Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Former Tyco Heads Found Guilty!

15-30 in state prison sounds good. No Camp Cupcake for these boys. Hopefully sentancing gives him a long time in a cold cell:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/17/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Ex-Tyco CEO Kozlowski found guilty
Second trial ends in guilty verdicts for former Tyco chief and the company's ex-CFO Swartz.
June 17, 2005: 3:02 PM EDT
Find Info on over 1.2 Million Executives
Screen by title, industry, location and more to get the executive information...
www.onesourceexpress.com

Part-Time and Interim CFOs
Founded in 1987. Seasoned CFO???s, CIO???s and CTO???s. Experienced...
www.b2bcfo.com

KnowX - CFO Search
Search KnowX's owners and officers database to determine the owner of a business...
www.knowx.com

Chief Financial Officers E-Mail List
Make your next e-mail marketing campaign a success with this opt-in e-mail list...
www.delivra.com

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Former Tyco CEO Dennis Kozlowski and ex-CFO Mark Swartz were found guilty Friday of looting Tyco of $150 million worth of undeserved bonuses and secretly forgiven loans.

They were also charged with misrepresenting Tyco's financial condition in order to inflate the company's share price and then sell $575 million in company shares and options.

A jury of six men and six women came back with their verdict after 11 days of deliberations following a trial in a New York State court that lasted over four months.

The executives' first trial ended in a mistrial in April 2004.

After the verdicts were read, Dennis Kozlowski's face was scarlet red and his daughter buried her face in her hands, according to an eyewitness.

Swartz' wife appeared to be in shock and Kozlowski's wife was crying.

The government requested mandatory jail time of 15 to 30 years in state prison.

Both men were released on their own recognizance Friday.

For an update on Tyco and other high-profile corporate scandals, click here.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Nice to see this. Some object lessons go a long way in keeping corporate executives from getting too drunk on their own power.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

One of my professors at RU was the former COO of Tycom, the telecommunications wing of Tyco and met with Kozlowski on a regular basis. She got out before all the bad stuff went down, but the stories she has about the ridiculous spending, and how Dennis always viewed Tyco as "his" company were crazy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Too bad they don't send him to Leavenworth. I bet they love white collar crime people there.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
and how Dennis always viewed Tyco as "his" company were crazy.

How did he view it as "his" company? Will all his possessions be re-possed and given back to Tyco to sell and keep the profits?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

That is outstanding. I was a consultant at Tyco for almost 2 years right before the story of the scandal broke.

I got hammered in the stock market because I had just bought a bunch of Tyco stock right before it happened. Lost about 75% of my investment in the span of 2 days.

I hope they send him to a federal-pound-him-the-ass prison.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Buzzbee
College Starter

Flasch 'see, I told you all CEO's are crooked' comment in 5...4...3...2...1...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola - And I agree with Kwhit's hopes that they get sent to an rectal expansion prison.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

zero....not "all" but a lot....these guys were too obvious. its the stuff you dont know about (which some say we can't debate because if we dont know about it, it must not exist) that we should worry about.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-17-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Flasch 'see, I told you all CEO's are crooked' comment in 5...4...3...2...1...

Beat me to it....
Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
timmynausea
College Starter

These guys were pretty wealthy. What is the cut off, at this point, for being rich enough to be considered above the law? It seems like it is moving up.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
I hope they send him to a federal-pound-him-the-ass prison.

State prision... so the article says.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
How did he view it as "his" company? Will all his possessions be re-possed and given back to Tyco to sell and keep the profits?

Not sure about your 2nd question...but from what I heard, Kozlowski treated Tyco as if it was "his" company...as in, he was the one who put in the hard work, and therefore was able to use the company's profits like they were his own. This would be fine if he owned Tyco in a private sense, but the problem is that Tyco was a public company which is owned by millions of shareholders. He may have been the one making the decisions that made all these people rich, but the company's profits weren't something he could delve into for his own personal interests (like his wife's multi-million dollar birthday party, his $35,000 solid gold umbrella rack for his house, etc).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Not sure about your 2nd question...but from what I heard, Kozlowski treated Tyco as if it was "his" company...as in, he was the one who put in the hard work, and therefore was able to use the company's profits like they were his own. This would be fine if he owned Tyco in a private sense, but the problem is that Tyco was a public company which is owned by millions of shareholders. He may have been the one making the decisions that made all these people rich, but the company's profits weren't something he could delve into for his own personal interests (like his wife's multi-million dollar birthday party, his $35,000 solid gold umbrella rack for his house, etc).

Thanks, by my second question, I mean, are all his possessions such as the penthouse/apartment, the curtains, the cars/houses, ect. going to be given to Tyco, or will he somehow keep them?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-17-2005 at 03:21 PM.