Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Alright, boyz, here we...look, whatever. No Man's Sky. Discuss.

I've discovered three planets so far. Two ovens and a freezer.

Also I have a hyperdrive now.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm hoping I can fire this one up tomorrow night.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

This game could really use a ground vehicle or planet rover of some sort I'd say.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
This game could really use a ground vehicle or planet rover of some sort I'd say.

Plutonium is plentiful enough that I've been recently using my spaceship to go point to point if points of interest are too far apart.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looking forward to firing up the PC version on Friday.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just discovered a place with a toxic soup of an atmosphere. What to name it.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Just discovered a place with a toxic soup of an atmosphere. What to name it.

Chicago
Old 08-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #8
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

After posting in the video games thread, I did finally figure out to travel more quickly. That is considerable better than putting the ship on autopilot and going for a nap. I've discovered 5 planets so far.

I'm still on the fence about the game. I think it will be remembered more for what it is trying to do than what it actually does. Creating a procedurally generated world of this size is an amazing feat. It won't be everyone's cup of tea and the execution of the vision might be lacking in some areas (or a lot of areas depending on who you read), but it is good to see this type of ambition in game design.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #9
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I would say in many ways it's the game I expected, but not the game I hoped for. I like it a lot in many ways, but I had hoped it would be a game that I would spend time long after I completed the main arc exploring the infinite universe. However at this point I don't see that happening. I'm enjoying my journey and their are some moments of genuine wonder I've rarely experienced in a game. The developers seem committed to sticking with the game so hopefully future patches will put a little more variety in the exploration and variety elements.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
nol
Banned

Quote:
Plutonium is plentiful enough that I've been recently using my spaceship to go point to point if points of interest are too far apart.

Yeah, waiting to get it on the PC but just from seeing streams it seems like carbon/plutonium/etc are abundant enough that you can just grab a handful of it whenever you land and always have enough to jump from place to place on any planet much more quickly than you could travel on some ground vehicle.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #11
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Except for the time I got stuck on a planet with not enough fuel to blast off, and spent about 3 or 4 hours trying to find plutonium early in the game. It was a pretty barren place.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I find myself strangely enjoying this game. As some have said, getting a good stash of plutonium helps allow you to jump from spot to spot without having to work hard to get there. I'm also close to upgrading my ship, which I'm looking forward to doing. I've really done well with the trading as I found a planet in my second solar system that has a lot of huge columns of gold just waiting to mine.

I've also enjoyed doing the identifying of all the plants/animals and uploading them. I feel like a scientist who's found something that no one's ever seen before.

I did have my first taste of space combat as well. Provided a nice change of pace. I also just figured out that I can blow up all the asteroids to get certain materials as well. The nickel and iridium provide some nice extra cash on trips between planets.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #13
frnk55
High School Varsity

Not sure why but I really don't understand the hype.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

I see the game as Minecraft in a spaceship plus some story/main objective to go along with it.

I love & played Minecraft for a long time, so I think I am going to love this.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #15
JPhillips
General Manager

I thought there was no base building yet. That's the biggest reason why I'm not interested in buying until it's on a big markdown.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

This is NOT an MMO, correct? I don't know that I understand the hype for the scope of the game as a single player experience.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's possible to run into other people, but not likely, from what I've read.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This is NOT an MMO, correct? I don't know that I understand the hype for the scope of the game as a single player experience.

It is, but not really. You're not too likely to run into anyone.

The title screen has to be one of the most unique I've seen in a game. The screen shows the game universe in the background. Each day, more and more of the stars in the universe are getting names and they show up in the title screen. Really a fun idea and shows that there is activity all around.

There is a lot of meetups with aliens in the various solar systems in the game, so it's not without NPC interactions.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's possible to run into other people, but not likely, from what I've read.

This is what the devs had said but if the feature of being able to encounter other players made it into the game it's currently not working.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

I got attacked by pirates last night. Now I'm trying to fix my ship and good luck ever finding my death spot because space is huge.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oops.

No Man's Sky Game-Breaking Bug Strands Players - IGN

Basically, among other things players did the tutorial to learn how to build a hyperdrive. But if you bought the pre-order then you got a ship with that already attached & bypassed the getting-the-blueprint tutorial. And if you trade in your fancy starter ship for another one ... you don't know how to build a hyperdrive.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Huh. I got the code, but haven't used it yet. Perhaps I shouldn't. Tonight is slated to be my first crack at the game.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-11-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #23
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oops.

No Man's Sky Game-Breaking Bug Strands Players - IGN

Basically, among other things players did the tutorial to learn how to build a hyperdrive. But if you bought the pre-order then you got a ship with that already attached & bypassed the getting-the-blueprint tutorial. And if you trade in your fancy starter ship for another one ... you don't know how to build a hyperdrive.

Yeah I heard about that before I started playing and did the tutorial first. I have a half a mind to swap out my starter ship for that one in a while so I don't have to fuck with fixing the one the fucking pirates blew up.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
Galaril
Pro Starter

So I was looking at some reviews and I guess a big complaint is there is no way to tell where you have been so people are backtracking to previously explored planets. The question is why can't there be like a beacon left behind to tell you where you have explored. The huge update supposed is adding base building stuff and giant freighters but it seems the game was overly ambitious. Looks like Spore with a spaceship.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don't you get to name animals/planets that you discover? I could discover Rigel I, Rigel II, Rigel III.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't you get to name animals/planets that you discover? I could discover Rigel I, Rigel II, Rigel III.

Yes. Yes, you do. Name them BEFORE you upload your discoveries, though. Once a discovery is uploaded, that is its name forevermore.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

So you could name them in a way that lets you know you've already been there.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
So you could name them in a way that lets you know you've already been there.

If you visit a planet, it tells you who discovered it, if anybody has.

If you visit a previously-discovered planet you're on your own for if you've been there, but if you name a planet, your journal will record that name. If you don't, it'll still record the default name, and on approach you'll see that you were the discoverer.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #29
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm the kind of person who could probably explore in this game without needing a point or a destination or a mission to go on. Just being a spacefaring dude, getting along out there in the universe, I could see it being a great escape.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #30
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I like indie or roguelike games more than almost anyone, but from what I've seen the whole game is a potential great idea that just lacks context. From those who are getting into, the big question I have from what I've seen is, 'why should I care?'. Without a broader story/context and with such a solitary environment, why does it matter what I name the planets or creatures? What good does it do to upgrade your ship and equipment so you can visit more planets that equally don't matter? Just seems to me that there's no 'there' there, if that makes any sense. It's the kind of thing I'd like to enjoy but I don't imagine how I would, really.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #31
SackAttack
Head Coach

so I found a radioactive planet with gold and plutonium errwhere.

Also I discovered that on PS4, R1 is melee - which you can use to extract carbon and some other types of resources. Stuff like gold you gotta use the mining laser on, but since you can power the mining laser with carbon and you can extract carbon by hand...
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I like indie or roguelike games more than almost anyone, but from what I've seen the whole game is a potential great idea that just lacks context. From those who are getting into, the big question I have from what I've seen is, 'why should I care?'. Without a broader story/context and with such a solitary environment, why does it matter what I name the planets or creatures? What good does it do to upgrade your ship and equipment so you can visit more planets that equally don't matter? Just seems to me that there's no 'there' there, if that makes any sense. It's the kind of thing I'd like to enjoy but I don't imagine how I would, really.

Very well put IMO. This is very much my takeaway from everything I've seen since the release.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I guess how I see it, and why I enjoy it, is it's kinda like Mass Effect without the Reapers. Part of the attraction of Mass Effect was "explore the galaxy," but - and this especially was true of ME2 and ME3 - you had the threat of the Reapers hanging over your head and something of a countdown clock pushing you ahead in the game, so exploration was discouraged, if subtly.

Here, there's no Big Doomsday Macguffin forcing me along. I can explore every planet I find, or I can race to the center of the galaxy and pursue what plot there is. Right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of the exploration.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How sky-high hype formed a storm cloud over No Man’s Sky’s release | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Following this thread. Game looks interesting and I don't need multiplayer aspects, just an ability to play on and do whatever until I get bored.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-11-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #36
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Very well put IMO. This is very much my takeaway from everything I've seen since the release.

My take as well
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 PM   #37
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Following this thread. Game looks interesting and I don't need multiplayer aspects, just an ability to play on and do whatever until I get bored.

Looking forward to your 3 day commitment of a dynasty
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #38
Kodos
Resident Alien

Got some time in last night. Kinda annoying that your multi-tool doesn't work for mining the stuff that you need to get your pulse drive (or whatever it's called) working. I know they want to force you to trade, but it'd be nice if you could choose the way you want to do it.

I'm impressed with how the world I'm on looks. Several species around, including a plant that attacked me as I went by.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-12-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #39
SackAttack
Head Coach

pulse drive, or warp drive? There are two different ones, and the one that's a pain in the ass to fuel is the warp drive. Your pulse drive, you don't even need your multitool to fuel. You can punch plutonium until you have enough to fuel your pulse drive/liftoff jets
Old 08-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #40
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
You can punch plutonium until you have enough to fuel your pulse drive/liftoff jets

But what about the Libyans?!

It must be the warp drive. But I can't get it off the ground without the warp drive being fixed it seems. I was hoping to lift off, find the hyperion (or whatever it's called), and blast it with the gun from the ship, and then go collect the shards. No such luck.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-12-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

PC users aren't having much fun. (Horrible frame-rate issues for many/most, quite a few can't get the game to load / run at all, questions growing about listed min specs vs reality)

No Man's Sky on Steam

More & more, this is starting to feel to me like the last time we'll hear from anyone involved in this game for a number of years, and when they do resurface it'll be with an albatross around their neck.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #42
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Part of the attraction of Mass Effect was "explore the galaxy," but - and this especially was true of ME2 and ME3 - you had the threat of the Reapers hanging over your head and something of a countdown clock pushing you ahead in the game, so exploration was discouraged, if subtly.

Interesting. People like things for different reasons, for certain - but there was never any point in Mass Effect where I thought a big part of the appeal was exploration. That was a means to an end(that end being, your role in the universe, etc.) The cookie-cutter planets you could go around on your Mako in ME1 had a relatively few good side quests in them, but for the most part the make-work mineral-collecting etc. was the weakest part of the series, gameplay-wise, IMO. The more focused ME2 and ME3 concept of giving you a reason to go the various places you could go were major leaps forward I think.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-12-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

As much as it's nice to jump from spot to spot now that I have a good amount of fuel, I think one of the most enjoyable parts of this game is just walking up a huge mountain and popping over the top to see the fantastic views of the world that this game provides. Dropping into a deep cavern with your jetpack to reveal a separate new world is just as great.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #44
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
PC users aren't having much fun. (Horrible frame-rate issues for many/most, quite a few can't get the game to load / run at all, questions growing about listed min specs vs reality)

No Man's Sky on Steam

More & more, this is starting to feel to me like the last time we'll hear from anyone involved in this game for a number of years, and when they do resurface it'll be with an albatross around their neck.

I played all afternoon and zero issues.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #45
nol
Banned

Quote:

This has me wondering whether I was supposed to have felt as though I actually saved the universe or found the true meaning of life after beating Mass Effect 3. I thought it was a pretty fun video game at least.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:18 AM   #46
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
But what about the Libyans?!

It must be the warp drive. But I can't get it off the ground without the warp drive being fixed it seems. I was hoping to lift off, find the hyperion (or whatever it's called), and blast it with the gun from the ship, and then go collect the shards. No such luck.

You should be able to take off without the warp drive being fixed. But you need to fuel the liftoff and possibly the pulse drives to do that. All the warp drive does is let you jump from star system to star system. Everything within a given star system can be done without warping.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #47
Critch
lolzcat

Six hours in and the game is brilliant. Whether it'll get repetitive or not I dont know, but so far I just want to play more.

No problems other than the game is a bit too much for my oldish laptop so playing with pretty low settings. But new "gaming" laptop turning up next week so short-term annoyance hopefully.

I'm off to find a planet with lots of animals and no sentinels so I can kill things without fear of reprisal.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Six hours in and the game is brilliant. Whether it'll get repetitive or not I dont know, but so far I just want to play more.

No problems other than the game is a bit too much for my oldish laptop so playing with pretty low settings. But new "gaming" laptop turning up next week so short-term annoyance hopefully.

I'm off to find a planet with lots of animals and no sentinels so I can kill things without fear of reprisal.

I haven't killed any animals at all yet. So far, I've just been analzying them. Is there any benefit or are you just whacking them because you can?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #49
Critch
lolzcat

I'm not really sure. I killed one in a cave (because it attacked me, it was self-defense, honest) but the body fell down a hole before I could get close to it.

Mainly it was just to play intergalactic big game hunter.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #50
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Whether it'll get repetitive or not
From what I've read this will be a issue. But this maybe something a person enjoys.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote