Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #601
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Except I don't think Tua is the plan. I think they keep building the lines in 2020 and grab Lawrence in 2021.

And the deal for Tunsil was too good to pass up.

There's no evidence this is what they are planning, and indeed quite the opposite, they are making noise about using their cap space aggressively next season. I think it's Tua + WR + OL early in the draft, and starting fitting pieces around them on the working assumption that they can quickly get into that "build a winning team while you have a cheap young QB" model.

As a longtime Dolphins fan, I'm pretty open to this - even though the team this year appears to be brutally awful. They might end up with 10-15 players form this roster who can stick around a while and still contribute.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #602
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Eli our. Thank goodness
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #603
molson
General Manager

Will the Giants fanbase allow it this time? Or will he be back next week with a new coaching staff?

Last edited by molson : 09-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #604
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Will the Giants fanbase allow it this time? Or will he be back next week with a new coaching staff?

The two situations are completely different.

Last time Eli was benched by Mcadoo as a total FU to the organization because he knew he was on the way out. He was benched for Geno Smith. Had he been benched for Webb would have been understandable, but everyone knows what Geno is. The fans had a right to be pissed and I was one of them.

This time they are playing the kid they took with the 6th overall pick, the future of the franchise, and clearly moving forward to get him experience in a season the obviously aren't going anywhere.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #605
molson
General Manager

There's no rule that the first Giants QB to start after Manning had to be the the guy they built their team around forever. (And Webb hasn't exactly proven himself to be a starting NFL QB either and is on a practice squad right now). The question is whether it was the right time to move on from him now, two years ago, or longer ago, and what exactly it accomplished for the franchise to keep throwing him out there until he became a .500 career QB (and much worse than that in his last 7 season).

Edit: I guess it did accomplish them getting a bunch of high draft picks, but keeping Eli just to tank seems more disrespectful to me than benching him when his performance warranted it. And, if Geno Smith was truly the real villain of the entire story as he's been portrayed, he probably would have lost more games than Eli. Though, Geno, unlike Webb, is actually on an NFL roster still.

Last edited by molson : 09-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #606
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Crazy stat of the day. 15 years ago (nearly to the day), Tommy Maddux injured his elbow and allowed Ben Roethlisberger his first start. Maybe another passing of the torch at QB in Pittsburgh?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #607
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is Mason's team now. Let's see whst he can do with it. Ben's career might be over (in PIT anyway).

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #608
sabotai
General Manager

For three of Eli Manning's last remaining years of being a productive starter, he had Ereck Flowers at left tackle. Three years.

Fuck you Jerry Reese. That's my primary thought right now. Shittier line after shittier offensive line for the second half of Eli's career (not to mention how bad he was at picking defense talent in general, outside of defensive tackle for some odd reason, plus his terribleness at managing the salary cap). I'll never forgive Jerry Reese for wasting half of his career, or Tim Mara for sticking with him beyond 2015.

Say what you will about Dave Gettleman, he's done far, far more for that offensive line in 2 off seasons than Jerry Reese did in a decade. And now that Eli finally has a decent offensive line for the first time since 2011, it's too late. Fuck You Jerry Reese.

Okay, now that I got that out of my system (a little bit anyway), here's hoping Daniel Jones is everything Gettleman and Shurmur think he is. And they need to stick with him for the rest of the season. He plays poorly vs. TB, oh well. Keep him in. It's his team now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #609
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

I mean Danny Dimes. I hope he's as good as the front office and coaches think he is.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #610
Izulde
Head Coach

So Darnold has mono and all I can think is...

Whose bed have his boots been under?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #611
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just noticed that Brady is only ~3,500 yards behind Brees for all time yardage leader. He’s got a chance to make up some serious ground while Brees is out.

Whatever the Brady yardage over/under is for the next two months, just keep taking the over.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #612
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
For three of Eli Manning's last remaining years of being a productive starter, he had Ereck Flowers at left tackle. Three years.

Fuck you Jerry Reese. That's my primary thought right now. Shittier line after shittier offensive line for the second half of Eli's career (not to mention how bad he was at picking defense talent in general, outside of defensive tackle for some odd reason, plus his terribleness at managing the salary cap). I'll never forgive Jerry Reese for wasting half of his career, or Tim Mara for sticking with him beyond 2015.

Say what you will about Dave Gettleman, he's done far, far more for that offensive line in 2 off seasons than Jerry Reese did in a decade. And now that Eli finally has a decent offensive line for the first time since 2011, it's too late. Fuck You Jerry Reese.

Okay, now that I got that out of my system (a little bit anyway), here's hoping Daniel Jones is everything Gettleman and Shurmur think he is. And they need to stick with him for the rest of the season. He plays poorly vs. TB, oh well. Keep him in. It's his team now.

Eli to Jacksonville for Ramsey?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #613
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

As a Colt's fan, let this trade happen straight up.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #614
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

This is so bad for the Jags. Eli is finito, done.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #615
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Maybe it's just super small sample size here, but it's interesting to see the difference between Steelers fans thoughts on Ben vs Giants on Eli. Giants fans were willing to put up with Eli for so long while it seems like Steelers fans are almost ready to push Ben out the door regardless what Rudolph shows. Not saying either is better (and I guess while derpy at times, Eli has never had off field problems, which helps), just an interesting difference considering Ben was QB'ing with better numbers and QB'ing playoff contending teams a lot more recently (albeit ones with more talent around him.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #616
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maybe it's just super small sample size here, but it's interesting to see the difference between Steelers fans thoughts on Ben vs Giants on Eli. Giants fans were willing to put up with Eli for so long while it seems like Steelers fans are almost ready to push Ben out the door regardless what Rudolph shows. Not saying either is better (and I guess while derpy at times, Eli has never had off field problems, which helps), just an interesting difference considering Ben was QB'ing with better numbers and QB'ing playoff contending teams a lot more recently (albeit ones with more talent around him.)

I wonder if it isnt because Steelers fans are sick of that entire Bell, Brown, Big Ben shit show thats been going on for 2-3 years. Maybe they are ready to start fresh over. I think Eli was a fairly likable player that won a couple super bowls. I dont think Ben has that same likable personality where he will get the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-17-2019 at 10:14 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #617
molson
General Manager

Chris Berman and Tom Jackson are doing NFL Primetime on ESPN+ this season (along with the traditional music behind the highlights) and it is glorious.

Last edited by molson : 09-17-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #618
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Chris Berman and Tom Jackson are doing NFL Primetime on ESPN+ this season (along with the traditional music behind the highlights) and it is glorious.

Indeed it is!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #619
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

This plus Peyton’s show = Time to get ESPN+. I need something to help me rebond with the NFL.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #620
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I’m not following all the details, but Robert Klemperer of SI is showing a text that he claims Antonio Brown sent to a woman he was arguing that has a picture of her kids and orders to his “associates” to look into her.

How the Steelers managed to keep him out of prison for as long as they did is starting to seem like a minor miracle.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #621
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

AB out in New England.

They.Do.Not.Fuck.Around.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-antonio-brown

Last edited by Lathum : 09-20-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #622
PilotMan
Head Coach

AB is now gone from the Pats.

Quite the turn of events, and everything the Pats deserved.

Like Steam?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #623
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

bastard

Like Steam?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #624
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Pats release Brown.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #625
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wonder if Brady still wants to put him up?

Like Steam?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #626
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would bet a Venn diagram of people participating in the Boston Straight Pride Parade and people who purchased Antonio Brown Pats jerseys would be a perfect circle.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #627
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

You know as well as I do, none of this is sticky to the Pats.

We don't actually care.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #628
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So if they win it all, do they mail AB a ring? On the one hand, he caught a TD pass in a regular season game, so he wasn't just technically on the roster.

On the other hand, he seems like one of the worst people in the world.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-20-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #629
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
AB out in New England.

They.Do.Not.Fuck.Around.

Brown out -- Pats cut WR amid off-field allegations

Except for that whole signing him in the first place.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #630
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Antonio Brown's next stop will be an XFL team next season.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #631
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Obviously just felt they needed him to get over the Fins
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #632
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

Pats release Brown.

I hate saying this but:

Good Job Patriots
Old 09-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #633
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I shall forever remember those 11 days in September of aught 19.

I think I've actually been consistent on my AB takes. Don't think we needed him at all unless/until JG gets hurt/suspended, (and I'm excited to see Meyers, then Harry play), wasn't going to apologize for having him on the team and got a little excited as an X&O guy when I saw those formations with him & JG on the short side in the red zone, but not mad he's gone. Just wish they'd done (more?) due diligence/ realized this wasn't a one off, it was a long term pattern. But oh well, not my money. (And I guess it'll be interesting to see if we try & recoup some signing bonus $$$ or just eat $9m.

Either way, thank god we activated him & played him last week. Can't take those divisional games for granted this early when Buffalo is looked okay!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #634
bhlloy
Coordinator

I wish they hadn't played him and let him train with the team after the allegations at all, but they didn't actually know about them when they signed him, so I'm not sure how they can be dinged for that?

Overall, I'm guessing BB and Kraft probably regret that decision now but I doubt it's going to derail the juggernaut they look like being this year (again).
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #635
RendeR
Coordinator

According to most sources they haven't paid him anything but a game check. They may only be required to pay him one more game check for this week since he was on the roster after wed.

Signing bonuses are pretty much not gonna happen.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #636
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I wish they hadn't played him and let him train with the team after the allegations at all, but they didn't actually know about them when they signed him, so I'm not sure how they can be dinged for that?

Overall, I'm guessing BB and Kraft probably regret that decision now but I doubt it's going to derail the juggernaut they look like being this year (again).
The allegations dropped 5? days before the Miami game.

If we did structure them as "roster" bonuses that only vested October 1 or whatever, awesome. I do wish NFL contracts were more clear (I think even that 2nd year option tied on was a draft pick compensation gimmick iirc.)
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #637
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Pats aren't stupid. I'm sure that most of that money was not guaranteed.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #638
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I could see maybe the Cowboys, Panthers, Texans with interest if the NFL clears him. The wait could be awhile however.

Way to throw away 50+ million Brown. You will likely go down as the biggest diva in sports history. That is one impressive accomplishment with all of the great candidates he beat out.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:37 AM   #639
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Antonio Brown's next stop will be an XFL team next season.

I thought the big thing was a morality clause for that league? He may as well start making porn cause that’s probably his only avenue to earn. He’ll be bankrupt very soon at this rate.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #640
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought the big thing was a morality clause for that league? He may as well start making porn cause that’s probably his only avenue to earn. He’ll be bankrupt very soon at this rate.

But he’s not a kneeler!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #641
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Hey, remember last year when Steelers fans and media were calling for Tomlin to be fired because he has no control of the players?

The mere fact that he managed to get 8+ productive and relatively quiet (relatively!!) seasons out of AB is now looking like a miracle.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #642
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He’s still a garbage coach.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #643
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

AB losing his mind again on Twitter
Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #644
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I shall forever remember those 11 days in September of aught 19.

I think I've actually been consistent on my AB takes. Don't think we needed him at all unless/until JG gets hurt/suspended, (and I'm excited to see Meyers, then Harry play), wasn't going to apologize for having him on the team and got a little excited as an X&O guy when I saw those formations with him & JG on the short side in the red zone, but not mad he's gone. Just wish they'd done (more?) due diligence/ realized this wasn't a one off, it was a long term pattern. But oh well, not my money. (And I guess it'll be interesting to see if we try & recoup some signing bonus $$$ or just eat $9m.

Either way, thank god we activated him & played him last week. Can't take those divisional games for granted this early when Buffalo is looked okay!

Who on Earth thought it was a one off? I don't see how anyone could have looked at his history and thought, "Naw, no skeletons, he's stable now."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #645
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Who on Earth thought it was a one off? I don't see how anyone could have looked at his history and thought, "Naw, no skeletons, he's stable now."
Maybe one off is poor phrasing, but clearly the Pats thought their culture and the promise of a big contract next FA could be enough to get him to keep his head (relatively) down for 4 months. Even after the allegations dropped they said okay that was before his time here & played him vs Miami...

They don't have the salary cap room, but if he's willing to play cheap I think the Panthers could really use him. They need a #1 WR, and Newton/Rivera should be desperate enough to push for him. Not sure the new owner would go for it though.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #646
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
AB losing his mind again on Twitter

Dude needs mental help.

But he is 100% accurate on Kraft getting off (yes you can take that in multiple directions)

Last edited by kingfc22 : 09-22-2019 at 11:04 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #647
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe one off is poor phrasing, but clearly the Pats thought their culture and the promise of a big contract next FA could be enough to get him to keep his head (relatively) down for 4 months. Even after the allegations dropped they said okay that was before his time here & played him vs Miami...

They don't have the salary cap room, but if he's willing to play cheap I think the Panthers could really use him. They need a #1 WR, and Newton/Rivera should be desperate enough to push for him. Not sure the new owner would go for it though.

Tepper was a Steelers minority owner. I doubt it.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #648
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Dude needs mental help.

But he is 100% accurate on Kraft getting off (yes you can take that in multiple directions)

I think the hypocrisy that he highlights regarding Roethlisberger is even more on point.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #649
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wtf packers game? How do they miss an obvious interception this badly? How soon can we get NFL robo umps
Old 09-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lost like 20 yards on the interception return.