Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

GO COUGARS!: A RL Youth Football Dynasty

This is the story of the Twin City Cougars. Team, color, Age bracket, and Super Bowl championship yet to be determined.

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This off season has been rather crazy. First, our league decided to name each team the Cougars for easier branding of the league. While I'm disappointed not to have the Vols again, I support the decision. If I could only get more of my ideas across now...

Up until three weeks ago I was confident I would be the offensive coordinator of one of the 11/12 Cougars. With the new draft rule that we could protect five players, things were looking rather good for me. I was attached with some good coaches and players...those with brothers that would technically give us 8-9 players after the protection phase. Sure, it would be like not drafting until Day 2 in the NFL, but knowing we had 8 kids before it started is kind of an advantage. Our schemes were already in place and we've spent more than one day working with a few of them on what we wanted to do.

Then the coach with the 9/10 talent stocked up was named offensive coordinator at the local high school. This coach, as it turned out, is Reece G's dad. GO VOLS!: A RL Youth Football Dynasty - Front Office Football Central See posts 23 and 31, I believe. Reece's dad coached an undefeated season in the 11/12s last season with Reece's older brother being quite honestly the best 12 year old I've ever seen play football. His brother was quite honestly the Boobie Miles of the TCYFA last season, without the crippling injury. I ended up talking quite a bit with Reece's dad in February and helped a few weeks back at his speed camp. I'm now in the Circle of Trust as far as that's concerned.

With Reece's dad out of the picture, the 9/10s were in need of a good coach at that level. My name immediately surfaced, as did a friend of the coach who was going to return from a one year hiatus in Hillsboro. Essentially whoever takes over for the coach will inherit the riches of the 9/10 league. You're essentially guaranteed the top 5 players in the league...especially in my position.

I am interested in staying at the 11/12 year old level, to be honest. I encouraged the parents to try and coax the other guy into taking the job. After speaking with the guy personally two days ago and talking it over with my most trusted coach with the 11/12s, I feel it's pretty much a given at this point that I will be the coach of the 9/10 Orange Cougars.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Our camp starts July 14th and should be much more organized at all levels than it was last year. I'm kind of taking the leadership role on that front. I'll be attending a non-contact youth camp next week that is being held by former NFL player Mike Jones. I'm hoping to snag some of my prospective players to take up there to get some work in.

My mind is already whirling and swirling with ideas on what I want to do and how to do it at the 9/10s level...as well as who I will be protecting and overall drafting strategy. Essentially, I would have about 10 quality kids to choose from, including three from my team last season. I can narrow that list down to 7 fairly easily, but that's where the problem begins. Two kids are potentially exposed...and I'm almost certain to lose one or both of them.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Perhaps the biggest obstacle I have right now is figuring out which players to protect. Compounding the issue is the coach that didn't take the team. He continues to waver on if he and his son will be in the program. One day he's hot, the next day he's cold. I would love to just cut the cord and let him loose, but the issue is he's connected with the other boys I'm interested in protecting. In other words, if he's not going to be there...I need it to be his idea. I've planted a few seeds to try and bring that out of him but so far I've had no luck.

His son's a decent athlete. We played them last year and beat them handily. However, he's also trying to have me protect another Hillsboro boy as well. I'm having a tough enough time trying to decide who I will protect out of the boys I know well much less one relatively unknown commodity and one that's completely unknown.

If he doesn't help/his son doesn't play, that frees up a slot for me...a somewhat valuable spot.

Three slots are locked down. Reece, the football coach's dad. Elijah, one of the boys I wanted to protect last year but was unable to do so. Tyler, a great ballplayer who was protected last year before I could even say a word. Reece and Elijah are runners and Tyler's a lineman on offense. They project at end (Reece) and backers on defense.

Things get hairy from there. Assuming the coach isn't there, I have two spots for four kids. Two very good linemen and two kids from last season, Nick C and Bryce C. Nick C was very very good defensively for me and played tight end. He'd likely move to fullback/blocking back this season. Bryce's dad was my top assistant last season and has been very open about wanting to coach with me this season before any of this latest news came down the pike. Of those two, I'd prefer Nick over Bryce. Bryce was my leading rusher last season but would likely be 3rd fiddle in this orchestra. He was also somewhat of a liability as a blocker and defender. Nick wasn't great offensively but was defensively. I'll take his defense.

That leaves the two linemen out in the open...which maybe one might slide through the protection phase...maybe. If that coach IS in the picture, things are even worse for me in that regard.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh the joys of cap management
Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Glad to see this back.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

With John the assistant coach on board (for now), my top five are selected. I think John may not like my fifth selection, Nick C, but he will ultimately have to deal with it. If he balks at the move, I may tell him it's been great, but it may be time to split off to a different team.

That's something I've thought about off and on for the past week or so. My only concern was trying to secure one or two of the three 'studs' (Reece, Elijah, and Tyler), essentially pulling him away from John. After speaking with their parents, I believe I would have both Elijah and Tyler if that happened.

IF it happened, that would put me in a very nice position. I would have Tyler, Elijah, Nick C, and Bryce. My fifth could then be used on a linemen, most likely Logan. Logan's a big kid with potential that played for the Bulldogs last season. I'd be very comfortable with that.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I can't sleep. I'm excited about today.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Good luck!
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Elijah injured his thumb today in our final drill of the day. I think it was just dislocated but they're at the hospital now getting x-rays.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Elijah injured his thumb today in our final drill of the day. I think it was just dislocated but they're at the hospital now getting x-rays.

At least he doesn't have Knoxville-itis (aka an ACL injury).
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Have you heard the latest? Moore out with a broken foot, Jones out due to his wrist surgery this spring.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you heard the latest? Moore out with a broken foot, Jones out due to his wrist surgery this spring.

Crap, didn't know about Moore or Jones. On the bright side (or what passes for one at least), it's not as though the receivers had anyone that could get them the ball anyway so it's not like losing a couple of starters on defense.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Elijah dislocated his thumb and fractured it as well. I'll hopefully have more information tonight.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

John "the assistant" called me less than an hour ago to confirm that his five players were the ones I wanted to protect. When I didn't confirm it, he went on to suggest that he might need to be listed as the head coach. He continued by reaffirming that Elijah and Tyler's parents called him "today" to confirm HE was coaching the kids, not ME. Right, because I haven't spoken with the same parents, ever, right?

I think we may see me split off with my own team or I may rejoin the ranks of the 11-12s. I have some thinking to do and I'm a little too hot under the collar right now to be making decisions.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I didn't confirm it, he went on to suggest that he might need to be listed as the head coach.

I know things with youth sports tend to be pretty screwy but it still just boggles my mind that whatever organization exists that's in charge of a league doesn't have this sort of thing locked down well in advance in order to prevent screwy b.s. like this.

Or the other alternative is that they do and the guy you're dealing with is just batshit crazy.

Yeah, I'm not helping cool your collar any I know but it just leaves me baffled.

I always come away from the various coaching threads here with the same feelings: very happy for the guys who enjoy it and even more convinced that I've done the right thing for myself & everyone around me that I'm resolved to never get anywhere near it ever again. I'd end up in prison with a new friend named Bubba Raheem sure as hell.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm with Jon on this issue.

The way you've described your league being run is so divorced from my experience with youth sports and I'm just glad that I haven't had to put up with the BS that you do.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think Bryce's dad has me ready to fight the power and coach my own 9 and 10s team. We may lose to their squad, but screw 'em.

Didn't realize the video sucked. Oh well. House's Fight the Power was awesome.

Last edited by Poli : 07-15-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

All anger and bitterness aside, yesterday's camp was smooth. The 60 campers were divided evenly into three groups and sent to agility stations and rotated on my whistle every 15 minutes. The other two head coaches had a station each and the third was manned by Brian and a volunteer. John, in his infinite wisdom, just sat back watched and talked with select parents. Don't worry, John. We don't need your help anyway.

After the agility stations, we worked on defensive positions, the three agility stations became defensive line, linebacker, and defensive back stations. Again we rotated through in 15 minute increments and we were out with about 5 minutes to spare.

Today's practice was to be more game like, with games like tug of war, deer hunter, Hawaiian football...but rain chased us off. As I type this out, the skies have since cleared, the sun is out. That was a great call by the staff.

My mind changes about every 5 minutes on what I want to do. I haven't decided yet, and think I need to hold off through the weekend.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I helped with equipment handout on Saturday. During that process, I spoke with Reece's dad. During our talk, he mentioned that it would be "great to use" his terminology for the kids so that they get used to it and spoke briefly about the spread offense concept.

That just about seals the deal for me. Assistant or not, I'm not allowing him to tell me what offense to run, much less what terminology to use.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #21
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think it sounds like Reece's dad is going to have to learn some of the terminology that you use, such as F*&! You.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Gone: My girlfriend.

The lesson to be learned here? I love football. Don't stand in my way.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Holy shit, rough couple of weeks for you. Shithead assistants, Girlfriend leaving (The Coaching trail is littered with stories of wifes/girlfriends that can't deal with what we love to do unfortunately)

The way your league does things really baffles me as well. Through my High School travels I have encountered/worked with youth leagues in three different states and have never experienced anything close to what you discribe with youth programs.

There will never be a perfect system, but Ute conference in Utah comes as about as close as I have seen. It is really pretty simple. All teams are divided by the High School boundaries the kids live in. They wear the High School colors and all go by the High School Mascot.

The leagues are broken down into 3 classifications based on enrollment numbers, sinilar to the 4A, 5A etc system. For areas that get 80-100 kids at each age group they select A, B, C teams and those teams play a schedule against other teams of that level.

There is a rule where an extremely small kid can play down an age level based on weight (Z rule) but apart from that you play with your own age and kids over a certain weight can only play interior line and are designated by an X on the back of their helmets.

Obviously there will still be address fudging here and there and some tomfoolery, but nothing like you are going through buddy. FWIW we have three leagues in Arizona (Pop Warner, NYS and AZCFL)

AZCFL is a "competitive" league and basically you recruit players. It is what it is, but at least they are up front about it.

NYS is a year round league, which I detest for a couple of reasons. They allow kids up to 16 (sophomores in HS) to play and don't prohibit HS players from playing, which the other 2 leagues do. The problem here is we would have to forfeit games if we had a player that was doing both during our official season, and last year actually had to remove one from the team after we found out...luckily with no ramifications. We tell the parents of incoming freshmen MANY times they can't do this, so make a choice. I am sure it will still come up this year.

The 2nd thing I hate is that it is year round. This is fucking stupid IMO. Football is a sport you need recovery time from, especially as a teenager and to play full contact in three different sessions during the year is murder on the body. In addition to that, we have had kids under the age limit that play in the spring, which is allowed because we are out of season. The issue here is they should be working out with us and preparing their bodies for the pounding to come, not breaking it down even more. It is just lose-lose.

Pop Warner has the best intentions, but there are always lots of scandals with address fudging, altering pads so players make weight each week and other nonsense. Pop Warner also has boundaries, but allows 2 608's (Out of area players) for each team. So you also have coaches trying to steal players from other teams to take their 608 spots.

Man I love youth sports sometimes. It may seem hard to believe, but coaching at the high school level you encounter about 1/10th of the headaches that you would deal with in youth sports.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-22-2009 at 07:05 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting stuff when you describe a system such as Utah's. Georgia youth football is a hodgepodge with little to no regulation as far as I've ever been able to tell.

My 9 y/o nephew just complete a week of camp (an erstwhile combine of sorts best I've been able to figure out) in preparation for the assignment to rec league 9/10 fall ball.

I ain't gonna lie, I've kind of got issues with putting 9 y/o's in full pads for several hours a day in Georgia in July but, well, he ain't my kid so I don't get any say on that.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I ain't gonna lie, I've kind of got issues with putting 9 y/o's in full pads for several hours a day in Georgia in July but, well, he ain't my kid so I don't get any say on that.

It is brutal at any age, let alone 9...I find it hard to believe they are in full pads already.

We start conditioning for incoming freshmen next Tuesday. They will be 4 days in shorts and a t-shirt. Starting the Monday after Helmets for three days, then shells for two, before we go into full pads the 2nd week of August. Thankfully we have never had a heat related incident of any consequence at the schools I have coached at and that is a big concern anywhere. It will likely by in the 106 - 112 range our first 2-3 weeks of practice.

We don't even have water breaks per se, but instead have 4-5 girls that constantly shuttle water on and off the field so our kids can drink between reps in drills or between plays. We give them a "shade" break about every 15-20 mins, which 100+ shade is still hot, but it gets them out of direct sun for a couple of minutes. Quite honestly I hate the first 3 weeks of practice, but always keep that smile on my face
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

60 kids signed up for 9-10s at this point, and the number will grow. It appears we'll have a 4th team at this point. 64 is the magic number here.

7-8s...42. To support a third team for them we'd need 48.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It is brutal at any age, let alone 9...I find it hard to believe they are in full pads already.

Shocked me too, but it was last Mon-Tue in shorts, Wed in helmets, Thu-Fri in full pads (confirmed since they made a significant deal to the kids about getting practice pants before next week so as not to mess up their uniforms for game day and because there was much hoohah about them going to pants with integrated pads instead of the traditional kind after many of the single mothers complained about dealing with the old school kind.

I gathered that the thought was since a number of the players were true rookies, they wanted to see them hit & be hit at full speed before doing team assignments and to allow coaches to hit the ground running with their teams this week.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I had an irate parent yelling at me about lightning in the area during part of our practice. What can I do? I'm not the field's safety rep.

We did take 30 minutes off eventually as a storm blew over...essentially ruining the practice as we had a tough time getting combine scores on wet index cards.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
we had a tough time getting combine scores on wet index cards.

C'mon coach, clipboards with a plastic top sheet & you have a lot less of a problem. Get with it
Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #30
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It wasn't really for me, it was for the other coaches. I already know who I'm taking.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #31
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm going to be a little surprised if we don't end up with 70 kids signed up by next week.

Last edited by Poli : 07-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #32
Poli
FOFC Survivor

With 72 kids, we're now four teams deep. I will gladly take the fourth team...although to try and keep my hands clean the league president is stepping in to "force" the decision. That saves me from a possible blackballing by the high school's offensive coordinator from coaching at the high school level at some point.

This frees me up to start doing things like Frank Sinatra: My Way.

Protected players: Bryce C. Logan B. Nick C. Brennan P. and Trent L.

Bryce, Nick, and Logan have been talked about previously. Brennan is a top 9 year old that didn't play last year. He comes highly recommended and is the son of the defensive coordinator at the high school.

Trent is an intriguing prospect. He hasn't played football but is clearly a gifted athlete. John the former assistant was hoping to slide him in as his first round selection after the protected players...under the guise that Trent has no other way to practice than with John.

I can and will blow that up as Nick C's parents live in that area and Nick's oldest brother will be an assistant coach for me this season. John will protect Trent and give up one of his other players or I will take Trent. If Trent's dad plays the "I'll take my kid out of the league" card, I will force him to do so and take someone else in the process.

I won't allow what happened last year to happen again. Besides, it's in my team's best interest as well as the league's to not allow someone to skirt the rules like that.

Play fair, John, or go home.

Last edited by Poli : 07-31-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm a tad lost, do you end up with the team you thought you had or with a different team? I think what's throwing me off here is the protected players list you mentioned, are those kids you've coached in the past or kids that have played together in the past but not under you?

(Sorry if I'm asking what should be obvious, the ol' synapses don't fire as quick as they used to over here I'm afraid)
Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #34
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The team I envisioned would have included Nick C and Logan B. I won't have Reece, Elijah, or Tyler. I think Bryce will do just fine, though.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #35
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After seeing Trent in pads, I'm fairly certain he is no longer on my protected list. Instead, I will likely take Sean M, the other big lineman I was considering.

We pulled numbers out of a hat for the draft positions today as well. The ORANGE COUGARS have the first pick overall. John, the former assistant, is in 4th and really screwed in the long run for that as well.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #36
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've got a lot of work to do tonight, but I hope to update this later tonight as well.

There was a dream crushed tonight...and I like to think, heck I KNOW I crushed it.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The update will have to wait. I'm tired after entering a ton of data in my excel sheets.

I'll give you the drama that happened tomorrow.

Tomorrow is also our draft. I can't wait to crush a few more dreams.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #38
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yesterday's practice was informative. I didn't necessarily need to see more hitting. I needed times for my excel sheet. Of the 78 kids that were available, we had about 45 there for times. Our first hour was dedicated to hitting. The second hour became our combine time.

Steve and his assistant Rob did 20 and 10 yard dashes. I sent Bryan over to help Roger with two types of ladder drills. I ran the box drill on my own. John was on his own. Screw him.

Afterward, John kind of started poking around to ask what was going on. Sorry, bud. Didn't think you'd be interested in helping since you never helped before.

While we were together after practice, we had to make our "protected" players official. John, being the nice, smug guy that he is, rattles of his kids. John then starts challenging me, Steve, and Roger about obtaining parent permission for our protected players.

Ooh, that really sounds great, John. Let me see...I helped put the rules together and...yep, we didn't make that a requirement. Sorry bud.

"Oh well, their parents said they'd really like their son to play for me." Really? Well, they can suck an egg.

"So that's not a requirement?" Nope, if you'd read your rules, you'd know that. Good luck with your team, pal.

Shocked and clearly not happy, John departs, stage left.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #39
Poli
FOFC Survivor

John calls me this morning asking about how I planned on using Brennan. I figured he was looking for an angle so I fed him a line.

I told him, just between you and me, I'm not sold on Bryce being an every down back and kind of want Brennan there to help shoulder the load and that I was kind of counting on that.

Of course, that's not true. I'd like to use Brennan as a runner, but more to complement Bryce than anything.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #40
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My fifth protected player turned out to be a big lineman by the name of Kevin L. I like Trent but I just couldn't risk him being one of my top picks. Kevin helps flesh out the single wing line.

That's right baby, it's single wing football. I'm converting. I'm sold that it'll be easier to run than the double wing and just as fun.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
Poli
FOFC Survivor

FYI, these are the scores of my protected kids, according to the Poli Assessment Test (PAT). The lower the better.

Logan B: 2.94. In the 10 year olds, Logan had the 2nd best score behind Tyler S.

Bryce C: 3.26. Bryce is 5th in the 10 year olds with that.

Kevin L: 4.69. 8th overall.

Nick C: 6.17. 10th overall.

Brennan P did not have enough data to rate a score...however, I'm certain he would have finished in the top 3.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Stacy T is officiating the draft. Stacy was my team mom from last season, Nick T's mom.

With our first pick, we add our third lineman to the team. It was of little surprise. I had already told the other three coaches that would happen. Dylan R has really nice size and power. Dylan, Logan, and Kevin will put fear into other teams as we run 16 Power. Dylan's PAT, 3.94, was better than both Kevin and Nick's. Fortunately I could draft Dylan before he went to anyone else.

I'm a little surprised at what happens next. Due to protected players and such, four players left the board. While all four were good, none were rated better than my next pick, Alan D.

Alan D's PAT of 5.94 was better than Nick's as well. Nick's dad ought to be thankful. I'm a big fan of Nick and I'm virtually a part of the family as it is, so I'm happy to have Nick as well. Alan played center for the Bulldogs last season and adds to my already massive line. He steps in at center for me as well. I have no idea why two of the kids that were taken went ahead of Alan.

I've created my own run on linemen and I love it. Every single lineman that was on John's "MUST HAVE" list for linemen (created before any of us began protecting players) were suddenly gone. John took one of them, Rodger took three of them, and I took four. Sorry, sucker.

I've got four linemen and three backs at this point and I'm very happy.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #43
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After taking Alan, I'm forced to sit and watch five more kids leave the board. Trent is one (no surprise), but two others definitely surprise me. Both surprises were minimum play type kids last season. I thought one improved, but definitely not to this level. The other? Whew, I'm glad I don't have to deal with that headache.

What hurts is when Steve takes Noah M the pick before me. I had just whispered to Bryan that it was vitally important to take Noah next...only to see Steve take him. Steve, of course, knows that I coached Noah last year and that I'm tight with the family. The room erupts, as well as it can with eight people in it, in laughter. Steve threatens to hold him ransom for Alan D. Not a chance, I tell him, I'd rather explain that I couldn't make the trade to his dad.

I figure Steve's going to eventually give on him and tell Bryan we'll take a player Steve would likely want in place of Noah.

Since I have the next two selections, I get to work. I take Tyler K and Amari F. They're both projects and trade fodder for Noah.

Tyler is a tall, lanky kid. His PAT score wasn't very good at all, but he's new to football and most likely the drills as well. Compounding the issue, Tyler didn't have practice pants and couldn't hit Thursday. If he's 100 lbs or under, I'm hoping to have him benefit from the offensive line by playing him at right end. If he's not, welcome to left guard.

Amari is fast but also in his first year of football. Amari also forgot his pants and actually left practice since he couldn't hit...despite me telling him we'd be doing sprint work the second half of practice. Most definitely my preferred fodder for Noah, I'm not a fan of Amari leaving after me giving him a reason to stay. Amari didn't have a PAT score.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #44
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Steve follows my picks with a solid lineman in my opinion. Our league is littered with first year kids but I really liked this one. I was hoping he might slide another round or two.

Nick T goes to Roger's team with the next pick. I should be commended for my award-winning performance as I break off into a faux-rant about Nick and Noah being taken. In reality, Roger and I had already planned for him to take Nick at that very spot. We both knew John would try to get me to pay a king's ransom for Nick, despite the fact Nick isn't really all that good. Still, Roger and I agreed that John would definitely try it and Roger offered to help me out.

Still, my rant was definitely awesome. Stacy was in on it as well and gave Roger this...look. It helped sell it.

John then takes Ashanti T, thus eliminating one of my headaches from last season. Ashanti's heavier now and will have to play the line. Too bad he absolutely loathes blocking.

A few more kids leave the field, none of which I particularly wanted. Operation Find Kids for Nick T begins. I take Abraham K and Clayton S. \

Abe is most definitely a lineman, putting me up to 6 potentially. Another first year kid, he definitely impressed Roger and I hoped that he would be enough to swing Nick T. Abe actually finished right behind Tyler in the PAT.

I'm hoping Clayton can be an end for the team. Relatively decent numbers...he was 11th overall in the PAT of the kids available. Part of that was me liking his aggressiveness.

7 potential linemen and 4 backs. I love this game.

Last edited by Poli : 07-31-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #45
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The 10 year old pickings are getting slim here in the 10th round. John gets desperate and drafts a kid that no one had ever seen. I have to wonder if that wasn't gamesmanship. I really hope it wasn't and that he turns out terrible. Continuing their desperation, they take another lineman that has severe attitude and ability issues. That one, in particular, was one of the lowest kids on my list due to his attitude. However, John was desperate for any size whatsoever.

I finish out the 10s with Jackson H (Jack) and Brandon L. Jack's a smaller kid and I'm not a fan of smaller kids. However, Jack fits our team well as quick kid on the reverse. I had him listed as the 9th best overall, I just didn't like his size.

Brandon helps give our line depth. I hope to trade Abe for Nick. Nick plays end. I might have to trade Tyler for Noah, so I definitely wanted another lineman. Brandon's raw scores were the worst of those recorded, but not by much and I liked his effort. Plus, I liked him better than any of the other four kids that were left in the draft.

Unfortunately, I have to say goodbye to Alex S. He goes to John with one of the last two picks of the draft. Alex was better than that, but I had resolved to not take him based on the effort he gave me last year.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

John starts out the 9 year old draft taking the very kid that I had hoped would slide to me. Unfortunately, John caught on to him and he took a great kid. Steve surprises us all by taking perhaps the heaviest kid in the league. If he's not the heaviest, he might be the 2nd heaviest. I'd say he's a lock to be the heaviest at our level. Poor Tommy, unfortunately, is all size. His PAT of 36 was just 4 points shy of the record set by Nolan B last season.

Poor Nolan didn't return to play this season. What a bummer. I really thought that kid could be hidden, I mean play, at left guard.

Shocked at Steve's pick, I then take Andrew H. Andrew's dad is a firefighter and is a big football guy. He asked me to keep an eye out for his son. Andrew did reasonably well in camp...which puts him near the top of this weak crop of kids. He projects as an end for me.

John kind of shocks me with the next three picks. One of the kids I knew rather well from flag football. He was kind of swallowed up there. The other two were tied together as one's parents was the ride for the other. I thought the 2nd kid was horrible so I didn't consider taking the other.

By the time my next pick comes around, I'm kind of desperate. This group is very weak. I take one of Roger's kids from last season hoping to trade him to Roger in the Nick deal. Zach B was a linebacker for him on defense and looked pretty decent. I actually had him rated pretty high.

Tyson P was my other selection. Tyson's a lineman type that may be an end. I only worry about keeping him and Alan in line. I've had to break up their goofing off at a practice already.

Fast forwarding, my next two picks were Jacob G and Grant H. Jacob was a shot in the dark. He's signed up but hasn't done much since then. He played for John two years ago. Grant played flag football this spring and is a family friend of Stacy and Nick T.

My final picks were two of the final three kids. One tiny kid with a mouth, one tiny kid with no interest in football, and one kid that I was told had a jerk of a dad. I took the jerk of a dad kid and the no interest kid.

Michael R is the jerk kid. No idea where to play him as he hasn't been to many practices. John M is lost. If found, please take him to John's team. Please.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #47
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After the draft ends, Steve pumps me for Alan. I counter with Tyler or Amari, hoping they'll take Amari. He eventually goes for Amari.

Roger and I work out a deal as well. I take Nick and Hayden L, a kid we didn't know much about for Abe and Zach B.

John tries to jump in as well. He tries to sell me his paired picks for Brennan. Sure, I think, I'm a moron. I tell him I'm set. He then tries telling me they'll help me collectively more than Brennan because Brennan just isn't the go-to guy that I'm envisioning.

Really? Then why are you so hot to trot to get him?

Last edited by Poli : 08-01-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #48
Poli
FOFC Survivor

So we're set, for better or worse. The only one I probably have to be concerned about is Brennan. I doubt his parents would pull him from the league just because they didn't get the team they wanted. Then again, who knows. I'll call them around noon tomorrow to break the news they undoubtedly already have.

I worry how useful kids like Jacob, Grant, Michael, and Jon will be. Good thing I can rotate kids on the defensive line. Have fun, boys!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #49
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Hey Coach Poli, about a little roster recap after all the drafting and trading drama?

I kinda got lost with all the names. Just a list of names and projected positions will do, if you please.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sure thing...I was planning on that after I contact the parents later today.