Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Go Buffalo!

Hey, everyone, with the new update on BBCF, I decided to start a regular dynasty using the game.

I wanted to start somewhere small, so I went with Buffalo in the Mid American conference. I will do everything, but I will probably let my assistants handle the gameplan and training and academics. I am very hands on with recruiting, though.

It has been a while since I played, so it should be fun to see me remember what the hell I am doing.

I am going with the Bowl season, so this should be like the BCS.

A look at the team and the schedule coming up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have a starting Prestige of 25, which is pretty piss poor. My incoming recruits for this initial class is 87th in the country, so also pretty poor.

We are projected for 11th place in the 12 team MAC, so apparently I have really picked a great spot to start. I know the MAC is split into two divisions, but I haven't seen how that plays out yet. Probably after I make my budget and gameplan decisions, I can delve into that a little more.

The board seems to acknowledge we'll be bad this year, and it looks like they think we'll be lucky to win more than 2-3 games. They would really like us to beat UConn, who are our rivals (didn't know that, is that for real?).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
They would really like us to beat UConn, who are our rivals (didn't know that, is that for real?).

It's definitely not true, but Connecticut doesn't have a real football rival, at this point. Historically, they had a good rivalry with Yale, but they don't play anymore. I think what happened is that when programming the rivalries, these two teams were somewhat geographically close, and didn't have a true rivalry, so it was just a sort of default.

I have edited the pstats to make Buffalo's rival Eastern Michigan, and Connecticut's rival Syracuse. I just think that makes a lot more sense.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
It's definitely not true, but Connecticut doesn't have a real football rival, at this point. Historically, they had a good rivalry with Yale, but they don't play anymore. I think what happened is that when programming the rivalries, these two teams were somewhat geographically close, and didn't have a true rivalry, so it was just a sort of default.

I have edited the pstats to make Buffalo's rival Eastern Michigan, and Connecticut's rival Syracuse. I just think that makes a lot more sense.

That would make sense to me, too. Oh well, in this timespan, UConn and Buffalo are rivals. Bulls can beat the crap out of Huskies, anyway.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Roster breakdown

OFFENSE (projected starter in bold)

QB

Jimmie Williams, SR (6-6, 210)
Tim Ogden, JR (6-4, 205)
Bill Berry, FR (6-0, 176)
Floyd Torrey, SR (6-4, 208)
Tim Zellars, FR (6-0, 170)
Marcus Bowdell, SO (6-2, 207)

I am told Williams is my guy. I'm not so sure. Williams can make things happen with his feet and is decent with the arm, but Ogden is a classic pocket passer with better accuracy, touch, arm strengthm instincts and upside. None of the others are anything special. Berry has some upside.

RB

Isaac Mason, SR (5-10, 197)
Jermaine Trumpy, JR (5-11, 187)
Jerry Adams, FR (5-9, 170)
Jeff Kent, FR (5-11, 174)
Mike Finlen, SO (5-10, 198)

I have a lot of crap here. Mason is the best blocker and receiver, but the least agile and speedy. Trumpy is the best athlete and very instinctual. Adams is the only one with upside, and he seems to be second best at everything.

FB

Dave Lawrence, JR (6-1, 215)
Frank Washington, JR (6-0, 202)
Jim Reese, JR (6-0, 202)

Not a very impressive group. Lawrence and Washington are close to interchangeable. Both can run and block a bit, but neither are good receivers. Reese is very much behind them.

WR

Glenn Butz, JR (5-10, 168)
Jess Lloyd, SR (6-4, 202)
Tee Green, FR (5-10, 175)
Norman Betts, FR (6-5, 175)
Tony Carruth, SR (5-10, 181)
Kevin Truluck, FR (6-5, 184)

There is actually a touch of talent here, at least by the standards I have seen so far. Butz is a vert solid player, and the clear #1. He has the best hands, route running and athleticism. The game lists Lloyd as the starter, but it is far from clear cut. Green has the best upside, and is the second best athlete after Butz. Truluck also has upside. I have enough options here (and less running), I may go with a spread offense.

TE

Rich Lewis, SR (6-3, 229)
Tim Lorenti, SO (6-2, 218)
Scott Lansford, SO (6-6, 246)
Karl Jacobs, FR (6-3, 232)

Very little jumped out at me about this group. No one really stands out, and no one is much good. They are all particularly weak at blocking.

OT

Keith George, SR (6-7, 291)
Woody Hill, FR (6-7, 285)
Dan Weese, FR (6-5, 302)
Roshaun Lattner, FR (6-8, 280)
Corey Green, JR (6-5, 290)
Johnny Knight, SR (6-0, 308)
Hoyle Davey, FR (6-2, 304)

Interesting mix of talent here. There is a lot of pass blocking skills here, which translates well if I go to a spread style. George is the brute strength, instinctive guy. Hill seems to be a potential future star. Weese has upside as well, although he could be held back by a surprising lack of strength for a guy his size. Green is the best combo pass/run blocker in the group.

OG

Taylor Felt, SR (6-1, 302)
Wandy Jackson, SO (6-3 278)
Ray Brown, FR (6-0, 269)
Jeff Little, SO (6-5, 279)
Bob Polamalu, FR (6-6, 268)

Not an awe-inspiring group. Felt is a relative stud, and looks to be my best lineman. Still, he is a senior and will soon be gone. Jackson and Polamalu have upside, but neither look to ready right now. They all seem very undersized. I may take from depth at OT and try to move a guy here.

C

Javon Finney, SR (6-5, 295)
Rich Harris, JR (6-1, 283)
Nu Brackett, JR (6-6, 280)

Finney is okay, but not great. He's the only one of three who is more of a pass blocker. We don't have real good fits or talent at this position.

DEFENSE

DE

Kaseem Sanders, JR (6-2, 287)
Anthony Brooks, SR (6-1, 252)
Greg Chapman, FR (6-3, 263)
Greg Betts, SO (6-8, 253)
Dwight Zellner, FR (6-8, 250)

Sanders is going to make a lot of QBs nervous, but the talent drop after him is precipitous. Brooks has some quickness, but is sub-skilled. Chapman has athleticism and upside, but not sure he is ready now. Betts is supposed to have upside, but he is pathetically weak. And Zellner looks like deadweight.

DT

Jeff Holden, JR (6-2, 289)
Bruce Adams, SR (6-1, 275)
Louie Lamonica, FR (6-1, 283)
Steve Moffett, FR (6-4, 282)

Wow, and I thought end was bad. At least that group has Sanders. We are undersized, undertalented and just crappy here. Moffett has a future, but I may be forced to start him ahead of schedule.

ILB

Fred Moore, SR (6-1, 233)
George Smith, SO (6-2, 226)
Charlie Marshall, JR (5-10, 234)
Mike Jennings, FR (5-9, 210)
Kenny Snyder, SO (5-11, 219)
Jack Ellis, JR (6-2, 218)

This position presents me with an enigma. Moore is solid and can be a lone middle backer. But my defensive front is so weak, it would make sense to run a 3-4. But that does two things; it possibly bogs up Sanders underneath, and it exposes our lack of talent after Moore on the inside. But going with a 4-3 puts us at a serious disadvantage at DT. I figure Moore solo and an active Sanders is the best thing for the D, but wow this is an unimpressive group. Look at the last three-- 210, 219 and 218? Hit the weights boys.

OLB

Al McKinnis, SO (6-0, 244)
Shawn Gragg, JR (5-11, 222)
Jim Sharpe, SO (5-10, 227)
Kyle Crockett, FR (6-2, 212)
Elton Caldwell, FR (5-11, 202)

Not sure what to make of this group. McKinnis is the best overall player, and he has a lot of upside. He should get all the chances on the strong side. On the other side, I like Sharpe's skill set right now, and Crockett is a speed rusher and coverage guy who could be a good fit on the weakside. It's not a great spot, but I have already seen worse.

CB

Dan Harris, SR (6-1, 175)
Ron Tarkenton, SO (5-8, 157)
Tony Sands, SO (5-11, 177)
Renaldo Miller, JR (5-9, 179)
Mitch Paremore, FR (5-10, 171)
Bob Dunn, SO (6-0, 172)

The top three guys are stunningly lacking in speed. This is definitely an attribute to be upgraded. Harris is a fine cover back with very good quickness and instincts, but he can't cover a fly route. Tarkenton is Harris without the cover skills, quickness or instincts. Sands is even slower. Miller and Paremore are more athletic, and Paremore might need to step in right away. He has the best upside, and has speed the others don't.

FS

Ellis Denman, SO (6-3, 183)
Warren Hill, FR (5-10, 159)
Ray Adams, JR (6-0, 170)

Denman is the future and the starter here. He has already a very solid coverage safety with decent tackling ability and athleticism. Hopefully he can improve all around and be a star in the secondary, as his upside suggests. Neither Hill nor Adams are adequate replacements.

SS

Frank Smith, SR (5-9, 189)
Lamar Lee, SO (6-0, 180)
Brian Keckin, SO (5-10, 180)

This is a very unimpressive group. Smith is mediocre at best and he far outpaces the others.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: Branden Neil, SO (5-10, 208), Jimmy Jones, FR (6-4, 207)
P: Jerry Cuozzo, SR (5-11, 183), Ray Hawkins, SO (5-9, 185)

This is not an outstanding area, but I can't afford to put too much resources here yet. Neil is most accurate field goal kicker, but Jones has the boomer for kickoffs. Cuozzo and Hawkins are practically interchangeable.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

You have to start Trumpy cuz he rimes with Pumpy!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
You have to start Trumpy cuz he rimes with Pumpy!

Maybe I'll start him for homecoming next year when he's a senior.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:30 AM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have a very limited budget. I choose to mazimize my recruiting in the Atlantic East (my area) and the Midwest (most of the rest of the MAC). One or the other regions seems to present me with a level of recruit I can look at at key positions.

I maxed out recruiting for both lines, linebackers and defensive backs, along with running backs.

I didn't make any changes to the money devoted to advance scouting, strength & conditioning, etc. I just can't afford that right now unfortunately.

I went with the middle Atlantic East scouting service option, Brothers Scouting.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am going with the Run N' Gun on offense to take advantage of current personnel. For the same reason, I am going with the 4-3, although in this case it is to avoid being taken advantage of at my weak spots.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Generally, I will play one big squad and a couple small fries in my schedule (noting the small fries are likely on a par with myself).

I succeed in this right off. I will start against #22 Minnesota, and I agreed to home-and-homes with Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State. Both of the latter are at our place this year, so I may schedule another small team next year as my third opponent, since I will be playing Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State on the road.

Here is my schedule, which is rated 117th (yup, right there near the bottom).

Wk 1: @ #22 Minnesota
Wk 2: vs. Florida Atlantic
Wk 3: **bye**
Wk 4: vs. Toledo
Wk 5: vs. Ball State
Wk 6: @ Bowling Green
Wk 7: @ Kent State
Wk 8: **bye**
Wk 9: vs. Akron
Wk 10: @ Miami-Ohio
Wk 11: @ Western Michigan
Wk 12: vs. Ohio
Wk 13: vs. Arkansas State
Wk 14: **bye**
Wk 15: @Connecticut

As you can see, I tried to schedule it with some well-placed byes before the conference season, in the middle of the conference season and before the rivalry game at UConn. Half of my games are at home and half on the road.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My starting lineup:

QB Tim Ogden
RB Isaac Mason
FB Dave Lawrence
WR Glenn Butz
WR Tony Carruth
TE Rich Lewis
LT Keith George
LG Taylor Felt
C Javon Finney
RG Wandy Jackson
RT Woody Hill

WR3 Tee Green
WR4 Jess Lloyd

Offense: Since I went with the Run N Gun, I turned to Ogden as my best pure pocket passer. No other real surprises here. It's more likely Green and Lloyd will be on the field than Lawrence and Lewis.

DE Kaseem Sanders (also Pass DE)
DT Jeff Holden
DT Steve Moffett
DE Greg Chapman
SLB Al McKinnis
MLB Fred Moore (also Nickel LB)
WLB Kyle Crockett
CB Dan Harris
CB Mitch Paremore
FS Ellis Denman
SS Frank Smith

NCB Lamar Lee
DCB Ray Adams

Defense: No surprises here. I decided to go with Crockett on the weakside, Paremore at the speed corner, Chapman at right end, and Moffett up front to give some freshmen talent some playing time. I need Sanders, Moore, McKinnis, Harris and the safeties to carry this team.

K: Brandon Neil
P: Jerry Cuozzo

I redshirted QB Bill Berry, WR Kevin Truluck and OT Hoyle Davey, all of whom I have hopes to contribute in the future.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Preseason Poll

1. Michigan
2. Texas
3. Purdue
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. USC
7. Penn State
8. Georgia
9. Florida
10. Miami
11. Florida State
12. Ohio State
13. Nebraska
14. Oklahoma State
15. Virginia Tech
16. Notre Dame
17. Auburn
18. Michigan State
19. Boston College
20. LSU
21. Texas A&M
22. Minnesota
23. Mississippi
24. Maryland
25. Washington

Wow, they really think the Big Ten is going to kill this year.

Game of the week is USC vs Notre Dame (yup, Week One). We play at #22 Minnesota, where we are 20 pt dogs.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:05 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Minnesota 32, Buffalo 0

We actually played this tougher at the start than you would expect, forcing Minnesota to punt two of their first three drives in the first quarter, and just a field goal on the third. But our offense was miserable, with two three-and-outs and an interception to end the quarter.

After allowing two more field goals (one off of the turnover) in the second quarter, we suddenly spring to life with a 66 yard burner from Ogden to Carruth. That gets us into Minnesota red zone territory, but Ogden throws his second pick of the game. We go into the half down three field goals.

The second half opened up badly when our kick was returned 98 yards to our 4 yard line. They punched it in after that, and failed a two-point, putting us down 15-0. We also lost our best playmaker in Butz on the first series after that, and he doesn't return. Ogden throws his third pick after that, and we get the ball back on a fumble on the next play. Ogden has a good series for a bit, but then on a key third down play at midfield, he steps a yard over the LOS, and we have to punt. When we get the ball back after a defensive stop, Ogden throws his fourth pick on a 50 yard bomb! Sheesh, somebody save this guy! On the following drive, Minnesota goes for a fake punt at their 42, and we read it well and stuff it to take over. Our drive starts well, but stalls when Lewis is called for offensive PI, setting up a long distance shot that Ogden of course throws for his fifth pick. Still, it's just 15-0 going into the fourth.

Their QB was killing us with his legs and his arms and he hooked up on a 62-yarder to our one yard line. They soon got it in, and led 22-0. We go three and out, but McKinnis forces a fumble on the next drive and returns it to about midfield. This is just cruel, though. Ogden throws another pick, and then they throw a 57-yard bomb for the nail in the coffin. On the next drive, Ogden completes a 15-yarder and a 45-yarder to Carruth, and Mason runs for 16 yards to the MINN 2. After several short chances extended by a defensive holding, reserve QB Williams throws an INT, and our seventh of the day to kill our scoring chance. Ogden wasn't injured, so the staff must have gone with Williams as garbage time (although he should have been allowed to finish the drive, I think). Minnesota adds a last field goal on the next drive, and Williams leads us on a nice drive, but takes the knee at the end without scoring. We lose badly, 32-0.

We allowed 573 yards of total offense to MIN, including 248 yards on the ground at a 5.4 clip. We had 305 yards ourselves, but only 35 rushing at 1.3 YPC. We also had the seven turnovers, ouch.

Ogden went 11-for-29 for 221 yards, while Williams was a much more accurate 7-for-9 with 49 yards. Carruth was a stud, catching four balls for 151 yards. Their QB threw for 325 and ran for another 71. We allowed six sacks, three by Jackson at RG. Moore, Smith and Denman had six solo tackles each, and Moore defended three passes. MCkinnis had a good showing with 5 tackles and the fumble play, and Sanders made his presence felt at the end with a sack and three hurries.

Butz hurt his hamstring, but it appears he will be able to play through it.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:17 AM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was a nice week for the MAC, as Central Michigan beat #23 Mississippi 24-10, and Ball State went to Nebraska and stunned the #13 team 20-17.

#16 Notre Dame beat #6 USC at home, 34-28.

The new poll:

1. Michigan
2. Texas (1-0)
3. Purdue
4. Oklahoma (1-0)
5. Wisconsin (1-0)
6. Penn State (1-0)
7. Georgia
8. Florida
9. Miami (1-0)
10. Notre Dame (1-0)
11. USC (0-1)
12. Florida State
13. Ohio State
14. Oklahoma State (1-0)
15. Virginia Tech (1-0)
16. Auburn (1-0)
17. Michigan State (1-0)
18. Nebraska (0-1)
19. Boston College
20. LSU
21. Texas A&M (1-0)
22. Minnesota (1-0)
23. Maryland (1-0)
24. Washington (1-0)
25. Texas Tech (1-0)

Mississippi dropped out of the poll with the Central Michigan loss, and Texas Tech entered at #25 after crushing Southern Miss, 44-0.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Three players are interested in visiting us for our Florida Atlantic game next week, a CB, a QB and a DE, all two-star rated and none too special. Still, I can't be picky right now. I decide to bring in DE Sean Smith, as he is at a need position and is the highest rated of the three (#1493 overall).

It is the first week for academics, and we have 80 hours on the season. Key players on the warning list right now are starting OL George, Finney and Jackson, McKinnis at OLB, Paremore at CB and my top two backs.

I will go with Ogden against Florida Atlantic still, because I need to see how he does against a non-Top 25 team before I can go with Williams. No lineup changes to be made. I am hopeful Butz will not suffer too much from his hamstring injury.

FAU is 0-1 after losing a close one to Iowa State, 29-26, last week.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

There are some big games around the country this week:

#13 Ohio State at #4 Oklahoma
#12 Florida State at #7 Georgia
#15 Virginia Tech at #20 LSU
Tennessee at #9 Miami
#6 Penn State at #21 Texas A&M
UCLA at #2 Texas
Mississippi at #5 Wisconsin

Preseason #1 Michigan also opens its schedule with a home date against Rutgers.

We are two point favorites over FAU at home.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:09 AM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FAU 23, Buffalo 20

Heartbreak! We played a lot better this week, although it went for naught.

After stopping FAU on three plays to start the game, we scored our first points with a field goal on our first drive. We stop them again and go on another solid drive, but this time, Neil misses a 42-yarder. Neither side does much the rest of the first quarter, although we are bruising their QB with four sacks already.

We let them in, though, with poor offensive execution, an average pass and a good return for them. They do nothing on the ensuing drive, but because they started at our 34, their K converts a 49-yarder to tie it up. Our offense has returned to stalling a lot, and they drive for another field goal to take the lead. We exchange some more punts, but with time ticking down on the half, we sack them two more times and force a punt from deep in their red zone. They get only 30 yards and allow an 18 yard return, so we start on their 16! After Ogden pulls us close with a 12 yard screen to Mason, Williams comes on to take the credit and throws our first touchdown on a two-yard screen to backup FB Washington. We go into the half up, 10-6.

We let FAU back in it immediately in the third quarter. Ogden throws a pick on the first drive, and then we allow a big pass play to get them close to our end zone. They score on a run to go ahead, 13-10. We suffer a couple of bad losses late in the third quarter when our best LB Moore is hurt, and Butz hurts himself again. Neither will return today. Not much offense in this quarter, but we end it on a drive.

We come close to reaching the zone near the start of the fourth quarter, but settle for a short FG to tie it up. FAU is quick to respond, with two big pass plays. Their QB Wright runs it in from two yards out to put them back ahead, 20-13. I am beginning to wonder if we can get a score to tie it up when suddenly Ogden throws a stunning 44-yard score to Lloyd, tying it up.

FAU is driving to score the gamewinner when we have them in a tough 3rd & 11 at our 37 and only two minutes left in the game. Wright scrambles for a 5-yarder, and we think they will punt--but, no! The refs have flagged Sanders for offsides. On the next play, Wright throws a 21-yarder completion, and they kick a chip shot 19-yarder for the win as time ticks off to final.

Neither team impressed on offense, with 306 total yards for them and 274 for us. Our pass rush was phenomenal, sacking Wright 9 times! But our offense stalled at the wrong times, and we lost a very winnable game.

Ogden played better, with a higher completion rate and 194 yards and the score, with Williams also getting his score. Mason only got 62 yards, at 2.8 per carry. Not good. Before getting hurt, Moore was dominating, with 7 tkls, 3 sacks and 2 passes D'd. Bookend rushers Sanders and Chapman each had two sacks.

Moore and Butz are both fine and will be available for our next game.