Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #7551
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hogwarts Legacy is at the lowest price I've seen-57% or just over $30 at Fanatical in a limited time "Star Deal" for my fellow last second Xmas shoppers
Old 12-23-2023, 03:26 PM   #7552
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Hogwarts Legacy is at the lowest price I've seen-57% or just over $30 at Fanatical in a limited time "Star Deal" for my fellow last second Xmas shoppers

already have it
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:26 PM   #7553
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
don't click links from me in steam. my account got hacked

worst xmas ever. not only was i hacked but because my password was changed and steam guard reset, i can't trade or buy any steam cards until after the sale
Old 12-23-2023, 03:39 PM   #7554
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
worst xmas ever. not only was i hacked but because my password was changed and steam guard reset, i can't trade or buy any steam cards until after the sale

i think bah humbug! is about the only reply i can give that. sorry CF!
Old 12-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #7555
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I got the links sent to me but I didn't click them. I was going to PM you to see if they were real.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:47 PM   #7556
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

dola:

And looking at the links again I should've been instantly alerted by the link itself. I'm not posting the exact name but it looked similiar to steamcommunity.com/activation/randomcharacters
Old 12-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #7557
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

i have a feeling macroguru clicked on them
Old 12-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #7558
Thomkal
Head Coach

i clicked on it because my keyboard died and i couldn't chat with cf to see if it was real or not. got an AVG virus warning
Old 12-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #7559
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I got the links sent to me but I didn't click them. I was going to PM you to see if they were real.

only my boobs are real
Old 12-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #7560
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Everyone should routinely check their logins on sites that allow it like Steam. A few years ago there was someone from Iran regularly logging into my account. They didn’t buy anything or change my password they were just logging in and playing my games. I changed my password and nothing like that since.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 06:19 PM   #7561
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I once had an attempted log on from Russia.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:06 PM   #7562
MJ4H
Coordinator

Horizon Zero Dawn at -75% ($12.50) was too good for me to pass up. Had it on my radar for a long time for obvious reason.

Also picked up Trombone Champ for < $5, which is hilarious (I've been a professional trombone player for 30+ years now).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 09:31 PM   #7563
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Also picked up Trombone Champ for < $5, which is hilarious (I've been a professional trombone player for 30+ years now).

I don't know if I could play it, but the videos have been cracking me up ever since it got released.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #7564
Thomkal
Head Coach

Still not a big sale on rimworld, but Fanatical has it 30% off the next couple days.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #7565
Thomkal
Head Coach

Lacuna, a sci-fi noir detective adventure game is free to claim at Gog.com
Old 12-26-2023, 11:24 AM   #7566
Radii
Head Coach

I haven't seen Tiny Rogues mentioned here - a rogue-lite bullet hell top down game, it's still in early access but they released a massive content patch recently and there's a lot of replayability for a $10 game, worth checking out if this is your type of game.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #7567
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I picked up Baldur's Gate 3 yesterday. I know my gaming skills have been in decline but dear lord I had no idea it was this bad. I think I've died 4 times in the first couple 'scenes' of the game. I don't want to frame it in 'minutes' or 'hours' since I imagine 16-year old me would have blown past this content in 15 minutes vs the 2.5 hours it has taken me so far as I stumble around mumbling things like "how do I open my journal again?" and accidentally walking into my own death.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:14 AM   #7568
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I picked up Baldur's Gate 3 yesterday. I know my gaming skills have been in decline but dear lord I had no idea it was this bad. I think I've died 4 times in the first couple 'scenes' of the game. I don't want to frame it in 'minutes' or 'hours' since I imagine 16-year old me would have blown past this content in 15 minutes vs the 2.5 hours it has taken me so far as I stumble around mumbling things like "how do I open my journal again?" and accidentally walking into my own death.

Welcome to the "i'm getting old crowd" At least you will have more time to enjoy the game now,
Old 12-27-2023, 03:00 PM   #7569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yeah. I love the game. I think it’s fantastic. That being said, despite having played video games for over 45 years, D&D for almost 44 years, and having played both prior Larian games, I feel overwhelmed at times and make mistakes all of the time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:19 PM   #7570
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah. I love the game. I think it’s fantastic. That being said, despite having played video games for over 45 years, D&D for almost 44 years, and having played both prior Larian games, I feel overwhelmed at times and make mistakes all of the time.

Playing videogames is one of the few things in life that the more time I spend doing it the worse I have gotten at it.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:39 PM   #7571
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm 52 years old. I tried playing Call of Duty online last year. Never doing it again. Now it's PvE games, or strategy games, my time with twitchy gameplay is done.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #7572
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'm 52 years old. I tried playing Call of Duty online last year. Never doing it again. Now it's PvE games, or strategy games, my time with twitchy gameplay is done.

56 and to my surprise I still play MW3 at basically the same middy level I've always played it.

I suspect there's something about "when you're not good, you have less to lose" in there somewhere
Old 12-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #7573
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I suspect there's something about "when you're not good, you have less to lose" in there somewhere

I've been playing Overwatch since launch and have been in Bronze or Silver (the two lowest competitive tiers) the entire time. And I was a passable CS player back in the day....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #7574
Bobble
College Prospect

I just picked up BG3 as well and I'm in that 50-something age bracket. The first thing I thought was that I don't need all detailed graphics. It's great if it was seamless but I notice the half-second wait as it loads things up going from 3rd person to "closeup conversational view" or whatever. I do like having more than 5 pixels that represent a red shield on this fighter and a blue shield on that fighter but I'd rather they spend those 50,000 man-hours on gameplay rather than graphics (looking at you, Madden).

My second gripe is that the ALT button doesn't actually highlight everything that I can interact with. I can open that barrel over there and there definitely are things in there but you didn't highlight that for me.

Other than those old-man-yells-at-clouds complaints, great game.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #7575
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

I came to this conclusion after someone gifted me Elden Ring.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:36 AM   #7576
Radii
Head Coach

I got plat in league of legends this year and it felt like a great accomplishment for my age (I had been plat a number of times years ago). Of course, I have a ton of free time for gaming so when I decide I'm going to obsess about my rank I can really put in some gaming volume.

I definitely prefer leaning into strategy games like Teamfight Tactics though where there's a legit chance to be good if you put in the effort and time.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:20 PM   #7577
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I came to this conclusion after someone gifted me Elden Ring.

Now I know I won't be buying
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 01:22 AM   #7578
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've played 'old man' video games since I was young. I've never really had any enduring fascination, largely due to a lack of skill in them anyway, in arcadey/twitchy ones. So in that sense, age doesn't really hurt me, at least until senility arrives.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:56 AM   #7579
Thomkal
Head Coach

South of the Circle-an atmospheric narrative game where you play as an English academic who crashes lands in Cold War Antarctica and must find a way to escape and make his way back to his life in England. you will experience many flashbacks to his life there as part of the game.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:48 AM   #7580
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I just picked up BG3 as well and I'm in that 50-something age bracket. The first thing I thought was that I don't need all detailed graphics. It's great if it was seamless but I notice the half-second wait as it loads things up going from 3rd person to "closeup conversational view" or whatever. I do like having more than 5 pixels that represent a red shield on this fighter and a blue shield on that fighter but I'd rather they spend those 50,000 man-hours on gameplay rather than graphics (looking at you, Madden).

My second gripe is that the ALT button doesn't actually highlight everything that I can interact with. I can open that barrel over there and there definitely are things in there but you didn't highlight that for me.

Other than those old-man-yells-at-clouds complaints, great game.

I'll second both of those gripes. I have been playing on both my main PC (which handles the graphics no problem) and the steam deck where I had to lower many settings, and aside from wishing the text was bigger on the steam deck I do not care about the graphical differences one bit. Just make the game fun (which they have also done, to be fair).

I just used the 'go to camp' feature for the first time because it felt like I needed to do some kind of rest and so far there has been no indication of what the implications of rest (short or long) might be aside from the positives like recharging spells. It seems to be a pattern in the game where you learn about how things work _after_ you choose to do them, which feels a bit backwards.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-29-2023, 11:35 AM   #7581
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I just used the 'go to camp' feature for the first time because it felt like I needed to do some kind of rest and so far there has been no indication of what the implications of rest (short or long) might be aside from the positives like recharging spells. It seems to be a pattern in the game where you learn about how things work _after_ you choose to do them, which feels a bit backwards.

I don't know if I'm expected to be a D&D 5e player and know all this stuff or if it's just that I know that others already know and have optimized "builds" and whatnot ("you mean you didn't select Fast Foot so that she could convert to Spell Dancer at 7th level!?") but I do feel like I'm behind the curve here on what I'm supposed to know, ya know. No?
Old 12-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #7582
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I don't know if I'm expected to be a D&D 5e player and know all this stuff or if it's just that I know that others already know and have optimized "builds" and whatnot ("you mean you didn't select Fast Foot so that she could convert to Spell Dancer at 7th level!?") but I do feel like I'm behind the curve here on what I'm supposed to know, ya know. No?

The game doesn’t do much, if any, handholding. I’ve never played 5E (still playing 3.0/3.5).

I did play through all three of the Solasta games, which are basically 5e, and not nearly as complex as BG3 and does help get your feet wet in the system and get familiar with some of the concepts.

I, also, spent a fair bit of time reading a lot on builds and such. I enjoy reading and learning about it and love the game, but the barrier to entry is pretty high. It, also, likely helps that I am playing with three friends, so I really only need to pay attention to my character and not three others while playing.

I’m a thief-gloomstalker archer build and having a blast with it. I’m currently 4th level thief and 5th ranger. Next up is three levels of fighter!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:01 PM   #7583
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am surprised at how little help there is in the game when it comes to mechanics. I knew 5e so that helped, and I also was very familar with that type of game which also helped. Still there was a bunch of "oh, you can do that" all through the game.
Quote:
Short rest gives you partial heals (amount based on class and Con bonus) and can recharge spells and abilities that are labeled "x per short rest." Long rest gives a complete heal including removing most conditions, recharges all spells and any ability mark "X through long rest."

Most abilities, especially early on, is recharged on a long rest, but a few recharge on short. Specifically items, but there are some class abilities as well. You just have to read the tool tips on the abilities to know. I know Warlock at some point gets all of their spells back per short rest.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:33 AM   #7584
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am surprised at how little help there is in the game when it comes to mechanics. I knew 5e so that helped, and I also was very familar with that type of game which also helped. Still there was a bunch of "oh, you can do that" all through the game.

Short rest gives you partial heals (amount based on class and Con bonus) and can recharge spells and abilities that are labeled "x per short rest." Long rest gives a complete heal including removing most conditions, recharges all spells and any ability mark "X through long rest."

Most abilities, especially early on, is recharged on a long rest, but a few recharge on short. Specifically items, but there are some class abilities as well. You just have to read the tool tips on the abilities to know. I know Warlock at some point gets all of their spells back per short rest.

I knew about the recharge aspects of the rests, though some of that is my own prior D&D knowledge and some was tool tips. But what I was hoping to have explained to me was the impact of rest on your overall game. If I rest in the middle of a crypt can/will I be attacked? Is there even a difference between the various outer/under world areas in that respect? If I rest does the passage of time impact the story in any way? Does going back to camp reset 'enemy spawns' or anything like that? When I leave camp will I reappear in the same spot I was at when I went to camp or a way point or something else?

Unless I missed it none of that stuff was explained in-game, so as a player you're kind of left to just learn by doing. Even when I did decide to finally just go to camp I discovered that I had to feed my characters 40 points worth of food. This had been kind of hinted at along the way with tips like "you'll need to feed your characters" but I don't remember any specifics like when or how much they would eat. It felt like pure luck that I had hoarded enough stuff beforehand to satisfy the requirement. And what if I had not? I don't think the penalty for being short on food was explained, either (though I'm not positive on that, I could have just missed or forgotten).
Old 12-30-2023, 09:42 AM   #7585
GrantDawg

Quote:
I knew about the recharge aspects of the rests, though some of that is my own prior D&D knowledge and some was tool tips. But what I was hoping to have explained to me was the impact of rest on your overall game. If I rest in the middle of a crypt can/will I be attacked? Is there even a difference between the various outer/under world areas in that respect? If I rest does the passage of time impact the story in any way? Does going back to camp reset 'enemy spawns' or anything like that? When I leave camp will I reappear in the same spot I was at when I went to camp or a way point or something else?

Unless I missed it none of that stuff was explained in-game, so as a player you're kind of left to just learn by doing. Even when I did decide to finally just go to camp I discovered that I had to feed my characters 40 points worth of food. This had been kind of hinted at along the way with tips like "you'll need to feed your characters" but I don't remember any specifics like when or how much they would eat. It felt like pure luck that I had hoarded enough stuff beforehand to satisfy the requirement. And what if I had not? I don't think the penalty for being short on food was explained, either (though I'm not positive on that, I could have just missed or forgotten).
That's designed that way on purpose. They wanted a sense of mystery around time. For the most resting does not effect anything around you. There are only a couple of quests that have some sort of time limit, and they don't even tell you those in the quest. Just rest as needed, you not really going to miss much and it won't affect the main story line at all. You will never get jumped during a rest. If the game allows you to rest (some areas won't let you), then it does because the area is safe to rest through the night.
You need 40 points of rations to rest, and that shows on the screen when you try to rest. Lack of enough points means you don't full recharge with the rest. All that information is in the tool tip when you try to rest.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #7586
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

You should long rest as often as possible. A good portion of the story moves forward at camp during long rests and each rest can only trigger one scene. If you are not long resting you are missing entire story segments and quest chains.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #7587
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

No thank you Steam, I do not need a recap of 2023 that will show me exactly how many hours I put into Football Manager and Dorfromantik.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:02 PM   #7588
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's designed that way on purpose. They wanted a sense of mystery around time. For the most resting does not effect anything around you. There are only a couple of quests that have some sort of time limit, and they don't even tell you those in the quest. Just rest as needed, you not really going to miss much and it won't affect the main story line at all. You will never get jumped during a rest. If the game allows you to rest (some areas won't let you), then it does because the area is safe to rest through the night.
You need 40 points of rations to rest, and that shows on the screen when you try to rest. Lack of enough points means you don't full recharge with the rest. All that information is in the tool tip when you try to rest.

Wow thanks, this is helpful!
Old 01-05-2024, 10:01 AM   #7589
jcard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
56 and to my surprise I still play MW3 at basically the same middy level I've always played it.

My controller jockeying (particularly FPSs) is basically a meme in my family. You know in “The Office” when Jim goes to the Scranton office where the employees there regularly play “Call of Duty” as a team-building activity, and he has no idea what he’s doing. I make Jim Halpin look like John Wick.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:32 PM   #7590
Thomkal
Head Coach

humble bundle has a digital board game bundle right now-35 games and some dlc's with Gloomhaven and Terraforming mars being the biggies.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/p...m_medium=email
Old 01-05-2024, 09:27 PM   #7591
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
humble bundle has a digital board game bundle right now-35 games and some dlc's with Gloomhaven and Terraforming mars being the biggies.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/p...m_medium=email

Nice collection. I'm only in need of a few DLC's among these, but not worthy of the purchase of the bundle.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:07 PM   #7592
Thomkal
Head Coach

Microsoft has a free weekend of their EA/Sports games like Madden, but you have to be certain levels of their GamePass.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #7593
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

All Combat Mission games and DLC (except Final Blitzkrieg) on sale for 50% off for the next 6 days on Steam, Matrix, or Battle Front sites. Also an additional 10% if you buy complete bundles on Steam. I don't know if that extra 10% applies on the non-Steam sites.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:29 PM   #7594
GrantDawg

I.....bought......paid more....F.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:47 PM   #7595
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I.....bought......paid more....F.

Oh no, that sucks. I picked up Normandy and Red Thunder, both complete on holiday sales. Picked up Fortress Italy Complete today. I've barely scratched the surface on Normandy, only so much time in the day. I'm sure I'll never really get my money's worth out of them, but the price was reasonable(?) (I'm sure many would not agree ) and they are there when I get the urge.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #7596
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Oh no, that sucks. I picked up Normandy and Red Thunder, both complete on holiday sales. Picked up Fortress Italy Complete today. I've barely scratched the surface on Normandy, only so much time in the day. I'm sure I'll never really get my money's worth out of them, but the price was reasonable(?) (I'm sure many would not agree ) and they are there when I get the urge.
I just got Black Sea complete. I had picked up complete Normandy, Cold War and Shock Force 2 during the winter sale at just the winter sale 10% discount . I almost picked up Italy Complete today as well (Complete at less than the price of just the game is tempting) but I am enjoying the more modern versions better than the WW2 titles. I have been mostly playing Shock Force, and am enjoying it. I'm a little let down because of the time-frame of Cold War. 1979-81 puts the US equipment more on the back foot. I am way more experienced with the equipment of the 87-92 time frame.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:58 AM   #7597
Bobble
College Prospect

Dominions 6: Rise of the Pantokrator just released. This review says it well:
Iconic strategy game with auto-battle combat. Some of the most interesting nation and hero mechanics of any game. A variety of ways to customise your nation and leaders. The new additions to the game have been long requested by the community and are a great improvement over Dominions 5. For anyone that enjoys strategy or 4x games, this is worth your money.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:34 PM   #7598
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fanatical has a bundle of 14 Star Wars games for just under $20:

Star Wars Collection | Steam Game Bundle | Fanatical
Old 01-19-2024, 07:26 PM   #7599
Thomkal
Head Coach

PC gamer has the details on how to get the excellent Endless Legend game for free if you don't already own it:

One of the best fantasy 4Xs on PC is free while the Steam keys last | PC Gamer
Old 01-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #7600
Thomkal
Head Coach

GOG.com has the game Mordheim:City of the Damned free to claim. Mordheim is part of the Games Workshop/Warhammer universe and is a turn based tactical game