Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

This could have been disastrous.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/har....ap/index.html

Quote:
YUMA, Arizona (AP) -- A Marine jet carrying four 500-pound bombs crashed into the backyard of a home during a training exercise, but the pilot ejected safely and only one person on the ground was slightly injured, authorities said.

Nearly 1,300 homes were evacuated Wednesday while a military explosives team dismantled the bombs at the crash site in Yuma, about 185 miles southwest of Phoenix. Most people were allowed to return home by late evening.

The Harrier jet was coming in for a landing at Marine Corps Air Station-Yuma when it crashed and burst into flames about a mile from the base, Marine Cpl. Michael Nease said.

"I was just sitting here. It was a low soaring sound. It got real low, it was like a rumbling, and I heard an explosion," said Marita Jane Wichman, who lives about four houses away from where the crash occurred.

The jet was carrying four 500-pound bombs and 300 rounds of 25-millimeter ammunition, none of which exploded. Two homes had some structural damage, Nease said.

One unidentified person suffered a minor arm laceration but apparently no one else was taken to the hospital as a result of the crash, authorities said.

The pilot, who was based out of Yuma and returning from a training mission, was "up walking around" after ejecting, Nease said. His name was not released.

The Marines were investigating the accident but had not determined a cause, Nease said.

Wichman and her 82-year-old mother-in-law refused to evacuate, even though they were urged to do so by authorities.

"Like I say, I'm 82. I'm ready to go. I don't want to leave my animals," O'Neill said. "My contention is if it was going to explode, it should've exploded on impact."

The AV-8B Harrier, a light attack aircraft that can take off and land like a helicopter, was the fourth such jet from the Yuma air station to crash in recent years. A Harrier crashed in Yuma on December 2 and another two crashed in December 2003. In each of the cases, the pilots ejected safely.

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Like I say, I'm 82. I'm ready to go. I don't want to leave my animals," O'Neill said

I hope I'm like this when I get old. I want to be the craziest bastard in my neighborhood.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
I hope I'm like this when I get old. I want to be the craziest bastard in my neighborhood.

Strangely enough with everything else that went on in that story, that's the quote that stuck with me, too. Then again, I want to go out and yell "get off my lawn" in an old man voice in a few years as soon as I have my first house.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

When I used to own a house it was fun to bitch about the neighbors and chase stray cats off my yard.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

My god! I think we should ban this sort of stuff! I mean they crash!!!!!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Strangely enough with everything else that went on in that story, that's the quote that stuck with me, too. Then again, I want to go out and yell "get off my lawn" in an old man voice in a few years as soon as I have my first house.

SI

I've been wanting to get a cane just so I can shake it at the kids while I yell at them.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
hhiipp
College Prospect

Any reason the plane was carrying live bombs and ammunition in a training run?
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
Any reason the plane was carrying live bombs and ammunition in a training run?

Training run was going to end in target practice?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Accoring to more news there are some missing ammunitions. (the following is an updated version of the original story). http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/har....ap/index.html

Quote:
YUMA, Arizona (AP) -- About 300 Marine base workers walked shoulder to shoulder through a southern Arizona neighborhood Thursday in search of any stray ammunition from the crash of a bomb-laden Harrier jet.

As each section was cleared, officials planned to let residents return to the last 52 homes still evacuated after Wednesday's crash in Yuma, said James Stover, the city's public affairs manager.

Hundreds more evacuees had been allowed to go home late Wednesday, hours after the jet plunged into a backyard while trying to land at Marine Corps Air Station-Yuma, about 185 miles southwest of Phoenix.

The pilot ejected safely before the crash, and one civilian on the ground had a minor cut. Two homes had structural damage, Marine Cpl. Michael Nease said.

The plane's four 500-pound bombs were safely removed. They have devices to prevent detonation if they are accidentally dropped from the aircraft or hit the ground in a crash, Nease said.

The plane was also carrying 300 rounds of 25-milimeter ammunition, none of which exploded.

Stover said most of the ammunition had been accounted for. "This is again to make sure there are no loose ends," he said.

The plane crashed and burst into flames about a mile from the base.

Marine investigator were trying to determine what caused the crash, Nease said.

The AV-8B Harrier, a light attack aircraft that can take off and land like a helicopter, was the fourth such jet from the Yuma air station to crash in 18 months. A Harrier crashed in Yuma on December 2 and two crashed in December 2003. In each case, the pilot ejected safely.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI

It is amazing how your neighbor's children stop "accidentally" throwing their footballs, soccer balls, and basketballs when you pull out a pocketknife and put a hole in one prior to throwing it in the garbage before their eyes...
Old 06-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It is amazing how your neighbor's children stop "accidentally" throwing their footballs, soccer balls, and basketballs when you pull out a pocketknife and put a hole in one prior to throwing it in the garbage before their eyes...
The children or the balls?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I bet either is an effective deterrent

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
The children or the balls?

I didn't consider cutting a hole in the children. But tha gives me some ideas...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
I didn't consider cutting a hole in the children. But tha gives me some ideas...

You are evil......I like it.