Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
miked
College Starter

Student found dead in gym, crazy coverup?

So I hadn't seen much about this, but you can google it for all info (Kendrick Johnson). I'm interested because a) It's in GA, and b) it's completely baffling how this story has developed.

Story highlights:
Student found dead in rolled up gym mat, coroner says he died of asphyxiation and was reaching for a shoe that fell in and got stuck an died. Police investigate, case closed.

Turns out the shoe in question has no blood on it, despite a pool of blood being found under the student's head.

There are other pairs of shoes found with substance that appears to be blood, not investigated. Also blood stains on a wall that were not from the deceased, but investigators say is "old"...apparently the school doesn't wash large amounts of blood off their walls.

All other gym mats are really tightly rolled, no idea how he got in and why he was stuck.

Family hires coroner who finds blunt force trauma to the neck...and get this...all organs missing. Funeral home says body arrived without organs and newspapers stuffed inside. Coroner mum.

If all this isn't incredible enough, there is a apparently a video that the school has where stills were taken showing him in the gym alone. Until now of course, when they say they will not hand over video, but other minors seen in gym at same time.

No police were wearing protective gear when checking out the scene, nothing taken for testing.

If all this wasn't crazy enough, it seems nobody is really interested in re-opening the case. Local police say cased closed and nothing is out of the ordinary for them. I know Valdosta is not THAT redneck an area, but it's hard to believe we live in 2013 and local officials seem to think this will go unchecked. So the thoughts range to somebody associated with the school or PD committing a crime and a large coverup, to plain old accidental death. Just thought this was a completely odd case and seems to be gaining some national attention.

miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Grantland has had several interesting articles on this. Smells like a cover-up.

The mysterious death of a 17-year-old football player from Valdosta, Georgia - Grantland

New Developments in the Case of Kendrick Johnson - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You would think parents/relatives would be raising an issue with this. I saw the parents interviewed. This still feels odd. Like somebody should have a lawsuit coming but there isn't one.

Last edited by Matthean : 10-19-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
miked
College Starter

They are, they paid for a 2nd autopsy, had to exhume him to find out where his organs were, and have been pushing. Local officials won't reopen the case and have shunned all media. The school won't even release the video, despite having acknowledged that their original assertion that he was there alone was a lie. I think they are waiting on the state or Feds, but considering the state crime lab did the original autopsy, it doesn't look like there is too much cooperation there.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm surprised there's not more outrage in general outside the immediate family. The way Grantland writes the story is a little misleading though, not mentioning that the organs were misplaced between two autopsies v. taken until well into the article.

This feels tailor-made for an investigate journalist if they even exist anymore.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
They are, they paid for a 2nd autopsy, had to exhume him to find out where his organs were, and have been pushing. Local officials won't reopen the case and have shunned all media. The school won't even release the video, despite having acknowledged that their original assertion that he was there alone was a lie. I think they are waiting on the state or Feds, but considering the state crime lab did the original autopsy, it doesn't look like there is too much cooperation there.

I saw an interview with them and edited my post. Hopefully people keep poking until the truth comes out. There's zero chance this was an accident.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I'm surprised there's not more outrage in general outside the immediate family. The way Grantland writes the story is a little misleading though, not mentioning that the organs were misplaced between two autopsies v. taken until well into the article.

This feels tailor-made for an investigate journalist if they even exist anymore.

Yeah, from what I read, the 2nd autopsy guy said all the organs were missing and they blamed the funeral home. The funeral him guy said they received the body as is and were told the organs were destroyed. But good for the family for following up, because it seems everyone was quick to close this and some families would buy the story and move on. Nothing about this is even close to reality.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm sure by the time they're ordered to release the video it will have been accidentally lost or recorded over.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

The video shows other kids in the gym at the same time as Johnson per CNN this morning. I don't understand how this isn't all over the news. CNN seems to be the only one following it. There is clearly something very, very, wrong with this entire situation and the story they have tried to sell is crap.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

bizarre...can't wait to find out what the truth is.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

By the same token, the case was rejected by even the Justice Department who found insufficient reasons to open an investigation.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
By the same token, the case was rejected by even the Justice Department who found insufficient reasons to open an investigation.

Which again is horse manure.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
So I hadn't seen much about this, but you can google it for all info (Kendrick Johnson). I'm interested because a) It's in GA, and b) it's completely baffling how this story has developed.

Story highlights:
Student found dead in rolled up gym mat, coroner says he died of asphyxiation and was reaching for a shoe that fell in and got stuck an died. Police investigate, case closed.

Turns out the shoe in question has no blood on it, despite a pool of blood being found under the student's head.

There are other pairs of shoes found with substance that appears to be blood, not investigated. Also blood stains on a wall that were not from the deceased, but investigators say is "old"...apparently the school doesn't wash large amounts of blood off their walls.

All other gym mats are really tightly rolled, no idea how he got in and why he was stuck.

Family hires coroner who finds blunt force trauma to the neck...and get this...all organs missing. Funeral home says body arrived without organs and newspapers stuffed inside. Coroner mum.

If all this isn't incredible enough, there is a apparently a video that the school has where stills were taken showing him in the gym alone. Until now of course, when they say they will not hand over video, but other minors seen in gym at same time.

No police were wearing protective gear when checking out the scene, nothing taken for testing.

If all this wasn't crazy enough, it seems nobody is really interested in re-opening the case. Local police say cased closed and nothing is out of the ordinary for them. I know Valdosta is not THAT redneck an area, but it's hard to believe we live in 2013 and local officials seem to think this will go unchecked. So the thoughts range to somebody associated with the school or PD committing a crime and a large coverup, to plain old accidental death. Just thought this was a completely odd case and seems to be gaining some national attention.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the facts that your are getting from what you read in the media are coming from the family of the kid that died. Not to say that these things are necessarily untrue but they have been highlighted to give the appearance of foul play. The family has been screaming that this was not an accident since it was ruled that way. The other thing that makes me doubt a cover-up is the fact that the GBI was called in to investigate because the local sheriff was not equipped to handle a death investigation.

If this was some redneck sheriff's office in Podunkville doing the investigation; I can see that maybe there could be a motive for covering for the kid of a prominent citizen, racial motivation, or whatever but with the state investigators I'm less likely to believe that.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
The other thing that makes me doubt a cover-up is the fact that the GBI was called in to investigate because the local sheriff was not equipped to handle a death investigation.

Well, to be fair, GBI involvement isn't uncommon on suspicious deaths in Georgia. The state crime lab handles evidence testing & even autopsies for most counties here (which is why they're perpetually backed up for months).
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'll tell ya who wouldn't be caught dead in a gym. This guy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well, to be fair, GBI involvement isn't uncommon on suspicious deaths in Georgia. The state crime lab handles evidence testing & even autopsies for most counties here (which is why they're perpetually backed up for months).

I've been a homicide detective in Georgia for six years so I'm very aware of how backed up the GBI can get. Its not uncommon to submit evidence for forensic testing and the results not be ready until I've made an arrest and the case is going to trial two or three years later. I'm also pretty confident that even of the cause of death was even close to 50/50 call, they would rule on the side of homicide with a continued investigation. You even said yourself that the Justice Department didn't feel there was enough evidence to start an investigation.

I guess my overall point is not to get convinced by what you read in the media because even if the reporter is unbiased the source of the information can be. What is presented is fact in a news article can be distorted to support any claim you wish to make.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been a homicide detective in Georgia for six years so I'm very aware of how backed up the GBI can get.

That's cool, I was really making that observation for the board in general who might not be familiar with the relationship between the GBI & local agencies. Not every state structures that stuff the way it is here, best I can tell. I just didn't want anybody reading more into that involvement than was warranted.

Quote:
You even said yourself that the Justice Department didn't feel there was enough evidence to start an investigation.

Oh believe me, I've seen nothing here thus far beyond a manufactured controversy. I mean, when Al Sharpton starts out leading the charge, well ....
Old 10-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
That's cool, I was really making that observation for the board in general who might not be familiar with the relationship between the GBI & local agencies. Not every state structures that stuff the way it is here, best I can tell. I just didn't want anybody reading more into that involvement than was warranted.

Its kind of funny that you put it that way. I read an article several months ago about this case basically pointing to the fact that the GBI got called in to investigate by the sheriff as proof of some sort of cover-up. The article said that only district attorneys are able to call the GBI to investigate crimes and that the sheriff involving them was somehow improper. That is absolutely false information. Any sheriff or police chief can call the GBI to investigate a crime in their jurisdiction that the local agency is not equipped to handle. Like you said "manufactured controversy".

Last edited by Shepp : 10-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
miked
College Starter

I would imagine you are correct, we are seeing it through media coverage. I just wonder why the local PD and state aren't talking to the media about it. I didn't see Sharpton involved, but the fact that the school won't turn over the tape after they were caught giving bum info says a little.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't see Sharpton involved, but the fact that the school won't turn over the tape after they were caught giving bum info says a little.

FWIW, from back in May
http://valdostadailytimes.com/local/...ws-Al-Sharpton
Old 10-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I just wonder why the local PD and state aren't talking to the media about it.

I don't know anything at all about this case but sometimes it's for ethical, legal, liability, and department policy reasons. It can be frustrating to be on that side, where only one narrative is allowed to be put out. I don't know how the Georgia law enforcement agencies work, but it's really common to see say, supporters of convicted murder defendants be able to attempt to re-try their case in the media, whereas the state isn't allowed to respond if there's some potential for ongoing proceedings. So everything on one side says just becomes truth.

Last edited by molson : 10-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know how the Georgia law enforcement agencies work, but it's really common to see say, supporters of convicted murder defendants be able to attempt to re-try their case in the media, whereas the state isn't allowed to respond if there's some potential for ongoing proceedings. So everything on one side says just becomes truth.

I will note, just for the unfamiliar, that the GBI is notoriously tight-lipped (I dealt with them for years, and frequently).

It seems to have even gotten moreso recently, to the point that local agencies (like the ones in my old hometown in an on-going case) are pointing fingers openly about why they can't reveal more to a legitimately concerned public than they have.

That said, I'm not clear on how much involvement the GBI has in this particular case beyond the lab work.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Desnudo
Coordinator

Feds to re-open investigation of Kendrick Johnson death

Feds to re-open investigation of Kendrick Johnson death | theGrio
Old 11-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
miked
College Starter

Quote:
I don't know anything at all about this case but sometimes it's for ethical, legal, liability, and department policy reasons. It can be frustrating to be on that side, where only one narrative is allowed to be put out. I don't know how the Georgia law enforcement agencies work, but it's really common to see say, supporters of convicted murder defendants be able to attempt to re-try their case in the media, whereas the state isn't allowed to respond if there's some potential for ongoing proceedings. So everything on one side says just becomes truth.

I appreciate that, but if a case is closed and the local police refuse to open it, can they not share anything? Are there open records requests? Seems odd that everyone involved in the investigation (school, PD) is so adamant to share anything or open the books. Like, hey, here's the video that we said didn't didn't exist but really does that has lots of other people in it when we said it didn't. Maybe there's a logical explanation.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #26
Shepp
High School Varsity

Usually closed cases are subject to open records requests. I have not seen anywhere if the family of this kid has requested anything or not. It appears to me that the family is trying to say that this video existed when it may not have. I'm sorry that these folks lost their family member and all but it looks like what they doing now is looking for a reason to sue the school and/or anyone who was involved in the investigation.

On a side note I just saw on the news the other day that this NYU student had been trapped for a couple of day and had to be taken to the hospital. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but it shows that freaky stuff just happens sometimes.

hxxp://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/trapped-nyu-teen-tells-cops-drinking-article-1.1506806
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I appreciate that, but if a case is closed and the local police refuse to open it, can they not share anything? Are there open records requests? Seems odd that everyone involved in the investigation (school, PD) is so adamant to share anything or open the books. Like, hey, here's the video that we said didn't didn't exist but really does that has lots of other people in it when we said it didn't. Maybe there's a logical explanation.

Not sure what their mindset is, but I know a lot of agencies much prefer to be ordered to disclose something than to do it willingly. Law enforcement agencies LIKE to be ordered to do stuff, it's just a part of their mindset, and it relieves them of all liability and criticism if they're just doing what a judge makes them do. Every decision they make is going to be evaluated up and down the agency, but if they get that order, they're free and clear. So they sometimes drag their feet if they know that order might be coming. (and maybe they actually opposed the order here, I have no idea, nor do I know if any agency actually willfully denied the existence of something, or if they just denied the request on some arguably valid ground - it's easy for the media to screw up those distinctions, but I tend to doubt someone willfully and falsely denied the existence of something where they had to know there was going to be an order forthcoming). And I've read only a couple of articles on this but I haven't figured out - how is a video of him walking to the place where he died some kind of bombshell evidence?

Last edited by molson : 11-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
miked
College Starter

Weirder twists yet. The coroner's record is released and is full of complaints alleging mishandled crime scene and evidence with the body moved, evidence bags opened, and more. Also, apparently the video is released and missing chunks of time including people appearing and disappearing out of nowhere, as well the only camera pointed on the area of the alleged death being out of focus. There were 30+ cameras and this one was the only one out of focus.

This whole thing is just odd and makes it even more of a curious case.

Coroner slams handling of Kendrick Johnson case - CNN.com
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
Shepp
High School Varsity

Neither the video or the report from the coroner tell us anything shocking.

First the video; You have to realize that security video usually is continuously running 24/7. To do this would require a large amount of storage space for the recording and you would likely only be able to keep recordings for a day or two at most. To reduce space and extent the amount of time video can be kept cameras work from a motion sensor. When they detect motion they record until a short time after the motion stops. When you watch the playback it appears to skip around. I'll admit that I haven't seen this video but I'm willing to bet that this is the reason.

For the coroner's report; The body was likely moved to try and resuscitate the victim. I have been on scenes where the victim has been dead for days and because of liability reasons ems will insist on transporting them to the hospital. The other part about the body bag being opened says they did that to show the body to the father. So unless dad is in on the cover-up I'm not seeing how this proves anything.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
miked
College Starter

I never said it was some kind of cover up (to show the body to dad, etc). It shows the poor handling of this case by the local people. The video stuff is just weird, I understand it's likely a motion sensor camera but there's just a lot of strange stuff. Could be nothing...
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Neither the video or the report from the coroner tell us anything shocking.

First the video; You have to realize that security video usually is continuously running 24/7. To do this would require a large amount of storage space for the recording and you would likely only be able to keep recordings for a day or two at most. To reduce space and extent the amount of time video can be kept cameras work from a motion sensor. When they detect motion they record until a short time after the motion stops. When you watch the playback it appears to skip around. I'll admit that I haven't seen this video but I'm willing to bet that this is the reason.

For the coroner's report; The body was likely moved to try and resuscitate the victim. I have been on scenes where the victim has been dead for days and because of liability reasons ems will insist on transporting them to the hospital. The other part about the body bag being opened says they did that to show the body to the father. So unless dad is in on the cover-up I'm not seeing how this proves anything.

Wouldn't the coroner have been aware of all this? And what was with the focus issues on the one camera pointed where the kid was? Crazy coincidence?

Not saying none of this is true, but there is a LOT weird about this situation.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
Shepp
High School Varsity

I think a lot of the weird comes from the fact that these details are being presented by the attorneys of the dead kid's parents, independent of context, for the sole purpose of raising enough stink to continue this investigation.

If the families' attorneys and private investigator would have actually discovered and put forth a motive or possible suspect(s) to call this murder I may be more inclined to believe it. As it stands all they are doing is insisting that there is some grand mysterious cover-up.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
dave731
High School JV

Sounds like a Fringe case to me...
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #34
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

As someone who has sold and installed a surveillance camera or 3 thounsand of them I'll echo and some of Shepp's thoughts above but not others.

It is about storage space on older cam systems. There are a number of ways to comabt that. VERY LOW frame rates (1 per 6 12 or even 24 seconds) motion activation, time gates, etc. Anyone using PIR (passive infrared I.E. motion detector activated) cameras systems in a school environment is woefully untrained and really a leach to the industry.

Now I dont know how old the camera system is, or even the school fro that matter, but anything in the last 5 years or so shouldnt need any of these methods. Frankly hard drive space has become cheap. Its not uncommon to have 5-10 terrabyte drive built in to store DVR images. On a Standard Def cam (and really for security purposes why is anything more necessary) that should equate to somewhere around 4 years of video keep in a 1 cam system. Most institutions will have a 30 archive policy where every month you empty the HD onto an offsite HD and delete every year or so. Thinking if something hasnt been an issue in a year its no longer needed, though I know several indefinite keepers.

Now onto the focus issue. I remember a stat that used to propogated by one of the training industries that suggested 97% of all security cameras in service are 30% or more out of optimal focus. Current technology has made this much better with auto focusing microprocessor etc. But if this system is using PIR triggers, its almost guaranteed to be manual glass focal cameras. And these things change over time. A good camera system includes annual maintenance and one of the key components is lense cleaning and focal check. Id guesstimate that around 15% of all camera systems receive this service because people are cheap.

Anyway, no opinion on the case I dont know enough about it, just thought a few assumptions were being made that I think are inaccurate.

Namely i suspect that all or many of the cameras were out fo focus not just this one.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
Desnudo
Coordinator

[quote=Shepp;2871689]I think a lot of the weird comes from the fact that these details are being presented by the attorneys of the dead kid's parents, independent of context, for the sole purpose of raising enough stink to continue this investigation.

If the families' attorneys and private investigator would have actually discovered and put forth a motive or possible suspect(s) to call this murder I may be more inclined to believe it. As it stands all they are doing is insisting that there is some grand mysterious cover-up.[/]

It feels like a story of "incompetent local law enforcement" rather than some grand conspiracy. Too little known to draw any conclusions though.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
It feels like a story of "incompetent local law enforcement" rather than some grand conspiracy. Too little known to draw any conclusions though.

Right, because it can't possibly be a family that just can't accept the fact that this was an accident and an opportunistic attorney who sees a chance to extent his fifteen minutes.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #37
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Right, because it can't possibly be a family that just can't accept the fact that this was an accident and an opportunistic attorney who sees a chance to extent his fifteen minutes.

What does that have to do with what the coroner said 9 months ago?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
What does that have to do with what the coroner said 9 months ago?

Because the coroner's report documenting mistakes with handling of evidence do not make this a murder. The family and their attorney have gone out of their way to spin the facts of this incident to support their claim that this is some sort of conspiracy.

Going back to the coroner's report, one of the things he cited was that the seal in the body bag was broken to show the deceased to the father. I'm sure of they hadn't shown dad the body the family would have held that up as proof that the police were trying to hide something.

Like I said before if they had uncovered some sort of motive for the murder instead of focusing on mistakes in the investigation I would be more inclined to believe that their claims are legit.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
Desnudo
Coordinator

Other things he cited included moving the body and contaminating the scene which you left out. If it were my son I would be absolutely pushing this as far as I could take it since there clearly is some loose ends, sinister or otherwise.

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-11-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #40
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Other things he cited included moving the body and contaminating the scene which you left out. If it were my son I would be absolutely pushing this as far as I could take it since there clearly is some loose ends, sinister or otherwise.

I talked about that a couple of posts up.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #41
Butter
Coordinator

What about his insides being removed and replaced with newspaper? That's cool now, to just harvest organs from a person with a death from an unknown cause?

As rowech said, murder or not, there deserves to be a wide ranging investigation into the investigation, and some people deserve to get fired because of it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
What about his insides being removed and replaced with newspaper? That's cool now, to just harvest organs from a person with a death from an unknown cause?

As rowech said, murder or not, there deserves to be a wide ranging investigation into the investigation, and some people deserve to get fired because of it.

Removing the organs is standard with an autopsy. They are usually put back unto the torso and sewed up after the examination. I'll admit that this is probably the most odd thing about the entire incident. However, its just as likely that the newspaper thing happened at the funeral home that the family hired to bury the kid. If it had happened before that why didn't the funeral home alert the parents?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

I do feel for the parents. They just want to feel like their child didn't die in a pointless accident. I hope they find some closure someday.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't get how anyone can say there should not be further investigation. I get there could be explanations for everything, but if that is the case, then it all needs to be looked at, both the case itself and the investigation of said case, by all parties. Shepp, I appreciate your defense of this, but, really, there's just way too much "going wrong" here for all parties to just say "case closed, nothing else to see here" or to accuse the family of drumming up conspiracy theories for media sake (not Shepp, whoever that was).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

Well, the feds are investigating, but it's not their call whether anyone gets charged with murder. That's a discretionary call for the local jurisdiction. And even if a murder/accident investigation is "botched", that's not a crime. If the school was actively complicit in the botching somehow, then that maybe can be a grounds for a civil action, in which case the kid's family's lawyers got the feds to do their investigation and discovery for them, which is some damn fine lawyering.

Of course, if someone from law enforcement committed the murder or took actions to cover it up, that could be a fed concern. But that should be the extent of the fed's investigation, and it should be evident pretty quickly whether there's actually evidence of that or not.

I'm pretty skeptical there was a murder at all, mostly because this happened in an open gym in the middle of a school day, nobody has said anything to either law enforcement or the kid's lawyers (and they know who was around the gym at that time and who attends this school, presumably), and because despite all the lawyers involved there's not even a speculative scenario as to why students at this school or the school administration would want to murder this kid and why law enforcement would then want to cover it up. But I think this incident will probably be used at law enforcement/medical response trainings across the country as a "how not to" investigate and process accidental death cases in a manner that attracts this kind of attention afterwards. Just because you're sure it's an accident, it's still imprudent to cut corners, because you can't ever predict how something will be perceived based on incomplete information taken out of context.

Last edited by molson : 11-12-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Well, the feds are investigating, but it's not their call whether anyone gets charged with murder. That's a discretionary call for the local jurisdiction. And even if a murder/accident investigation is "botched", that's not a crime. If the school was actively complicit in the botching somehow, then that maybe can be a grounds for a civil action, in which case the kid's family's lawyers got the feds to do their investigation and discovery for them, which is some damn fine lawyering.

Of course, if someone from law enforcement committed the murder or took actions to cover it up, that could be a fed concern. But that should be the extent of the fed's investigation, and it should be evident pretty quickly whether there's actually evidence of that or not.

I'm pretty skeptical there was a murder at all, mostly because this happened in an open gym in the middle of a school day, nobody has said anything to either law enforcement or the kid's lawyers (and they know who was around the gym at that time and who attends this school, presumably), and because despite all the lawyers involved there's not even a speculative scenario as to why students at this school or the school administration would want to murder this kid and why law enforcement would then want to cover it up. But I think this incident will probably be used at law enforcement/medical response trainings across the country as a "how not to" investigate and process accidental death cases in a manner that attracts this kind of attention afterwards. Just because you're sure it's an accident, it's still imprudent to cut corners, because you can't ever predict how something will be perceived based on incomplete information taken out of context.

I generally agree with your assessment except the part about "how not to investigate and process" a death scene. The only way to preserve the scene would be to not render aid to the victim. If that happened we would be having a discussion about why no attempt was made to save this kid.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I also somewhat doubt there was any foulplay involved. It was probably some horrible accident and a mishandled investiation.

My point is just to say I don't see how anyone can look at what has come out and conclude "case closed" on anything (what happened, was the investigation botched, etc.).

Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #48
miked
College Starter

I would agree that they owe it to the parents to get this investigation. If what the county/school says is true, the parents should get some closure as to how, with all these kids walking around, cameras everywhere, this odd accident happened. I know they don't have to release anything, but the fact that the police needed court orders to release the evidence is a bit off (I know they have their reasons, but I can't help think of the Shakespeare "thou doth protest too much").