Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FM 2007: Breathing Life into the Old Lady of Europe - A Juventus Dynasty

Frankly it was a long shot, one that I didn't think had much chance of succeeding. But with it brutally apparent that my management career in the retail world was going nowhere, I had put together my resume and set it loose on the Internet looking for a job. Convinced to shoot for the moon by family and friends, I even applied to several football clubs overseas, largely in England and Italy, for any type of Internship that I could possibly land.

Lo and behold, I checked my email one day to find out that there were a few temp agencies here in the United States interested in me, but there was also a position as junior intern available...in Italy...working for JUVENTUS! Now it's at this point I must confess...I had always been a fan of the Bianconeri, La Vecchia Signora ever since the day I saw Edgar Davids and Juventus taking on Ajax in the Champions League. I quickly fired off an affirmative reply and set about booking my flight to Turin.

It wasn't until I arrived in Turin, Italy and glanced at the TV monitors showing a non-stop loop of a flaming car-crash that I learned that my life was about to change. Didier Deschamps was dead. Killed in a fiery collision with a pasta truck. The driver whom the club had sent to pick me up spoke only a little English, but I gathered that Signor Corbolli wanted to see me RIGHT AWAY.

Through the translator at the meeting with him I learned that he was very concerned with the club's image, to the point where he had hired an image consultant. The image consultant had recommended bringing in new blood in order to remove the taint of the match-fixing scandel from the club, but now Deschamps was dead. Corbolli apparently believed that Serie B should not present much of an obstacle to the club as currently constituted, yet he didn't want to promote anyone from within the club's hierarchy to take over in the wake of the match-fixing scandal. And so it fell to me, the lowest man on the totem-pole. Perhaps there was something financial in the decision as well, as I could be relatively underpaid versus the other candidates, even those who would be promoted from within.

Needless to say, I had a monster headache in my hotel room that night and could barely sleep. In the morning I would wake up and a car would take me down to the club's facilities where I would meet my staff, and then after that come face to face with some of the greatest footballers in the world. Guys who I had watched on TV for years with jaw-dropping astonishment. Trezeguet...Buffon...Nedved...Del Piero. Yeah...to say I couldn't sleep would be putting it lightly.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-03-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Intro
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

July 14th 2006

I arrive at the club's offices after a morning espresso and croissant to find several notes from the Chairman on my desk. One states that I am on a short-leash contract-wise now, and have been given a 1 year deal for 950k. A second scrap of paper says that with the club's current position in Serie B I will have under 16 million dollars to spend on transfers and a wage budget for the year of 58 million dollars.

This seems to me to be a staggering amount of money, but I'm sure that it won't be enough for me to return Juventus to glory in the Champions League for instance. My new secretary Giada interrupts my thoughts by bringing in a copy of the Corriere dello Sport featuring a hastily-snapped photo of me on the cover and numerous exclamation marks.

"They're not very happy with the boss," she laughs. "Don't think you can do the job American boy," she teases as she spins on her heel and heads out smartly. I frown, picking up the paper and flipping through it to try to get what I can out of it in the little time I have before I have to go and meet the staff. Giada comes back in to get me a little while later, leading me down the hall and down a flight of stairs to a conference room where the staff (or at least those who are in the country) are gathered. I'll spare you the recap of my staff, as they will all be staying until further notice. I don't have the experience necessary to dismiss anybody just yet.

My assistant Giancarlo Corradini and I head down after meeting with the rest of the staff to introduce me to the players, who are already out on the field knocking the ball around and stretching in little groups. Corradini explains that this is just the first-team players, the others are training on different pitches in the facility and I can meet them later.

Goalkeepers:
Gianluigi Buffon: Only 28 and world-class. Coming off a stellar World Cup performance, should be poised for a ton of clean sheets in Serie B this year. Definately the rock upon which I'll build my club.
Emanuele Belardi: On loan from Reggina for the year. Should be a capable backup to Buffon, but also shouldn't see many starts, if any. 28 as well, so not a candidate to be bought as a long-term backup for Buffon.
Needs: A longer-term backup for Buffon, preferably an older player, or several older players over a couple years until Buffon transitions to that role for my "keeper of the future."

Defense:
Giorgio Chiellini D/WB L: Only 21 but very well developed. Should develop into a superstar player for the club. This one will be hard to mess up.
Federico Balzeretti D/WB RL: 24 years old, looks to be a strong backup and/or a decent "spot-starter." Should excel in Serie B, but doesn't look to have the technical skills to succeed at quite the highest level consistently.
Alessandro Birindelli D R/WB RL: 31 years old. Solid backup at this point, but nothing more.
Jonathan Zebina D RC/WB R: 27 year old Frenchman. Solid starter who should succeed in Serie B, as well as Serie A and the Champions League, but nonetheless a position I will be interested in upgrading certainly. Has the total package, but a bit weak technically.
Felice Piccolo D RC: 22 year old Italian youngster. Less developed then Chiellini, could stand to improve technically, but strong mentally and physically. Should see action as a backup this year and continue to progress technically hopefully. Could one day be a decent option as a starter or a strong backup.
Jean-Alain Boumsong D C: 26 year old French central defender. Talented in all areas defensively, but weak on the ball. Will likely be first-choice out of necessity for at least a little while, but hopefully will be backup material before long.
Robert Kovac D C: 32 year old Croatian central defender. Beginning to become a bit long-in-the-tooth, but can still function as the rock at the center of my defense for a year or two. Solid in all aspects of the game, although along with Boumsong he is anything but gifted on the ball.
Needs: Improvement in central defense for both Kovac (age) and Boumsong (not the overall talent level I desire). A stronger right-back to replace Zebina and lock down the right side. A left back who will be capable of replacing Chiellini if an offer comes in for him that I can't refuse (as one is almost sure too...Barcelona/Chelski are already sniffing at him). Basically I'm in the market for defenders of all shapes and sizes. I don't like to concede goals.

Midfield:
Raffaele Palladino AM L / ST: 22 year old Italian. Quality striker more than anything else, but certainly 3rd or 4th choice on this team. Would be allowed to leave for the right price. Talent in all areas, but nothing much above mid-level.
Pavel Nedved AM RLC: 33 year old Czech midfield-maestro. Second or third name on the team sheet, and a primary playmaker for the squad wherever he plays in midfield. Likely will play on one of the two wings in order to allow me to play a defensive tandem in central midfield, but his versatility will be used. Corradini believes he still has plenty of gas in the tank, although I find that hard to believe. I will be on the lookout for his replacement for sure.
Alessandro Del Piero AM LC / FC: Do I really need to say anything about Del Piero? 31 and still going strong. Will be the first name on my team sheet along with Trezeguet. Likely will play up top as a striker more often than not, although could see play on the left-wing under certain circumstances.
Marco Marchionni AM R: 25 year old Italian. Solid as a backup for now, but certainly expendable given the right offer. Too many holes in his game to succeed at the highest level, but should be okay in a pinch.
Mauro Camorenesi AM R: Coming off a strong World Cup where his ponytail drew rave reviews and comparisons to that of another famous Italian, the 29 year old Camorenesi should play a pivotal role as we look to focus our attack down the wings through Nedved and him. Solid-to-exceptional player for sure.
Valeri Bojinov AM R / ST: This 20 year old Bulgarian is certainly a star in the making. He supposedly has the ability to play AM R, but in my mind he's an out-and-out striker first who could play on the right wing if forced by circumstance. Not ready to break the starting lineup yet with the talent on this team, but will be first-choice off the bench as he fine-tunes his talent. Co-owned by Fiorentina right now.
Claudio Marchisio M C: Lacking the physical talents right now, but he's only 20 so he has time to develop them. Has all the technical and mental skills required to be a force in midfield for years to come for Juventus.
Cristiano Zanetti DM: Top-notch talent all around from this 29 year old Italian. I plan on starting him in central midfield the entire season alongside Matteo Paro to form a bone-crushing, ball-winning tandem to feed Nedved/Camorenesi, although Zanetti's on-ball talents are not quite at the level of Paro's.
Matteo Paro DM: 23 year old Italian defensive midfielder. Lacks the ball-winning talents of Zanetti, but has better distribution talents to feed my wingers. Should continue to develop for the next couple years until he becomes a superstar.
Needs: A replacement for Nedved when he begins to lose effectiveness, perhaps a central midfielder to start in place of Paro as Paro continues to develop?

Attackers:
David Trezeguet SC: 28 year old Frenchman. Again is there anything I need to say about this guy? It will be his goals that fire us back to Serie A, and into the Champions League after that. His finishing is sublime and he is mentally always in the game.
Needs: A replacement for if/when Bojinov leaves, a replacement for Del Piero when he hangs up his cleats.

Top Reserve Players:
Andrea Gasbarroni, Rey Volpato, Michele Paolucci, Fabrizio Miccoli - All on loan for the year already. Gasbarroni is an exciting midfield winger who could possibly supplant Camorenesi. Volpato and Paolucci are talented young strikers, Paolucci the more gifted striker but Volpato better all-around. And Miccoli is the ex-Perugia/Fiorentina/Benfica striker who is 27 already.

After the hours spent being introduced to the first-team and having short little one-on-ones with each of the guys, I was famished, so I headed in to the cafeteria for a quiet, solitary lunch to mull what exactly I was going to do.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I had always been a fan of the Bianconeri, La Vecchia Signora ever since the day I saw Edgar Davids and Juventus taking on Ajax in the Champions League.

You know I was at the Olimpico stadium here in Rome that day? I was 15 years old at the time, and although now I hate soccer, that's one of the best memories of my life. I was also a Juventus fan.

Anyway, I'll be reading you.

Oh, BTW, I'm quite sure Davids was still playing with Ajax that day.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
You know I was at the Olimpico stadium here in Rome that day? I was 15 years old at the time, and although now I hate soccer, that's one of the best memories of my life. I was also a Juventus fan.

Anyway, I'll be reading you.

Oh, BTW, I'm quite sure Davids was still playing with Ajax that day.

yeah you're quite right about that. i realized at some point that i had just kinda meshed his experiences after that in a Juve shirt back into that day. Too many memories of him playing for Juve to remember that he actually played for Ajax that day, so I just decided to remember it that way? Or maybe it was a later match that they played versus Ajax in Amsterdam the season after he joined Juventus or something that I like to remember...I dunno. *shrug*

Emiliano...how can you hate futbol? Is that like...legal?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FYI to those following along. My main laptop is in for service, and I had a Juve game that was HIGHLY successful on there, so provided I get that laptop back I may go back in and edit/fast-forward this dynasty to the point where I'm at there.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I'll be reading, but I have to root against you.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Good start... looking forward to it.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yeah you're quite right about that. i realized at some point that i had just kinda meshed his experiences after that in a Juve shirt back into that day. Too many memories of him playing for Juve to remember that he actually played for Ajax that day, so I just decided to remember it that way? Or maybe it was a later match that they played versus Ajax in Amsterdam the season after he joined Juventus or something that I like to remember...I dunno. *shrug*

Emiliano...how can you hate futbol? Is that like...legal?

Ah ah! Yeah, I'm considered an outlaw here...

Anyway, The Pitbull really was a bad-ass.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i should be getting my other computer back any day now *crossing fingers* so i may just hold off and edit this and bring in my longer career to it, assuming it survived the trip to HP.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the machine is back, the HD is intact (was a RAM problem), so I am planning on something to leap it forward so that it makes sense and i can just pick up with the game.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Catching you all up to where I am now 2/17/10

8/23/06 - Knocked Out in Italian Cup Second Qualifying Round
4/21/07 - Promoted from Serie B to Serie A
4/21/07 - Serie B Champions
1/30/08 - Knocked Out in Italian Cup Semifinal
5/25/08 - Finished 4th in Serie A
1/28/09 - Knocked Out in Italian Cup Semifinal
4/7/09 - Knocked Out in Champions League Quarterfinal
5/24/09 - Finished 3rd in Serie A
1/27/10 - Knocked Out in Italian Cup Semifinal

Transfers
8/3/06 - Sold Valeri Bojinov to Chelsea for 38 million
8/28/06 - Bought Luciano Galletti from Atletico for 11.25 million
8/29/06 - Bought Lucas from Germio for 19 million
1/2/07 - Signed Gustavo Lopez from Celta on a free transfer
1/4/07 - Released Alessandro Birindelli on a free transfer
7/1/07 - Bought Arouca from Fluminese for 17.75 million
7/1/07 - Released Igor Tudor to Kaiserslauten on a free transfer
7/1/07 - Signed Nicola Mingazzini from Bologna on a free transfer
7/1/07 - Released Orlando Urbano to AlbinoLeffe on a free transfer
7/1/07 - Sold Raffaele Palladino to Liverpool for 18 million
7/6/07 - Released Giorgio Merlano on a free transfer
7/25/07 - Sold Claudio Marchisio to Torino for 1.8 million
8/11/07 - Released Guiliano Gianichedda to Osasuna on a free transfer
8/11/07 - Sold Manuele Blasi to Osasuna for 6.75 million
8/28/07 - Released Pavel Nedved on a free transfer
11/6/07 - Released Alessandro Dantoni on a free transfer
1/2/08 - Bought Gabriel Milito from Zaragoza for 16.5 million
1/6/08 - Bought Alexis from Atletico for 15.5 million
1/25/08 - Sold Andrea Masiello to Atletico for 4.1 million
629/08 - Released Gustavo Lopez, Cristiano Corradini, Giuseppe Leta, Davide Borin, Piergiuseppe Maritato on free transfers
7/1/08 - Released Nicola Legrrottaglie to Reggina on a free transfer, Robert Kovac to Espanyol, Tullio Maio to Messina, Alessandro Rossi to Genoa, Olivier Kapo to Chievo, Andrea Torta to Mantova, Gaetan Tomas Guzman (free transfer), Alex Pederzoli (free transfer), Marco Brighi (free transfer), Ivano Sorrentino (free transfer), Alberto Balgana (free transfer)
7/3/08 - Bought Andres Guardado from Atlas for 7 million
7/10/08 - Bought Tomas Rosicky from Arsenal for 14.5 million
8/31/08 - Sold Giorgio Chiellini to Barcelona for 32 million
10/30/08 - Signed Harry Kewell on a free transfer
11/5/08 - Released Giancarlo Corradini, Luigi Di Giaimo, Diego Giannattasio, Luciano Miani, Domenico Arnuzzo on free transfers
11/6/08 - Hired Gianpiero Ventrone as Assistant Manager
11/7/08 - Hired Sergio Clerici as Scout
1/1/09 - Sold Antonio Mirante to Bordeaux for 4.8 million
1/11/09 - Bought Fabricio Coloccini from Deportivo for 22 million
1/11/09 - Bought Sergio Ramos from Real Madrid for 28 million
6/30/09 - Released Cristian Molinaro to Liverpool and Abdoulay Konko to Mantova on free transfers
7/1/09 - Lost Rey Volpato to Reggina on a free transfer (this one hurt)
7/1/09 - Signed Alberto Bueno from Real Madrid and Michael Owen from Liverpool on free transfers
7/1/09 - Released Andrea Pisani to Levante on a free transfer
7/1/09 - Released Jonathan Zebina to Real Madrid on a free transfer
7/1/09 - Sold Harry Kewell to Betis for 2.8 million
7/1/09 - Bought Thiago Ribeiro from Sao Paulo for 15 million
7/1/09 - Released Nicola Cosentini (Torino), Carlo Vecchione (Udinese), Andrea Ciolli (Udinese), Stefano Bonsanto (Roma), Douglas Ricardo Packer (Messina) on free transfers
7/1/09 - Bought Cesare Bovo from Betis for 4.6 million, Eric Abidal from Lyon for 31.5 million
7/31/09 - Released Felice Piccolo to Napoli on a free transfer
8/24/09 - Released Marcelo Zalayeta on a free transfer
8/31/09 - Bought Thomas Sorensen from Aston Villa for 8 million
11/7/09 - Released Alessandro Bettega on a free transfer
1/2/10 - Bought Diego Gavilan from Gimnastic for 4.7 million
1/5/10 - Sold Jean-Alain Boumsong to Sampdoria for 1.5 million

New Feeder Teams

Brondby (Denmark), DC United (USA), Gimnasia La Plata (Argentina), Accra Hearts of Oak (Ghana), Korona Kielce (Poland), Leon (Mexico), Nagoya Stolz (Japan), Preston North End (UK), Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa)

Coming Next...A Rundown of the current squad
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

GK's

Buffon: What's to say about Gianluigi? He's 32 and still going strong. His past 4 years have looked like this (games/conceeded/clean sheet): 06 (38/24/21), 07 (46/37/21), 08 (55/44/26), 09 (36/37/13). I have begun searching for his long-term successor casually, and more intently in terms of U-18 players. But he has been in rare form for us.
Thomas Sorensen: 33 year old, signed as an experienced backup for Buffon. Only a year older, but on a contract as a backup player and I won't stand for him to raise a ruckus or he'll be shipped out for someone who won't make a fuss. Sorensen should see the field hopefully once in a blue moon, to lighten Buffon's workload a tiny bit.

There are 5 (!) young keepers in my Reserve Team and my U-20 Team.Fabio Cuoghi is the pick of them. He's 18 and both physically and technially gifted. His mental skills are coming along quite nicely and he looks as if he could be Buffon's long-term replacement. He is about ready to go out on loan and start getting some game-level experience with some of my feeder teams in weaker leagues.

D's

Gabriel Milito (SW, D C) : Signed for 16.5 million with the intention of him being a first-choice defender, but since his signing due to numerous nagging injuries (and one torn calf muscle) he has featured primarily as a substitute.
Alexis (D RC ): Signed for 15.5 from Atletico during the 2007-08 season, this Spaniard has been a first-choice defender since his arrival. Only 24, should prove to be a great defender for us for years to come. His value is only rising...I could probably get 30 million for him from the right team if I decided to sell him on.
Cesare Bovo (D RLC): 27 year old Italian. Signed primarily for his versatility in playing all positions across the back, and because I have followed him on-and-off for years. Solid and versatile backup defender.
Sergio Ramos (D RC): Still just 23, this Spanish youth will be a world-class defender for years. I managed to pry him away from Real Madrid due to his release clause, and I could probably double what I paid for him if I felt the urge to move him. He's first-choice in defense though, going nowhere.
Eric Abidal (D LC, WB L): This 30 year old Frenchman was brought in this season (2009-2010) to shore up the left side of the defense where others before him had failed since the departure of Chiellini to Barcelona (in a sale that Corbolli overruled me on). By virtue of the necessity of having a strong left-back to replace Chiellini, Abidal became my most expensive signing to date, as unlikely as that might sound.
Fabricio Coloccini (D C, DM): This Argentine is still only 28. After arriving from Deportivo in the 2008-2009 season for 22 million he wasted no time in establishing himself as a first-team player in central defense. His performances have been rock-solid.
Federico Balzaretti (D/WB RL): He's 28 already and his skills have stagnated. Makes a decent third choice as a backup wing defender, but not someone that I'd want to see on the field in critical situations. I will be looking to sell him on to get value for him soon though.

M's
Andres Guardado (WB L, AM L): He's a 23 year old Mexican phenom and he will ply his trade for Juventus until I die or Corbolli sells him out from under me (for no less than 50 million I hope). He's already worth close to 4 times what I paid for him in face value alone. His game is electric and he has slotted in immediately as a replacement for Pavel Nedved, to the point where Nedved became superfluous. In replacing Nedved he also displaced Tomas Rosicky who I had acquired with the intention of using him in Nedved's old slot. Best 7 million dollars I've ever spent.
Paolo De Ceglie (WB/M L): This 23 year old Italian could be Guardado's equal if he ever sees the field. Currently on loan at Bordeaux as I struggle to find a place for him on the pitch, he is supremely gifted in all areas of the game.
Lucas (DM): Also just 23, this Brazillian sensation is classed as a defensive midfielder but he has the ability to play anywhere from defensive midfielder to attacking midfielder. Although I have many options in the centre of midfield, it is nearly impossible to displace Lucas. He is in many ways the fulcrum of my team.
Matteo Paro (DM): This 26 year old Italian would have been first-choice in the centre of midfield were it not for my Brazillian duo. As is, he provides an excellent option off the bench or to rest one of the two or cover for injuries. His value is depressed at this point, but as he is a loyal servant of the club since his youth days I don't anticipate wanting to sell him on.
Diego Gavilan (DM M RC): Gavilan is a 29 year old Paraguayan whom I purchased on the cheap from Gimnastic primarily to act as cover for the right and centre of midfield. Mentally he is top-notch, and tactically he is solid, it's his physical attributes which lag behind and made him a relative bargin. Money well-spent, even if just for peace-of-mind.
Arouca (MC): The second-half of my Brazillian power-duo, he is also 23 and along with Lucas should lockup the centre of midfield for me for years to come.Strong in all phases of the game and still improving.
Mauro Camorenesi (MR): He's 33, and physically he has begun to show it. Still deadly effective as a substitute, but he's likely past his days of starting here.
Andrea Gasbarroni AM RLC): This 28 year old Italian's play has been a revelation and his versatility is quite the asset. He dislodged Camorenesi in 2007-2008 and hasn't looked back since. His crosses are the stuff of legend and strike fear into opposing keeper's.
Marco Marchionni (AM R): Marchionni is 29 and is a strong backup midfield winger for Gasbarroni, roughly on the level of Gavilan, although I place more trust in his offensive abilities than I do Gavilan's.
Tomas Rosicky (AM LC): This 29 year old Czech was originally intended to be the replacement for Nedved, but the acquisition of Guardado rendered that point moot. He still possesses the unquestionable talent to star for this side, the problem is finding a position for him on the pitch.
Alberto Bueno (AM/F C): I picked up this 21 year old Spaniard from Real Madrid on a free transfer. Looks as if he could develop into a promising striker given time and opportunity, or failing that, turn a tidy profit.
Sebastian Giovinco (AM/F C): This 23 year old Italian striker will be a star someday given the opportunity. Although crowded up-top I am committed to finding time for him to shine. He is nearly flawless technically and strong mentally and physically.

S's

Fabrizio Miccoli (F C): He's just recently turned 30, but this Italian striker can still bring it with the best of them. Although he's a solid backup striker, I will likely look to move him soon as I have a bit of a backlog at the position and he can still bring 8 million in return.
Michael Owen (S C): He's 30 as well, but forms a deadly striking partnership with Trezeguet when both are healthy, giving me two of the most-feared strikers in the world. I could hardly believe when I was able to pick him up on a free-transfer to replace the retiring Del Piero.
Michele Paolucci (S C): This 24 year old Italian initally looked to have more promise than Giovinco but he has not lived up to the lofty expectations I had for him. With his value likely at a high he is a candidate to be moved in the near future.
Thiago Ribeiro (S C): Another 23 year old Brazillian, he was my latest foreign player signing. He is still refining his technical skills but shows the promise of someday being a class act for Juventus.

**** (I WILL NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED DYNASTY-STYLE POSTS)****