Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #7001
Thomkal
Head Coach

Don't think I've bought anything from the Steam sale this time around either. Just easy to wait and get a lot of things free or with big discounts at various sites.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #7002
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just the sheer volume on Steam in general including the summer sale is prohibitive for me now. Unless I see a game getting hype here or randomly elsewhere and wishlist it, there’s very little chance I’m wading through 40 pages of games most with good reviews trying to find something I’ll actually enjoy.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #7003
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let's see, Steam sale here, between me & the kid, ended up being

Disco Elysium
Oxygen Not Included
The Forest
DLCs for Don't Starve

All deep discounted older game pickups, which is pretty much the perfect use of the event for us I think
Old 07-09-2022, 02:53 AM   #7004
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I got
Cuphead

and

Inscryption

also some minor things like the Sorcery! bundle from steve jackson games plus a few other cheapees
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #7005
Capital
High School Varsity

I did pick up King Arthur and have been enjoying the game.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #7006
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just the sheer volume on Steam in general including the summer sale is prohibitive for me now. Unless I see a game getting hype here or randomly elsewhere and wishlist it, there’s very little chance I’m wading through 40 pages of games most with good reviews trying to find something I’ll actually enjoy.

I get it - it's difficult. But, I'm usually looking for a certain style of game and that narrows down the options. Such as, roguelike card builder.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #7007
Izulde
Head Coach

Been playing Clanfolk demo - in the vein of Rimworld/Banished/et. al. Haven't quite decided yet to pull the trigger, but fans of the genre(s) will no doubt want to check it out.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:46 AM   #7008
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Been playing Clanfolk demo - in the vein of Rimworld/Banished/et. al. Haven't quite decided yet to pull the trigger, but fans of the genre(s) will no doubt want to check it out.

I think the developer answer on Steam about "how is this any different than Rimworld" was pretty good.

Gave me a better idea of what this is or isn't trying to do at least.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:16 AM   #7009
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think the developer answer on Steam about "how is this any different than Rimworld" was pretty good.

Gave me a better idea of what this is or isn't trying to do at least.

In case anyone has trouble finding what you're referring to:

Quote:
Yes this will come up a lot for sure. Rimworld is obviously a huge inspiration and pretty much perfect at doing what it does, so the parts of Clanfolk that are like Rimworld are that way because that is the right way to do the thing.

But here are the main ways Clanfolk differs.

Family
The main difference is the tight focus on Clan family. I am trying to create a life simulator to draw the player into the day to day lives of these little people, whereas RImworld is a story generator for a colony.

The people in Clanfolk are born, live a long life under your care, and eventually die. You get to know these people over many hours as you raise them and tailor their lives. They also go through distinct phases of life baby, juvenile, adult, and senior.

The Clanfolk also have a much wider array of needs, more akin to the Sims. I want players to enjoy watching the Clanfolk live their daily lives in the community that you have planned for them. They actually have a proper hierarchy of needs where as they fulfill needs like food, and shelter, then they start to care about social interactions and having fun.

Focus on Day to Day Life
So Clanfolk is about planning vs nature, not random events or raids. Rimworld has a lot of focus on combat and making the perfect killbox. That is a lot of fun, but Clanfolk isn't about that. It is about preparation for winter using historically accurate means.

Each day, there will be a routine that you need to improve upon. The eels need to be collected from the traps, wood chopped for the fires, fields watered or fertilized, animal stalls scooped out, meals cooked. There are all these things you need to do to just live. Then you worry about expansion and preparation for winter.

World Sim
The main antagonist in Clanfolk is nature, not raiders. So you need to worry about things like wind chill, and being wet. People and animals have body heat that can be shared in small spaces. Everything has a flammability value that is effected by local moisture (so grass fires in summer, but not spring or fall) The more real that I can make the world, the more real the Clanfolk will feel and hopefully the more that you care about them.

Atmosphere
So, I want you to want to be there. I want players to just sip a coffee and watch the fish jump in the lakes, or listen when flocks or crows head home for the night. Watching the wind slowly weave through the grass is just nice, for me anyhow. I escape into the game.
So depending on what you are looking at, soundscapes form based on what is in the area and the time of day. If you are looking at a forest in the morning, the songbirds will be going nuts. A late at night, then the frogs start singing. Everything is meant to draw you in. There is also time to enjoy it. There is lots of time to think.

Setting
This one is probably obvious, but the setting is entirely different. This is a historically accurate life sim in the highlands of Scotland vs. Stranded survivors on an alien world. Rimworld's theme is very compelling and you can't go wrong with Firefly/Cowboys, but I am after Highlander and Braveheart (the peaceful bits in those movies anyhow)

Conclusion
I am hoping that people get something totally different out of Clanfolk. I want them to have memories of a home they built for a struggling little Clan that they cared for in a setting they enjoy.

Old 07-15-2022, 01:20 AM   #7010
Izulde
Head Coach

Aight I think I'm going to bite on Clanfolk. Why not?

Old 07-15-2022, 08:24 AM   #7011
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, after playing the fuck out of Banished for ages, this seems like a logical next step for me.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #7012
bhlloy
Coordinator

Liking it so far. It feels a little cookie cutter and linear early, which some reviews did note, but I’m imagining things change up as you get further in.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #7013
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm putting it on my wish list, but I just got back into Kerbal Space Program heavy. I just massively mod it up, and it might be a good while before I venture back out of it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #7014
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I'm putting it on my wish list, but I just got back into Kerbal Space Program heavy. I just massively mod it up, and it might be a good while before I venture back out of it.

i couldn't really figure that one out. Where and how do you mod that
Old 07-15-2022, 11:33 AM   #7015
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just finished Outlast:WHistleblower. Got both collectible achievments which was a pain to do.

Here's a picture of my new husband "The Groom" stabbing me to death. Hugs and kisses darling!

Old 07-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #7016
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
i couldn't really figure that one out. Where and how do you mod that
CKAN for Kerbal Space Program. It is a mod manager that installs everything, and there is a program called module manager that keeps things up to date. Kerbal reddit has a bunch of players that share reccomended mods list.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:22 PM   #7017
PilotMan
Head Coach

Who isn't pumped for Powerwash Simulator?!

{talk about a killing for a $25 game selling as fast as this one is}

And of course you know, Pumpy already has it and is spraying away grime for hours now! (3 to be exact)

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-15-2022 at 10:23 PM.
PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:46 PM   #7018
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Who isn't pumped for Powerwash Simulator?!

It's on Xbox PC Game Pass so I've played a couple of hours this afternoon and I'm not sure why. It really is just moving your mouse pointer back and forward over dirty things to make them clean.

I think I'll play again now.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #7019
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, putting this here because of the implied Venn diagram involved...

I'm still enjoying Monster Train, and that plus StS has pushed me to being a fan of the "roguelike deckbuilder" genre, I suppose.

I also really like football and the concept of football team/roster building.

So now, as I play, a fraction of my mind is obsessed with: roguelike deckbuilder game but based on developing a football team/roster capable of winning through an entire season

That's all for now. I'm not a developer/programmer, so this likely just sits as an idle idea, but... man, I like this idle idea.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:36 PM   #7020
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

I'm still enjoying Monster Train, and that plus StS has pushed me to being a fan of the "roguelike deckbuilder" genre, I suppose.

So now, as I play, a fraction of my mind is obsessed with: roguelike deckbuilder game but based on developing a football team/roster capable of winning through an entire season

That's all for now. I'm not a developer/programmer, so this likely just sits as an idle idea, but... man, I like this idle idea.

Sounds kinda like that Rival Stars iphone game FOFC was into a while back...
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:52 PM   #7021
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

This makes me think of Gridiron Solitaire but it looks like the game is no longer for sale.
Gridiron Solitaire on Steam
Old 07-16-2022, 05:54 PM   #7022
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
This makes me think of Gridiron Solitaire but it looks like the game is no longer for sale.

Must be a regional thing. It's still available to me in NY.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:57 PM   #7023
21C
College Prospect

Good to know. There is no price or buy option for me in Australia.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #7024
Thomkal
Head Coach

Arkham Horror:Mother's Embrace is 8$ at GoG.com
Old 07-20-2022, 04:43 PM   #7025
Thomkal
Head Coach

For fans of Railway Empires/Train games, Humble Bundle has a collection of the base game and DLC's:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/r...m_medium=email
Old 07-22-2022, 06:20 AM   #7026
Thomkal
Head Coach

Free Weekends of several games this weekend:

Hell Let Loose
Insurgency
Rubber Bandits
Left 4 Dead 2
Old 07-22-2022, 08:55 AM   #7027
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
For fans of Railway Empires/Train games, Humble Bundle has a collection of the base game and DLC's:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/r...m_medium=email
Has anybody been able to really get into this game? I own it (or I owned it. I might have returned it). I love those kinds of games, but there was something about it I wasn't crazy about.
Edit: Never mind. I was thinking of Railway Corporation.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-22-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #7028
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Epic gave the base game away for free. I had a few hours of fun with it but didn't really feel like learning to make good use of the mechanics.

But that's more on me because these days I rarely spend a lot of time on a game that isn't a RPG or has strong RPG elements.

With that said that is kind of a tempting bundle to me.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-22-2022 at 10:46 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #7029
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

L4D sucks. Play Vermintide 2 instead
Old 07-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #7030
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Epic gave the base game away for free. I had a few hours of fun with it but didn't really feel like learning to make good use of the mechanics.

But that's more on me because these days I rarely spend a lot of time on a game that isn't a RPG or has string RPG elements.

With that said that is kind of a tempting bundle to me.

You know you want it...
Old 07-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #7031
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
L4D sucks. Play Vermintide 2 instead

L4D is great, especially L4D2. Super fun. Vermintide 2 is, also, fun! Great game.

Very much looking forward to Warhammer: Darktide, made by the same folks, which promises to the be the 40K version of Vermintide.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #7032
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

dola

Speaking of Warhammer, while for the most part I like most Warhammer (and 40K) games in theory more than I do in actual practice, I did recently finally install Total War: Warhammer 2 and have been really enjoying it!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #7033
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I picked it up a couple of days ago.
Silly little game. Football themed card game, although I also had some fun with the career mode without playing the games. It's light though, really light. Far from the best game I ever played, but I've already spent more time "playing" this than some true miss buys.

I've already had it 5 times longer open than Legend Bowl, a silly arcade football game, which looks promising, but I just haven't gotten pulled in by it just yet.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-22-2022 at 02:10 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #7034
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I picked it up a couple of days ago.
Silly little game. Football themed card game, although I also had some fun with the career mode without playing the games. It's light though, really light. Far from the best game I ever played, but I've already spent more time "playing" this than some true miss buys.

I've already had it 5 times longer open than Legend Bowl, a silly arcade football game, which looks promising, but I just haven't gotten pulled in by it just yet.

Not bad for a one man effort. (Bill Harris, the guy who created it, runs the Dubious Quality blog: Dubious Quality)
Old 07-22-2022, 11:34 PM   #7035
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Anyone in on Wartales yet? It's 20% off ($27.99), wondering if it's worth jumping in now or still has some EA stuff to work out.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:53 PM   #7036
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I bought it and bounced off it a couple weeks ago. It certainly wasn't bad, I hust didn't find it very compelling...but it wasn't because of bugs or lack of content fwiw.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:16 AM   #7037
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Anyone in on Wartales yet? It's 20% off ($27.99), wondering if it's worth jumping in now or still has some EA stuff to work out.

Came in to ask the same thing. I can't tell if it's significantly different than Battle Brothers or whatever other games like this that I own but haven't played yet. Prolly shouldn't drop the money on another game that's like the games I have in my stable.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 AM   #7038
bhlloy
Coordinator

It’s fine. I’ve spent a lot of time the last few weeks playing as due to a logistical error my PC controller didn’t get shipped when we moved. I’d say it’s more story driven and a bit more linear than battle brothers, which has advantages and disadvantages. Personally I think it’s a bit more enjoyable and challenging, but it’s definitely similar.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #7039
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I’ve tried to get jerk twice with no luck. Maybe I was playing it wrong or not grasping some concepts, but it didn’t click with me. That being said, I could largely say the same about Battle Brothers.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #7040
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah Battle Brothers is the obvious comp, and while I liked it in concept I struggled with it (at least partially because it was so damn hard! haha). I'm hoping it's more like XCom, but heck I'll probably get it at some point so why not jump in at $28 instead of waiting a year for like a possible $10 difference I guess.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:42 PM   #7041
Thomkal
Head Coach

Banished is $6 at Gog.com for about the next 40 hours
Old 07-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #7042
Atocep
Coordinator

If you're into story games with QTEs similar to the Quantic Dream games, As Dusk Falls has an art style that takes some getting used to but the story and characters are incredible. One of my favorite games so far this year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #7043
Thomkal
Head Coach

Darkest Dungeon is on sale for just under $4 this weekend and a lot of the DLCs on sale too. Looks like DD 2 will be out on Steam in Feb.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:14 PM   #7044
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
You know you want it...

Apparently I do because I just bought it.

Not sure if I'll ever get around to playing any of the expansions but I do have an itch* right now to play some building games.

*This itch is extremely contagious. If you feel the need to play building games for more than 3 hours then please call your doctor.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:46 PM   #7045
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Apparently I do because I just bought it.

Not sure if I'll ever get around to playing any of the expansions but I do have an itch* right now to play some building games.

*This itch is extremely contagious. If you feel the need to play building games for more than 3 hours then please call your doctor.

I'm sorry the cure is to play for 6 hours...
Old 07-31-2022, 08:04 PM   #7046
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'll just notify my boss that I won't be in tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:15 PM   #7047
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll just notify my boss that I won't be in tomorrow.

I'm sure he/she will understand
Old 08-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #7048
Thomkal
Head Coach

Last Oasis free to play this weekend.

Also the Yogscast having their second or third Tiny Teams festival through the weekend where they celebrate and have live streams of games with a small group of developers, including themselves. Some nice discounts for most of them on Steam too.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #7049
Atocep
Coordinator

Apparently the supply chain issues with the Steam Deck have been resolved. My purchase window updated to sometime between now and the end of September.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #7050
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good news there Atocep