coordinator

The O-line is definitely going to be a turning point for the offense, I'm more worried about the utter lack of any quality at LB
Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #198
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I don’t think we are terrible throughout, but the OL is scary bad, Fitzmagic is not the solution, and the DL & LB are ‘untested’ shall we say.

So that translates into not being able to stop the run, and likely not being able to move the ball.

In retrospect, it’s actually a very clever way of tanking, as fixing the OL over a couple of seasons, getting a franchise QB and then bolstering the defensive front 7 could mean in 2-3 years we’re a really good team.

But we seem to be much better at tanking than we have been at building over the last 20 years, so whether it quite pans out like that is debatable

My guess is 2, maybe 3 wins?

What part of fixing the OL involves trading a young franchise LT? I mean with the picks you got for Tunsil you have maybe a 30% chance of hitting a player as good, being generous?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:06 AM   #199
AlexB
Pro Starter

My guess is keeping him is too much of a risk that they might not be worst of the 32? You know the empty cupboard rules!

Edit to add: just in case not obvious, no, i don’t quite get this one.

Last edited by AlexB : 09-04-2019 at 02:23 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup. Part of what makes the NFL great reality TV is that every season you get a truly shocking result.

This year's big shocker, I predict, will be the Rams missing the playoffs.

Super Bowl Hangover + Chaos Monkey = no playoffs.

Missing the reference. What's the Chaos Monkey?

It could certainly happen and I, of course, am biased, but short of some major injury issues (conceivable) I don't see it happening.

The offense should be better. Goff a year better, Cooks-Woods-Kupp all back and healthy, Gurley may have the knee drama but they addressed that by drafting Henderson. And McVay is like a mad genius. The line has one major hole to fill, as they lost Saffold, but replacing Sullivan at C is a step up (he was not good).

On D, they lost major players on all three levels in Suh, Barron and Joyner, but they still have All-Universe Donald, Fowler, Brockers, Littleon, Peters, Talib and Johnson, and they added Weddle and Matthews as solid vet depth. That is still a really good D, with a very strong DC in Phillips.

We'll see, but I see them as plenty capable of not only getting back to the playoffs but back to the Super Bowl again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-04-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote