Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #51
Kodos
Resident Alien

CDC Warns It Expects Coronavirus to Spread in U.S. - WSJ

This article is not encouraging.

C.D.C. Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the U.S.

Nor this one.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-25-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

The US has the strongest (arguably) and/or most scalable healthcare system so we are probably the best to meet this challenge.

I do wish there was more information out there as far as "we have tried X and it has/not worked in treating the symptoms". You would think all the different existing drugs would have been tried by now. There's probably a wealth of sutdies/literature already out there but nothing has been synthesized by MSM to help educate the public.

I was reading an article about whether this was "airborne" or not. Yes, it doesn't fit the technical description of airborne but if I sneeze close by you and you can catch it, its "airborne" enough
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #53
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Stark contrast from the administration.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #54
Galaril
Pro Starter

Might be time to head down to Costco and by some bulk beans, rice,canned soup and mc n cheese. Is there any decent places that can give a idea of the type of things to pick up for a potential situation where schools, businesses and stores shutdown for a month or two?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #55
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I do wish there was more information out there as far as "we have tried X and it has/not worked in treating the symptoms". You would think all the different existing drugs would have been tried by now. There's probably a wealth of sutdies/literature already out there but nothing has been synthesized by MSM to help educate the public.

This just popped up. Good news.

This event will inevitably be adapted to a movie one day. Looking forward to it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-h...n-6-weeks.html
Quote:
Human trials testing a potential vaccine for the COVID-19 coronavirus are expected to begin in six weeks, U.S. health officials announced Tuesday.

“We are on time at least and maybe even a little bit better,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services, told reporters at a press conference. “Hopefully, no further glitches.”

The White House reportedly asked Congress on Monday for $1.25 billion , including money to develop a vaccine and therapeutics to treat the virus. The National Institutes of Health has been working with biotech company Moderna to develop a vaccine using the current strain of the coronavirus
Old 02-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Might be time to head down to Costco and by some bulk beans, rice,canned soup and mc n cheese. Is there any decent places that can give a idea of the type of things to pick up for a potential situation where schools, businesses and stores shutdown for a month or two?

Loads. Just search on google and reddit.

We have 30+ days supply of canned food already. After Katrina, it just made sense to buy "extra" stuff to put in the basement and rotate food that we would eat anyway - rice, pasta, Spam (!, love that stuff), Bush beans, canned corn, green beans, soups etc.

What I don't have yet is a couple months of toilet paper, dog food, lysol & alcohol !!

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-25-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #57
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Loads. Just search on google and reddit.

We have 30+ days supply of canned food already. After Katrina, it just made sense to buy "extra" stuff to put in the basement and rotate food that we would eat anyway - rice, pasta, Spam (!, love that stuff), Bush beans, canned corn, green beans, soups etc.

What I don't have yet is a couple months of toilet paper, dog food, lysol & alcohol !!

Thanks. This is a bit concerning for me with five kids at home and little confidence in the government especially these idiots to help us if it turns bad. I am not in panic mode but think it is prudent to have a bit of a small stock of food and like you said canned goods, dog and cat food etc. I guess it is off to Costco the am.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #58
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks. This is a bit concerning for me with five kids at home and little confidence in the government especially these idiots to help us if it turns bad. I am not in panic mode but think it is prudent to have a bit of a small stock of food and like you said canned goods, dog and cat food etc. I guess it is off to Costco the am.

I know Costco, Walmart, Target etc. keeps track of a person's purchases. It would be fascinating to see the analytics on what items are being bought now that a person would not normally buy or in that quantity.

I wonder if they have see a significant difference in buying yet from their members.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

I have a friend in Florida that bought a case of MREs off Amazon (I think) when there were concerns of a hurricane last year. Seem kind of pricey but I guess in an emergency, would work.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #60
RainMaker
General Manager

So I thought stocking up was silly but maybe it's not a bad idea.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #61
JPhillips
General Manager

And it's not just mortality. The hospitalization rate is maybe the bigger worry as hospital beds fill up and then what? Even if the virus is in relatively few cities, it can still cause a lot of problems.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #62
PilotMan
Head Coach

The rate of infection is about the same, which may have been what this person was talking about. However, the rate of death is higher with CV.

The biggest issue seems to be the incubation period. The common flu is like 3 days, and this can stretch up to 14 days, and one case of 27 days (although it's possible that person was exposed to more than one person who had the virus).

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #63
Izulde
Head Coach

Also that the incubation period is largely asymptomatic.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #64
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The rate of infection is about the same, which may have been what this person was talking about. However, the rate of death is higher with CV.

FWIW ...

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu? | Live Science
Quote:
The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3, according to The New York Times.

Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19. A study published Jan. 29 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be 2.2, meaning each infected person has been spreading the virus to an average of 2.2 people.

It's important to note that R0 is not necessarily a constant number. Estimates can vary by location, depending on such factors as how often people come into contact with each other and the efforts taken to reduce viral spread, Live Science previously reported.

Re: Death rate, per the link below, it's primarily the older folks that have to worry. It was a little < 15% for 80+ and pretty high for 70+

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-25-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #65
tarcone
Coordinator

Why dont we just shut down the world for 2 weeks?

No one goes to work. No one leaves their house. Problem solved.

Givepeople a 48 hour window to stock up and GO

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

We can't get people to use their blinkers....
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #67
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Because of libertarians, that's why.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-25-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #68
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I wouldn't mind a 2 week vacation.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #69
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
FWIW ...

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu? | Live Science

Re: Death rate, per the link below, it's primarily the older folks that have to worry. It was a little < 15% for 80+ and pretty high for 70+

Coronavirus: Largest study suggests elderly and sick are most at risk - BBC News

Regarding the first number:

There's lot of numbers none of them hard yet.

How contagious is the Wuhan Coronavirus? (Ro)

The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus.
WHO's estimated (on Jan. 23) Ro to be between 1.4 and 2.5. [13]
Other studies have estimated a Ro between 3.6 and 4.0, and between 2.24 to 3.58. [23].
Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5. [5][6][7]
An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.
For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.

Like Steam?

Old 02-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Give people a 48 hour window to stock up and GO

Great idea but unfortunately I'd still have to work remote.

I do wonder if there is enough food at grocery stores for each family to buy 2 weeks worth of food?

Which leads to another question - how are the folks quarantined in cities like Wuhan getting food?

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-25-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #71
Galaril
Pro Starter

So that 6 week vaccine human trial sounds like it is wishful thinking. Head of National Health said as much. Also, it will be interesting if they develop a virus and 30%of the country does not want to take it. I would be in favor of forced vaccinations and if need be by the national guard .

Last edited by Galaril : 02-25-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #72
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So that 6 week vaccine human trial sounds like it is wishful thinking. Head of National Health said as much. Also, it will be interesting if they develop a virus and 30%of the country does not want to take it. I would be in favor of forced vaccinations and if need be by the national guard .

Not a chance I would take a hastily developed vaccine for a disease I have 98% chance of surviving.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #73
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not a chance I would take a hastily developed vaccine for a disease I have 98% chance of surviving.

Yes the vaccine would need to be proper tested and be considered as safe as the common flu vaccine . Do you get the flu vaccine or are you against vaccinations in general?
Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yes the vaccine would need to be proper tested and be considered as safe as the common flu vaccine . Do you get the flu vaccine or are you against vaccinations in general?

I am very much pro vaccination. Usually I do get the flu vaccine but I didn't this year.

I will admit I am becoming more and more skeptical of some vaccines. Not that they cause autism or anything, more regarding the necessity. I have heard a lot about the HPV one. Now I am not saying I am for or against it, and I have not been swayed one way or the other by social media, I just want to read more on it before my kids get it. The health care industry has gotten out of control with profits and you have to wonder how much of it is marketing as opposed to really needing it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #75
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I am very much pro vaccination. Usually I do get the flu vaccine but I didn't this year.

I will admit I am becoming more and more skeptical of some vaccines. Not that they cause autism or anything, more regarding the necessity. I have heard a lot about the HPV one. Now I am not saying I am for or against it, and I have not been swayed one way or the other by social media, I just want to read more on it before my kids get it. The health care industry has gotten out of control with profits and you have to wonder how much of it is marketing as opposed to really needing it.

You realize there is great chance your kids get cancer is they dont get the HPV virus? Even if the chance is remote, why not negate it?

As much as I am a conspiracy theory guy and I dont trust the government, Im sold on vaccinations.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #76
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Fair points.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-25-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You realize there is great chance your kids get cancer is they dont get the HPV virus? Even if the chance is remote, why not negate it?

How do you know that? Have you done the research? Seen independent research? Are there even independent studies that exist or is it what the drug companies have told you because they profit from it?

Again. I am not saying that is what I believe, I am saying I need to do more research.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #78
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you know that? Have you done the research? Seen independent research? Are there even independent studies that exist or is it what the drug companies have told you because they profit from it?

Again. I am not saying that is what I believe, I am saying I need to do more research.

Damn you. Im as big an anti Pharma guy as there is and yet I buy into the vaccination stuff.

What do I believe, What do I think is fact or fiction? Who do I believe?

I hate big pharma, yet Im buying into their propaganda.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #79
Radii
Head Coach

Yeah I'm absolutely no expert here but using the HPV vaccine as the example here seriously surprises me. I was under the impression that the cancer risks in women who contract HPV are well understood and accepted and that this was seen as a godsend for women's health by virtually everyone who isn't strict anti-vaxx.

Again, not anywhere close to an expert and I can't bring you sources for any of this, just my general understanding with the impression that this understanding comes from many sources who don't stand to profit or have ulterior motives.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #80
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

TBH I would not want to be the first tranche to take the vaccination even after successful human trials.

I'll wait after first tranche + 1 month just in case anything comes up. Now if everybody was dying left-and-right, yeah I'll go first.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #81
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
TBH I would not want to be the first tranche to take the vaccination even after successful human trials.

I'll wait after first tranche + 1 month just in case anything comes up. Now if everybody was dying left-and-right, yeah I'll go first.

Agree.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yeah I'm absolutely no expert here but using the HPV vaccine as the example here seriously surprises me. I was under the impression that the cancer risks in women who contract HPV are well understood and accepted and that this was seen as a godsend for women's health by virtually everyone who isn't strict anti-vaxx.

Again, not anywhere close to an expert and I can't bring you sources for any of this, just my general understanding with the impression that this understanding comes from many sources who don't stand to profit or have ulterior motives.

Like I said I haven't even thought about researching it yet. Maybe the bias has sunk in through osmosis on social media or something.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #83
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Regarding the first number:

There's lot of numbers none of them hard yet.

How contagious is the Wuhan Coronavirus? (Ro)

The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus.
WHO's estimated (on Jan. 23) Ro to be between 1.4 and 2.5. [13]
Other studies have estimated a Ro between 3.6 and 4.0, and between 2.24 to 3.58. [23].
Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5. [5][6][7]
An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.
For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.
If COVID is >= 3.0, then this is going to be a Spanish Flu level catastrophe, tens of millions dead.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #84
RainMaker
General Manager

Noticed N99 masks are sold out at Amazon.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:08 AM   #85
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
If COVID is >= 3.0, then this is going to be a Spanish Flu level catastrophe, tens of millions dead.

I still don't see it. I believe modern countries, with strong medicine and high standards of cleanliness will not experience this on anything like that level. China, India, Africa, Russia all are at a substantially higher risk. Maybe it will and maybe that will be enough to crash these global economy, but warmer weather is coming too and like the risk will drop with that alone.

HPV vaccines for men massively reduce cancer risks for women. This has been shown. I would give them all day and twice on Sunday.

Like Steam?

Old 02-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #86
molson
General Manager

I was reading about how one of the reasons coronavirus spreads so quickly and easily is that it's not particularly deadly or even debilitating. Young people get it, assume they have the cold or the flu - or sometimes feel no symptoms at all - and continue their plans and travel around. They tested everyone on that cruise ship and lots of people had it - even though they all felt fine. If they were just out in the world they wouldn't have even been tested.

That makes containment a lot more difficult. There's a Harvard professor who thinks that 40-70% of people in the world will get the virus at some point, but that most will get only mildly sick, or not notice at all.

Even though they probably under-report things, the fact that we don't have reports of bodies in the streets in China despite how easily this spreads seems to support all that. If China can avoid massive deaths, and there's some indications things are tapering off there, we hopefully will see even smaller death tolls in Europe and North America.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/

Last edited by molson : 02-26-2020 at 04:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #87
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It sounds like this is a bit like West Nile Virus. Some won’t notice they have it, the elderly and very young die.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #88
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
It sounds like this is a bit like West Nile Virus. Some won’t notice they have it, the elderly and very young die.

Not sure about the very young, see BBC link above. If it can be believed (have to take it with a grain of salt, its a Chinese study), it showed the very young were not impacted that much either. Primarily the older folks ... just under 15% for 80+, about 8% for 70-79, 3.5% for 60-69.

(Probably some ageist bio-terror plot to redistribute Boomer wealth IMO)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #89
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Noticed N99 masks are sold out at Amazon.

I was just listening to someone from the CDC on NPR and they said mask are only helpful for sick people not to spread the disease.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #90
JPhillips
General Manager

HHS Sec says that he can't promise people will be able to afford a future coronavirus vaccine because the private sector needs to make money so they'll continue to invest.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #91
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
HHS Sec says that he can't promise people will be able to afford a future coronavirus vaccine because the private sector needs to make money so they'll continue to invest.

WTF grifters.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #92
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Gross.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #93
Galaril
Pro Starter

My worst fears have come to pass. We have national crisis that involves potential life and death decisions and we have to count Trump to protect us.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #94
Galaril
Pro Starter

Trump- “I am putting Mike Pence in charge as the Czar"........No!!!!

Though I guess better than Trump.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-26-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #95
JPhillips
General Manager

Pence making it clear that Dear Leader is using his powers as a God-King to protect all Americans.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #96
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Don't worry. Pence us in charge. You know, the guy who doesn't believe in science.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pray the corona away. Perfect.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #98
Galaril
Pro Starter

Haha I forgot about that. We are all fucked!
Old 02-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #99
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m looking forward to scientists revealing that the gays are the reason Coronavirus is sweeping across America
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I was just listening to someone from the CDC on NPR and they said mask are only helpful for sick people not to spread the disease.

I figured as much. Just thought it was interesting to see people stocking up.

Did find some N95 masks around the house I used during messy home improvement projects.