Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2023, 02:12 PM   #7401
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll offer this unsolicited opinion fwiw ... CK 3 is by FAR the most accessible of any of the CK and/or EU iterations.

I'm already deeper in my first attempt at a game than I think I've ever gotten in either. Yes, they've simplified some things (and I'm not entirely sure combat is where it oughta be in that regard) BUT it's definitely easier to pick up than any of the others have been.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #7402
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Just took part in the worst boss fight I've ever experienced in a video game in Redfall. The fight was a pain in the arse for the simple reason that the fight was designed like crap.

The fight is just two phases, but when the boss goes immune the objectives become completely unclear. To make matters worse you are constantly swarmed with adds and when you do figure out what to do the hit collision is almost impossible. To top it all off you are presented with absolutely trash visuals of white on top of washed out white with a swirly white background. The cherry on top is the fact that the game crashes down to like 10 FPS during this on my 3080ti.

I had to watch a video for the first time so far in the playthrough to figure out what to do and laughed when the guy showing it was like, "You have to destroy the red orbs, but you can shoot the red orbs all day and nothing will happen. What you actually have to do is spray gunfire over top of the the orbs like a blanket until you randomly hit the right spot enough times to destroy it.....this fight is basically unplayable."

It's a shame because we were enjoying it up to this point. We got through it and decided to put the game down for the day. Not sure if we will pick it back up or not honestly.

Last edited by dubb93 : 06-03-2023 at 04:24 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:24 PM   #7403
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, Jagged Alliance 3 is -20% at $36. Release date is Jul 14.

There's not been EA reviews and the discussion board doesn't have a lot of insight. So TBH a little concerned about how good it really will be.

I think I'll wait for the reviews.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:53 PM   #7404
Thomkal
Head Coach

Crusader Kings II is free to claim at GoG.com
Old 06-15-2023, 04:10 PM   #7405
Edward64
Head Coach

For those that don't already have it, XCom2 + WOTC is on sale.

$5.99 + $3.99

Well worth it IMO. And after you've beaten the game a couple times, lots of mods to play with including the Long War mod.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:14 PM   #7406
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Seconded. One of the best games ever.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #7407
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I was unimpressed. The new mechanics meant to speed it up made the game a lot less fun for someone like myself. In general though I'm pretty out of touch on this; a lot of modern games have a 'must go fast now' theme, which ends in gameplay being so super-super-hurry and frenetic that it makes it completely unenjoyable to me.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:45 PM   #7408
Edward64
Head Coach

There is a way to slow down the counter and also increase turns per mission. I think that’s delivered functionality but if not, there are definitely mods. I use them because I did not want to be rushed.

And if you really want a long duration game, do the Long War mod.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:30 PM   #7409
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Fair, but in general I don't mod a game if I don't enjoy the game to begin with. If it's something I enjoy enough to play the vanilla version of, then I might try mods. When I don't like the core experience, I don't look for mods to change that; I just play a different game.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:52 PM   #7410
GrantDawg

I had that problem on first playing, but I quickly learned it made the game even better. You still have as much time as you need to plan your moves. It just forces you to be aggressive. My biggest issue was my own physical problems. My hand twitches and will accidentally confirm a move I didn't mean to. But that was a me problem.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:25 AM   #7411
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, just bought BG3 as a Father's Day present for myself.

I figured I was going to get it anyway, it won't come down in price anytime soon, and I'm slowly coming to the realization/dread that my laptop doesn't meet the minimum specs for StarField.

2.5 months till go-live.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #7412
Thomkal
Head Coach

Space Engineers is $9 at Fanatical. They are also having a "rewards week" for email subscribers where there has been a free game(Alchemy Garden) and a discount coupon on Jackbox games today
Old 06-16-2023, 02:51 PM   #7413
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
It just forces you to be aggressive.

I agree with this. That's exactly the part that I don't like.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:29 PM   #7414
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Never played either of the X-Com's, despite them being in my Steam library. I thought they were turn based. Is there a timer? How is it rushed?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:44 PM   #7415
GrantDawg

It is turn based. There are a number of turns you have to complete each mission.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-17-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:07 PM   #7416
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog
Never played either of the X-Com's, despite them being in my Steam library. I thought they were turn based. Is there a timer? How is it rushed?

It's rushed in the sense of mechanics that require you to complete missions in a set amount of turns. I don't mind some time pressure mind you; the bomb missions in XCom1 had it. I do mind it when it's basically constant though. They were trying to prevent people turtling heavily as happened in the first game, but it's a case where IMO the cure was much worse than the disease.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:16 PM   #7417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't mind some time pressure mind you; the bomb missions in XCom1 had it. I do mind it when it's basically constant though. They were trying to prevent people turtling heavily as happened in the first game, but it's a case where IMO the cure was much worse than the disease.

You just described what sucked the fun out of the game for me, whatever iteration I last played.

It took it from difficult-but-enjoyable for me to this-is-just-stress-and-I'm-not-having-fun {shrug}
Old 06-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #7418
GrantDawg

I'm really surprised you guys had that much of a problem with it. Almost every game has some kind of time constraints, and Xcom was much easier than about any game I ever played. It is much easier than the average RTS game. Maybe it is just the understanding that the game is made in a way that you are going to lose soldiers. It is a resource game, and part of the resource are your soldiers. If you take out the turn timer, the game would be way too easy.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-17-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:58 PM   #7419
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I'm really surprised you guys had that much of a problem with it. Almost every game has some kind of time constraints, and Xcom was much easier than about any game I ever played. It is much easier than the average RTS game. Maybe it is just the understanding that the game is made in a way that you are going to lose soldiers. It is a resource game, and part of the resource are your soldiers. If you take out the turn timer, the game would be way too easy.

{shrug} It literally killed it for me, haven't touched it since I realized that there simply wasn't much fun left for me. If I happen to be in the mood to play something sweaty I'll just go play an FPS, where the penalty for rushed mistakes is temporary and you carry on.

It's a ... pace of play (?) thing. I've got (looks to see) 896 hours in HOI4 right now. I'd bet that as much as 20% of those have been spent micromanaging fleet upgrades.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:06 PM   #7420
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It is a resource game, and part of the resource are your soldiers. If you take out the turn timer, the game would be way too easy.

If all you do is take out the turn timer, sure. But everything is balanced with that in mind. I.e. XCOM 1 was hardly considered too easy by most people - and it has difficulty levels. I've yet to meet the person who think the first XCOM on Impossible is a walk in the park, and Classic was even considered quite challenging.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are parts of it that I thought were promising. As far as the RTS comparison - it depends on which RTS you are talking about, but I dislike most modern RTS for similar reasons. My brother is a huge Starcraft 1 fan and recently played Starcraft 2; his impression was basically the same. It goes so fast you can't enjoy it basically. It's not about strategy to my mind so much as APM and memorizing hotkeys because you can't keep up with the action otherwhise. You can't ever just survey the battlefield and take your time considering what to do. You can do that in a turn-based game such as XCOM of course, but most of the time I'm not a fan of games that force a narrowly specific playstyle like this. A lot of gamers enjoy it, and more power to them. I enjoy things like Factorio, or RTS that have the ability to pause and give orders, AI War 2 being a good recent example that doesn't have heavy time pressure unless you intentionally add it via factions like the Scourge. In both cases the player has a lot of creative liberty in their playstyle.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-17-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:25 PM   #7421
GrantDawg

I just didn't find the turn timer that tough. And I am in general really bad at games.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:33 PM   #7422
GrantDawg

I will just add, my two favorite games probably of all time are Xcom2 and Battletech. But are turned-based, but both also require you to finish missions in a certain time. At first, I had the same dislike for the turn timer, but quickly learned it really wasn't that big a deal. All the missions could easily be done in the time frame without really feeling that rushed.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:27 AM   #7423
Thomkal
Head Coach

Eschalon II, a classic RPG,is free to claim over the next couple days at GoG.com
Old 06-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #7424
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just didn't find the turn timer that tough. And I am in general really bad at games.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it makes it too hard. I'm just saying it makes it not enjoyable/fun.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:27 PM   #7425
Thomkal
Head Coach

EDIT: Wrong game listed for giveaway. Real one is Hell Division, a shooter where you pilot military drones.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-21-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #7426
Thomkal
Head Coach

Free weekend of Football Manager2023.

EDIT: And Stellaris

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-22-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #7427
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Free weekend of Football Manager2023.

That's enough to, what, assess your squad and staff and set up your first training regimen. Maybe do a friendly or two?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 12:37 PM   #7428
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ancient Enemy, a card-based combat RPG, where you fight for the last time against the monster who destroyed most of the world, warping that which remained is free to claim at Gog.com. I've played a bit of this one, and it has some Darkest Dungeon/Slay the Spire vibes. Certainly worth giving it a try.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-26-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:53 AM   #7429
PilotMan
Head Coach

I did it. I got to Level 10 on my steam summer badge and I don't think I've bought a single game yet.

I did buy Steam Decks for my kids for their main Christmas present though. I have near infinite points for whatever I want now though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:14 PM   #7430
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Jan 23 - Jan 30, 2023: Base Builder Fest
Feb 20 - Feb 27, 2023: Mystery Fest
Mar 16 - Mar 23, 2023: Steam Spring Sale
Apr 24 - May 1, 2023: Puzzle Fest
May 15 - May 22, 2023: Sports Fest
Jun 29 - Jul 13, 2023: Steam Summer Sale
Jul 24 - Jul 31, 2023: Stealth Fest
Aug 7 - Aug 14, 2023: Visual Novel Fest
Aug 28 - Sep 4, 2023: Strategy Fest
Sep 25 - Oct 2, 2023: SHMUP Fest
Oct 26 - Nov 2, 2023: Scream Fest (Halloween)
Nov 21 - Nov 28, 2023: Steam Autumn Sale
Dec 21, 2023 - Jan 4, 2024: Steam Winter Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I did it. I got to Level 10 on my steam summer badge and I don't think I've bought a single game yet.

I did buy Steam Decks for my kids for their main Christmas present though. I have near infinite points for whatever I want now though.

nice...i typically make it to 11 but sadly I've only made it to 3 so far. I haven't been keeping up on my badge sets. depression and such
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:12 PM   #7431
Thomkal
Head Coach

Free weekend of Prison Architect on Steam.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:47 PM   #7432
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
FWIW, Jagged Alliance 3 is -20% at $36. Release date is Jul 14.

There's not been EA reviews and the discussion board doesn't have a lot of insight. So TBH a little concerned about how good it really will be.

I think I'll wait for the reviews.

Some Jagged Alliance 3 reviews are out. Some are more favorable than others but basically a solid-to-good game but room to get better.

IGN Error 403 - Unavailable (IFW-U02)

Jagged Alliance 3 review | PC Gamer

Jagged Alliance 3 review: a strong sequel that aims to refresh, not merely repeat | Rock Paper Shotgun
Old 07-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #7433
Thomkal
Head Coach

The Whisperer, a point and click adventure/mystery game where you try to figure out what happened to the residents of a fort in snowy Canada in the early 1800's is free to claim at gog.com
Old 07-14-2023, 08:21 PM   #7434
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just noticed that Xenonauts 2 has a Q2 2023 release date. I'm assuming this is EA release.

Serious concerns about this as Xenonauts has been in development for a long time and forums don't seem very active.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

A couple reviews out for Xenonauts 2 Early Release (Jul 18). Sounds promising.

Never played the original but read it's closest to the older XCom games. Still playing XCom WOTC now and then, but since XCom 3 isn't going to happen (anytime soon), I'll have to pick this up closer to release date.

Xenonauts 2 review – extra tense extraterrestrial tussling | Wargamer

Xenonauts 2 review: old school XCOM-like doesn’t pull punches - Polygon

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-14-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:11 PM   #7435
Thomkal
Head Coach

Free weekends of Two Point Campus and Warhammer: Boltgun on Steam
Old 07-30-2023, 02:52 PM   #7436
Thomkal
Head Coach

Marvel's Avengers is $6 on Steam
Old 08-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #7437
Thomkal
Head Coach

FIFA23 and Forza Horizon 5 are free to play this weekend on Steam
Old 08-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #7438
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Release date revealed for the upcoming HOI4 expansion "Arms Against Tyranny". Drops 10/10/22
Old 08-24-2023, 12:51 PM   #7439
Thomkal
Head Coach

For The King free to play on Steam this weekend
Old 08-24-2023, 02:06 PM   #7440
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
For The King free to play on Steam this weekend

Great RPG. Highly recommend.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 06:56 PM   #7441
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Great RPG. Highly recommend.

It is pretty fun! The only downside is how everything scales with your character.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:24 PM   #7442
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hero of the Kingdom 2 is free to claim over at GoG.com for the next 72 hours
Old 09-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #7443
Thomkal
Head Coach

King's Bounty: The Legend is free to claim at GoG.com over the next couple of days
Old 09-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #7444
Thomkal
Head Coach

Claim the game Ghost Master for free at GoG.com the next couple days
Old 09-07-2023, 02:39 PM   #7445
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam has a Dark Souls sale this weekend-most 50% off
Old 09-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #7446
Thomkal
Head Coach

Requiem: Avenging Angel: A 3D action game featuring a battle on Earth and beyond between Heaven and Hell is free to claim over the weekend on GoG.com
Old 09-08-2023, 10:45 AM   #7447
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fanatical has been expanding into ebooks for a while and have one today (and the weekend?) on International Day of the Programmer 2023 Giveaway. Not sure anyone here is interested, but this is the link for it:

International Day of the Programmer 2023 Free Giveaway | eBook Bundle | Fanatical
Old 09-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #7448
Thomkal
Head Coach

Over at Fanatical, you claim Crumble, a weird physics platformer where you apparently play as a living blue ball trying to make your way through the level using you frog like long tongue to help. Yeah probably why its free

Assassin's Creed:Valhalla is their current Star deal where you can get the Standard Edition for just under $14, and other editions also on sale and more expensive.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:49 PM   #7449
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm.. flabbergusted. the rare combo of Flabbergasted and Disgusted.

this is the only explanation:

Unity CEO: I really loved being the most hated CEO in the world when I was running Electronic Arts. I really wish I could be that hated once again. A red-hot virulent hatred, pitchfork and torches lynch mob glow.. What can I do to get that warm fuzzy of everyone despising me?

Why every game developer is mad right now, explained | PC Gamer

Highlights:

We get paid per INSTALL.
Yes, Per Install. Install a game you own twice? We get paid twice.
Demo? Yup, we want money for people installing your demo
Pirated/cracked versions? Yup. We want that too.

Oh, and this isn't just going forward, we want money per install of all the already-released games that used our engine under good faith going forward.

This guy has a history. He was the one who proposed a $1 reload microtransaction in Battlefield
Old 09-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #7450
rjolley
College Starter

Add to that Unity doesn't have actual sales numbers, they're going to charge based on an aggregate estimate based on a formula that they aren't sharing.

They said Unity doesn't phone home...so how will they track pirate installs? Or reinstalls? The whole thing sounds like a Superman 3-level scheme to devalue the company.

Last edited by rjolley : 09-14-2023 at 03:03 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote