Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Sony just sent me their 40 GB HDD for my PS2, and I've been spending the last half-hour or so installing it and putting it through its paces. The documentation is curiously silent on certain functions, though.

I DO like how they compromised on the "older games can't use the HD" issue. If you have games you aren't currently playing, you can move the saves to your HD for archival purposes, and just transfer them back to the memory card when they're needed.

Games compatible with the HDD won't need to deal with that, of course.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
AgPete
College Prospect

Is Sony releasing any games beside Final Fantasy XI that really take advantage of that hard drive?

Last edited by AgPete : 03-23-2004 at 05:44 PM.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My wife wants FF XI, so I'll probably be getting the game (which comes with the harddrive) soon. I'd really like to hear more about your impressions about the HD.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

AgPete: yeah, SOCOM II, already released, will support the hard drive with downloadable content, and the like. The upcoming Syphon Filter will have some sort of HD support, as, reportedly, will Gran Turismo 4.

I'm sure there will be others as well; Sony wouldn't release something this massive if they were simply going to leave it empty. IMO, at least.

Eaglesfan27: Installation was fairly painless. Took me a total of about 30 seconds. Where I ran into some trouble was figuring out how to back up my game saves to clear out some room on my memory card for the new DVD playback software that comes with the HDD. Turns out you have to create a folder first, otherwise the browser won't recognize the hard drive.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dola:

FFXI and the PlayOnline software come pre-installed on the HDD (they take up around a combined 9-10 GB), but you have to actually have the FFXI disc in the drive to use them, apparently.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So does this mean sony's machine will actually be at or about the same features as the Xbox now, albeit at almost 120 dollars more?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much is final fantasy 11 to play? Something like 12 or 13 a month?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
AgPete
College Prospect

Hey Sack,

Does the USB Headset work with FF XI? I'm wondering how people talk to each other in that game. (besides the obvious PS2 keyboard controller)
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:55 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

stevew: yes and no. Yes in the sense that it has a hard drive, you can store game saves on it, and soon, there will be content download as well.

No in the sense that you can't currently copy music to the hard drive the way you can with Xbox's "custom soundtracks" feature. A Sony rep assured me about 10 minutes ago that there are plans to add that capability via a downloadable firmware update.

As for the DVD software, I'm getting conflicting reports on whether the included software does or does not support progressive scan. My PR rep says 'yes,' the tech support guy says 'no,' so we'll see which is actually the case. Not that I can USE it - my Wega doesn't support it - but it's still information that'd be good to know.

As far as the FFXI monthly fee goes, it looks like it's $12.95/month, or thereabouts.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

AgPete - I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't set up my FFXI account yet, since I don't have a credit card. I'll probably end up bugging either Dad or my brother to let me use their cards to set up the account.

Headset would be nice, but I don't see any mention of it on the game box, and most games that support voice chat are saying so these days.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

After spending most of the rest of the day on other things, I came back to this after Dad loaned me the credit card to set everything up, so the following are my impressions on FFXI setup.

First of all...the discs are going to confuse a lot of people. They give you two, when one of them seems to be effectively useless, as far as I can tell. I popped the first one in, thinking FFXI was already installed, and the only options it gave me were "Start Installation," "Options" (for audio), and "View Intro."

I clicked "Start Installation," and it prompted me to stick in the OTHER disc, to install the PlayOnline viewer. Okay, that's fine. I did that. It took about ten minutes for it to first install the PlayOnline viewer, and then download the myriad updates to it.

Once THAT was finished, it took me maybe another 10 or so to figure out how to access the PlayOnline viewer. Those two discs are now effectively coasters unless I uninstall FFXI at some point and ever want to REinstall it.

Now I'm trying to actually set up the PlayOnline account so that I can go online here. Fun. More to follow as I get there.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:06 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

45 minutes, and countless disconnections later, my PlayOnline ID is finally set up, and I have my first content ID for FFXI. Now, the thing is, they require you to register for the free expansion, as well. They don't charge for it, but you have to register for it.

That's what I'm in the process of trying to do right now, if the server will ever let me through. I suppose that's to be expected, if outlets like EBGames and such got their hard drives today (I know Best Buy didn't get theirs). I just hope this won't be representative of the play experience.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPete
Hey Sack,

Does the USB Headset work with FF XI? I'm wondering how people talk to each other in that game. (besides the obvious PS2 keyboard controller)

Just an update: there is, in fact, no voice communication in FFXI. Apparently the game is both broadband and dial-up friendly, so that certainly explains that.

As far as communication goes, you have three options:

1) Use your PS2 controller. There's a button you can press to call up an on-screen keyboard, but I really wouldn't recommend it unless the monthly fee has left you so destitute that you can't afford a USB keyboard.

2) Get the iType PS2 controller from, I believe, Nyko. Alternatively, there's also Logitech's Netplay controller. Both have keyboards built in, although the Logitech keyboard is much more functional - more buttons for macros and the like, and just generally closer to a 'real' keyboard overall. The other difference? Around 30 or 40 bucks. The iType sells for about $20, while the Logitech controller is much larger and sells for around $50 or $60.

3) Get an inexpensive USB keyboard, like the Sharkboard that GameShark used to produce. I picked up an "Online Gamers' Pack" at work that normally retails for around $40 that included a fully functional USB keyboard (which I've been mostly happy with), a headset for games that support it (and I was pleased to see that in that case, it's actually a generic headset packaged with a USB adapter that allows me to use any headset I want to - so I could use my Xbox Live headset, if the urge struck me, with my PS2), and a network patch cable (which is really pretty useless, but hey, if I get another one, maybe I can just set up a hub in my room for the PS2 and Xbox).

Considering that the Sharkboard used to retail for $20ish, and most of the headsets I've seen are in the $25-$30 range, $40 seems like a fair price for the kit (although not a bargain, by any stretch).

For anybody who has played the PC version and is considering switching to the PS2 version, you'll be pleased to know that the PC controls are compatible with the PS2 version if you have the USB keyboard. The game also supports a USB mouse, so if you prefer the PC setup, but just want to play the game on a system where you won't have graphical issues, etc., that option is available to you.